PDA

View Full Version : "How to" advice for sleeping bag purchase...

4shot
09-28-2009, 21:02
"Newbie" here, have some general experience with camping and overnight backpacking. If things go as planned I will start at Springer in early April. Have read some/talked to the people at the REI store...so my question is, how in the heck does one sort through the myriad of options and just pick a bag? i have decided on down, I'm a cold sleeper so I am looking at a 10 degree bag or so andhave a budget to deal with. I am interested in the REI radiant bag but don't have time/energy/resources to guess wrong. Where/how do I start? (I have stove/pack/pad/tent/boots I like so this is my next/biggest gear purchase).Thanks for any advice/suggestions/comments.

Feral Bill
09-28-2009, 21:10
You have plenty of time to try out the REI bag this fall and winter. If you don't like it return it. The wonder of REI.

bigcranky
09-28-2009, 21:14
Bill has a good point. As long as one doesn't abuse the return policy, it's a good way of hedging one's bet on an expensive item of gear. You could, for example, sleep on your porch or in the back yard on a very cold night to check out the bag.

tammons
09-28-2009, 21:46
You really need to go into a store and climb into a few bags.

First of I would say get a left zip, unless you have a reason for a right zip.

Alternately as mentioned above, buy from a store with a good return policy and try it out for a few nights.

Are you a back sleeper or a side sleeper.
If a side sleeper are you going to leave the top of the bag open
or roll over with the entire bag with the hood closed down to a breathing hole.

Personally I tend to roll the entire bag over when its cold enough to fully close the hood.

Also I cant handle a really tight bag. Drive me nuts.
If you sleep on your back and never move most any mummy will do. If you move a lot or side sleep you will need more room.

The Montbell UL SS bags are very comfortable. Some people dont trust the stretchy thread part to last for a lifetime, but they have a ton of room. Very comfortable IMO.
The MB Spiral is lighter but not as roomy.

I would say starting in april 15dF would be good if you have an insul/clothing layer to carry it down to 0dF if you need to.

There are a lot of good sleeping bags out there. Its difficult to find exactly what will work 100% the way you want it to without trying it.

What pad are you using ??

tammons
09-28-2009, 21:48
Oh, what is your budget ??

Wags
09-28-2009, 21:53
i'd suggest getting a 15 degree bag. you'll likely have a down or primaloft jacket for camp, so if it's super cold at night you can wear that to bed. if you're on a budget a +10 is going to be too hot for all but the coldest days. also, i'd suggest buying a good bag the 1st time, b/c if you really like backpacking, you'll end up buying a good bag eventually. anything 800 fill down from western mountaineering, marmot, montbell or mountain hardwear will be good

also, i will never, ever buy a bag w/o a full length zipper so i can open it up like a quilt on warmer nights.

Manwich
09-28-2009, 22:01
Buy the most expensive bag you can find. It'll help you sleep at night when you rub it in everyone's faces online.

J5man
09-28-2009, 22:27
[quote=tammons;899910]You really need to go into a store and climb into a few bags.
Best advice anyone can give you....

First of I would say get a left zip, unless you have a reason for a right zip.

Check both, you might want a right zip for no apparent reason; I do.

There are a lot of good sleeping bags out there. Its difficult to find exactly what will work 100% the way you want it to without trying it.

I second that emotion! If you are claustrophic-ish there are wide mummies available. It took me forever to find one I really liked but I climbed into about 25 bags before I chose one.

Have fun:banana

4shot
09-28-2009, 22:46
You really need to go into a store and climb into a few bags.

Are you a back sleeper or a side sleeper.
If a side sleeper are you going to leave the top of the bag open
or roll over with the entire bag with the hood closed down to a breathing hole.

Personally I tend to roll the entire bag over when its cold enough to fully close the hood.

Also I cant handle a really tight bag. Drive me nuts.
If you sleep on your back and never move most any mummy will do. If you move a lot or side sleep you will need more room.

The Montbell UL SS bags are very comfortable.
I would say starting in april 15dF would be good if you have an insul/clothing layer to carry it down to 0dF if you need to.

What pad are you using ??

Space/room is critical for me in a bag as I move around alot. Until now, have never needed or considered a mummy.I do like the idea of crawling in them which the folks at REI let me do. However while it's great for testing fit it's not so much for understanding how it will work in the field although the temp rating for the REI bag, along with the Marmot and MH, is alledgely calibrated to some European standard. I have heard good things about the Montbell bags but looking for something around $200 or less (+/-)if possible. My pad is awesome (Exped Synmat 9) which is heavier/bigger than most would prefer or recommend but is by far the best for comfort I have ever tried. I have decided from past experiences that being able to get a good night's sleep is at or near the top of my priority list.

tammons
09-28-2009, 22:50
The reason for me mentioning a left zip is most side entry one man tents have the entry on the left side.

Does not really matter in a lot of cases though.

tammons
09-28-2009, 23:07
Exped pads are nice. Just heavy.

I had one and it was too hot for me for normal 3 season weather. Very nice in very cold winter weather though

Probably an overkill for the AT for most of the year when a neoair large on a blue pad would be a lot less weight. Actually I think my neoair on my blue pad is more comfortable than my exped mat was. Never have been able to figure out why except it must be the sideways baffles on the neoair.

$200 is tight. I think prolitegear sells the MB spiral #1 for $240 but its not as stretchy like the SS bags it is somewhat large though. With a large exped mat a golite 20 quilt would probably work very well, but maybe not warm enough if you are a cold sleeper. A heck of a lot lighter and about $200.

