PDA

View Full Version : Pictures - Neels Gap to Unicoi Gap

toccoaspinner
09-29-2009, 09:16
http://picasaweb.google.com/jonathanneely/NeelsGapUnicoiGap#

20.2 miles. 2 days. 2 shelters. 5 black bear. 1 snake. 1 lady with a broken ankle.

dmax
09-29-2009, 09:43
Nice pictures...I saw those cyclist too. Between Suches and Vogel State park I must have seen 1,000! I was glad they were going the other direction. And they did a very good job of staying in their lane.

Bulldawg
09-29-2009, 09:43
This past weekend was the six gap race.

StarLyte
09-29-2009, 09:47
Very nice ! Beautiful time of year too.

Photo number 34 - that blackbear sure is climbing high up the tree!

I haven't been down thru that area since 2003 - I sure do miss it.

Thank you for posting.

Speer Carrier
09-29-2009, 11:35
http://picasaweb.google.com/jonathanneely/NeelsGapUnicoiGap#

20.2 miles. 2 days. 2 shelters. 5 black bear. 1 snake. 1 lady with a broken ankle.

Nice pictures. I particularly like the few you took as you approached Unicoi Gap. That's the section I maintain. I just put sealer on the signs leading into Unicoi a few weeks ago, and I'm glad to see it makes the signs show up much better than they did before. And that little cut up blow down- I remember cutting that about two years ago. It took me about 2 hours with my cross cut saw, an ax, and a few wedges. Ah, the joys of having a section in a wilderness area where one can't use a chain saw.

GeneralLee10
09-29-2009, 11:52
Speer

You say that you maintain this section. When I was out last month South of Neels I came across this lady @ the Stover Creek Shelter. Very nice to talk with her she told me that she was a (ridge runner?). Says that she gives a report back to the group that maintains the section from Bly Gap to Springer I believe. I can not remember her name would you happen to know of her?

Speer Carrier
09-29-2009, 16:22
Speer

You say that you maintain this section. When I was out last month South of Neels I came across this lady @ the Stover Creek Shelter. Very nice to talk with her she told me that she was a (ridge runner?). Says that she gives a report back to the group that maintains the section from Bly Gap to Springer I believe. I can not remember her name would you happen to know of her?

I believe her name is Cathleen. She is very good at noting items that need to be addressed and reporting that information to each of the district overseers, who in turn let us section overseer know. I know I handled at least one blow down that she reported. She does a great job, and the GATC will be blessed if she re-ups for 2010.

Spokes
09-29-2009, 16:27
Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GeneralLee10
09-29-2009, 22:20
I believe her name is Cathleen. She is very good at noting items that need to be addressed and reporting that information to each of the district overseers, who in turn let us section overseer know. I know I handled at least one blow down that she reported. She does a great job, and the GATC will be blessed if she re-ups for 2010.

Nice to know, she was a very nice person to chat with. She was also telling me her method of noting things as to how far down the trail they were and such. Seem like she puts a lot of thought and time into what she does.

MintakaCat
09-30-2009, 06:40
Thanks for posting the photos. I did very much enjoy seeing them. You're pretty good with a camera, so keep the photos coming.:)

toccoaspinner
09-30-2009, 11:26
Thanks Mintaka!

cavediver256
09-30-2009, 20:19
Toccoa it was great meeting you on the trail, great pics !!!!

toccoaspinner
10-01-2009, 09:34
Thanks man! Everything with the lady w/ the broken ankle turn out okay?

jersey joe
10-01-2009, 09:41
nice pics toccoaspinner! Especially the bear in the tree(makes you wonder why we hang bear bags) and the bee hive(i think that's what that is).

Dances with Mice
10-01-2009, 10:37
Those were great pictures.

Ah, the joys of having a section in a wilderness area where one can't use a chain saw.So come out with us to my section next Wednesday and bring your chainsaw.

JaxHiker
10-01-2009, 11:09
Nice pics. I'm bummed though. Went from Hogpen to Dicks last month and didn't see a single critter. Ok, I saw a bunny, but I wanted a bear. :-)

Chaco Taco
10-01-2009, 15:54
Nice pics dude. Give me a call sometime, we need to catch up, been too long!

cavediver256
10-02-2009, 12:09
Thanks man! Everything with the lady w/ the broken ankle turn out okay?

Oh yeah she was carried out by a great group of rescuers from Lumpkin and Union Co. I just decided to walk out with the group and see to it that her hiking partners got back to their vehicle @ Unicoi Gap.

I was glad I was able to help....even if it was only moral support and not with a 100mcg of Fentanyl and 5mg of Versed.

Looks like you had a great hike, I may try for a short walk tomorrow.....maybe.

Speer Carrier
10-02-2009, 12:23
Those were great pictures.

So come out with us to my section next Wednesday and bring your chainsaw.

