PDA

View Full Version : Raise your hand if you're starting your thru in February!

Pages : [1] 2

ShelterLeopard
09-30-2009, 10:31
Hey all, I was just wondering who is starting in February. I had thought that almost no one would start then, but I'm seeing more and more people who say they're starting in Feb. So, raise your hand, who's starting in Feb, and when?

(I'm starting sometime between February 18 and 23, probably the 23)

AggieAl
09-30-2009, 18:58
I am planning on starting February 20th. Most likely I will be at the Hiker Hostel on the evening of the 19th. Looking forward to meeting lots interesting people. I plan on starting slowly.

partinj
09-30-2009, 19:09
Leaving on Feb 3 get to Gainesville on Feb 4 to start my Thur-Hike
Hav fun

:cool:

Petr
09-30-2009, 19:37
Just kidding, but I'll be hitting the trail January 28th. Hope to see some of you speedsters pass me by.

JoshStover
09-30-2009, 20:18
I will be leaving sometime around Feb 23rd. Look forward to seeing you out there...

DaveJohns
09-30-2009, 20:20
I am looking to leave early February, but havent set a date yet. Depending on weather, it will be somewhere between the 1st and 15th. I am honestly hoping to do it on the 1st, which is my wedding anniversary. Since we are finalizing the divorce right now, that date would be especially poingnant.

We shall see.

mrhughes1982
09-30-2009, 21:34
I want to leave in late Feb. but the more I think about it the less I think it'll be a thru-hike. I think its going to be a long section hike. Just whenever the money runs out.

saimyoji
09-30-2009, 21:52
just thought i'd let you know that none of you are actually raising your hands. :-?

http://www.primetimersphiladelphia.org/Images/Image002_1.gif

ShelterLeopard
09-30-2009, 22:49
<<Raises hand>>

wheatus
10-15-2009, 04:06
if i don't start in Jan it will probably be mid-Feb sometime

El Toro '94
10-16-2009, 01:56
Starting mine Nov. 1 (2009). Do I have to start in 2010 to be a member of the class? Or just finish in 2010?

ShelterLeopard
10-16-2009, 10:44
That's like being a February freshman at college- never know which graduation to go to. I say, you could be in both 2009, and 2010. But you'll probably meet more people in 2010.

Lyle
10-16-2009, 11:55
No desire to hijack here, but I'd be interested to hear the reasons folks have chosen this "less than the norm", somewhat difficult time to start. Necessity or Personal Preference?

McIntyre
10-16-2009, 12:45
Hello All. About a Feb. start: Have any of you found reliable information about weather & trail conditions, either good anecdotal stories or, better, statistical tracking of temps, snow, and so on?

max patch
10-16-2009, 13:02
No desire to hijack here, but I'd be interested to hear the reasons folks have chosen this "less than the norm", somewhat difficult time to start. Necessity or Personal Preference?

For "most" people -- in my opinion only with nothing to back it up -- I think most people start in late Jan and February because they really don't have a clue how long to expect the hike to take and they want to make sure they are finished before mid October. Its can daunting to look at a road map and envision actually walking ga-me.

This obviously excludes those with some type of date commitment, such as students.

BrianLe
10-16-2009, 13:15
Also responding to Lyle, my wife has some plans for the Fall so I want to finish in August sometime. Not the ideal situation (it always nicer to have no deadline imposed), but with a late Feb start I think I can manage it and still enjoy the process. Barring the unforeseen, and still able to take the occasional zero or nero along the way.

I'd much rather do the trail this way than put it off another year.

And in terms of "making lemonade out of lemons", I'm sure there will be some unpleasant "I'm tired of cold weather" moments, but it's also a fun adventure to plan for, to try to balance sufficient clothing/gear against keeping pack base weight low. And a bit of a spirit of adventure in leaving somewhat before average I guess --- though from the registry thread and this one, it looks like a late Feb start isn't all that unique or special!

BrianLe
10-16-2009, 13:19
McIntyre asked: "About a Feb. start: Have any of you found reliable information about weather & trail conditions, either good anecdotal stories or, better, statistical tracking of temps, snow, and so on?"

I'm interested in this too. One that I'm aware of is on postholer.com, http://postholer.com/postholer/index.php?trail=3

Of course there's a trail conditions thread on this site: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100

That's all I can think of off-hand.

McIntyre
10-16-2009, 13:50
Hi Again -- About 10 mins on internet produced the following. What we really need me thinks is wise old trail experts to talk about WTE (What To Expect). Anyway:

some of what appalachian trail conference has to say about start dates

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805569/k.F6/When_Should_I_Start.htm

this weather site for franklin

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Franklin&state=GA&site=FFC&textField1=33.2814&textField2=-85.0977&e=1

this weather site for amicalola falls, just below springer mt

http://www.findlocalweather.com/pinpoint/us/ga/amicalola+falls+state+park/current13743.html

takethisbread
10-16-2009, 17:43
I am leaving feb 20.

Why?

I have a summer business on marthas vineyard that demands I be there. My thru hike will encompass the spring and then a break to work and then a finish in the fall.

I also hate hiking in the heat. This fall is really nice. October in the northeast is perfect hiking weather( unless a storm hits)

So feb 20 to may 15

Then

September 1 to October 14

max patch
10-16-2009, 17:49
this weather site for amicalola falls, just below springer mt

http://www.findlocalweather.com/pinpoint/us/ga/amicalola+falls+state+park/current13743.html

The reporting station for the "AFSP" is actually the Cherokee County airport in Canton. Springer is 3700 ft, this location is 1000 ft. 3.5 degrees cooler for each 1,000 ft etc.

ShelterLeopard
10-16-2009, 22:54

I'm starting in February because I love snow (and would love to be in it as much as possible, but can't start earlier), and I'd probably start in Feb even if I could start earlier, because though I want to miss the start off crowd (and I want to be weeks away from Damascus during/after traildays), I still want to meet people!

ShelterLeopard
10-16-2009, 22:58
The most ideal thru hike (for me) would be later half of winter, then spring, skipping summer (I could talk to the weatherpeople about leaving off summer that year), then heading straight on to fall. I do NOT like heat, and heat doesn't like me. If I could always hike in crisp, cool fall days like today (minus all the rain) and a couple winter snow days, it'd be perfect. But, I'll live through the summer!

Hobbot
10-18-2009, 13:11
The most ideal thru hike (for me) would be later half of winter, then spring, skipping summer (I could talk to the weatherpeople about leaving off summer that year), then heading straight on to fall. I do NOT like heat, and heat doesn't like me. If I could always hike in crisp, cool fall days like today (minus all the rain) and a couple winter snow days, it'd be perfect. But, I'll live through the summer!

Not that I am quite leaving in February (my arrangement with work won't begin until March 1 and I can't cut into snowboarding season too much :D), but those are exactly my preferences and why I am planning to leave on the earlier side. I love cold weather and snow and can't deal with the heat. I am preparing for the cold temperatures but dreading the heat of summer.

On this topic, how cold will it really get in GA at the beginning of March? I mean, I am considering this bag: http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/plush/bb2e/ but I can't find any temperature ratings (other than the vague 'sub-zero') or weight information anywhere ;)

ShelterLeopard
10-18-2009, 13:16
Well it is supposed to be a cold winter (good time for us to do our thrus, warm weather- dislikers).

AND I can't believe you're thinking of the Taun Taun bag! Are you serious? I almost got that! Not for the hike, necessarily... And I just made a fairly large order on ThinkGeek. Favorite site in the world (aside from this)! That's where I get all of my christmas presents for my whole family.

On a more serious note, I'm bringing a 15 degree bag and a liner (just in case, for the first couple weeks). I've been told many times to expect snow.

Hobbot
10-18-2009, 13:27
Well it is supposed to be a cold winter (good time for us to do our thrus, warm weather- dislikers).

AND I can't believe you're thinking of the Taun Taun bag! Are you serious? I almost got that! Not for the hike, necessarily... And I just made a fairly large order on ThinkGeek. Favorite site in the world (aside from this)! That's where I get all of my christmas presents for my whole family.

On a more serious note, I'm bringing a 15 degree bag and a liner (just in case, for the first couple weeks). I've been told many times to expect snow.

Haha, no not serious...unfortunately :( That would be one quick way to a new trail name though ;)

Yea, I am also bringing a Marmot 15 degree bag, I tend to wear warm clothes in the bag during the winter, and might throw in a liner as well.

And, I should clarify on my preference for snow. From past experience, deep snow while hiking is a pain. I am rather short and jumping from foot spot to foot spot is slow going. But, it is all part of the adventure!

Patrickjd9
10-18-2009, 13:32
Reposting from incorrect placement in "Straightforward" thread.

I'll sign up to be the party pooper since someone has to.

For most thru-hikes, what's the necessity of starting in Georgia in February? More town/hostel zero days? I've seen several such situations here, but what's the draw? If you're trying to be ahead of others, why not a southbound?

I know that some folks like cold-weather backpacking (and I've postholed up Apple Orchard Mountain in Virginia in January), but I got a pretty decent taste crossing the Smokies in late April on a section hike a couple of years ago.

Even with a mid-August college/teaching start, March 1st gives over 150 days to make Katadhin.

Lillianp
10-18-2009, 14:50
I'm planning on starting around the 25th, hopefully to avoid the march rush-but I don't know how well that'll work! I can probably start a little earlier, as I'm borrowing a 0 degree down bag for the first few weeks before switching to my 25F down bag.

ShelterLeopard
10-19-2009, 11:07
Haha, no not serious...unfortunately :( That would be one quick way to a new trail name though ;)

Yea, I am also bringing a Marmot 15 degree bag, I tend to wear warm clothes in the bag during the winter, and might throw in a liner as well.

And, I should clarify on my preference for snow. From past experience, deep snow while hiking is a pain. I am rather short and jumping from foot spot to foot spot is slow going. But, it is all part of the adventure!

I'd like mostly a small amount of snow, to look nice. But I'd like just one big snow. I know it's a pain, but you can't play in one inch as easily as two feet!!! Besides, I figure it could snow two feet when I'm a day away from a qaint B & B, I'll take a zero (or two) to renew myself and build more snowmen, then it'll melt away and it'll just be dusted with snow from then on.

Sound good?

takethisbread
10-20-2009, 17:51
Leopard i feel the same way. I am looking for one good hard snow in February. I was hoping as i do a stretch in NJ/ny this weekend it would snow, but it appears to be rain Friday night not snow. but i will still have fun i am sure, testing out some cold weather gear.

