PDA

View Full Version : Trips

GeneralLee10
09-30-2009, 09:57
What do you WBers have planed for the upcoming weeks? Hiking trips that is, anything cool and interesting?

Bearpaw
09-30-2009, 10:02
Overnighter at Mammoth Cave and 40-mile section of the Pinhoti Trail in October (Fall Break).

It helps being a teacher.

coheterojo
09-30-2009, 10:14
Fall color hike maybe on the Bartram Trail the 3rd or 4th weekend of Oct. Then a 3 day something or other in the Smokies on Thanksgiving weekend.

Jack Tarlin
09-30-2009, 11:54
Will be in Pennsylvania for close to a week in order to attend the ALDHA Gathering (www.aldha.org). Looking forward to some serious day-hiking and exploring on the Gettysburg battlefield and hopefully some short hikes near Pine Grove Furnace Park. This is a really nice time to be in the woods in PA.

The Weasel
09-30-2009, 12:03
Starting sectioning the PCT out of Campo in the next couple of weeks.

TW

Blissful
09-30-2009, 12:11
Hopeful hike planned eventually sometime this fall if my ankle cooperates. I sprained the left on my last hike in a ditch and sprained the right falling down wet porch stairs in the dark ten days ago.

Waterfall
09-30-2009, 12:51
Weekend day hikes on the Bartram Trail. My hubbie (Sheltowee) has a few more miles to go before he's hiked the whole thing, and I'm hoping to cover some of those miles with him. No overnighters, though, unless we can work things out with storing camp stuff in a car parked near a campsite--I can't get a hipbelt around my pregnant belly anymore!

Mags
09-30-2009, 13:22
This weekend is one last backpack before the high country gets too snowy/cold: http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/Favorite-Colorado-Hikes.html#Pawnee-Buchanan-Passes

Monday Oct 5th: Full Moon Hike

October 11th: The inaugural foothill hike of the season for me..locally called the Triple Peak Challenge (3 peaks, 14 miles and 4k' gain). Except I like to mix it up and call it the Triple Course Challenge. Appetizers on the first peak, lunch on the second and desert below the third. Gourmet food all day and even some wine (of course).

Oct 17th: More trail work

Jofish
09-30-2009, 17:42
We have a group from Hammock Forums heading up to the Superior Hiking Trail (in MN) next weekend. Its gonna rock!

buff_jeff
09-30-2009, 17:47
I basically can't do anything until May; have to save as much as possible for the PCT.

DaveJohns
09-30-2009, 20:34
I am looking at maybe hiking the Springer approach next week, just an overnighter up and back. Thought it would be nice.

MintakaCat
09-30-2009, 20:41
Headed to the Southern Nantahala area once, maybe twice in October. Looking so forward to seeing the cooler temps of Fall. I love cold weather hiking.:)

chiefduffy
10-01-2009, 14:04
I am looking at maybe hiking the Springer approach next week, just an overnighter up and back. Thought it would be nice.

I'm gonna try the same thing around Halloween. After that some overnights on the FT (as soon as it gets cool enough to kill the bugs).

- Duffy

Gray Blazer
10-01-2009, 14:20
Just a journey to the center of my mind.

When it gets colder around here I'll prolly join chiefduffy on some FT trips and possibly a FL WB get together at the Iron Bridge Shelter in the Big Foot Woods (Etoniah Creek State Forest).

sbhikes
10-01-2009, 16:05
I'm waiting for rain. I don't want to go into my backcountry until it cools off and there's at least one good rain to fill up the creeks again. But once it does, a trip into the San Rafael or Dick Smith Wilderness will be in order.

ShoelessWanderer
10-01-2009, 16:12
Hiking McAfee's Knob and dragon's Tooth this weekend, followed by several fun non-AT hikes later this month.

FritztheCat
10-01-2009, 19:53
Hiking McAfee's Knob and dragon's Tooth this weekend, followed by several fun non-AT hikes later this month.

