PDA

View Full Version : Is this the time of year the SoBos are reaching GA?

Ridgeline
09-28-2009, 13:45
Was thinking of doing a small section of GA next week and just trying to gauge how crowded the trail might be around tues. or wed. of next week.

GeneralLee10
09-28-2009, 13:50
This is something I was curious to know. I was going to call and arrange a shuttle and was going to ask then. It would be cool to run into some people though. What section will you be doing? I was thinking of Springer to Dicks Creek Gap mite go further N. though.

Lone Wolf
09-28-2009, 13:52
most sobos are still north of damascus

Buzz_Lightfoot
09-28-2009, 14:36

Heck I am still seeing them at Culver's Gap in NJ as I drive to/from work.

emerald
09-28-2009, 14:40
Was thinking of doing a small section of GA next week and just trying to gauge how crowded the trail might be around tues. or wed. of next week.

There aren't that many SOBO thru-hikers! They start mid-June at the earliest and a through hike is a four month commitment for most at best.

Jack Tarlin
09-28-2009, 15:28
Most SOBO's don't get to Georgia til Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Which is just one reason most folks don't wanna go SOBO, but that's a discussion for another time.

Most of 'em are still in Virginia somewhere.

Red Hat
09-28-2009, 17:21
Most SOBO's don't get to Georgia til Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Which is just one reason most folks don't wanna go SOBO, but that's a discussion for another time.

Most of 'em are still in Virginia somewhere.

That's exactly what I was going to say... not till between Thanksgiving and Christmas, and most are in northern VA.

Jester2000
09-28-2009, 17:45
There are still SOBOs passing through Harpers Ferry right now.

Chaco Taco
09-28-2009, 17:52
Typically you will start to see some in NC TN around first week of November

Nearly Normal
09-28-2009, 19:52
I met a couple of guys in Nov at Low Gap. Got there early, picked up fire wood, ate supper. These guys came in at dark after 25 miles.
Drank a little of my bourbon, and stayed up late. Good folks but funny with the yogi ****.

toccoaspinner
09-29-2009, 09:20

I just came off the trail and have gone from Amicalola to Unicoi. Trail isn't crowded at all above Neels Gap. It's not crowded below either but I did have company in the shelters south of Neels, not north.

toccoaspinner
09-29-2009, 09:22
Typically you will start to see some in NC TN around first week of November

I did pass the first one of the year last week. A young guy w/ curly blond hair and nothing more than a camelback mule. He stayed at the hostel the night before me and complained about how cold it was. Duh! You don't have a sleepingbag....

BAG "o" TRICKS
09-29-2009, 09:49
Seven sobo's at the Doyle last night. They'd better get walkin'

coheterojo
09-29-2009, 10:17
Every year since 2004 I've done section hikes on the AT the week after Christmas. I started at Springer and have made it all the way to Sam's Gap, NC. Every trip I've met 2 or 3 SOBOs in the last stages of their hikes.

I remember one guy who was just skipping down the trail with a beatific smile, repeating "I'm in Georgia. I'm in Georgia!"

Spokes
09-29-2009, 16:09
I just got a jury summons for the first week in November. Bummer. But after that I plan on driving down to Georgia and spread good cheer........

Pickleodeon
09-30-2009, 10:36
I couldn't believe that I was still seeing SOBO's as late as I was. I finished Sept 12th, and I was still seeing them in NH and Southern Maine.

I met a group of 3, and the girl didnt have a sleeping pad! She had a blue rectangular sleeping BAG from wal-mart! and she was freezing. She didn't even get to the Whites yet!! Hopefully she gets some better gear.

I also met a guy SOBO who bought all of his food ahead of time. His budget for each month was $10 for the first 3 months of the hike. (I'm pretty sure it was $10) He said he planned to use it for laundry. Uh, what if it's cold and raining for 5 days and you want to dry out at a hostel? Or what if you want, I dont know, a burger? Budget spent. Jeez.

Pedaling Fool
09-30-2009, 11:02
I couldn't believe that I was still seeing SOBO's as late as I was. I finished Sept 12th, and I was still seeing them in NH and Southern Maine...
Same here when I hiked in 2006. I also saw two SOBO'ers somewhere in NC at the beginning of my hike(late March); I heard they got slowed down by the cold winter.

Jack Tarlin
09-30-2009, 11:25
There are still SOBOs going thru Hanover, met one today in fact.

I hope they've got lots of extra clothes.

Blue Jay
09-30-2009, 22:59
Seven sobo's at the Doyle last night. They'd better get walkin'

Why, the Smokies are much easier in the Spring.

Fussymary
10-03-2009, 08:49
I ran
into two SOBO's yesterday in southern MA - so they are still north of Harpers and very spread out.

energy_turtle
10-03-2009, 10:25
I nearly had the trail to myself south of Blood all the way to Amicalola this week, and north of Blood wasn't crowded at all.

brewer
10-09-2009, 17:30
I'm a SOBO in Tn. I was in the teens as far as SOBO checking in at Harpers Ferry. I've been passed by a couple guys now, but my goal to finish the trail is in the first week of Nov. There should be about 20 SOBOs ahead of me. We'll be in Ga late Oct and early Nov. but I think you can count on there being SOBOs in the area consistenly after that I would guess. News doesn't really travel up the trail so well, so I could be wrong on how many are behind me.

Spot In The Sky
10-11-2009, 20:26
Im looking to start my SoBo thru hike next July 1st. Is that too late or no big deal?

dreamsoftrails
10-11-2009, 20:40
I couldn't believe that I was still seeing SOBO's as late as I was. I finished Sept 12th, and I was still seeing them in NH and Southern Maine.

I met a group of 3, and the girl didnt have a sleeping pad! She had a blue rectangular sleeping BAG from wal-mart! and she was freezing. She didn't even get to the Whites yet!! Hopefully she gets some better gear.

I also met a guy SOBO who bought all of his food ahead of time. His budget for each month was $10 for the first 3 months of the hike. (I'm pretty sure it was $10) He said he planned to use it for laundry. Uh, what if it's cold and raining for 5 days and you want to dry out at a hostel? Or what if you want, I dont know, a burger? Budget spent. Jeez.

some hikers are actually men... :sun

Frick Frack
10-12-2009, 10:23
Im looking to start my SoBo thru hike next July 1st. Is that too late or no big deal?

Perfect time to start. We started June 13th last year and the conditions were horrible (mud, rain, bugs). Your date would be much better. Best of luck!

Frick Frack
10-12-2009, 10:28

We were in the Virgina Highlands, VA (of course) this date last year and probably mid-pack with the 2008 sobo's if that gives you any reference. We hit GA line on 9th of November.

BevH
10-13-2009, 13:28
I live in Central Virginia and have seen quite a few SOBOs. Generally they say they want to finish in October.