I am hoping the Smokies might lay a good snow on us once in February/march

ShelterLeopard
10-20-2009, 18:16
Leopard i feel the same way. I am looking for one good hard snow in February. I was hoping as i do a stretch in NJ/ny this weekend it would snow, but it appears to be rain Friday night not snow. but i will still have fun i am sure, testing out some cold weather gear.

Well, if you're in the area, a couple of us WBers (and a couple others) are doing a two day shakedown in Delaware Water Gap in mid November! Crossing my fingers for snow... (Especially after camp is all set up- snow on the hike back or when we wake up in camp would be perfect!)

McIntyre
10-20-2009, 18:40
What is footwear best practice for Feb snow and cold of GA start? For years in West I've used pretty heavy boots, wool socks, medium or tall gaiters. What are some other ideas? Thanks in advance.

Hobbot
10-21-2009, 00:12
I'd like mostly a small amount of snow, to look nice. But I'd like just one big snow. I know it's a pain, but you can't play in one inch as easily as two feet!!! Besides, I figure it could snow two feet when I'm a day away from a qaint B & B, I'll take a zero (or two) to renew myself and build more snowmen, then it'll melt away and it'll just be dusted with snow from then on.

Sound good?

That sounds good to me. Actually, one of my best memories of backpacking was in the winter in Vermont on a scout trip. We got 18 inches of snow overnight on top of an already existing base, so the hiking was very slow going. It was so slow that it became obvious we wouldn't make our goal, so we instead stopped at a shelter, pulled out our sleeping bags, and continued to joke around, make snowmen, and build a fire for the rest of the day. It was great!

Hobbot
10-21-2009, 00:15
What is footwear best practice for Feb snow and cold of GA start? For years in West I've used pretty heavy boots, wool socks, medium or tall gaiters. What are some other ideas? Thanks in advance.

I am planning on just trail runners. I switched from boots a couple years ago, and it was one of the best decisions I have made with gear choice. But, I wouldn't use my advice since my feet simply don't get cold.

Hobbot
10-21-2009, 00:21

Takethisbread and ShelterLeopard, let me know if you are doing any trips in mid/late November or December in the NJ/NY/PA area (my weekends are tied up until then). I had been thinking about doing the Black Forest Trail in PA mid November, but I need to first check on taking a day off work. I was at the Delaware Water Gap a couple weeks ago for a quick 1-nighter, but wouldn't mind going back there again.

pjbarr
10-21-2009, 00:41
just noticed this thread, so i'll raise my hand. i'm starting feb. 23.

i'd prefer minimal snow if i could choose, so when it does comes, i'll let you break the trail, shelterleopard :eek:

i'm a really cold sleeper (even in the summer) and i'm worried my 0 degree bag won't even be enough. should be just right for me by the time May rolls around.:D

i need to be back to North Carolina by early August for various reasons and also want to miss the big bubble at end of march and beginning of april. some here asked why feb., and EVERYone outside of this forum asks why feb. that's why.

henry shire's new tarptent MOMENT will be arriving in mail tomorrow!!!:D:D:D

harryfred
10-21-2009, 01:23
Yall' make me weep, I'd love to do a thru hike. Life didn't deal me those cards. If the good Lord wills I'll do it in sections. When you pass Birch Run Shelter Please sign the book, Shelter Leopard I figure you will pass my7 way in June I'd like to meet you I'm not a DOM just you have posted so much. but leave me a note if I am not on the trail. BTW I'm "Over The Edge"on the trail.

ShelterLeopard
10-21-2009, 10:18
That sounds good to me. Actually, one of my best memories of backpacking was in the winter in Vermont on a scout trip. We got 18 inches of snow overnight on top of an already existing base, so the hiking was very slow going. It was so slow that it became obvious we wouldn't make our goal, so we instead stopped at a shelter, pulled out our sleeping bags, and continued to joke around, make snowmen, and build a fire for the rest of the day. It was great!

Sounds perfect!!!

wheatus
10-21-2009, 10:40
in response to lyle

it is personal preference, i like hiking and camping in the winter. if i could figure out a way to do it i would do a winter thru.

rjridgely
10-22-2009, 10:44
For "most" people -- in my opinion only with nothing to back it up -- I think most people start in late Jan and February because they really don't have a clue how long to expect the hike to take and they want to make sure they are finished before mid October. Its can daunting to look at a road map and envision actually walking ga-me.

This obviously excludes those with some type of date commitment, such as students.

I am starting some time between January 4th & February 10th 2010. The date will be determined solely on how far the COLTS make it thru the playoffs.
I am starting this early because I have NO time frame to worry about, want to take my time,have a few nice family visits along the way and spend alot of extra time in the Mt. Washington Valley.

ShelterLeopard
10-22-2009, 11:23
Takethisbread and ShelterLeopard, let me know if you are doing any trips in mid/late November or December in the NJ/NY/PA area (my weekends are tied up until then). I had been thinking about doing the Black Forest Trail in PA mid November, but I need to first check on taking a day off work. I was at the Delaware Water Gap a couple weeks ago for a quick 1-nighter, but wouldn't mind going back there again.

By the way Hobbot- I just sent you a PM about an upcoming hike!

TEXMAN
10-31-2009, 11:50
I know this is a 2010 forum but I started Feb 15 last year and there is a lot of info on my journal at trailjournals.com/OMRIVER/ about the early start,
also Garage Man and Pound Hound have a journal and started on the same day.
COLD ..It dropped to 5 degrees ... everything in the tent was frozen unless I slept with it,(water, fuel, shoes,cothes) too cold to lace frozen boots in the morning,
too cold to stop for a rest ...only way to keep warm is to keep moving...
Thank God Whitten sold me a Western Moutaineer down 20 degree bag at Neels Gap..I was never cold in that bag.(My cheap synthetic 15 degree bag wasn't so good and the zipper broke the second day)
I wore boots in the snow..wouldn't want to do the snowdrifts with trail runners .
I told myself it would be cool to sit in the shelter and drink hot chocolate while winter was all about me ..just like a true explorer ....what I found out was it was too cold to do anything except get into the sleeping bag as fast as possible ..which was by 5 -6pm on most nights because it gets dark early...you have to be able to sleep for 12 hours if you start this early because of the lack of daylight.
I hated it and loved it and am glad I did it because now I know I can do it
O.M.River

Holy Smoke
11-01-2009, 16:58
I'm starting In february too.. I guess about the 2nd week... I'm told any sooner and it's gonna be cold cold cold..

AggieAl
11-01-2009, 17:22
I have to return on work on August 16, 2010 so I need an early start.

2010 is supposed to be an El Nino year. I am assuming that it will be cold, dark, wet, cold, & cold for the first 535 miles. So I will be very happy any day it is not. It is just part of the experience.

I am planning on a 20 degree bag with a liner and sleeping with some clothes. Plus, putting some hot water bottles in my boots at night. Plus a book to read.

It should work out fine. Plus, we will have great weather in the spring and summer.

takethisbread
11-02-2009, 08:10
Thanks so much for your tale!

It sounds like you underestimated the winter conditions, but recovered nicely. Did you sleep 12 hours because you were tired and needed it or did you do it out of boredom/cold?

?
I know this is a 2010 forum but I started Feb 15 last year and there is a lot of info on my journal at trailjournals.com/OMRIVER/ about the early start,
COLD ..It dropped to 5 degrees ... everything in the tent was frozen unless I slept with it,(water, fuel, shoes,cothes) too cold to lace frozen boots in the morning,
Thank God Whitten sold me a Western Moutaineer down 20 degree bag at Neels Gap..I was never cold in that bag.(My cheap synthetic 15 degree bag wasn't so good and the zipper broke the second day)
I wore boots in the snow..wouldn't want to do the snowdrifts with trail runners .
I told myself it would be cool to sit in the shelter and drink hot chocolate while winter was all about me ..just like a true explorer ....what I found out was it was too cold to do anything except get into the sleeping bag as fast as possible ..which was by 5 -6pm on most nights because it gets dark early...you have to be able to sleep for 12 hours if you start this early because of the lack of daylight.
O.M.River

beas
11-02-2009, 09:48
That boot thing is some of the best information I have read on here in quite some time

By the way how do I get just one portion of a post on a quote?

2010 is supposed to be an El Nino year. I am assuming that it will be cold, dark, wet, cold, & cold for the first 535 miles. So I will be very happy any day it is not. It is just part of the experience.

I am planning on a 20 degree bag with a liner and sleeping with some clothes. Plus, putting some hot water bottles in my boots at night. Plus a book to read.

It should work out fine. Plus, we will have great weather in the spring and summer.

ShelterLeopard
11-02-2009, 23:55
I've heard that too- and I'm planning the same. 15 degree bag with liner and hot water bottles in my boots! And a recent issue of Fantasy and Science Fiction literary magazine. (Maybe even a real book)

ShelterLeopard
11-02-2009, 23:56
Good to know Tex, very helpful post, I'll be sure to look up your trail journal.

O.M.River

Hikerbiker
11-14-2009, 01:55
I am planning on starting February 20th. Most likely I will be at the Hiker Hostel on the evening of the 19th. Looking forward to meeting lots interesting people. I plan on starting slowly.
I plan on staying at the Hiker Hostel on the 20th of Feb 2010 then hit the trail soon after. Flying in from Seattle. Frost

BrianLe
11-14-2009, 18:54
takethisbread asked texman "Did you sleep 12 hours because you were tired and needed it or did you do it out of boredom/cold?"

As he said, it's about how much daylight there is --- it's dark for more than 12 hours out of every 24 in February. In late Feb (~25th) when I plan to start there's about 11 hours and 20 minutes of daylight. If planning to read books every night, I suggest spare headlamp batteries and lithium ones (work better in cold temps). If you're the sort that can sleep for 12 hours a day, good on you --- still less hours of daylight to hike in, so combined with possible snow on the trail and heavier base weight, just less daily mileage possible. I know that when I'm out at that time of year, it can seem like a long time until daylight.

One nice factor, however, is that the moon is full at the end of Feb, and waxing pretty large (90% full) on the day I'm tentatively starting. It will be rising in the afternoon, so it means possibly walking longer into the evening, assuming it's not too overcast. Snow would just improve the light available --- could be pretty cool (in both senses of the word ...).

Hikerbiker/Frost: We'll have the NW represented in Feb then, I live near Seattle (Bellevue).

Hot water bottles in boots: Seems like too much time and effort to me, but I plan to use trail runners. Less overall mass to warm up vs. bulkier boots. Quite cold going on the feet initially, but just start stomping around, a few jumping jacks or whatever and you're in business. But who knows, maybe I'll give this a try --- it's always worth trying out different approaches!

