PDA

View Full Version : Down or Synthetic?

shaca
09-26-2009, 19:35
Im getting ready to set out for for a nobo on the AT in mid March. What do people usually use for sleeping bags. Synthetic or Down? I know that its not good to get down wet, and you will def be getting wet on the hike. Currently im looking at the mountain hardware ultralamina +15 synthetic bag. Any suggestions?

Seeker
09-26-2009, 20:57
do a search, and you'll come up with several threads. in a nutshell, down is lighter and more compact, synthetic fill will not compress as badly (losing insulating value) if you get it wet. IF is really the point. the two schools generally disagree along these two lines of reasoning:

'you have to try really hard to get it wet' or
'once you do, you're screwed'.

personally, i do shorter trips and i favor down. for the AT, when it comes time to make that trip, i will use down. in other (wet/humid) environments, or for trips with no access to a dryer every few days, i would consider synthetic (though i might still keep the down bag).

Frog
09-26-2009, 22:01
I have never had a time when my down bag got really wet. Taking care of making sure it doesn't get wet. I have a M H Phanthom 15 which i love. Very toasty. I used it on Ga hike and we got 4 inches of rain in three days and we all had down bags and no problems. Mostly get a bag that you trust. If you think syn is better for you then get that. but i haven't used a syn bag since 1978

scope
09-26-2009, 22:10
Yeah, lots of discussion on previous threads here, but I'll add my 2 cents...

Basically, down or synthetic, get it wet and you're going to be miserable anyway, even with the insulative value of the syn. There are simply too many methods to be able to keep your bag dry so that getting it wet really shouldn't be an issue. Weight and bulk are the main issues, but down to me just feels better.

slowandlow
09-26-2009, 22:48
Down,Down,Down

BrianLe
09-27-2009, 01:37
I have no objective data for this, but my sense from reading, talking, and doing is that as folks gain more experience and related confidence, they move to down if not already using it from the start.

I agree that either wet bag alternative is miserable --- a wet bag is no fun regardless of type. Fortunately my limited experience with this was quite some time ago (and a synthetic bag at the time). I guess the synthetic adherents would point out that their real issue isn't whether it's "fun" or not, but whether you're safer in a synthetic bag in such conditions. I live in the Pacific NW --- an area known to get wet --- and have used strictly down in recent years. If my bag got wet to the point where I was concerned about safety, I guess I'd use a couple of plastic yard waste bags and duct tape to try to cobble together a poor-man's VB (vapor barrier) liner, and my insulative clothing is all synthtic (FWIW).

I would be very unhappy carrying a heavier and bulkier synthetic bag --- I'd far rather take a little extra care to keep my down bag dry.

Tagless
09-27-2009, 15:36
My wife and I just completed our thru hike (March 3 to September 23) using 40 and 15 degree down bags. We never had a problem despite the fact that this was a very rainy year to hike the AT.

We both used flex garbage bags as pack liners which kept our bags and other contents dry.

Doooglas
10-06-2009, 10:19
Down bags are great in very cold weather.
Synthetics are even better !:D:welcome

ShelterLeopard
10-06-2009, 10:47
Down for me- I've have a great synthetic 0 degree Sierra Designs mummy for the last couple years, but it's time to change to down. As long as you keep it DRY. Down is lighter, more compresible, and more comfortable (in my opinion). But you have to remember to store down bags unstuffed- very important for down.

ShelterLeopard
10-06-2009, 10:50
I have never had a time when my down bag got really wet. Taking care of making sure it doesn't get wet. I have a M H Phanthom 15 which i love. Very toasty. I used it on Ga hike and we got 4 inches of rain in three days and we all had down bags and no problems. Mostly get a bag that you trust. If you think syn is better for you then get that. but i haven't used a syn bag since 1978

That's the one I'm getting! How compressible was it?

skinewmexico
10-06-2009, 10:51
I've come to consider synthetic bags to be more or less disposable, since every time you compress them, they lose a little of their temperature rating, until your 15 degree bag is a 45 degree bag in a couple of years. A good down bag is pricy (WM, FF, Nunatuk, Marmot, Montbell), unless you realize you can use if for 20 years if you take care of it. And like mentioned before, it just isn't that hard to keep one dry.

