PDA

View Full Version : anyone been on GA AT in recent flooding rains?

DavidNH
09-28-2009, 08:23
I've heard a lot on the news about the serious flooding rains in Georgia. Got to thinking, If it is that bad, it can't be good on the AT. So have any of you poor souls been out there on the trail during this time of flooding? Must have been a mess. what was it like?

David

Bulldawg
09-28-2009, 08:31
I wasn't on it DURING the rains. But I did hike the northernmost section yesterday. Much better than I expected. Hardly no mud holes. Very well drained. Wet as can be expected, but nearly as bad as what I though it might be. Kudos to Mother Nature and Smokestack for the excellent trail maintenance in that section.

bigmac_in
09-28-2009, 09:35
I was on the AT from Deep Gap to Rock Gap two weekends ago. It started raining on Saturday night and rained hard until we finally gave up and got off at Rock Gap on Monday. Walking in the rain wasn't too bad, but the trail was either a small creek or a long mud puddle. Walked in standing or flowing water most of the time. Several areas had white water flowing across the trail. There were 2 places where I didn't feel comfortable with the stability of the trail on the mountainside, but for the most part is was fine. We would have kept going another day, but the rain showed no sign of letting up, and we didn't want to set up in the rain for one mroe night.

bigmac_in
09-28-2009, 10:05
Here's my friend, The Piddler, on the trail. Yes - that is the AT.

toccoaspinner
09-29-2009, 09:46
I was on the trail from Amicalola to Neels during that mess. I got the heck off of it too. I went back Sunday and hiked from Neels to Unicoi yesterday. Trail seemed fine. Some blow downs here and there but nothing major at all. Plenty of water sources though!

jorhawle
09-29-2009, 17:13
On the trail in the Smokies during the rain...everything I had got soaked. Climbed to Clingman's just before the heavy stuff hit and found a ride out. A disappointing trip, drove 6 hours to hike in the rain and give up.

Mocs123
09-29-2009, 17:45
I went Neel Gap to Amnicalola Falls State Park last weekend during the mess. There were a few blow down and the trail was a river especially going up Springer. Justis Creek was also above my knee.

Here I am on Springer Mtn
http://inlinethumb26.webshots.com/17945/2339937620086983979S600x600Q85.jpg

Egads
09-29-2009, 17:49
Mocs,

Are those canoe paddles in your hands?

Mocs123
09-29-2009, 18:07
I probably would have gone faster if they were!

Hooch
09-29-2009, 18:18
Was on the trail Sunday and Monday between Blue Ridge Gap and Deep Gap. Weather was picture perfect on Sunday, a little foggy hiking out Monday morning. The trail was a little damp, a little mud here and there, but otherwise the trail was in good shape and very passable. All water sources were flowing very nicely, so staying hydrated wasn't a problem.

BTW, I second waht Bulldawg said about the trail maintenance in the area. Smokestack, Mother Nature and all the other maintainers in that area did an excellent job keeping the trail clear.

Monkeyboy
09-29-2009, 21:24
I was on the AT from Deep Gap to Rock Gap two weekends ago. It started raining on Saturday night and rained hard until we finally gave up and got off at Rock Gap on Monday. Walking in the rain wasn't too bad, but the trail was either a small creek or a long mud puddle. Walked in standing or flowing water most of the time. Several areas had white water flowing across the trail. There were 2 places where I didn't feel comfortable with the stability of the trail on the mountainside, but for the most part is was fine. We would have kept going another day, but the rain showed no sign of letting up, and we didn't want to set up in the rain for one mroe night.

That was stupid........... :D

Hooch
09-29-2009, 21:27
I was on the AT from Deep Gap to Rock Gap two weekends ago. It started raining on Saturday night and rained hard until we finally gave up and got off at Rock Gap on Monday. Walking in the rain wasn't too bad, but the trail was either a small creek or a long mud puddle. Walked in standing or flowing water most of the time. Several areas had white water flowing across the trail. There were 2 places where I didn't feel comfortable with the stability of the trail on the mountainside, but for the most part is was fine. We would have kept going another day, but the rain showed no sign of letting up, and we didn't want to set up in the rain for one mroe night.Worst.......complaint.......ever.......:eek: :rolleyes::D

That was stupid........... :DReally. :-?

58starter
09-30-2009, 13:52
I am going from Unicoi to Deep Gap starting Oct 11, will it still be raining?

Gray Blazer
09-30-2009, 13:56
I am going from Unicoi to Deep Gap starting Oct 11, will it still be raining?

Is it 5:00 somewhere?:rolleyes::p