Highlighting one point from texman's helpful post:
"too cold to stop for a rest ...only way to keep warm is to keep moving..."
I.e., those of us starting in Feb should hopefully be in good enough physical condition that we can just keep moving for the entire day; maybe not moving fast all day, but a steady sustainable pace, and with food that can be nibbled rather than planning to stop for long lunches (or get out your sleeping bag if you do on the coldest days ...). I'm also going to bring a vest, something I'm normally too warm to walk in but perhaps not in the conditions described.

Tatertot
11-15-2009, 15:25
Well I have read alot of reasons and good ones mind you for starting in February, I propose a different one. I am starting early for one there are less bugs, the views are better because the lack of foliage, its a whole lot easier to manage you body temps, you can put on enough clothes to get warm but cannot take enough off to get cool in the summer. Aside from that I am planning on a Yo-Yo hike next year and want to be well south of the new England states before the snow starts to fly. as for the newbies a yo-yo hike is defined as a north or southbound thruhike one way and the turning around and going in the opposite direction back to where you came from. now that sounds like fun!! Im trying for $1 a mile, now this should be interesting. FEB 8th-ish:-?

Lillianp
11-17-2009, 16:10
I made my train reservation last week for Feb. 21st so I will officially be starting on the 22nd, as my train arrives that day at 6:58 am. Not doing the approach trail, also a plus. :) I'm so excited though. I'm bringing a 0F down bag and plan on holing up in shelters in the bag for pretty much most of the time that I am NOT hiking. Will be fiendishly trying to get in shape between now and then so I can move the whole day without too many pauses.

Thrasher
11-17-2009, 17:27
My wife and I will probably be starting February 13th. We both have off work, sold one of our cars, and have almost all of our gear.

JonnyWalker
11-25-2009, 01:19
I'm thinking of a February start because I don't think I can wait untill March 1st.

JoshStover
11-25-2009, 01:22
:clap Im not sure if I have already posted on here but I will be out there the end of February but I MIGHT not be til the 1st.

takethisbread
11-25-2009, 07:34
The weather in suches, Ga in February is going to be roughly equal to New England weather now, maybe even a bit warmer, so I am not worried about cold. Right now is perfect weather in new England for hiking. I just got back from hiking in the Ga/NC section and it was hot. T shirt weather all week during hike, and a warm bag at night.

Views are better before the overgrowth, as well.

I think the best way to approach feb/march hiking is; don't expect to be cold, but be prepared at least mentally for poor weather and or snow.

In suches, GA for example the average high is 52 and the average low is 27

That's good hiking temps!

JoshStover
11-25-2009, 07:39
Those are PERFECT hiking temps!!! I CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!

ShelterLeopard
11-25-2009, 11:46
I want SNOW.
I want SNOW.
I want SNOW.

(then I turn around three times)

ShelterLeopard
11-25-2009, 11:47
And fall over, because I get dizzy.

Lillianp
11-27-2009, 01:21
Really? Those are the temps. I'm going to ignore having seen that and decide that it's going to be colder and prepare for that. :)

white_russian
11-27-2009, 15:00
Really? Those are the temps. I'm going to ignore having seen that and decide that it's going to be colder and prepare for that. :)
The temps quoted are the temps for Suches, not for the trail. I always just drop 10 degrees from the town report for AT expectations in GA

drifters quest
11-28-2009, 01:51
I grew up in Hawaii, lived there till I was 18, and I LOVE hiking in the snow, come to think of it, since I came to Wyoming two years ago I have camped/backpacked more in the Winter than in the Summer. Best memory was on two feet of snow in the mountains in February :) Worst part about it? I sleep cold, VERY cold and nights are generally very long and uncomfortable no matter the rating of the bag or what im wearing. Even leaving in March i'm gonna have to really plan my choice of clothing carefully.

ragincajun
11-28-2009, 04:05
im arriving in georgia the 20th called the best shuttle service there its a couple that own nearby hostel for 70$ get pickup in atlanta or gainesvill a stay in hostel some fuel breakfast then ride to trailhead or amicola park entrance the 20th of feb is earliest theyl pick you up so doing the hike in on 21st and starting trail on 22nd

ShelterLeopard
11-28-2009, 11:20
The Hiker Hostel? I'll probably see you there!

Sully5400
12-07-2009, 21:05
I'll be leaving Springer the first "good" weather window that comes up after the 15th or so. I'm pretty flexible as far as when I can leave (All I have to do is say "I quit"!) I have to be done before the third week of August so I can report for school.

I have all the long distance gear minus my bag and jacket. I need to get a warm, light, packable down jacket. Any suggestions?

Hopefully I'll see all of you out there!

BrianLe
12-07-2009, 21:58
" I need to get a warm, light, packable down jacket. Any suggestions?"

I was originally going to go with layered thermawrap (synthetic) jacket and vest, but have since become convince to go with an actual Down jacket until at least Pearisburg. After some analysis I picked the Montbell Alpine Light parka (http://www.prolitegear.com/montbell_alpine_light_down_parka.html), 15.6 oz on my scale (441 grams) in size large including stuff sack.

I've not tested this in cold weather yet, but looking it over and reading reviews, etc I'm confident that it will do the job for me. I'm also taking a Montbell thermawrap vest that I can layer underneath it, more to have the option to walk in that if it's very cold out (no way I could walk more than a tenth of a mile in the down jacket ... no doubt too warm).

BPL did a spotlite review on it last year; I'm not currently a member, but here's the accompanying discussion thread (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=15085).
No membership required to read three reviews on backpackgeartest.org (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Jackets/MontBell%20Alpine%20Light%20Jacket/)

In fact, that's a good site to look for reviews (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Jackets/) on whatever you end up buying.

ShelterLeopard
12-08-2009, 15:00
And by the way, I will be accompanied from Georgia to Maine by Mr. Squirrel. He's about 4 inches tall, squeaks, and does not complain when his feet hurt.

Blissful
12-08-2009, 15:35
I have all the long distance gear minus my bag and jacket. I need to get a warm, light, packable down jacket. Any suggestions?

Hopefully I'll see all of you out there!

Might look at the new Lands End packable down jacket out there. In the gear forum hikers are discussing it.

Blissful
12-08-2009, 15:35
And by the way, I will be accompanied from Georgia to Maine by Mr. Squirrel. He's about 4 inches tall, squeaks, and does not complain when his feet hurt.

Cute! Have a blast. :) One day at a time.

Cocoon
12-08-2009, 15:40
There is about a 50% chance I will be starting in early to mid February. I prefer hiking in cold weather to warm weather. I started my 2005 thru-hike attempt(completed about 800 miles) on January 2 so I know what to expect as far as cold conditions. I like solitude but not seeing another person for days and almost never having another person in the shelter was a little more solitude than I like after a while. It is good to see there will be several people starting in February.

I'm taking a 5 degree bag with a liner. Shouldn't have any trouble keeping warm while sleeping. I did my last winter hike with just a fleece jacket and it kept me warm enough while hiking. On cold days I had to quickly get into my bag once stopped at the shelter though.

clarkfree
12-10-2009, 01:01
0/ anytime between feb 25-30 my 22nd birthday is on march tenth.

JoshStover
12-10-2009, 01:15
0/ anytime between feb 25-30 my 22nd birthday is on march tenth.

There is only 28 days in February. Ill buy you a beer for your birthday if we meet up on the trail! I will be leaving the last week of February/First week of March.

Okie Dokie
12-10-2009, 01:51
Old timer here...you early February starters pay close attention to your core body temperatures along the way...don't let yourself become a statistic....if I were younger I'd be right there with you, at least in terms of enthusiasm and optimism...good luck to you...geeze, I sound like my Mom...heh...

ShelterLeopard
12-10-2009, 11:26
Thanks Okie Dokie! We colder weather starters will look out for each other. Anyone with blue lips...

I'm doing some in the snow shakedown hikes, if anyone from the area around PA/NJ is interested, by the way.

drifters quest
12-12-2009, 23:52
I know this is "kinda" off topic, but should I expect to need a down jacket if I start my hike March 10?

ShelterLeopard
12-13-2009, 00:42
A lot of people recommended down jackets... But I think you'd be okay with good fleece.

BrianLe
12-13-2009, 01:03
FWIW, I had planned on layering a Montbell thermawrap vest over a thermawrap jacket, and after reading a lot of ideas about this topic and looking at things like clo's (temperature rating numbers) on BPL, etc, I reluctantly bought a down parka for my late Feb start. In part it depends on your hiking style --- if, for example, you have a sufficient sleeping bag and you're happy to quickly get into the bag as soon as you stop hiking on colder afternoons/evenings, then maybe you would be okay. Another factor might be how willing you are to leave the trail or stay off the trail in a hostel or motel to wait out colder weather ...

My parka was some $$ out of course, and added a little weight, but less than I thought --- my thermawrap jacket is about 10 oz, and the Montbell Alpine Light down parka I got is 15.6 oz. I can live with that.

Part of the decision for me is that I hope to do some trips where the down parka is definitely the right piece of gear, so in that context I'm going to splurge and get some down booties as well --- might as well be that much safer and more comfortable now if I hope and expect to use the same gear again later!

ShelterLeopard
12-13-2009, 01:05
I'm getting the down booties as well- maybe feathered friends.

DapperD
12-13-2009, 01:17
FWIW, I had planned on layering a Montbell thermawrap vest over a thermawrap jacket, and after reading a lot of ideas about this topic and looking at things like clo's (temperature rating numbers) on BPL, etc, I reluctantly bought a down parka for my late Feb start. In part it depends on your hiking style --- if, for example, you have a sufficient sleeping bag and you're happy to quickly get into the bag as soon as you stop hiking on colder afternoons/evenings, then maybe you would be okay. Another factor might be how willing you are to leave the trail or stay off the trail in a hostel or motel to wait out colder weather ...

My parka was some $$ out of course, and added a little weight, but less than I thought --- my thermawrap jacket is about 10 oz, and the Montbell Alpine Light down parka I got is 15.6 oz. I can live with that.

