PDA

View Full Version : Hiking trails near Charlotte

tucker0104
09-27-2009, 10:08
Does anyone have any recommendations for a two day hike within an hour of charlotte that is either a loop or has inter connecting trails that will bring you back to where you started? Thanks.

bwb49
09-27-2009, 16:02
There are a couple of possibilities that are within an hour + from Charlotte. One area is the Birkhead Wilderness area and the other is the Uwharrie National Forest. The web link to Uwharrie is http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation/uwharrie/index.htm. I am attaching maps and info on Birkhead. I usually camp at site #1B, there is a spring at the bottom of the hill from the camp site. There is also a nice spring at site #3. The Birkhead Wildnerness hike is a nice fairly easy hike and is a loop and is not far from Charlotte. There are many possibilities in Uwharrie. Hope this is helpful.

tucker0104
09-27-2009, 17:11
Thanks. I am just looking for a good hike for a co-worker and it is his first time hiking/camping.

bwb49
09-27-2009, 17:34
I think the Birkhead would be a very good trip for a new guy to backpacking/camping.

g8trh8tr
09-27-2009, 21:03
Crowders Mtn State Park:

http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/crmo/activities.php

morgan
09-27-2009, 21:41
South Mountain State Park just south of Morganton is a great place. It's a 45 to 60 minute drive from Charlotte. Lots of water, several waterfalls, nice camping areas in the backcountry, trout fishing and many loop options. I highly recommend it.

Kings Mountain State Park and King Mountain National Military Park in South Carolina (just across the state line on I-85) is another option. It has a nice 15-mile loop with backcountry camping areas. Plenty of water, nice rolling piedmont forests, but no views.

Tennessee Viking
09-28-2009, 09:04
There is Crowders and Morrow State Parks. The Uwharrie Trail is 20 miles from Ophir to around Troy. For Birkhead, there are 3-4 trails that meet together and make a loop.

South Mountain is really nice from what I hear. Linville Falls and Harpers Creek areas in the mountains.

Other than that, Caesars Head, Table Rock, and Jones Gap area in SC.