Hey, that's where I'm going! :D

nox
10-01-2009, 20:03
I'm out of work until mid january.. Dr's orders, As soon as i can get my pack on I'm going to wander around PA until my soles fall off.

ShoelessWanderer
10-02-2009, 13:20
Hey, that's where I'm going! :D

Hmm...you're stalking me aren't you??? http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing004.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php) It's going to be a GREAT trip. No newbies, only fun people, and the weather should be great, just small chance of rain Saturday in the PM.

GeneralLee10
10-02-2009, 13:24
I will off to do from Springer to Dicks Creek Gap. I was thinking around 6-7 days, any input?

Kerosene
10-03-2009, 10:55
Last week of October I hope to walk the 103 mile section from Erwin SOBO to Davenport Gap. If my new knee brace isn't causing me a lot of grief, then I might try to lengthen the mileage a few days to let me get all the way to Newfound Gap (135 miles or so). I'll post my perennial question regarding the water situation for this section towards the end of the month!

With this section in the bag, I'll have one more southern section (Standing Indian north to wherever I stop this time) before I head back north to tackle Maine!

johnnybgood
10-03-2009, 13:55
I have a solo hike planned this Autumn of the Art Loeb Trail when I can request a friday off from work.

Actually want to stretch out a 4 day weekend so as to have 1/2 day travel time each way.

Dogwood
10-03-2009, 14:22
What do you WBers have planed for the upcoming weeks? Hiking trips that is, anything cool and interesting?

I have to stop reading posts like this or picking up Backpacker mag. I just quieted my mind about adding any new hiking treks this yr. after having just finished my fifth hiking trip in the last 6 months. Now, I'm thinking, "can I squeeze in another trip this yr.?" So many awesome hikes available!

OK I'm off too get that lottery ticket so I can hike full time.

garlic08
10-03-2009, 16:03
After hiking the Wonderland Trail last week, I'm going to try another loop trail around a major Cascade volcano, the Timberline Trail around Mt Hood. I'm meeting my friend Saunter from Seattle and hitting the trail on Monday morning.

Tinker
10-03-2009, 16:31
I already used up my vacation by doing a 37 mile AT section in New York then climbing Mt. Washington and poking around some of the NH AT shelters for a couple of days. Had fun.
I did that section back in 2006. Six to seven days sounds just about right. I hiked from Amicalola to the NC line in nine days with a zero thrown in.

Dogwood
10-03-2009, 18:52
I was wanting to thru-hike both those trails earlier this yr. garlic, but when I was in WA and OR in June there was just too much snow still. Did manage to get in a 60 mile coastal hike in Olympic NP and a 85 mile hike of the Redwood SPs and Redwood NP though at that time. Any issues obtaining a permit for the Wonderland Tr last week?

garlic08
10-03-2009, 22:59
Any issues obtaining a permit for the Wonderland Tr last week?

Surprisingly no. I walked in on a Sunday morning and got my first choices and was on the trail five minutes later. The ranger (an AT veteran) said as long as you're flexible and can do a long day here and there, they will get you on the trail as a walk-in.

dreamsoftrails
10-03-2009, 23:13
I will off to do from Springer to Dicks Creek Gap. I was thinking around 6-7 days, any input?
you are smart if you have this idea.

enjoy the hike.

Jonnycat
10-03-2009, 23:44
I did a lot of trips in the last month (including a loop around the Three Sister's), so I've gotta stick around for the next while. Maybe a short trip over to the coast if there's good weather in a full moon or two.

LIhikers
10-04-2009, 09:09
No hiking trips planned for me as I've got a foot problem the doctor hasn't figured out yet. But once the leaves drop the wife and I will get out to check the boundries of the AT corridor that we monitor in NY.

Tilly
10-04-2009, 11:11
Camping for 2 nights and dayhiking at Indiana Dunes Nat'l Lakeshore.

I really like it there.

It will probably be the last significant outdoor excursion for awhile.