Part of the decision for me is that I hope to do some trips where the down parka is definitely the right piece of gear, so in that context I'm going to splurge and get some down booties as well --- might as well be that much safer and more comfortable now if I hope and expect to use the same gear again later!Just wondering if your down parka is waterproof or not. This is one thing anyone wearing down needs to be concerned about is having it become wet, as it will quickly lose it's insulating abilities. This is where going with a layering system and including the Thermawrap may be a better choice, in the really cold, wet weather as the thermawrap will still continue to insulate, unlike the down.

white_russian
12-13-2009, 08:14
I'm getting the down booties as well- maybe feathered friends.
FF is an excellent choice. I own a pair and love the two part system.

white_russian
12-13-2009, 08:33
I know this is "kinda" off topic, but should I expect to need a down jacket if I start my hike March 10?
Just pick up a cheap one (Lands End maybe) and carry it for a month. You might could get away without it, but down jackets really increase your quality of life in the woods.

BrianLe
12-13-2009, 11:44
DapperD said:

"Just wondering if your down parka is waterproof or not. This is one thing anyone wearing down needs to be concerned about is having it become wet, as it will quickly lose it's insulating abilities. This is where going with a layering system and including the Thermawrap may be a better choice, in the really cold, wet weather as the thermawrap will still continue to insulate, unlike the down."

Waterproof? I think the wise mental model for a thru-hikers is that nothing is water proof. Like I think most similar down products these days the Parka came with a DWR (durable water resistant) finish. It's not eVent fabric or anything like that, so likely has to be renewed at some point, but reviews suggest that the DWR on my parka is pretty good.

Of course Exceloft (the synthetic insulation in Thermawrap garments) retains warmth better than collapsed clumbs of feathers in a wet down garment or bag. Montbell claims that it dries quickly, but that's a relative thing. Simply air drying my Thermawrap jacket after washing it takes a good long time, and I doubt that the Thermawrap jacket is going to be too-o-o warm if soaking wet. It's thin enough that I suppose a person could eventually dry it out using body heat, but that would be a tricky proposition. Bottom line by far the best thing is to keep insulation layers of any material from getting wet!

FWIW, I will be layering; I'll still bring a thermawrap vest, not only to layer but as something I can possibly wear when not going up steep hills if it's very cold out (how's that for caveats ...).

"... in the really cold, wet weather as the thermawrap will still continue to insulate, unlike the down."

In fact, the down will continue to insulate just fine in cold wet weather, so long as the down itself doesn't get wet. If it's wet out, throw a poncho over it, and for the most part stay inside tent or other shelter. I live in WA state, justly reputed for being a bit wet at times, and I use a down sleeping bag exclusively.

DapperD, I don't mean the above to come across as argumentative, just putting out another viewpoint. You're of course right that soaking wet down insulation of any sort isn't of much use, the dead airspace collapses when the feathers are wet!

DapperD
12-13-2009, 12:57
DapperD said:

Waterproof? I think the wise mental model for a thru-hikers is that nothing is water proof. Like I think most similar down products these days the Parka came with a DWR (durable water resistant) finish. It's not eVent fabric or anything like that, so likely has to be renewed at some point, but reviews suggest that the DWR on my parka is pretty good.

Of course Exceloft (the synthetic insulation in Thermawrap garments) retains warmth better than collapsed clumbs of feathers in a wet down garment or bag. Montbell claims that it dries quickly, but that's a relative thing. Simply air drying my Thermawrap jacket after washing it takes a good long time, and I doubt that the Thermawrap jacket is going to be too-o-o warm if soaking wet. It's thin enough that I suppose a person could eventually dry it out using body heat, but that would be a tricky proposition. Bottom line by far the best thing is to keep insulation layers of any material from getting wet!

FWIW, I will be layering; I'll still bring a thermawrap vest, not only to layer but as something I can possibly wear when not going up steep hills if it's very cold out (how's that for caveats ...).

In fact, the down will continue to insulate just fine in cold wet weather, so long as the down itself doesn't get wet. If it's wet out, throw a poncho over it, and for the most part stay inside tent or other shelter. I live in WA state, justly reputed for being a bit wet at times, and I use a down sleeping bag exclusively.

DapperD, I don't mean the above to come across as argumentative, just putting out another viewpoint. You're of course right that soaking wet down insulation of any sort isn't of much use, the dead airspace collapses when the feathers are wet!I don't take your response as argumentative at all, Brian. I really don't know what is the best approach. I think in dry, cold weather the down is the way to go. In not quite as cold, but wet weather, the thermawrap may have the edge. Naturally you would still need to carry and add your outer raingear layer when necessary regardless. One advantage with the Thermawrap is that it is somewhat thinner, so you can add and remove layer's as necessary a little bit easier, if one becomes too warm. Removing the down jacket, on the other hand, may (possibly) cause one to become chilled faster, as it does provide more overall warmth. I think your approach is good, as I said, I really don't know. I have planned a thru-hike for awhile, and haven't found the right opportunity yet to do it unfortunately. I did purchase a Thermawrap Parka, and plan to layer it with a fleece and a baselayer. I would add my raingear when needed, however am not sure wether an additional layer might also be needed for the really cold weather one might encounter earlier on in the year. I also will have a quality bag to retreat into when I stop hiking for the day if I find myself becoming very cold.

Sully5400
12-15-2009, 18:28
I used to really be afraid of down bags and jackets because of their propensity to get wet and lose R value.

For me, I now have the confidence (done 600 mile section before) that I can keep my bag dry regardless of the weather outside. Also, in the South, you're never more than 30 or so miles away, so if you absolutely HAD to get out, it's feasible.

For me, it's not so much the weight difference as the size, Synthetic bags are so much bulkier, and as a result push weight farther out from your back, etc.

But, there is nothing wrong with synthetic gear. The right stuff will keep you warm. It's what I used most of my life and still what I recommend to my scouts and other hiker/campers.

That being said,

I Cannot wait to see (hopefully) all of you out there! As I stated before I plan to leave the 15th but have no problem delaying up to 1.5 or 2 weeks if the weather is really wet (not snowy).

I'll be sure to post again when I know more about my departure date.

Also, guys might want to think about sporting a beard to begin with (sorry ladies!). Whiskers go a long way to knock the edge off a chill, and I know the idea of clean shaven at Springer and full out mountain man at Katahdin is appealing, but you might appreciate those few weeks worth of growth.

I think when it gets to be unbearably hot and buggy further along we will all look back on the chill of February with fondness. I absolutely love hiking in cold weather. The hardest part for me is spending 12 hours in a sleeping bag some nights, lying there, convincing yourself you don't have to pee.:banana

DapperD
12-15-2009, 21:57
I used to really be afraid of down bags and jackets because of their propensity to get wet and lose R value.

For me, I now have the confidence (done 600 mile section before) that I can keep my bag dry regardless of the weather outside. Also, in the South, you're never more than 30 or so miles away, so if you absolutely HAD to get out, it's feasible.

For me, it's not so much the weight difference as the size, Synthetic bags are so much bulkier, and as a result push weight farther out from your back, etc.

But, there is nothing wrong with synthetic gear. The right stuff will keep you warm. It's what I used most of my life and still what I recommend to my scouts and other hiker/campers. I do feel that as far as sleeping bags are concerned, down is the way to go. As long as care is taken to insure they remain dry, the light weight and small volume is definately going to be worth the effort. My question is I am not too sure how a down parka would be for hiking in, as far as sweating, etc...I am sort of the opinion that for an AT thru-hike in normal seasons it may not be the wisest choice :-?.

white_russian
12-15-2009, 23:44
My question is I am not too sure how a down parka would be for hiking in, as far as sweating, etc...I am sort of the opinion that for an AT thru-hike in normal seasons it may not be the wisest choice :-?.
You hike in synthetic and then put on your luxurious down jacket when you get to camp and are chilling out. Sure you could just go straight in your bag and stay warm, but that is not my idea of relaxation.

Praha4
12-16-2009, 02:36
Anyone starting in February 2010 best be ready for very cold weather. I just hiked Dicks Creek Gap to Winding Stair Gap last week, and spent last Wed nite (12/9) at Standing Indian Mtn campsite ... overnite temps of 8-10 F, and 25-35 mph winds. Had 3 straight days of subfreezing temps, water bottles, hydration bladders were frozen solid for 3 days without insulation. Aqua Mira and pump filters were frozen too. Trail was covered in ice in many places, hazardous footing on some narrow ledges in the Albert Mountain area. Just be prepared for this type backpacking, it's not like spring/summer/fall hiking. Make sure you have a sleep system/bag rated for these type conditions. Good luck.

ShelterLeopard
12-16-2009, 11:22
I think when it gets to be unbearably hot and buggy further along we will all look back on the chill of February with fondness. I absolutely love hiking in cold weather. The hardest part for me is spending 12 hours in a sleeping bag some nights, lying there, convincing yourself you don't have to pee.:banana

Me too! I love the cold. It's just so painful to be warm and comfortable and hear the wind howling and think there's no better place to be than here in this warm tent and fluffy sleeping bag, and suddenly realize that you have to pee. Nothing is worse... But cold weather is still the best!

Had 3 straight days of subfreezing temps, water bottles, hydration bladders were frozen solid for 3 days without insulation. Aqua Mira and pump filters were frozen too.

Trying to decide whether to leave my pump home and mail it to myself, or to take it from the start. Don't want it to freeze... but iodine tabs don't work as well in the cold anyway... Any thoughts? And I don't think it would be feasible or fuel efficient to say I'll boil all my water.

ShelterLeopard
12-16-2009, 11:23
Though, on the other hand, I will be boiling water at night anyway, to put in my tent. And in the morning, for oatmeal and coffee... Maybe that isn't such a bad idea...

white_russian
12-16-2009, 11:47
Trying to decide whether to leave my pump home and mail it to myself, or to take it from the start. Don't want it to freeze... but iodine tabs don't work as well in the cold anyway... Any thoughts? And I don't think it would be feasible or fuel efficient to say I'll boil all my water.
A Steripen would probably work best. I think you need to keep your batteries inside your jacket to stay warm though. I don't have one though so I don't know how well they work in the winter.

Really most of the water in the south is safe for drinking without treatment anyway, but I wouldn't want to be caught very thirsty at a spot where I needed to treat it.

ShelterLeopard
12-16-2009, 12:23
I've always stayed away from the Steripens... somehow, they make me uneasy. First of all, I think the idea of radiating water is a bit sketchy... And I also like to filter it to get rid of the big particles. (That isn't why I wouldn't use it though. The idea of nuking water is what gets me).

white_russian
12-16-2009, 12:51
I've always stayed away from the Steripens... somehow, they make me uneasy. First of all, I think the idea of radiating water is a bit sketchy... And I also like to filter it to get rid of the big particles. (That isn't why I wouldn't use it though. The idea of nuking water is what gets me).
UV water treatment is proven technology. It is not nuking, there is nothing involving nuclear radiation going on with them. Look it up, it is safe and effective.