Rambler
10-06-2009, 10:59
Usually where the bag gets wet is on the foot end when it sneaks out from under the tarp because the terrain was slightly sloped. I would doubt you would ever get your whole bag soaked. Most down bags now have DWR shells that help resist water. Down bags are lighter because less fill is needed to get you the same degree ratings as synthetic bags. Down bags can be compacted down to a much more manageable size than synthetics, too. Go with down, if affordable.

Ditto, Scope's comments above.

tammons
10-06-2009, 11:05
Get a down bag.

Synthetic is too heavy and too bulky for a thru and the insul breaks down etc.

That said if you are set on synthetic the UL 15 would be a good one.

I have had one premium winter bag since the 70's and its still in good shape.
Also have owned a polarguard bag since the 80's - its deflated a good bit.

The trick is to not let a down bag or anything else in your pack get wet in the first place, so pack and hike right and you wont have a problem.

They are better now with DWR coatings etc and that makes a lot of difference IMO.

Take an extra set of cloths and keep them dry.

I read an experience that made sense for synthetic bag. A guy living on the trail for an extended period in winter and liked synthetic because you could climb into a synthetic bag icy and wet and during the night the moisture would drive through. In that case in an extended period where you would not be concerned so much with weight or volume or stuffing it everyday I think a synthetic bag would make sense.

Of course if you stay dry that does not matter.

Spokes
10-06-2009, 11:37
Why not the best of both worlds? Get a down bag for winter then switch to a 40 degree synthetic in summer.

brooklynkayak
10-06-2009, 11:46
I do paddle trips and tend to be more likely to get my bag wet than backpackers, but I still only use a down bag, one with a good water resistance. I also only wear synthetic clothes so if my bag should get soaked, I'd still have some protection.

I also use a light highly breathable bivy when I tarp camp so am doubly protected.

brooklynkayak
10-06-2009, 11:49
PS I had at one time considered layering a light synthetic over a down bag, but nixed it when I saw how heavy and bulky a light synthetic bag was.

brooklynkayak
10-06-2009, 11:53
Of course there is Ray Jardines' opinion:-)
http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Quilt-Kit/index.htm?g_page=18

tammons
10-06-2009, 12:04
I think a synthetic over quilt over a down bag makes sense in extreme cold winter where you can have condensation problems in the outer layer of the bag. IE it would settle and freeze in the over quilt rather than the outer layer of the down bag.

In the summer a synthetic quilt makes a lot of sense.

garlic08
10-06-2009, 18:16
I think there's an article on WB about this, with a great line: "Down is always better, except when synthetic is better", or something like that. That pretty much sums it up.

I really love my down bag and it did very well on the AT last year in lots of rain, and on the Pacific Northwest Trail this year in lots of rain. But yes, there is a potential for problems if you make an error.

Doooglas
10-07-2009, 05:18

This guy and Wiggy hit the nail on the head.
In my neighborhood a down bag will fail while hanging in the closet and your leather boots will be green if you don't wear them for 2 weeks !:eek:

Even when I lived near Catawba.....you thru hikers know where that is.....I could not imagine pitching a tent in a torrential downpour and crawling in, into a down bag.:confused:

BTW. Synthetics only break down if they are built wrong. As nearly all are.

nox
10-07-2009, 11:11
Do you only hike? I canoe (flip canoes) and raft (flip rafts). So I go with synthetic since I have more of a chance of getting it wet. If you aren't planning on dumping it in a river and you only need to worry about condensation, then down makes sense.

JoeHiker
10-07-2009, 11:40
As nox2825 indicated, a big factor in the decsion is how you are using it.

Personally, I only hike and I only sleep in a hammock. For me, down was the obvious choice. I have never even come close to getting my down quilt wet in those conditions. (that's the top quilt. I suppose the underquilt might be a different matter but I put a weathershield on mine)/. The main thing is I don't have to worry about water running into my tent or anything like that.

