PDA

View Full Version : The Connecticut Challenge

ridgewalker777
08-04-2004, 12:55
Are there any reports of hikers who have recently hiked thru CT in 24 hours? This was beyond me...I suppose as a slack-pack, it would be conceivable.

Bear Magnet
08-04-2004, 13:11
Are there any reports of hikers who have recently hiked thru CT in 24 hours? This was beyond me...I suppose as a slack-pack, it would be conceivable.
According to journal entries last year, Anishnabe did CT NOBO in a day. She was an ultralight hiker, who, according to one journal entry she wrote, had a "runner's high addiction."

Squeeze, a hiker from Northern Ireland, did the Smokies SOBO in 24 hours. That's 70 miles. I ran into him at the Doyle where he talked about doing it. I mentally scoffed. Then I ran into Miss Janet at the base of Katadhin and she confirmed that he had done it (Or at least claimed to have done it. I suppose that unless there were witnesses for either Anishnabe or Squeeze we can't be 100 percent sure, but I do take them at their word.)

Bear Magnet
Jonathan Amato

warren doyle
08-04-2004, 13:37
During the 1970's and 1980's, hiking the CT section (which varied from 56.4 miles to 61 miles) was done various times by college students on the annual 'Superhike'. I would imagine the number of superhikers numbered around 50.

The CT section from the 1990's to the present is shorter now and has been done quite a few times on an individual/small group basis.

As a matter of fact, over the years Connecticut 'young tigers' have the highest percentage of endurance hiking records than any other state (i.e., Doyle, Kostak, Palmer).

The states easiest to do in one day on the AT:

1) West Virginia (with a 4-5 hour car ride in between the two short sections)

2) Maryland ( as part of the three-four state challenge)

3) Connecticut

4) Georgia

5) Massachusetts

poison_ivy
08-04-2004, 14:33
While not a thru-hiker, there is a woman named Stinkyfeet that just hiked (or trail ran) the entire CT section on June 29, along with a friend. She began at 5 a.m. and finished around midnight. She is an amazing lady and truly and inspiration to me!

- Ivy

Youngblood
08-04-2004, 16:32
According to journal entries last year, Anishnabe did CT NOBO in a day. She was an ultralight hiker, who, according to one journal entry she wrote, had a "runner's high addiction."

Squeeze, a hiker from Northern Ireland, did the Smokies SOBO in 24 hours. That's 70 miles. I ran into him at the Doyle where he talked about doing it. I mentally scoffed. Then I ran into Miss Janet at the base of Katadhin and she confirmed that he had done it (Or at least claimed to have done it. I suppose that unless there were witnesses for either Anishnabe or Squeeze we can't be 100 percent sure, but I do take them at their word.)

Bear Magnet
Jonathan Amato

Bear Magnet, I think you got Squeaky and Squeeze mixed up.

Squeaky: http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1425/password/0/sort/3/cat/500/page/1

Squeeze: http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1014/password/0/sort/3/cat/500/page/1

Youngblood

The Solemates
08-04-2004, 18:15
We did CT in 2 days during our thru-hike if that counts for anything. This included a stop into Salisbury for supper one night as well.

Warren...I guess it would be possible, but has any thru-hiker really ever done GA in a day? Maybe a trail-runner out for a ultramarathon type challenge, but this would seem crazy for a thru-hiker. I guess only if you were a SOBO really wanting to get done.

Jack Tarlin
08-04-2004, 18:55
I haven't heard of anyone who's hiked all of Georgia in a day.....and I sort of suspect nobody has.

Why do I feel this way?

It's simple. If someone had accomplished this somewhat dubious feat, I've no doubt that they'd have publicized it, as "feats" of this sort are virtually without exception trumpeted and advertised, as tho we're supposed to be impressed.

"Speed records" are always trumpeted, advertised, and boasted about, often years after the "record" took place. Therefore, if someone, for whatever reason, had managed to finish Georgia in a day, I suspect we'd know about it, as what goes along with the "speed record" itself is an intense and powerful need to let other folks know about it, often for years thereafter.

