PDA

View Full Version : Backpacks on airplanes

Earl Grey
09-29-2009, 20:29
Next week will be my first time flying somewhere with my pack. I am taking two of them so they will have to be checked. I have a large duffel bag for them but no locks yet. There are TSA apprioved locks or something i'll probably get. I know they do not allow fuels on there but they also say if there is any residue on the stove then it may be denied in cargo. Whats the best way to clean a jetboil then? It looks as though you have to check knives too which isnt a big deal. Would it be better to just UPS the stuff? If I dont know of any palce to UPS packages to then is that even possible?

I am going to Denver.

jeepcj258
09-29-2009, 21:32
Don't worry to much. I usually throw my knife in my check luggage, have never had an issue with my stove (not cleaned) and have never tried to check fuel. I do not use locks, that is a personal preference, would rather have some one open my pack and take what they want, than cut my pack and take what they want.

Reid
09-29-2009, 21:42
best way to clean residual fuel on a stove is to stick a lighter too it.

Blissful
09-29-2009, 22:00
I never worried about residue with my pocket rocket. I just placed it in its red plastic container. No problem in a checked bag either way. My pack was small enough at 2900 to use as a carry-on. I just tightened the straps pretty good. TSA did puzzle some over the suspension system in the screening, but it got through.
Yes check your knife. Also bug repellent and sunscreen and other liquids unless its less than 3 oz.

bigcranky
09-29-2009, 22:05
A canister stove can't have fuel residue (not that logic always works with TSA agents.) Just don't bring any fuel, canisters, etc. Your knife should be fine in checked baggage.

Blissful
09-29-2009, 22:08
(not that logic always works with TSA agents.)

Ha ha. I've seen some scrutinize everything under the sun. And others stand there jawing and yawning.

Denver was a good airport, BTW. Prompt on flights. I just flew in there ten days ago.

Jack Tarlin
09-29-2009, 22:16
Boy, if it was convenient, I'd think about sending everything UPS and picking it up on the other end. Then I wouldn't have to worry about knives, stoves, pack theft, and so on; all I'd have to deal with is a small carry-on bag.

Just remember that every airline (and every private mail/parcel carrier) has different rules and regulations and what's fine somewhere or other might be forbidden if you have to switch planes, etc. so check things out in detail ahead of time.

Blissful
09-29-2009, 22:21
Cost-wise probably would add up the same too as you have to pay $20 per checked bag.

We had no problem though - used the same airline but switched planes. Even had a plane malfunction and they moved our bags with our gear to another flight. We flew to and from Salt Lake City this summer and I was pretty nervous. But it went well. No problems with anything.

Wrangler88
09-30-2009, 00:03
I mailed everything to Maine when I went.

But on the way back, I carried my pack on. The only thing I got rid of was my fuel and razor blade. I heard that I was going to have to throw away my stove (that I bought only a few days before). But it, along with tent stakes, went through security in my backpack (twice!) and I never had them stop me.

Actually when I sent my foodbag through it did get stopped. They had to make sure the thing they were seeing on the screen was, in fact, a sausage.

Captain
09-30-2009, 00:48
A canister stove can't have fuel residue (not that logic always works with TSA agents.) Just don't bring any fuel, canisters, etc. Your knife should be fine in checked baggage.

just restating in a horribly obvious way.. aka pack the stove in checked luggage and simply buy fuel either AT your destination or buy it (fresh canisters) before you leave and mail it ahead

spindle
09-30-2009, 07:43
Just came back from CO.

Your Jetboil won't raise any eyebrows, either will your knife if it's checked. It won't be checked for residue. They don't even confiscate checked lighters or matches.

I've gone in and out of Denver with trekking poles, ice ax, crampons, Simmerlite, knives, and fancy soaps that look like C-4 without them being concerned. But if you don't have your liquid shampoo in a quart Ziploc and under 4oz they wig all out.

Knitting needles in my hand, fine, they're good with that. Contact solution? AAAH! No!

Have a good time! No worries about the luggage. (unless your bag is over 50lbs. They're a bit nuts about bag weight at the moment.)

Doctari
09-30-2009, 17:12
I (and quite a few of my friends) have flown with swords in our luggage. Swords as in more than one at a time, and usually with 5 or 6 (at least) daggers. So I'm thinking a knife in the luggage compartment should go fine, just not in carry on.

I haven't tried to fly with a stove yet, so I'm no help there. Let us know how it goes tho.

mudhead
09-30-2009, 17:24
With no address to ship to, I have in the past shipped UPS- "Hold for pickup."

You have to go to the main distribution place in the destination city, which in Denver(big) could be a frig. Usually in an industrial park type place, so can be simple to get at. They have banker's hours, too. UPS also at one time would pickup at your residence for $5 extra!

Call UPS for current info.

Seems your duffles would save some grief.

Jester2000
09-30-2009, 17:34
When checking your bag, it is a good idea to put it inside a large duffle, as you've indicated you're doing, but I don't know if I'd bother with locks. It's also a good idea to go to both the TSA's and airline's websites, and carry a copy of their policies with you.

WalkingStick75
09-30-2009, 18:54
Check the knife, dont worry about the Jet boil, do not take any fuel on board and use colored zip ties on the duffel to secure the zipper. TSA will accept these because they can still have easy access and when you pick up your bag if the tie has been cut check to see if they put their calling card inside.

Have fun