Thanks for the invite, but while I'm am certified as a cross cut sawyer, I have always resisted chain saw certification. Just an accident waiting to happen whenever power tools get into my hands.

Dances with Mice
10-02-2009, 14:56
Thanks for the invite, but while I'm am certified as a cross cut sawyer, I have always resisted chain saw certification. Just an accident waiting to happen whenever power tools get into my hands.No problem. You could still carry mine for me...

erichkopp
10-02-2009, 15:54
Excellent pictures. I was up there for the bike ride and can't wait to go back to get some hiking in. Such a beautiful area.

58starter
10-02-2009, 20:14
looking forward to the next set if pictures. My wife an I are hiking Unicoi to Deep Gap, NC Oct 11-14

energy_turtle
10-03-2009, 08:50
we passed just south of Blue Mtn shelter. You were right about the bears...I camped that night at Strawberry Top just north of Hogpen Gap and saw two small bears 30 minutes after breaking camp on my way south. I started at noon Sunday at Dicks Creek Gap and arrived at AFSP Friday morning. I also met the husband of the lady who broke her ankle...I had just summited Blood Wednesday morning and met him on the way down the south side.

pics

http://picasaweb.google.com/emailchris/DicksCreekGapToAmicalolaFalls#

toccoaspinner
10-03-2009, 20:52
Hey Turtle, yep, I remember you too. There weren't too many people that I passed those few days. It was beautiful though for sure. A lot better than my 5 days in the rain a couple of weeks before. We should do some hiking sometime. I'm looking for some good folks to do some backpacking with.

Graywolf
10-04-2009, 13:44
Nice Pics. The bear in the tree was cool.... But why are all the water shots blurry?? Your suppose to blur the water not the picture..:D

toccoaspinner
10-04-2009, 13:47
Nice Pics. The bear in the tree was cool.... But why are all the water shots blurry?? Your suppose to blur the water not the picture..:D

New camera, trying to figure that part out...oh well.

Graywolf
10-04-2009, 14:15
New camera, trying to figure that part out...oh well.

Man, thos enew cameras can be so user unfriendly.. I was just messing with you on the water.. I took some "nice" photos of some water falls on my section hike, or I thought they were nice till I got home and loaded them into the computer. Man, were they fuzzy. Pictures sure look different through that little camera view screen.

Maybe it's the excitement of seeing a real waterfall in the woods, and we jsut naturaly shake....:D

JaxHiker
10-05-2009, 09:30
Kidding aside, for those waterfall pics...

Blurred water = slow shutter speed (1/15, 1/30, etc)
Frozen water = fast shutter speed (1/250, 1/500, etc)

:)

energy_turtle
10-05-2009, 19:14
Kidding aside, for those waterfall pics...

Blurred water = slow shutter speed (1/15, 1/30, etc)
Frozen water = fast shutter speed (1/250, 1/500, etc)

:)

I do enjoy carrying along the gorillapod for longer shutter shots...

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_GlbWVa4cVxI/Sq1QJ74Ph3I/AAAAAAAABJ4/wKIOpMG3ijE/s800/IMG_3020.JPG

toccoaspinner
10-06-2009, 10:06
How do I get pictures like that!?

Hikes in Rain
10-06-2009, 12:42
Tripod, slooooow shutter speed, take lots and lots of shots. The cheapest part of any great picture (which that is!!) is the film, er, electrons.

Bulldawg
10-06-2009, 21:39
Tripod, slooooow shutter speed, take lots and lots of shots. The cheapest part of any great picture (which that is!!) is the film, er, electrons.

Yeah, I was shooting the moon Friday night. I took maybe 150 shots to get maybe 10 good ones.

Bulldawg
10-06-2009, 21:42
In fact, here is one of the better moon shots!!

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs238.snc1/8534_1233938161315_1015017156_738869_4595149_n.jpg

Graywolf
10-06-2009, 22:04
I understand shutter speeds for film cameras but what about digitals?

Bulldawg
10-06-2009, 22:09
I understand shutter speeds for film cameras but what about digitals?

Digitals also have shutter speeds. Problem is, most of the low end digitals, set the shutter speed for you.

Hikes in Rain
10-07-2009, 06:25
It's the same concept, really...controlling the amount of light to hit the light sensitive material, be it film or whatever magic (which is just a misunderstood science) makes the digitals work. You control it with shutter speeds or lens aperture, the latter of which also controls depth of field, or the amount of distance the lens will keep in focus.

Not the best explanation, but it's painfully early and I'm only on my second cup of coffee.

Great shots, Bulldawg! I just upgraded my photo system as of last night, with a Pentax K20D that I haven't even gotten completely out of the box yet! Best part is I can use the lenses from my old Asai Spotmatic on it. One of the main factors in the decision.

Heavy bugger, though! Good thing I'm moving into untralight gear.