Now there is the possibility of condensation under a tarp or things like that but these days you can buy bags with water-resistant treatments on the outside that make this not much of a consideration.

Still, all it takes is one mistake to really screw you up if you have down. And I have never hiked for more than two weeks consecutively. Since you are looking at the entire AT, that's different. Since you are considering a bag, not a quilt, I must assume you are not going to be in a hammock.

In that case, given all that, it's probably safest to deal with the extra few ounces and go just synthetic.

brooklynkayak
10-07-2009, 13:02
Do you only hike? I canoe (flip canoes) and raft (flip rafts). So I go with synthetic since I have more of a chance of getting it wet. If you aren't planning on dumping it in a river and you only need to worry about condensation, then down makes sense.

I do paddle trips as much as backpack. I use single wall shelters and I trek in wet North Atlantic coastal areas.
I use a down bag. I double drybag it in my kayak. It has a water resistant shell.

I have never had an issue with my bag getting very wet. The one time it did was when I rolled over into a puddle. The bag was a little damp, but body heat evaporated it by the time I got up.

I keep hearing about these synthetic bags that are almost as light and packable as down, but I have yet to see one. For now I have to use a down bag as a synthetic bag that is warm enough is too heavy and packs too big.

Summit
10-07-2009, 13:27
I have always used and prefer synthetic sleeping bags because I rely on my sleeping bag as a clothes dryer when needed - not a good idea with down bags. The weight differential between equally rated bags has gotten a lot less, with the latest synthetic bags less than a pound heavier than the same temp rated down bag. Not to mention I don't like getting poked by quills! :eek:

nox
10-07-2009, 15:19
The new Primaloft Infinity bags are about as close to down as far as feel and weight. I recently bought the new EMS Boreal 20 and it weighs 3lbs, packs a little bigger than a football and fluffs up to about 5" of loft. I haven't taken it out in the cold to see if it lives up to it's rating yet but i have never had a problem with any EMS gear.

neo
10-07-2009, 15:21
Down,Down,Down

i agree:)down rocks:cool:neo

saimyoji
10-07-2009, 15:38
Why not the best of both worlds? Get a down bag for winter then switch to a 40 degree synthetic in summer.

Yep. S'wat i do.

I think a synthetic over quilt over a down bag makes sense in extreme cold winter where you can have condensation problems in the outer layer of the bag. IE it would settle and freeze in the over quilt rather than the outer layer of the down bag.

In the summer a synthetic quilt makes a lot of sense.

actually, layering over a down bag is a bad idea. You'll just compress the puffy down, reducing the insulative ability. Down bags all have DWR coatings to deal with condensation. If the condensation is so bad in your tent that your bag is soaking through, your problem probably lies elsewhere. You can add insulative layers inside the down bag that will work, like a down jacket.

I have always used and prefer synthetic sleeping bags because I rely on my sleeping bag as a clothes dryer when needed - not a good idea with down bags. The weight differential between equally rated bags has gotten a lot less, with the latest synthetic bags less than a pound heavier than the same temp rated down bag. Not to mention I don't like getting poked by quills! :eek:

there are so many things wrong with this post, i'll just say this: you're wrong. :D

tammons
10-07-2009, 16:07
Yep. S'wat i do.
actually, layering over a down bag is a bad idea. You'll just compress the puffy down, reducing the insulative ability. Down bags all have DWR coatings to deal with condensation. If the condensation is so bad in your tent that your bag is soaking through, your problem probably lies elsewhere. You can add insulative layers inside the down bag that will work, like a down jacket.

You are not following what I am talking about.

In extreme cold, lets say a constant 5dF to -10dF or below, when you sleep in a sleeping bag alone body moisture permeates through the bag. The condensation side of the fabric is inside of the bag on the outer shell surface. Condensation builds up there inside your bag and it freezes and cyles over and over again. If you use a synthetic over quilt, and if it is Somewhat loose made out of sul ripstop with XP or primaloft it will not compress a down bag that it will make any real difference.

