PDA

View Full Version : Springer in May for Section Hike

Ladytrekker
09-28-2009, 14:54
I have a hiking group and about 6 to 8 of us want to section hike from Springer to Neals and maybe a little further in May. Actually thinking May 17th thru 23rd.

If we start this late in May will we have given the thrus a good start not to interfere with large groups of them getting on the trail? Thought if we started on a Monday that also may cut down on crowds.

Just looking for a little insight.

max patch
09-28-2009, 15:25
Thrus will be long gone by mid May.

Except for the occasional straggler, May 1 is about it for nobo thrus.

bigcranky
09-28-2009, 16:23
That's actually a nice time to hike in Georgia. Our first section hike started the last week in May. We had a couple of cool nights (in the 30s), but overall the weather was nice, the trail was in pretty good shape, and not too crowded (we saw a total of four hikers in the first three days.)

daddytwosticks
09-29-2009, 07:46
Ditto...May is one of my favorite times of year to be hiking the southern AT. Cool nights, warm days, minimal humidity, fresh green leaf coverage, minimal bugs (except watch out for chiggers!)...:)

Lyle
09-29-2009, 10:34
I hiked Amacalola to Fontana around that time, actually a bit later, in '08. Met a surprising number of folks who were starting a thru. Probably 20 or so. Also, a lot of long-distance hikers doing 1000 miles or so.

I was disappointed at the number of hostels that had closed up shop by that time.

Was generally a great time to hike. Plenty of folks, but usually room in the shelters if you so choose. Only a few times in really stormy weather when some were forced to use tents because of space issues.

Blissful
09-29-2009, 14:13
Bring tents with that big a group.