Big particles can be removed by a bandanna or the Steripen comes with a filter cap for Nalgene bottles.

ShelterLeopard
12-16-2009, 12:57
I am suspicious of anything like that- can't help it!

BrianLe
12-16-2009, 13:27
White Russian said:

"You hike in synthetic and then put on your luxurious down jacket when you get to camp and are chilling out. Sure you could just go straight in your bag and stay warm, but that is not my idea of relaxation."

Agreed, I wouldn't consider walking on trail with a down parka, but for me it's beyond just comfort/relaxation. It's about safety --- beefing up the overall rating of my sleep system, i.e., wear the parka inside my (20F rated) sleeping bag that has adequate volume to allow that. Ditto the down booties I'm bringing; good (inside something protective) around camp, but also augment sleeping bag warmth.

Also helpful at lunchtime or any extended break, where it's a bit easier to deploy a parka than dig to the bottom of the pack and pull out the sleeping bag.

Water treatment: I'm going with Aqua Mira (liquid form). Hopefully there will be above freezing times during daylight hours to let it "cook" a little, or if not, I can at worst rotate my water bottle inside my sleeping bag for a while (once I'm adequately toasty inside) to allow water temperatures to get high enough for 20 minutes or so of chemical goodness to take place. Don't want to have to baby a pump to keep it from freezing; a steripen is an interesting alternative, but I already have too much backpacking gear as it is ! Maybe I can buy one at Neels Gap if I change my mind that early on.

Sully5400
12-16-2009, 17:21
Please someone tell me if I'm setting myself up for disaster...

I don't plan on having a parka to hike in. I think with a beefy thermal top, another warm fleece with a turtle neck, a baclava, a rainjacket/wind layer, gloves, bottoms, goretex socks, gloves, etc... I won't need a parka. I'll have a down jacket for down time.

Is this dangerous? Two jackets seems like overkill to me. I think I can manage, and when I get cold, just hike faster.

Thanks for the tip that Aquamira freezes, from experience I know it does. I plan on taking iodine tablets, but I don't treat my water if it doesn't look sketchy.

ShelterLeopard
12-16-2009, 17:25
Sounds totally fine to me- that's pretty close to what I'm doing.

Down jacket, fleece underneath, balaclava, gloves, maybe down booties (I know I'll use 'em later on other trails as well), long underwear, socks, fluffy hat, etc...

ShelterLeopard
12-16-2009, 17:26
The feathered friends down booties, because you can wear 'em around camp, then take off the liner and all, and wear 'em in your sleeping bag!

Safari
12-16-2009, 18:00
Just jumping in here regarding Steripens... I came down with a nasty dose of Giardia (as did another Steripen-using hiking mate) early on in my thru this year in Maine, I changed to Aqua Mira & never had another water treatment issue all the way to Springer...not saying that the reason I caught Giardia was becos of the Steripen,(I am no expert on whether UV can guarantee to kill the Giardia parasite ) but hey, maybe they are too good to be true... filtering & chlorine/ iodine are proven methods of purifying water, then again many hikers I hung out with never treated their water at all...:-?

ShelterLeopard
12-16-2009, 18:30
Just jumping in here regarding Steripens... I came down with a nasty dose of Giardia (as did another Steripen-using hiking mate) early on in my thru this year in Maine, I changed to Aqua Mira & never had another water treatment issue all the way to Springer...not saying that the reason I caught Giardia was becos of the Steripen,(I am no expert on whether UV can guarantee to kill the Giardia parasite ) but hey, maybe they are too good to be true... filtering & chlorine/ iodine are proven methods of purifying water, then again many hikers I hung out with never treated their water at all...:-?

I have never trusted Steripens. First, how can that possibly get everything? Second, nuking my water (or whatever happens) doesn't sit well with me...

I always take my Katadyn and an emergency bottle of iodide tabs, but I may switch to aqua mira for a bit and see if I like it, in the interest of saving weight, room, and frozen tubes.

rjridgely
12-16-2009, 18:38
On the trail January 21

white_russian
12-16-2009, 19:07

Its all about good hygiene.

Sully5400
12-16-2009, 23:29
[QUOTE]Its all about good hygiene./QUOTE]

I second this, I think a lot of ailments stem from bad hygiene, and the go-to blame is always water.

Hand sanitizer is a must.

Petr
12-16-2009, 23:54
Please someone tell me if I'm setting myself up for disaster...

I don't plan on having a parka to hike in. I think with a beefy thermal top, another warm fleece with a turtle neck, a baclava, a rainjacket/wind layer, gloves, bottoms, goretex socks, gloves, etc... I won't need a parka. I'll have a down jacket for down time.

I am unsure as to how a Middle Eastern dessert will keep you warm, but otherwise you're probably fine. ;)

Sully5400
12-17-2009, 21:06
Very observant, Petr.:D

I supposed I lost a syllable in there. Although the calories could help...

Which leads me to say this.

I'm packing on some lbs. The last time i did a long hike, I started at 210lbs, and by month 2 I was a svelte 170. I'm about 195 now, and I think the cold will only accelerate weight loss, so dessert, here I come!

Wolf - 23000
12-17-2009, 21:56

ShelterLeopard,

If you do carry your pump, early on (until it warms up) you will need to place it inside your sleeping bag. If you don't, after using it once there will always be some water left inside. That same water will freeze (expanding of course) and will break your water filter. It is up to you if you carry one or not.

Hopes this helps,

Wolf

ShelterLeopard
12-17-2009, 21:58
Thanks Wolf- I figured keeping it inside my bag, I'll decide on my upcoming January shakedowns.

Wolf - 23000
12-17-2009, 22:06
[quote]Its all about good hygiene./QUOTE]

I second this, I think a lot of ailments stem from bad hygiene, and the go-to blame is always water.

Hand sanitizer is a must.

Sully,

Hand sanitizer is not needed. Your hands are going to be dirty. Putting hand sanitizer on dirty hands doesn't change the fact you still have dirt on your hands.

The best things is plain water which unlike hand sanitizer can wash dirt away.

And that time of year, it going to be cold out starting off. Just leaving it out inside or inside your pack it can freeze and leave some little chucks of ice inside. To place that on your bare skin is not a good idea.

Wolf

ShelterLeopard
12-17-2009, 22:15
Do the Matthewski method- just take sponge baths 3-4 times a day!

(I take one once in a while, with my bandana, if I'm near a nice spring near where I'm camping, and if it's some semblance of warm out, and if I'm done hiking early.)

white_russian
12-17-2009, 22:25
[quote=Sully5400;934612]

Sully,

Hand sanitizer is not needed. Your hands are going to be dirty. Putting hand sanitizer on dirty hands doesn't change the fact you still have dirt on your hands.

The best things is plain water which unlike hand sanitizer can wash dirt away.

And that time of year, it going to be cold out starting off. Just leaving it out inside or inside your pack it can freeze and leave some little chucks of ice inside. To place that on your bare skin is not a good idea.

Wolf
What is so bad about having dirt on your hands? If you use the purell you wil have sanitized dirty hands. Just washing your hands off with make your hands superficially clean, but isn't going to kill any bugs.

ShelterLeopard
12-17-2009, 22:28
I find that hand sanitizer on trail is only good for starting fires.

Wolf - 23000
12-17-2009, 22:34
Though, on the other hand, I will be boiling water at night anyway, to put in my tent. And in the morning, for oatmeal and coffee... Maybe that isn't such a bad idea...

ShLep,

Just a tip: At night I always place my water in my cooking pot even when doing the winter LT hike. Even in the extreme cold weather only a thin layer with become ice. The rest is still water ready for a cold drink or to be heated up with a stove.

Just a suggestion but you may want to start off with a 2-lt pot while the weather is cold. At night you can leave out more water for the morning. It will makes life easier to heat up water at night/morning for both your meal and a hot drink to go with it. If you plan on having hot drinks, it also will help to saves on fuel.

Later on as it warms up you can switch over to a 1-lt pot. If your worry about cost, you can justify it by needing both as you prepare for the LT in the winter.

Hopes this helps,

Wolf

Wolf - 23000
12-17-2009, 22:38
[quote=Wolf - 23000;935305]
What is so bad about having dirt on your hands? If you use the purell you wil have sanitized dirty hands. Just washing your hands off with make your hands superficially clean, but isn't going to kill any bugs.

WR,

I suppose there is nothing wrong with having sanitized dirty hands. They will be so sanitized you can eat the dirt right off of them. :D I'll stick with using water.

Wolf

ShelterLeopard
12-17-2009, 22:47
ShLep,

Just a tip: At night I always place my water in my cooking pot even when doing the winter LT hike. Even in the extreme cold weather only a thin layer with become ice. The rest is still water ready for a cold drink or to be heated up with a stove.

Just a suggestion but you may want to start off with a 2-lt pot while the weather is cold. At night you can leave out more water for the morning. It will makes life easier to heat up water at night/morning for both your meal and a hot drink to go with it. If you plan on having hot drinks, it also will help to saves on fuel.

Later on as it warms up you can switch over to a 1-lt pot. If your worry about cost, you can justify it by needing both as you prepare for the LT in the winter.

Hopes this helps,

Wolf

I actually thought about a 2 L, because I like to cook biscuits in it (using a twiggy fire), but I only really cook during the warmer weather (even though, in colder weather, I'd appreciate it more. But no matter what romantic ideals I have about having piping hot buttermilk biscuits in freezing cold, I know by now that I won't want to do it.), but didn't think about it for storing water at night.

It'd be a good investment anyway, as I take my brother hiking sometimes, and cook food for both of us. I'll probably get one, and I'll decide whether or not I'll bring it after my shakedown.

A really simply pot with not lid knob would be perfect...

Wolf - 23000
12-17-2009, 23:06
A really simply pot with not lid knob would be perfect...

If you don't use a lid your heating time will increase about 30%. Also, after your water is boiling, you don't need to keep it over the stove to cook. It can simmer by itself. Having a lid helps a lot in saving fuel.

Aluminum foil works great for a lid. It is lighter than a standard lid and works the same.

Hopes this helps,

Wolf

ShelterLeopard
12-17-2009, 23:14
Wow- you can tell when I'm tired. A "really simply pot with not lid knob"? Ooh boy, no more posting for me tonight, I cut myself off!

I meant I will bring a lid, just I don't want a plastic knob on top. I don't use aluminum, because I cook with twiggy fires sometimes, and need to put the fire in the lid. (But, I may not do that on my thru...we'll see).