That said when using an overquilt it moves the frozen condensation layer out to the synthetic quilt instead of inside your down bag where it is easier to deal with and your down bag stays dry.

Of course you could wear a vapor barrier and you would not have condensation inside the bag at all.

brooklynkayak
10-07-2009, 18:41
The new Primaloft Infinity bags are about as close to down as far as feel and weight. I recently bought the new EMS Boreal 20 and it weighs 3lbs, packs a little bigger than a football and fluffs up to about 5" of loft. I haven't taken it out in the cold to see if it lives up to it's rating yet but i have never had a problem with any EMS gear.

That's good to know. I know in the past, synthetic would loose it's loft after repeated packing. Down would retain it's loft much longer after repeated squishings.
Has there been any improvement there? I'd heard that the original Primaloft suffered from this loss of loft over time.

Summit
10-07-2009, 18:43
there are so many things wrong with this post, i'll just say this: you're wrong. :DAnd let me just add . . . provide proof that I'm wrong and in what ways? I guess my experience is lying to me! Maybe I should bow down to a superior know-it-all! :-?

Tilly
10-07-2009, 19:00
My wife and I just completed our thru hike (March 3 to September 23) using 40 and 15 degree down bags. We never had a problem despite the fact that this was a very rainy year to hike the AT.

We both used flex garbage bags as pack liners which kept our bags and other contents dry.

Yup. Horrifically rainy year. I questioned trail runners and almost bought waterproof hiking boots and gaitors, but not once did I question having a down sleeping bag. Making the switch never crossed my mind.

saimyoji
10-07-2009, 20:43
And let me just add . . . provide proof that I'm wrong and in what ways? I guess my experience is lying to me! Maybe I should bow down to a superior know-it-all! :-?

well, i can't speak about what experiences you think you had....i can tell you that you are the first person i've ever heard of prefering synthetic over down for the reasons you've stated....

...drying damp/wet clothes with a down bag....done it many times, in fact got the idea from someone here on WB.

...weight differential...down still wins every time

...quills???? please....seek help.

saimyoji
10-07-2009, 20:46
well, i can't speak about what experiences you think you had....i can tell you that you are the first person i've ever heard of prefering synthetic over down for the reasons you've stated....

...drying damp/wet clothes with a down bag....done it many times, in fact got the idea from someone here on WB.

...quills???? please....seek help.

and let me add that i don't care what you prefer, just letting you know that you're wrong....because you are.....

....wrong that is. :D

Peace be with you brother.

http://api.ning.com/files/Nh2C*gJhYhSx51bauUV0GxLWtLxDx0SvMo91Vyvuoyei8X3PWA Ho2XFLntFdAFxxNGFiwsONcU83SFIdBegGPwxlExjbhLnQ/800pxTouched_by_His_Noodly_Appendage.jpg

Summit
10-07-2009, 21:21

...quills???? please....seek help.Well, not having used a down bag myself I can't speak to how drying wet clothes in them affects the bag's insulating ability. I think it was Mags (correct me if wrong) who said he dries damp clothes in one but wouldn't dry soaked ones.

I did agree there was a slight (not as much as used to be) weight advantage to down. I checked on REI and in their ultralight sleeping bags section found two +15 degree bags, with the down weighing 2 lbs 8 oz, and the synthetic weighing 3 lbs 1 oz, well within what I stated in my horribly "wrong" post.

The quills thing was mostly just a joke, although I did read on a post within the last year here someone saying that down feathers poking through and having to be pushed back in was their only negative about down bags.

So I think it is perfectly fine for you and others to disagree with which you prefer to use, but to declare me totally wrong is arrogant, silly, and . . . well . . . wrong! :p

Peace to you too! :)

saimyoji
10-07-2009, 21:40
Well, not having used a down bag myself I can't speak to how drying wet clothes in them affects the bag's insulating ability. I think it was Mags (correct me if wrong) who said he dries damp clothes in one but wouldn't dry soaked ones.