A campmor 20dF bag is cheap. $120 I think and wighs 2#4oz which is not too bad.

The campmor 0dF bag is 3#5oz and $150

Dont know about the ratings of campmore bags. The montbell bags are true comfort ratings, not a minimum.

Cool AT Breeze
09-28-2009, 23:07
If you are right handed you want a left zipper.

skinewmexico
09-29-2009, 01:18
REI has a 20% often coupon about 4 times a year. But I always recommend saving a little more, and getting a Western Mountaineering.

mudhead
09-29-2009, 04:52
If you are right handed you want a left zipper.

Maybe for normal people. I am righty, but cannot function with left zipper.

All what you get used to I guess.

4shot
09-29-2009, 06:33
REI has a 20% often coupon about 4 times a year. But I always recommend saving a little more, and getting a Western Mountaineering.

very soon plus a fall sale per the guy at the store. Not sure which bag(s) will be on sale but I'll check back. Just curious, have you ever tried the REI bag before switching to the Western? My budget is somewhat flexible but, like everyone else, can't afford to overspend either.

brooklynkayak
09-29-2009, 07:12
There is a tendency for the inexperienced to start out with a bag that is too roomy. If there is a lot of room in your bag it will be colder on those cold nights. But a bag that is too tight will compress your down and reduce insulation.

Wearing extra layers of clothes can make your nights 20 or 30 degrees warmer. It also makes it easier to get up in the morning and it dries out damp gear after wet hikes.

Layering bags is what I do for real cold weather. A 20 degree bag for fall and spring, 40 degree bag for summer, and both layered for winter. Add some long underwear and fleece as needed. Bounce the unneeded bag on ahead.
Carrying a winter bag when it isn't needed is a drag.

Schuetzen
09-29-2009, 08:10
ProLite Gear has the Montbell #2 long for $277, the regular is about $10 less, they also have soome of the colder rated bags.

buz
09-29-2009, 09:19
Something you should do is get in bags at some outfitter near you, and take note of what bag exactly you got in for fit. Then at the store and/or back home, get the dimensions of the exact bag you were in, length, girth, etc. That will estabilish a baseline for you on what is a good fit, making it much easier to shop for a bag on line and possibly buy it without sleeping in it, and having it be a wise purchase. Personally, I would think a 15 bag would be plenty for your start date, temp wise. Any lower temp, and they are not usuable in the really warm months. This could likely be the only bag you buy, so go for quality. MH, MB, WM, Marmot, even REI brand, get some 800 fill bag and I think you will not regret spending bigger money up front. If you buy, maybe wait until winter, so you can test sleep at a low temp and make sure it works for you, and send back if you don't like. REI is the champ for this. good luck.

skinewmexico
09-29-2009, 09:58
very soon plus a fall sale per the guy at the store. Not sure which bag(s) will be on sale but I'll check back. Just curious, have you ever tried the REI bag before switching to the Western? My budget is somewhat flexible but, like everyone else, can't afford to overspend either.

I've never tried any bag before buying it, and didn't realize a bag could be tiny until I found a great deal on a North Face Hightail. So once I knew what was tight, it was easy to look at specs and not make that mistake again. I found an amazing deal on a WM Megalite last year, and it's their biggest mummy, or I wouldn't have it.

JAK
09-29-2009, 11:52
I have learned to spend very little on gear, but if I did spend more than $200 on any single item it would be a good sleeping bag. Excellent clothing, shelter, and cooking systems can be put together very cheap, but an extra $100 on a sleeping bag can make a considerable difference in weight and volume. Logically, the first step is determining how much warmth you need in a sleeping bag. That is easier said than done however, as it depends in part on your clothing and shelter systems and where and how you hike and your own metabolism and fitness and activity level. In the end you still have to test it out and see what range it covers, for You.

I got a good quality medium priced 3 pound synthetic bag rated 10F or so. It serves me well, but in hind sight a more expensive 2.5 pound 0F bag might have served me better. Once you have something, it can serve as a benchmark, but it might be awhile before you wear it out. In your climate 2 pounds 10F might be better for you. Fill weight at least equal to shell weight is a good rule of thumb. I am unsure about the advantages of different shells. Depends on you shelter system I think.

I thing expensive but on sale is the way to go, as long as it fits. Good hunting.

tammons
09-29-2009, 13:47
As above just buy from a company with a good return Policy.
Over the year I have returned or exchanged probably 10-15 sleeping bags.

If you want a cheap down bag get a campmor 20dF bag but be sure to test it out before you head out. 2#4oz

The REI radiant looks decent too, but a tad heavy at 3#

If you want a cheap synthetic bag try out a Eureka Casper 15dF bag. About $75.
I had one and its very narrow, but it is warm and fairly light. Bulky though. 2#15oz

If you want very roomy, light and warm get a Montbell #1 SS UL 800 15dF.
Expensive but worth it IMO. It has enough room you can wear a lot of layers. 2#4oz
Its a hugger so its very warm.

If you want a more expensive synthetic bag you could try a Mountain hardware ultra lamina 20dF. 3#

If you want ultralight have Tim Marshall over at BPL build you a down quilt.

Another option would be to buy a top of the line down bag used and save some $.

JumpInTheLake
09-29-2009, 13:58
You stated that you wanted to spend less than $200.00. Look hard at the Kelty Light Year bags. We own three of them, and we like them a lot.

Many people complain about the lack of full length zipper. My solution is to unzip it as far as I can. Then I put my feet in and pull the bag over me rather than getting in. Very much like a quilt. The half length zipper is not an issue for me.