If I'm wrong, and someone that I've never heard of has managed to knock off Georgia in a day, I applaud them. Sort of. That's some serious mileage. I hope they go back some day and and give the section the time and respect it deserves. And I applaud their modesty in refusing to crow about an accomplishment or "record" that the vast majority of the hiking community couldn't give a rat's ass about. I'd be a lot more impressed if I found out who spent the MOST time hiking the Georgia section---discovering who had managed to hike the Trail in Georgia or anywhere else, and in so doing had done it quicker than anyone else....well, for the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone would possibly care.

ridgewalker777
08-04-2004, 19:46
I still believe in the hiking philosophy of the Green Mountain Club--the blue ribbon belongs with the "maximum enjoyment" hike, an intangible to be sure. Let's keep it intangible, the finest experiences and virtues are not recordable except in the memories and hearts of the participants. I ran into a fellow first in Massachusettes and then Connecticut last week, just out of high school and he wanted to get an experience of the world with an Appalachian Trail hike. What was encouraging was how little he needed in the way of equiptment--his tent was a poncho, his trail was fairly light, he was taking his time to talk to people, experience the Trail in a very unstressful way. I could not enjoy hiking easy sections more, if I were hiking 10 miles a day instead of 20-25, unless an event developed which made it worthwhile to do so.

stranger
08-05-2004, 06:38
I met this guy in 2001 about 20 miles outside of the DWG at a shelter. He woke me up real early when he came in, probably around 5am or so, so we started chating. I asked him what he was doing arriving at a shelter at 5am? He just said he was trying something and wanted to see if he could do it. I asked him what he was doing and he kinda avoided the question. I took a hint and just started talking about the trail in general.

We started talking about Port Clinton, the fact that there was no cash machine in town, the PO, Hotel, etc...I mentioned I was able to get cash from the PO and he mentioned he arrived on Sunday and the PO was closed. What made this interesting was the fact that it was Tuesday morning when we had this conversation. He said he was off the the water gap and I wished him well.

Then I spoke to someone else and learned he had left Port Clinton around 5am on Monday, and hiked some 50 miles in 24 hours, and continued another 20 into DWG after we talked. The cool thing was he wasn't throwing it around...he just had a personal challenge.

I respect him for hiking 70 miles in 28-30 hours, but the thing I thought was cool was the fact that he didn't make a big deal about it...he didn't even mention it after being asked. Saying that, that's the only time something like that has happened to me, usually you know exactly how many miles someone is attempting to do in a day...not always by choice either.

warren doyle
08-05-2004, 11:09
Solemates,
I have not heard of anyone doing Georgia in 24 hours but it could be done by a hiker/runner. I just don't think it has been attepted yet.
I base my opinion with the fact that Massachusetts has been done in 24-25 hours.
Good hikes to all whether at 4 miles a day or a 80 mile day!

By the way, most of the 'publicized' hikers on the AT in the last ten years (i.e., the ballet dancer, Bryson, Scott Rogers) have not even hiked the entire AT yet have garnered more 'fame' than those who do the entire trail whether in 10 months or 48+ days.

Jack Tarlin
08-05-2004, 12:30
Actually, Warren, the most publicized hike on the Trail in the last ten years was the late Earl Shaffer's 1998 hike, and while he'd been legendary in the hiking world for over fifty years, it is only towards the end of his life that he received, attracted, or sought out any publicity. In fact, he was a quiet, modest, unassuming man who generally shied away from attention and notoriety....in 1998, he even stopped signing registers because people were tearing out his entries as momentoes, and he was afraid that other hikers' entries and comments would be lost in the process.

"Speed record" hikers are another story; they're intent on crowing about their accomplishment and letting as many people know about their hikes as possible.

But then, it's understandable why they have to relentlessly self-promote, as no reputable hiking club or organization keeps such records, verifies them, recognizes them, publicizes them, or wishes anything to do with them.

warren doyle
08-05-2004, 12:44
Good point about Earl, Jack. I have edited my post to reflect this omission.