I did agree there was a slight (not as much as used to be) weight advantage to down. I checked on REI and in their ultralight sleeping bags section found two +15 degree bags, with the down weighing 2 lbs 8 oz, and the synthetic weighing 3 lbs 1 oz, well within what I stated in my horribly "wrong" post.

The quills thing was mostly just a joke, although I did read on a post within the last year here someone saying that down feathers poking through and having to be pushed back in was their only negative about down bags.

So I think it is perfectly fine for you and others to disagree with which you prefer to use, but to declare me totally wrong is arrogant, silly, and . . . well . . . wrong! :p

Peace to you too! :)

so you've never actually used a down bag, but consider yourself qualified to suggest that synthetic is better? wow.....just.....wow. and then you call me names like silly, arrogant? you've got issues bud.

tammons
10-07-2009, 21:55
I dont think there is anything wrong with down.
Nothing wrong with synthetic either.
Each has good and bad qualities.

I will say if they ever come up with a synthetic insulation that has the same qualities, stuffs as small and lasts as long as down, but dries faster when wet and does not lose its loft when wet, I will be the first in line.

I am sure its just around the corner.

saimyoji
10-07-2009, 21:59
I dont think there is anything wrong with down.
Nothing wrong with synthetic either.
Each has good and bad qualities.

I will say if they ever come up with a synthetic insulation that has the same qualities, stuffs as small and lasts as long as down, but dries faster when wet and does not lose its loft when wet, I will be the first in line.

I am sure its just around the corner.

don't forget cheaper. :D

tammons
10-07-2009, 22:12
Gees you are telling me. If you are buying around 20-35dF down bags they are not too bad. Into the expedition range and holy smokes they are super expensive.

That said in 1977 or 1978 I bought a snowlion top of the line -40 down bag, 1.9 oz ripstop and 4# even, for around $500. Wonder what that is in todays money 30 years later.

A expedition bag now would be cheaper for sure adjusting for inflation.

Still have it and its in good shape considering its age. Never really use it anymore though.

I used to take trips out to Colorado and NM a lot.

Bulldawg
10-07-2009, 22:16
Gees you are telling me. If you are buying around 20-35dF down bags they are not too bad. Into the expedition range and holy smokes they are super expensive.

That said in 1977 or 1978 I bought a snowlion top of the line -40 down bag, 1.9 oz ripstop and 4# even, for around $500. Wonder what that is in todays money 30 years later.

A expedition bag now would be cheaper for sure adjusting for inflation.

Still have it and its in good shape considering its age. Never really use it anymore though.

I used to take trips out to Colorado and NM a lot.

And I would imagine not very UL worthy either?

Tin Man
10-07-2009, 22:26

personally, i avoid porcupines, but whatever turns you on :eek:

tammons
10-07-2009, 22:34
And I would imagine not very UL worthy either?

How much does a new -40dF bag weigh now ??
A mountain hardware bag weighs 4# 12oz

Mine weighs 4# with 10" of loft and full length dual YKK zippers, but without the baffle. The snap in bafffle weighs about 8 oz.

Just guessing I would say its probably 900 loft down.

Snowlion was a superb gear maker. If they were still around I would still be buying their gear.

HAve another snowlion polarguard bag and a polarguard Parka. Both still good, but heavy.

nox
10-07-2009, 22:47
/Users/lindsey/Desktop/porky.jpg

nox
10-07-2009, 22:48
That was supposed to be a pic of a porcupine... DOH!!

saimyoji
10-07-2009, 22:51
That was supposed to be a pic of a porcupine... DOH!!

here ya go:

http://www.impawards.com/1982/posters/porkys.jpg

nox
10-07-2009, 23:01
Let me try this again... http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/3/4/7/2/porky.jpg

Tinker
10-08-2009, 00:03
I've been using down since 1985 with no problems except for a leaky shelter roof once. I just put a plastic bag over the bag where the drip was and dried the bag the next day. Using a tent will practically guarantee that your down bag will stay dry. Even if it gets damp, usually your body heat will dry it overnight. If your bag gets damp and it's really cold out, take a hot water bottle to bed to help you stay warm and dry the bag out.