Bati
12-17-2009, 23:48
A good water filter should not freeze up, or only barely. My pocket filter only froze once (probably a drop of water left on the tip) and I quickly thawed on top of a pot with a little snow in on my stove. Just be sure to pack your filter in deeply inside your pack on cold days or wear it inside your gore-tex. And yes, you should keep it in your bag. The same rule applies to your lighter- they freeze up very quickly. As for boiling water or melting snow, the weight of your fuel will quickly become excessive.

No one has mentioned the best piece of southern winter gear- the plastic grocery bag. Wear one over your socks before you put on frozen or wet boots. Your feet will warm up much more quickly withe the vapor barrier, and yes, they will be wet, but warm and wet. And let's face it- the day I dug my boots out from under the foot of snow that had blown into the vestiblue, my feet were going to be wet no matter what. When you stop at night you can change into dryer socks, put on more bags, and walk around in the snow in your sandals. I haven't done much winter camping lately, so I'm not sure how well crocs handle the cold, but do be careful with cheap/summer-weight foam sleeping pads. Many will freeze solid and can't be rolled up without breaking them.

Take quart size water bottles and they won't freeze as quickly. Wide-mouth nalgenes are a good choice; carry them upside down and you can usually break the ice layer with the lid.

And be sure you have a map and compass. Batteries will die quickly on a GPS, and the trail (or your escape route) can be difficult to find in the snow. The good news is that bad storms are rare down South, except for the Smokies.

ShelterLeopard
12-18-2009, 00:21
A good water filter should not freeze up, or only barely. My pocket filter only froze once (probably a drop of water left on the tip) and I quickly thawed on top of a pot with a little snow in on my stove. Just be sure to pack your filter in deeply inside your pack on cold days or wear it inside your gore-tex. And yes, you should keep it in your bag. The same rule applies to your lighter- they freeze up very quickly. As for boiling water or melting snow, the weight of your fuel will quickly become excessive.

No one has mentioned the best piece of southern winter gear- the plastic grocery bag. Wear one over your socks before you put on frozen or wet boots. Your feet will warm up much more quickly withe the vapor barrier, and yes, they will be wet, but warm and wet. And let's face it- the day I dug my boots out from under the foot of snow that had blown into the vestiblue, my feet were going to be wet no matter what. When you stop at night you can change into dryer socks, put on more bags, and walk around in the snow in your sandals. I haven't done much winter camping lately, so I'm not sure how well crocs handle the cold, but do be careful with cheap/summer-weight foam sleeping pads. Many will freeze solid and can't be rolled up without breaking them.

Take quart size water bottles and they won't freeze as quickly. Wide-mouth nalgenes are a good choice; carry them upside down and you can usually break the ice layer with the lid.

And be sure you have a map and compass. Batteries will die quickly on a GPS, and the trail (or your escape route) can be difficult to find in the snow. The good news is that bad storms are rare down South, except for the Smokies.

Never use a GPS, don't need or want it (but always have maps and compass). Sleep with my camera batteries. Always take nalgenes (and an evernew water bag to carry cooking water), have heard the plastic bag thing, thanks very much for reminding me!

And a good filter will freeze if it's cold- maybe a good filter shouldn't break if it freezes, but might anyway.

I know, I know, said I'm off to bed and I wouldn't post anymore tonight, now for real1

takethisbread
12-18-2009, 10:49
I hiked the other day here. Temps began in low 20's got to 30. Feet were not an issue, lost down jacket early don't need it just used; base layer, one layer slghtly looser fit, plus a shell. Wore underarmor long underwear and convertable pants, hat and thin gloves (UA cold gear), and I was plenty warm, except the gloves were not enough.

This is likely much colder than Springer to Smoky mtns in Febuary.

I will say it's a short day, and setting up camp by 2:30-3:00 seems a must, I would want to be on my bag by sundown.

Chaco Taco
12-21-2009, 10:30
[quote=white_russian;935314]

WR,

I suppose there is nothing wrong with having sanitized dirty hands. They will be so sanitized you can eat the dirt right off of them. :D I'll stick with using water.

Wolf

Guy in our class followed the same philosophy and got Giardia. Carry something to sanitize after you use the bathroom. And if you are using just water, doesnt really make sense. ATLEAST pour some denatured on your hands.

Chaco Taco
12-21-2009, 10:32
Do the Matthewski method- just take sponge baths 3-4 times a day!

(I take one once in a while, with my bandana, if I'm near a nice spring near where I'm camping, and if it's some semblance of warm out, and if I'm done hiking early.)

I hardly ever saw Matty take a bath and I was with him from Damascus to New Jersey:D

ShelterLeopard
12-21-2009, 11:10
He explained it all- he gets up like a quiet little gnome when everyone else is sleeping or otherwise occupied and sneaks off to bathe...

BrianLe
12-21-2009, 13:54
"ATLEAST pour some denatured on your hands."

If you elect to do this, I suggest you think/read briefly about the trade-off you're making. Any sort of near-100-proof alcohol isn't a great thing to be putting on your skin on a regular basis --- can burn, dry it out. And denatured alcohol is near-pure alcohol that has been intentionally poisoned, using one or multiple poisoning agents. As this article (http://www.earthceuticals.com/earthceuticals-natural-news/denatured-alcohol.html) says, "The skin, as the body's largest organ makes an excellent delivery system that can easily transport undesirable chemicals right through the skin and into the bloodstream".

A mini-bottle of Purell is quite a light and easy thing to keep handy for hand sanitizing.

drifters quest
12-21-2009, 14:42
I'm not afraid of a little dirt, it's the stuff I can't see that will hurt me. I'll be carrying a one ounce sanitizer

Sully5400
12-21-2009, 20:44
As always, to each their own, but I feel the need to sanitize especially after a trip to the privy. I don't worry about dirt, and for the most part I don't purify my water. Knocking on wood as I say this, I've never gotten ill from my water.

And I would not pour denatured on your hands, if I were you. I don't think something that can strip paint would be a good thing to have soaking through your pores. You might catch a buzz, but there are better ways to do that in the woods!

I think it looks like I can get a ride down to Springer on the 27th, so that is my new tentative start date. I want to be in Maine in August, which lends for a relaxed pace, something I'm fine with.

Thanks for the tip on filling up a pot, I always put my big slams lid-down, so that the ice forms in the bottom and doesn't prevent you from drinking.

Gonna be cold! I hope everyone is getting excited.

takethisbread
12-21-2009, 20:50
Hope I don't offend, but I don't sanitize my hands, I never use a privy, and I rarely bathe!

But I do treat my water.

DapperD
12-21-2009, 20:52
Hope I don't offend, but I don't sanitize my hands, I never use a privy, and I rarely bathe!

But I do treat my water.I think you forgot to add you hike solo also:D

Wolf - 23000
12-21-2009, 23:34

Bati,

Even the best water filters will still freeze. The problem is not just the hose end that freezes but actually inside the filter where the carbine is. Once you use it, it will still be wet inside. That wetness will freeze at night or possible during the day and it will CRACK ANY WATER FILTER as the water expands turning into ice.

While hiking, placing your filter deep inside your pack will help more than placing the filter inside your gore-tex jacket. If you place the filter in one of the outer pockets, your body heat will do little to keep it from freezing. If you place it inside your jacket (in a ziplock bag of course) it will take away your body heat and you are more likely to be colder, easier. Your body has to warming up the water inside the filter as well as keeping yourself warm.

When winter hiking, the last thing you want to do is get your clothing wet. You should try to keep your clothing/equipment as dry as possible. When hiking long distance, your grocery bags are going to get ripped up very quickly. They are simple not durable enough for a long distance hike. For most boots, you are better off placing them inside your sleeping bag at night and avoid the issue of them freezing at night.

Crocs work fine for winter hiking but are not really needed on most of the southern AT. The places you may need them during the winter is around the Smokies. I used them when I was winter backpacking the LT and the New England states.

Wide mouths are a good choice and placing the water bottles upside down is an old trick. If you place your water bottle in a place which the water is moving around more it is also less likely to freeze. I carry my water bottle normally in my hands and bounce it from one hand to the another. Every so often, I'll unscrew the cap and take a sip to keep hydrated and to avoid my cap freezing.

Most batteries will die quickly in the winter. The Energizer e2 lithium batteries cost more than your regular batteries but are worth it in the winter. They keep their charge even in the extremely COLD and last a lot longer than your average batteries. I saw it firsthand winter hiking 30 days through the state of Maine. On the southern AT, you won't need a GPS.

Hopes this helps,

Wolf

Wolf - 23000
12-21-2009, 23:42

But I do treat my water.

Well the rest of us would APPRECIATE it if you would bathe!!! Who do you think you are? One of those SMELLY, Dirty hikers. lol :D

Wolf

BrianLe
01-06-2010, 03:25
Some interesting weather ~news from accuweather.com (http://www.accuweather.com/news-weather-features.asp?partner=&traveler=0&date=2010-01-04_1701&month=1&year=2010)
Including this text:
"While Bastardi says the upcoming days will bring cold not seen since 1985 or 1982, he believes this winter is shaping up much that of like 1977-78. That winter, nearly all of the United States east of the Rockies had a cold October followed by a warm November, with the cold returning in December.

What is most interesting in this case is what followed, where the months from January through March can all be classified as very cold, relative to normal. "

Let's hope that weather forecasters ability to make longer range forecasts continues to suck ... while I don't mind winter walking for a while, I'd just as soon avoid hitting any records for cold ... !

Wolf - 23000
01-06-2010, 06:19
Some interesting weather ~news from accuweather.com (http://www.accuweather.com/news-weather-features.asp?partner=&traveler=0&date=2010-01-04_1701&month=1&year=2010)
Including this text:
"While Bastardi says the upcoming days will bring cold not seen since 1985 or 1982, he believes this winter is shaping up much that of like 1977-78. That winter, nearly all of the United States east of the Rockies had a cold October followed by a warm November, with the cold returning in December.

What is most interesting in this case is what followed, where the months from January through March can all be classified as very cold, relative to normal. "

Let's hope that weather forecasters ability to make longer range forecasts continues to suck ... while I don't mind winter walking for a while, I'd just as soon avoid hitting any records for cold ... !

Yea, Yea, Yea. Ok, it will be cold. Is it really a big surprise to anyone? Big Deal. No one knows the weather so why worry about it. If you know what your doing with won't be that bad. Just enjoy the cool weather and hike on.

Now that I said that, I think I'm getting a nice tan. It is easy to do where I'm at.

