PDA

View Full Version : Chris and Arla in Bennington

Jeff
09-29-2009, 15:45
Had the chance to finally meet Chris and Arla at their home in Bennington, VT.

Wow!! What a great couple. They open their house to all who knock on the door. I am confident every hiker leaves better for the experience. This is why the AT is special and hikers finish their journey with such great memories.

Spokes
09-29-2009, 15:49
Are the large fiberglass Moose statues still adorning the downtown square? Some of them were really cool!

Jack Tarlin
09-29-2009, 19:55
I met these guys this summer while passing thru Bennington, and this is a wonderful family.

warraghiyagey
09-29-2009, 20:35
That's great that Bennington has folks like this, it's one of my favorite stops. . . how does one find them. . . pm me if you could. . . thanks. . . :)

Jeff
09-30-2009, 07:46
Ask at the local outfitter, Natures Closet. They are only a couple blocks from the downtown area.

warraghiyagey
09-30-2009, 08:00
Thanks. . . :)

Yukon
09-30-2009, 08:14
Are the large fiberglass Moose statues still adorning the downtown square? Some of them were really cool!

Yep, moosefest is still kickin' :)

Rain Man
09-30-2009, 09:36
Yes! I can't say enough good stuff about Chris and Arla. They picked up my daughter Grass and her hiking partner Uncle Ben, who were hitching into town back in '04. And then after I picked Grass up at Katahdin, she and I and Mala and TDS stopped off and spent the night at their place in Bennington. Sweet!

God bless Chris and Arla and their family.

Rain:sunMan

Jeff
09-30-2009, 09:39
If I recall correctly, Arla told me Grass was the very first hiker to stay with them. She must have made a great impression!!!

Dogwood
01-30-2010, 00:27
Bennington - about 7 miles from where the AT crosses the road. -grocery and healthfood store, restaurants, PO, laundromats, hotels, decent coffee shop, outfitter, YMCA will shuttle you to the trail for a small fee and also let you use their showers, pool and workout room, 3 or 4 red covered wooden bridges you can walk to for post card quality pics, monument/obelisk w/ sweeping views of the countryside, free yellow loaner bicycles outside businesses to pedal around town on, and now trial angels! Cool town stop for me!

Nean
01-30-2010, 10:21
They were removing the meese the last time I was in town- a few months back.:-?

As for Chris, Arla and Josh- well, I can't say enough. Somehow I stayed with them 3 or so times last year?!?!:banana One of the most outstanding families you will ever meet- on the trail or off!!:) They inspire me!:sun