Jayboflavin04
10-08-2009, 02:09
Down,Down,Down

pretty much. I think majority on WB will say down.

Summit
10-08-2009, 06:58
you've got issues bud.If you look at my initial post that you took unrealistic issue with, I said I "prefer" synthetic, and gave my reasons why. I disagree with you that such comparison requires that I be an expert in the use of the comparison product. If that were the case, most of the opinions on WB would have to be thrown out, as no one has "tried them all."

All any of us do on gear is give our opinions, which are all subjective. So the guy who states someone's subjective opinion is flat out wrong also says that person has "issues." I'd say it's the other way around, bud! :eek:

You don't even know me and claim to know that I have "issues." Isn't that exactly what you accuse me of . . . not having tried a down bag? How is it you can "know" something without the experience and I can't? :eek: So much for the "peace" you feigned. :) Yeah, I've got issues . . . one of the biggest being arrogant people.

Lone Wolf
10-08-2009, 07:01
Im getting ready to set out for for a nobo on the AT in mid March. What do people usually use for sleeping bags. Synthetic or Down? I know that its not good to get down wet, and you will def be getting wet on the hike. Currently im looking at the mountain hardware ultralamina +15 synthetic bag. Any suggestions?

i hiked 10 years with a 20 degree cats meow synthetic. synthetic works just fine

saimyoji
10-08-2009, 12:52
If you look at my initial post that you took unrealistic issue with, I said I "prefer" synthetic, and gave my reasons why. I disagree with you that such comparison requires that I be an expert in the use of the comparison product. If that were the case, most of the opinions on WB would have to be thrown out, as no one has "tried them all."

All any of us do on gear is give our opinions, which are all subjective. So the guy who states someone's subjective opinion is flat out wrong also says that person has "issues." I'd say it's the other way around, bud! :eek:

You don't even know me and claim to know that I have "issues." Isn't that exactly what you accuse me of . . . not having tried a down bag? How is it you can "know" something without the experience and I can't? :eek: So much for the "peace" you feigned. :) Yeah, I've got issues . . . one of the biggest being arrogant people.

you just don't get it. but that's okay. have a nice day. :sun

Mags
10-08-2009, 13:03
How much does a new -40dF bag weigh now ??

The 4lbs you quoted is quite nice to say the least. I have a -20F synthetic...and that thing is a BEAST! (I just can't justify the price for a winter down bag the way I can with a 3 season down bag).

...but that's why the good lord invented backcountry ski huts. ;)

tammons
10-08-2009, 13:15
Yep true cold weather synthetic bag are very heavy.

Geez, the other snowlion polarguard bag I have weighs 4# too but its good to 35dF.

I was nuts when I bought that -40 bag, broke and in college but at 20 I had aspirations of doing some hardcore mountain climbing so it was justified.

Got married, college, divorced so that wrapped up the mountaineering.

I did use it quite a bit through the years since I prefer winter hiking and camping. Mid winter on the AT in Ga in the 80's and out in Colorado and New Mexico etc in the mountains.

Its very much overkill though and way too much for the AT in winter unless you are in Maine.

For what I do and I would be better off with a -10 or a -20 bag.

This thing is seriously warm, like even in 15dF you will probably need to vent. That said crawing into that bag in severe cold is really nice.

Tried to sell it not too long ago for $200. Not one taker. Nuts considering a new -40 bag cost like $800++.

Guess I will save it for when the next Ice age hits. Possible I might end up in Alaska sometime soon, so a big plus there.

Berserker
10-08-2009, 13:31
Man, that was a good read. That Jardine is something else isn't he. I like some of his ideas, but he is out there on some other stuff. I'd be curious to hear about how his down bags got so wet. I have been in all night deluges before in a sil-nylon shelter that was misting with a down bag, and it didn't even really get so much as damp on the outer shell. Then of course it has a DWR so I was able to shake most of the moisture off the next morning.