Wolf

Old Hiker
01-06-2010, 09:27
<Hand waving frantically in the air - "oooh -oooh sounds" >

Does 29 Feb 2012 count? I have to take a leave of absence for my hike, so I need to be done before mid-August to get back to work.

My only problem is I've been in Florida too long and have pretty much deleted all the cold weather gear the military issued to me or I bought over the years.

Old Hiker

littlewalnut
01-06-2010, 10:39
i am heading back to the states on jan 29 for a start on feb 6th or 7th

the weather will be a little bit of a change for me being that im leaving temps of 90 to 105 here in africa, but i cant wait to get back on the trail

littlewalnut
01-06-2010, 10:47
Most batteries will die quickly in the winter. The Energizer e2 lithium batteries cost more than your regular batteries but are worth it in the winter. They keep their charge even in the extremely COLD and last a lot longer than your average batteries. I saw it firsthand winter hiking 30 days through the state of Maine. On the southern AT, you won't need a GPS.

Hopes this helps,

Wolf[/QUOTE]

we ueed e2 s on everast last year and thay did great!! 2 sets got me up and back down.

Myaaka
01-11-2010, 14:54
*jumping up and down raising hand shouting Me, Me, I am going in Feb!!!* :) I will be on the approach trail on the 24th of Feb! I can't believe so many people are starting out this early! From the research I have done over the last two years I actually thought I might go a few days without seeing anyone. This will be so cool! I can't wait to get started! :) See you all out there! And good hiking everyone!

drifters quest
01-12-2010, 16:00
i am heading back to the states on jan 29 for a start on feb 6th or 7th

the weather will be a little bit of a change for me being that im leaving temps of 90 to 105 here in africa, but i cant wait to get back on the trail

Hopefully you won't have too much of a problem adjusting. I'll be coming from much colder weather (was -20 earlier this week) so i'm hoping that will give me a bit of an advantage in the cold. Good luck!

ClassicMagger
01-12-2010, 23:08
Hey:

I can't believe I've only just now stumbled across this great looking website.

I'm either leaving the last weekend of January or midway through the first week of February.

I have to get some new gear this week still for the trail, small accident with a friend this past weekend, which liquidated nearly all my stuff.

Well, hope to see some of you out there.

-Kevin

Jester2000
01-12-2010, 23:20
So, raise your hand, who's starting in Feb, and when?

Okay, now that everyone's got their hands in the air, the next step is to wave them like you just don't care.

littlewalnut
01-13-2010, 02:33
Hopefully you won't have too much of a problem adjusting. I'll be coming from much colder weather (was -20 earlier this week) so i'm hoping that will give me a bit of an advantage in the cold. Good luck!

i have a week in NJ when i get back before heading down to GA hopfuly that will give me a little adjusting time

ShelterLeopard
01-13-2010, 12:12
Jester, did you mean that to rhyme?

Walnut- where in Jersey?

Lillianp
01-14-2010, 00:19
I'm pretty sure Jester was quoting music, shlep. And yes, it rhymes.

littlewalnut
01-14-2010, 05:45
Jester, did you mean that to rhyme?

Walnut- where in Jersey?

i will be flying in to philly and staying in feildsboro, alittle south of trenton

Hobbot
01-14-2010, 10:41
i will be flying in to philly and staying in feildsboro, alittle south of trenton

I am not too far south of there (near Cherry Hill), so if you need any thing, let me know.

ShelterLeopard
01-14-2010, 11:19
I'm pretty sure Jester was quoting music, shlep. And yes, it rhymes.

Whoops- never heard it!

Lillianp
01-14-2010, 21:29
Whoops- never heard it!
It's old. When I was a teen (oh, that was so long ago :rolleyes:) I listened to the classic rock stations near me. Although, that may not have been where I heard it. *shrugs*

littlewalnut
01-15-2010, 05:09
I am not too far south of there (near Cherry Hill), so if you need any thing, let me know.

cool, thanks, i will keep you in mind.

Footsore
01-17-2010, 08:44
I don't know the source of this information neither can I attest to its accuracy or timeliness, but there is a website that produces what appears to be a daily forecast of temperature low/high and summary conditions for many waypoints along the trail. The URL is

http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/weather.php

I'm still looking for the entry that says "it's going to be a beautiful day."

Buddydog56
01-17-2010, 09:05
Greetings everybody! I'm a 'green' (no pun intended) to hiking.....
But tentatively planning a Mid April thru hike. I may consider "Takethisbreads" style.....and take this in parts. I do however, am fortunate to have relatives along the way... i.e. in Ga, NJ, and finally in Waldoboro,ME. I'm a bit overwhelmed by it all, but I am known to persevere!
a bientot!
Dave from New Orleans

Praha4
01-17-2010, 16:41
I've done 6 AT section hikes in GA and NC this fall from Springer Mtn to Clingman's Dome in GSMNP, during this time I saw a variety of water treatment methods/devices. Personally I use the MSR Miniworks in camp, and Aqua-Mira drops during the day along the trail.

1. the majority of section hikers I met were using Steripens. I didn't hear any complaints, but most of the Steripen users appeared to be new to hiking or did not have much experience backpacking. I don't say that to criticize them or their choice of the Steripen, it may be a great device.

I also met hikers using Katadyn Hiker pump filters and MSR Mini-Works pump filters. The majority of purist Ultralight hikers I met in GSMNP in September were using strictly Aqua Mira drops. A professional hike guide service in GSMNP (A Walk in the Woods) swears by the MSR Minworks, they won't use any other filters. They said they tried the newest MSR Hyperflow filter, and it got the Backpacker Magazine Editors choice award and all, but they had a lot of problems with the Hyperflow getting clogged too quickly. Plus the MSR Miniworks has been tested by the military and chosen by the US Marine Corps Recon teams.

2. the majority of SOBO thru hikers I met in November and December in GA and NC were not using pump filters, they said they ditched them to save pack weight. Most of them were using either Aqua-Mira, Polar Pure, Clorox drops, or just drinking the water straight from the springs they saw that looked "okay".

Personally I would like to ditch the pump filters entirely to save a few more ounces of pack weight and strictly go with Aqua Mira, but I know there are water sources along the AT that are silty, cloudy, and I prefer to use the pump filters for those. As summer comes, many of the springs at higher elevations along the ridge lines become unreliable or mudpuddles.

Good personal hygiene can't be stressed enuff, I clean my hands/fingers constantly during the day with those Purell hand sanitizer gels.

ShelterLeopard
01-17-2010, 17:14
Greetings everybody! I'm a 'green' (no pun intended) to hiking.....
But tentatively planning a Mid April thru hike. I may consider "Takethisbreads" style.....and take this in parts. I do however, am fortunate to have relatives along the way... i.e. in Ga, NJ, and finally in Waldoboro,ME. I'm a bit overwhelmed by it all, but I am known to persevere!
a bientot!
Dave from New Orleans

Good luck, and if you flopping around, maybe we'll meet up on the trail! (By the way, I hiked with digger, aka takethisbread last night- very nice guy, and maybe you'll see him at some point too)

I've done 6 AT section hikes in GA and NC this fall from Springer Mtn to Clingman's Dome in GSMNP, during this time I saw a variety of water treatment methods/devices. Personally I use the MSR Miniworks in camp, and Aqua-Mira drops during the day along the trail.

Good personal hygiene can't be stressed enuff, I clean my hands/fingers constantly during the day with those Purell hand sanitizer gels.

I'm using the aquamira for the first month, for two reasons. The major reason is that I don't want it to freeze and break, and also, it'd be nice to start with a lower packweight. I also always keep a small bottle of idiode tabs in my pack, just in case.

Most likely, I'll have my filter sent to me in April.

And good hygeine is important. There's no WAY I want to get sick enough to go off trail, and good hygeine is the best way to prevent that. I carry sanitizing wipes and hand sanitizer, usually, but will probably use just the gel for my thru.

brian039
01-20-2010, 00:04
I don't know if this has been said or not as I haven't read through this entire thread but the weather in N. Georgia and Western Carolina in late Feb and early March is really miserable. I seems alot of people are expecting snow which you will probably see some of. But most likely, you are going to get mostly rain and it's going to be cold and windy. Daytime temps will be in the neighborhood 0f 30-40 degrees and you can expect nightime temps to drop 10-20 degrees below that. All that rain you're going to get is going to freeze overnight and make for some treacherous climbs over icy rocks. Not to mention it's going to be windy and you are going to be cold and wet which is ideal conditions for hypothermia.

I've noticed on this website and trailjournals that there seems to be alot more late Feb/early March starters this year. There's a reason people have typically left late March/early April and I'm just wondering if some people might be ill-informed of what weather conditions are like in the South that time of year. I understand some people need to leave early to finish earlier but if you don't have to I would advise against it. I hope you guys and girls will be prepared for what you're getting into and just don't want to see anybody get hurt or worse.

Wolf - 23000
01-20-2010, 02:10
brian039,

I've done the southern AT several times in the winter. The N Georgia will be cold but not to bad. There maybe some snow but nothing to speak of. It doesn't get into anything to difficult until Northern NC/Tenn Smokies Mountains.

Snow is easier to deal with compare to freezing rain of course. Most of your weather report will be snow. The reported weather of rain is normally taken towns that are in lower elevation, where in the mountains the same rain will be snow. Either way, I've hiked in frozen rain and snow many, many, many times. If your prepared for it is not a big deal.

Besides if ShelterLeopard is planning on doing the LT in the winter, the southern AT is easy. I know. :)

Wolf

Jester2000
01-20-2010, 02:17
Start dates seem to get earlier every year.

ShelterLeopard
01-20-2010, 11:29
I'm just wondering if some people might be ill-informed of what weather conditions are like in the South that time of year.

Just masochistic- I'm not worried!

Snow is easier to deal with compare to freezing rain of course. Most of your weather report will be snow. The reported weather of rain is normally taken towns that are in lower elevation, where in the mountains the same rain will be snow. Either way, I've hiked in frozen rain and snow many, many, many times. If your prepared for it is not a big deal.

Besides if ShelterLeopard is planning on doing the LT in the winter, the southern AT is easy. I know. :)

Wolf

:D :D :D

Snow is easier than freezing rain though!!!

Hey, I'll deal, I'm tough. On my shakedown last weekend, we had cold and freezing rain for the second half, and my weird reaction to it was to be psyched. I know, I know, after two weeks of freezing rain, will I still feel like hiking? The answer is, YES!

