PDA

View Full Version : Re-Stuffing Down Sleeping Bag?

Low Impact
09-27-2009, 19:28
Hey All,

One of my WM Sleeping bags has lost quite a bit of down over the past two years. Is there any place that I can send this thing off to where it can be re-stuffed?

Is that service actually offered anywhere?

Also - anyone have any idea how much this may cost?

Any info would be SWEET.

Thanks!

shelterbuilder
09-27-2009, 20:37
No clue about this type of service, but I'm curious - exactly HOW did you lose enough down to need this type of service????

Or, did the down simply de-loft (dirt/grime/oils, poor storage, etc.). If this is the case, have you tried washing the bag first?

At the risk of sounding preachy: down has a certain amount of loft ; it is the air trapped within this loft that keeps you warm. If you add more cubic inches of down to the baffles than the baffles were designed to hold, you won't make the bag any warmer; in fact, it's possible to make it less warm by filling in some of that dead air space with the extra down!

skinewmexico
09-27-2009, 20:51
I'd send it back for warranty. There's no way it should have lost enough down to be noticable.

Jayboflavin04
09-28-2009, 07:26
Are you sure it is a down loss problem? If it is I am sure WM will take good care of you via warranty. If it is a down loss problem you would have visibly noticed, if is mysteriously disappeared I would wash it.

Keep us posted I am sure I am not the only one scratching their heads on this one.

Tipi Walter
09-28-2009, 07:36
One good thing about WM bags as compared to, let's say, North Face down bags, is that they are generously filled with little empty fabric areas. I've had a WM Puma for the last two years and would send it back if I had a noticeable loss of down. Then again, if a bag is stored stuffed it won't have any loft which could duplicate loss-of-down.

I started out on a fine North Face down bag 30 years ago when the company was known for making excellent down bags(in fact, their premier product was a down bag called the North Face), but over the years their quality has gone way down, in my opinion. I got my GF a Blue Igloo down bag and found it to be 50% underfilled so we sent it back. I use a NF Nupste down jacket for winter backpacking and find it underfilled and mostly shell fabric. I'm in the market for another beefier down jacket.

Jayboflavin04
09-28-2009, 08:04
One good thing about WM bags as compared to, let's say, North Face down bags, is that they are generously filled with little empty fabric areas. I've had a WM Puma for the last two years and would send it back if I had a noticeable loss of down. Then again, if a bag is stored stuffed it won't have any loft which could duplicate loss-of-down.

I started out on a fine North Face down bag 30 years ago when the company was known for making excellent down bags(in fact, their premier product was a down bag called the North Face), but over the years their quality has gone way down, in my opinion. I got my GF a Blue Igloo down bag and found it to be 50% underfilled so we sent it back. I use a NF Nupste down jacket for winter backpacking and find it underfilled and mostly shell fabric. I'm in the market for another beefier down jacket.

I like your gear reviews Tipi. What kind of jacket are you looking at? Let us know what you buy.

coldspring
09-28-2009, 09:07
I also recommend washing it. If that doesn't work, and it was a model with identical fabric on bottom and top, you could send it to Tim Marshall Outdoors and have it turned into a quilt for $50.

garlic08
09-28-2009, 11:37
Ditto all the above. You could also try contacting Rainy Pass in Seattle.