Anyway, I've used both and prefer down. It weighs less and compresses much smaller. Also, one would really have to be negligent with the bag to get it wet enough to where it would be dangerous to be in it. Lining the pack with a trash compactor bag will keep it dry, and a pack cover or rain poncho can be used in addition to ensure it stays dry. The only point in time it could get wet would be in the shelter (tent, tarp, etc.), and as long as that's set up in a well draining spot the bag shouldn't be getting wet unless the shelter catastrophically fails...in which case I'm thinking that the type of bag one has is going to become an afterthought whilst scurrying around trying figure out what to do.

Mags
10-08-2009, 13:49
but at 20 I had aspirations of doing some hardcore mountain climbing so it was justified.

Same here..I just could never afford a really good winter down bag until a few years ago. (Now I can't afford it again..but that's another story. :D).

I was all gung ho to be a hard core winter climbing guy. Played in the Whites in January, did a fair amount of winter camping in Colorado, etc. I bought the ice axe, crampons and double boots (I was also in my early 20s..this sounds familiar! :) )

But, well, 4x a year (at most) did not really justify a top of the line bag for me. When I live 45 minutes away from the Continental Divide (well, the trail head anyway) and can ski to my hearts content, hard to go winter camping.

I love MOVING all day. I am not a camper. I've done the snow cave thing a fair amount of times. But, being in the dark by 6 or even 5 pm? Not for me.

Then I discovered huts. Ski hard all day. Have a fire at night and cook a yummy meal. And I am not in the dark at 5pm waiting until 8am to get light out!

I still have the -20F synthetic for the odd time I go winter camping (maybe once a season now? I also take it for car camping when I go to Utah in November. :) )

There are many reasons why I never got into mountaineering (money, did not want to put the time to get to the next level, too much gear for my taste, I love backpacking, etc.), but a big reason is simply because the thought of sitting in my tent for hours..if not days..would drive me bonkers! :)

If I had the money to burn, I'd buy the down bag off you, though. $200 for a -40 down bag? Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamnnn.

tammons
10-08-2009, 14:01
My original intention was to sell it since I dont really need a -40 bag. I decided to nest a couple of bags like a narrow something or another inside a Montbell SS UL #0 to get me to -20 and that would weigh about 4-4.5#, and that would be more versitile than a -40 bag.

Now I have a MB #1 spiral and am building a climashield quilt so that plan has changed.

After I thought about it a while I am so attached and have owned it forever so I might as well keep it. Geez even just the down inside the thing is worth more than $200.

I do plan to spend some time in Ak someday soon, so its probably a real good idea to keep it.

Although extremely high quality but, about the only thing I dont like about it is no DWR. Maybe I could spray it, but not sure about that.

Gaiter
10-08-2009, 21:01
one of the biggest being arrogant people.

you have multiple personalities?

DavidNH
10-09-2009, 08:34
I hike always with down bags. Warmer for less weight and very comfy,

As to the getting wet issue, just don't let bag get wet. Stuff sleeping bag into water proof stuff sack and that into waterproof bag and put in bottom of pack which has pack cover on when it is raining. Take bag out only under shelter roof or tent or tarp. Even when it rained hard, my bag never got more than a bit damp, nothing good ol body heat couldn't deal with.

David

skinewmexico
10-09-2009, 10:15
at 20 I had aspirations of doing some hardcore mountain climbing so it was justified.

Didn't we all.........

kunzman
10-12-2013, 17:16
My son and I have 4 bags of varying temps:

15 degree down North Face
20 degree synthetic North Face
32 degree synthetic UltraLamina Mountain Hardware
45 degree synthetic Lamina Mountain Hardware

My strategy is we can mix and match what we take per conditions. We take the 15 and 20 in winter, the 20 and the 32 late fall / early spring, and the 32 and 45 in the summer. Would have preferred down for all but we will sometimes be canoe camping in wet conditions.

RED-DOG
10-12-2013, 19:04
I use Synthetics only, it's all i have ever used, But i can't tell you how many times i have seen people hike all day in the rain and get to a shelter and their down bags would be dripping wet, they would end up freezing all night, Down is horrible when wet, Synthetic retains it's heat value when wet, my advice to you is go Synthetic.