PDA

View Full Version : Section of PCT

cmcdonal2001
09-28-2009, 15:29
Next year, around mid-June/early July, I'm looking to hike a section of the PCT (as I've heard it's beautiful), but I live nowhere near there so I have no idea which part to go to. I'm thinking I'd like an 8-10 hike, maybe 10-15 miles per day, with a resupply city somewhere near the middle. Nothing weather or terrain-wise really bothers me so anything will work, but I'd like it to have some nice forested areas. Any ideas?

sarbar
09-28-2009, 18:47
Why forested? The prettiest parts are above tree line, but that is IMO of course.....

A-Train
09-28-2009, 20:04
Next year, around mid-June/early July, I'm looking to hike a section of the PCT (as I've heard it's beautiful), but I live nowhere near there so I have no idea which part to go to. I'm thinking I'd like an 8-10 hike, maybe 10-15 miles per day, with a resupply city somewhere near the middle. Nothing weather or terrain-wise really bothers me so anything will work, but I'd like it to have some nice forested areas. Any ideas?

Depends on the year and the snow level. In a high snow year the only suitable place to hike that time of year is in the Sierra. I would recommend Kennedy Meadows to Bishop, or Bishop to Mammoth Lakes/Red Meadows.

I would check out Lake Tahoe to Sierra City (100 miles) or you could keep going to Quincy, about another 40-70 miles. I really enjoyed this section thru the Desolation Wilderness and Granite Chief Wilderness

Dicentra
09-29-2009, 15:09
Why forested? The prettiest parts are above tree line, but that is IMO of course.....

Ditto that.

And it really depends on what the snow levels etc are doing as well...

Jonnycat
09-29-2009, 23:41
Bear in mind that part of the year is prime mosquito season in Oregon, depending on when the snow melt occurs.

mudhead
09-30-2009, 04:45
I can understand wanting to see some of those big West Coast trees, if I were in Farmington, NM. Maybe a little of each would be good. Couple of mother trees would be fun at least.:)

It is a safe bet that the OP stands in a door and watches rain. With a smile.
Bet that doesn't happen in the PNW!

sarbar
09-30-2009, 10:20
I can understand wanting to see some of those big West Coast trees, if I were in Farmington, NM. Maybe a little of each would be good. Couple of mother trees would be fun at least.:)

It is a safe bet that the OP stands in a door and watches rain. With a smile.
Bet that doesn't happen in the PNW!

Lol...only if I don't have to be outside :p

As for the trees, the really, really gorgeous ones are not in the mountains up high but rather lower, in the temperate coastal rain forests that fringe our states :) Don't get me wrong, there are sections of forest up high in Washington State that are very pretty but honestly, they are what separate the meadows and the views. You plod through waiting for the next burst that takes you up high. The forest is often side hilling as well, so just open forest, on one side of a mountain or ridge.

But ah, to hike the lowland old growth forest? That is such a different feeling :) Especially near the Pacific Ocean. In winter when the fog rolls in through the tree tops or in spring when the elk run below you in the rivers.

The forests of the ONP and as well the Redwoods are so different than being up high. Almost spiritual in a way....

cmcdonal2001
09-30-2009, 15:11
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. And you're right, I DO get in a good mood on the rare rainy days here. I'm originally from MI, and I miss overcast and 60.

The reason I'm looking for forested areas is really as Sarbar stated. There's something about an big, old growth forest that I really enjoy. Plus, I just did the first 150 miles of the CT this past summer, so I wanted to switch it up a little bit and maybe stay below treeline.

burger
09-30-2009, 21:49
Actually, I thought the best forests on the entire trail were the old growth stands of foxtail pine and lodgepole pine in the Sierras, especially in the southern Sierras. If you did Kennedy Meadows to Bishop, you'd get to see a lot of really nice forests (as well as some awesome scenery above treeline).

cmcdonal2001
10-01-2009, 09:47
Alrighty, that's two votes so far for Kennedy Meadows to Bishop. Next question is: does anyone know a good guidebook that contains that section?

The Weasel
10-01-2009, 10:59
If you can handle altitude, consider the southern approach to Mt Whitney. You can start about 35 miles south of it, and the elevation gradually gets to about 9,000 (I should check this but that's my recollection) at the base of Whitney. You can then summit without a permit (a one day up/down) and then continue north if you wish. Lone Pine is a nice town at the very base of Whitney (about 10 miles east of it) with some fun western movie history to it.

TW

Dicentra
10-01-2009, 23:09
I did the section from Snoqualmie to Stevens (in WA) this year. It has a lot of what you are looking for... It's about 75 miles total. We did it in 5 days, about 15 miles per day. No "huge trees" but you will pass some nice forests, lots of lakes, and KILLER views. A chunk got closed due to fire after we went through, so check before going first.

TwoForty
10-03-2009, 16:58
I'll also second the Kennedy Meadows to Bishop section. If you are looking at doing that, why not just try the JMT though? You don't have to be a purist. Choose any path between what you want to see, that is what I did. The trail cycles between valley and pass many times, so you get it all. Views, forests, meadows, treeline (fox tail pines!), lakes, river valleys, streams flowing through cool forests.....
Treeline is about 10,000 feet out there.

The forests of the Sierra are the greatest that I have ever seen, except *maybe* the Glacier Peak wilderness which ranks a close second. It actually reminds me of a smaller, more remote version of the Sierra. And believe me, you'll get to know some of those trees in the GPW very well. I wouldn't do it before August though.

But seriously, do the Sierra. You don't need a guidebook. All you need is the appropriate Tom Harrison maps. I would suggest the JMT map pack if you stick to that route. It's pretty much the same thing as the PCT route, but better. Where the PCT diverges from the JMT, take the JMT. The PCT goes for dusty ridges that overlook pretty areas (good views) while the JMT goes through the pretty area (less views, better forests).

Dogwood
10-03-2009, 18:36
For late June/early July in a forested section I'll also give a shout for the Sierras joint JMT/PCT tread. By this time the snow has melted enough so you can easily note the passes but there is still enough snow left at the highest elevations to make your pics postcard perfect. Bugs will start to be an issue at this time though. Get the JMT book by Karen Berger. It has the info you need. The Sierra part of the PCT is not all above timberline. Actually, I don't think most of it is. Plenty of huge virgin growth Lodgepole, Ponderosa, Jeffrey, Foxtail, and White pine plus some impressive ancient Sierra Junipers and even Aspen stands. I would also expect wildflowers to be in bloom.

cmcdonal2001
10-05-2009, 22:35
Thanks again for all the suggestions. I'm not a purist, so I'll go for ANY trail with what I'm looking for. I'll check out the JMT section you guys are mentioning.

skinewmexico
10-05-2009, 22:42
I really can't imagine anything on the CDT being any more beautiful than the area an hour from Farmington. But that's just me.

cmcdonal2001
10-06-2009, 20:40
I haven't hiked a WHOLE lot of the CDT or the CT, but I'd have to agree. The south San Juans (especially around the Silverton area; I just spent the weekend in a cabin up there) are amazing.

sbhikes
10-10-2009, 22:22
If you really like forest, why not start at the Washington/Oregon border? You are very low in altitude so the snow won't be so bad, and it's rain forest. Head up to Goat Rocks and beyond to White Pass. Goat Rocks, in my opinion, was the highlight of the entire trail. I was there in clear skies. It was absolutely amazing. And maybe if that's not far enough for your timeframe, go on to Chinook Pass or Snoqualmie (but you'll have to hike through the ugliest part of Washington if you go that far.)