DMA, 2000
08-05-2004, 21:44
I may have set one of the records Jack mentioned.

I hit the NC line on my 13th day out, having taken only one zero. I was never again so happy to cross a border.

Jack Tarlin
08-05-2004, 22:01
Great work, DMA!

But next time why not take it easier---slow down and enjoy yourself!

TedB
08-05-2004, 23:41
I'd be a lot more impressed if I found out who spent the MOST time hiking the Georgia section

I did pretty good in Georgia, so I think I'll dig out my notes. I started May 16 at Amicalola S.P. Visitor Center and reached the North Carolina line on June 8. So 23 days to finish Georgia and it was awesome.

P.S. I did take 6 zero days off in the middle, so I'm not sure if that invalidates the record. Still, 17 of 23 days had at least some hiking.

P.P.S. I don't see anything wrong with doing a big day or two, that sounds like fun. However, it isn't the only thing the trail has to offer, so only if every day becomes a big mileage day does it seems that something is missing. The trail ain't no freeway or is it? My feeling is that all thru hikers have a little bit of freeway mentality in them. Always pushing for a few more miles, thinking about where they want to be instead of living in the moment, getting upset if they get slowed down by an unexpected obstacle. The last mile of the day was always the hardest for me, no matter how longer or how short the day was. I think it has something to do with that desire to be somewhere else, the darn freeway mentality getting the best of me.

P.P.P.S. Freeways suck. :(

Lone Wolf
08-06-2004, 14:28
Me and Gypsy took 9 months to hike 1500 miles in 2000. I spent 15 grand. That's gotta be some sort of record!

Mountain Dew
08-07-2004, 05:45
Lone Wolf.... Man I bet that was a great time. That amount of cash and time always = fun on the trail. :clap

TedB.... And just when I thought my 13 days in Georgia back in '03 was a long time I read your entry. Took the wind out of my sail !

DMA, 2000
08-07-2004, 13:01
Jackie, you ain't kidding. Except for Day 1 to Stover Creek, and Day 6 to Neel's Gap, I worked HARD to drag my too heavy pack and out-of-shape, way too fat carcass through Georgia. Hell, when I started, my hip belt wouldn't even reach all the way around (though it finally did on the day I pulled into Fontana). I would love to go back and take it easier just by doing the same mileage in shape.

Flash Hand
08-08-2004, 08:55
During the 1970's and 1980's, hiking the CT section (which varied from 56.4 miles to 61 miles) was done various times by college students on the annual 'Superhike'. I would imagine the number of superhikers numbered around 50.

The CT section from the 1990's to the present is shorter now and has been done quite a few times on an individual/small group basis.

As a matter of fact, over the years Connecticut 'young tigers' have the highest percentage of endurance hiking records than any other state (i.e., Doyle, Kostak, Palmer).

The states easiest to do in one day on the AT:

1) West Virginia (with a 4-5 hour car ride in between the two short sections)

2) Maryland ( as part of the three-four state challenge)

3) Connecticut

4) Georgia

5) Massachusetts

What about New York and New Jersey? I assumed that they are easier than Georgia.

Flash Hand :jump

Flash Hand
08-08-2004, 08:58
Jackie, you ain't kidding. Except for Day 1 to Stover Creek, and Day 6 to Neel's Gap, I worked HARD to drag my too heavy pack and out-of-shape, way too fat carcass through Georgia. Hell, when I started, my hip belt wouldn't even reach all the way around (though it finally did on the day I pulled into Fontana). I would love to go back and take it easier just by doing the same mileage in shape.

yeah that happed to me also ... i finally realized that I got heavy pack when I got to Woody Gap and shed some pounds :datz ... then after that, I am a happy hiker with smile from ear to ear. :D

Flash Hand :jump

Bear Magnet
08-08-2004, 19:42
[QUOTE=Youngblood]Bear Magnet, I think you got Squeaky and Squeeze mixed up.

I certainly did. I meant Squeaky. Thanks.

Bear Magnet