Yahtzee
01-20-2010, 11:47
I admire all the hearty souls who start in Feb. but you would never catch me in the Smokies on a thru during Feb and early March. That's just asking for 1)trouble or 2) a long wait in Fontana until the trail/weather gets better. GA in Feb and Mar can be cold and miserable but to bearable extents, IMO. The Smokies are 60 miles above 4000 feet of which 45 or so are above 5000 feet. That's wicked and no joke for someone with only 160 miles under their belt. It becomes more like surviving and less like hiking. You gotta have certain constitution to go from Fontana to Davenport Gap in that weather. Since the roads being open to Newfound Gap or Clingman's Dome is not a given, you gotta plan on hiking even in the worst weather or carry 8 or 9 days worth of food.

Hopefully, folks this year will get some pleasant weather.

ShelterLeopard
01-20-2010, 11:59
Hey, as long as you have dry gear for in camp, everything will be fine. (The smokies make me a little nervous as far as keeping gear dry, but I'll figure it out)

ClassicMagger
01-20-2010, 12:08
Okay, I was in the Smokies two weeks ago. That's where the 'tent fire' occurred. Ambient temperature was around 5 degrees Fahrenheit and pretty crappy, but it was all doable. Even without any gear and having to hike out. That was my decision maker-if I could do it in mid. January, I could leave on the 30th from Springer and be a-okay, just like we all will.

Keep your head on and your gear as dry as you can and we'll all be skipping to Katahdin.

ShelterLeopard
01-20-2010, 12:15
Keep your head on and your gear as dry as you can and we'll all be skipping to Katahdin.

Well said! See ya on the trail, magger!

Yahtzee
01-20-2010, 12:17
Yeah, dry clothes are nice, but food is better. The Smokies are 72 miles, and i think you tack on a few more to get to the hostel. In bad weather, 10 miles a day is not easy. A lot of people, I would love to know the percentage, get off at Clingman's or Newfound to head into Gatlinburg becomes they underestimated the amount of food they would need. In Feb or early Mar, those jump off pts. may not be an option. With the 7 or 8 days worth of food needed, a hiker's pack will be at its heaviest, maybe on the whole AT. This will further slow a hiker down.

On the bright side, a big mile day out of the Smokies, say Icewater to Davenport, is doable and a beautiful hike. But when it has to be done out of necessity, it won't be as much fun and you may not enjoy the prettiest part of the AT Smokies because of your need to get to food or shelter.

Not trying to be a downer but the Smokies are not to be trifled with. Everything else down South is easy-peasy in comparison.

ShelterLeopard
01-20-2010, 12:22
Hey, never you can live off of dry clothing alone! I plan to carry plenty of food in the smokies. (Somehow, my pack has lost about 20 pounds since this past summer- really don't know quite how it happened. Anyway, hopefully that'll make it slightly easier to carry more food.) Besides, I'm used to not having an exit- my first major hiking experience was in the hundred mile wilderness.

Mishap
01-20-2010, 12:40
Its funny alot of people are talking about leaving in Feburary to avoid the heat, Im leaving March 13th and im still worried about the cold. (Florida boy here) What kind of temperatures can I expect during the beggining of my trip? I cant wait for summer hiking, sweaty stinky hiking! gotto love it, minus the mosquitos and the posion ivy of course.

Yahtzee
01-20-2010, 13:22
You can expect very cold to summer-like conditions. I took a spring break trip from FAU in Boca and started at Springer in early March. It was 8 degrees. However, I have been in GA in March when it has reached the 70's and been warm as all get out. But I would expect and prepare for cold to very cold in mid-March. You could still hit snow in the Smokies, as well.

ShelterLeopard
01-20-2010, 13:31
I'm prepared for snow, freezing rain and whatever else gets flung at me.

BrianLe
01-20-2010, 13:49
Yahtzee said:

"The Smokies are 72 miles, and i think you tack on a few more to get to the hostel."

I assume that the hostel you're referring to is Standing Bear Farm --- sounds like a good option for picking up at least some sort of food, assuming it's open in ~mid-March. I had been thinking I'd carry enough food to get from Fontana Dam to Hot Springs.

ShelterLeopard
01-20-2010, 13:51
Standing Bear is on my list!

Jester2000
01-20-2010, 14:19

You better hope there aren't any monkeys on the trail again this year

ShelterLeopard
01-20-2010, 14:24
"I hear Tom Wolfe's speaking at Lincoln center... Well of course we're going to fling poo at him!"

Blissful
01-20-2010, 14:30
Yahtzee said:

I assume that the hostel you're referring to is Standing Bear Farm --- sounds like a good option for picking up at least some sort of food, assuming it's open in ~mid-March. I had been thinking I'd carry enough food to get from Fontana Dam to Hot Springs.

I'm sure Curtis will be in full swing then. His food prices are a little steep, but he does offer the service which is nice. He also holds mail drops, another option.

ClassicMagger
01-20-2010, 14:30
In reference to monkeys I'll quote one of my favorites-Dr. Seuss.

BTW- Everyone is going to see in the register my Doctor Seuss quotes, look for the Professional Bum a.k.a. Kevin.

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!"

So bring on the monkeys ;).

-Kevin

Blissful
01-20-2010, 14:34
Most likely, I'll have my filter sent to me in April.

Why? there is no need for the extra weight and you'll be cursing it. Just stay with Aqua mira. The only place you really need to watch sources is Vermont with the Beaver ponds. I did not use Aqua mira in that area

Blissful
01-20-2010, 14:36

Mental is another issue... You are never prepared for that until you are in it.

:)

Just take it one day at a time.

ShelterLeopard
01-20-2010, 14:56
I'm sure Curtis will be in full swing then. His food prices are a little steep, but he does offer the service which is nice. He also holds mail drops, another option.

I'm doing a drop there.

Why? there is no need for the extra weight and you'll be cursing it. Just stay with Aqua mira. The only place you really need to watch sources is Vermont with the Beaver ponds. I did not use Aqua mira in that area

Yet another reason for keeping it at home, because I figure, if I really don't want the extra weight and am fine with the a.m., then I won't get it sent- simple as that! (I love, love, love, my filter. But we'll see.)

I've been in pretty flippin' bad conditions for a week plus before, but you are right blissful! One day at a time.

brian039
01-20-2010, 21:55
Alright then. You masochists just make sure you keep your sleeping bag and clothes and anything else you want to keep dry in a plastic bag so they don't get wet. Don't depend on a pack-cover to keep your stuff dry. I'm really starting to sound like my dad.

ShelterLeopard
01-20-2010, 23:43
I'm a dry gear NUTCASE. All of my storage bags are ORHydroseal dry comp sacks, completely waterproof. My foodbag is sea to summit, extremely light, extremely waterproof. I am a bit obsessive about keeping my gear dry.

ShelterLeopard
02-01-2010, 11:15
It is FEBRUARY!!!!

Are you all ready to go?

10-K
02-01-2010, 11:30

For sure... it's one thing to be ready to go while I'm in the warmth of my own home. Something else entirely to be out in it.

And there's some kind of memory malfunction that makes the last time you went out in bad weather seem like it wasn't so bad after the fact. When I was hiking through GSMNP during a snowstorm I told myself if I ever got out of that I'd never hike in bad weather again. I've hiked in worse weather twice since then and both times I said the same thing... "never again". I should amend that to, "never again until next time". :)

whistle dixie
02-01-2010, 12:01
leaving feb 21
don't know if i'm fully ready in gear but i am mentally.

good luck everyone and god bless.

littlewalnut
02-01-2010, 12:52
back in the states adjusing to the cold it not as bad as it was in my mind. i hit the trail in 5 days:)

ShelterLeopard
02-01-2010, 12:58
What happened to my last post? (In which I counted down days and wished walnut luck)

Hobbot
02-01-2010, 13:34
What happened to my last post? (In which I counted down days and wished walnut luck)

Haha, it's in the other thread on the Thru-Hiker Specific Forum ;)

ShelterLeopard
02-01-2010, 13:55
Wait, how'd that happen? (I need to get more sleep!)

ShelterLeopard
02-01-2010, 13:57
Whoops- I see what happened now. These threads are becoming darn similar!

littlewalnut
02-01-2010, 14:12
Whoops- I see what happened now. These threads are becoming darn similar!

i know mabe a merger, thay are about one and the same about now!!

dgaf169
02-01-2010, 14:18
Headed down to GA in 11 days.....can't believe its already here!!!

Lillianp
02-01-2010, 14:21
It's february! I'm scared, nervous, anxious and SO EXCITED. Of course, I have to actually get around to planning the 3-4 maildrops I'm making...Buh. (I'm thinking Fontana Dam, somewhere I can't remember at the moment, and one or two in Maine.) And figuring out where I'm sending my bounce box. Hiawassee first, I think. Perhaps I really need to get on the technical aspect of planning... I'm such a procrastinator!

whistle dixie
02-01-2010, 15:34
a few more weeks and i'll be cold tired and happy as a fat boy with a biscuit

Cocoon
02-01-2010, 15:41
I'm almost ready. I posted before in this thread that there was about a 50% chance I'd start in February. Since I put in my notice at work last week it looks like my chances of starting in February are much better. I did tell them I'd work until the end of February if they couldn't find a replacement but surely they will find one before then. I have all my gear. As soon as they train a replacement I'll be throwing it in the car and driving to Springer. I'm getting impatient.

takethisbread
02-01-2010, 15:57
12 days to go

ShelterLeopard
02-01-2010, 16:16
Digger, where are you starting?

Turtle Feet
02-01-2010, 17:16
For sure... it's one thing to be ready to go while I'm in the warmth of my own home. Something else entirely to be out in it.

And there's some kind of memory malfunction that makes the last time you went out in bad weather seem like it wasn't so bad after the fact. When I was hiking through GSMNP during a snowstorm I told myself if I ever got out of that I'd never hike in bad weather again. I've hiked in worse weather twice since then and both times I said the same thing... "never again". I should amend that to, "never again until next time". :)

...yeah, childbirth's alot like that too...

takethisbread
02-01-2010, 17:19
Digger, where are you starting?

Well I I am starting in georgia. Super pumped maybe we'll see you.

ShelterLeopard
02-01-2010, 17:21
Really? I thought you were doing something different- like starting at HF, going south, and flipping back up. Maybe I'll see you! (Though, you're definitely a faster hiker than I am)

Slo-go'en
02-01-2010, 18:44
Well, good luck to ya all. Sure hope it warms up a little and some of the snow and ice goes away for you over the next couple of weeks.

Keep us posted when you can. Let us know how it is out there and how well your doing. Georgia should be fine, its NC where things will get interesting.

The Solemates
02-01-2010, 21:40
We started 6 years ago today. Fun times. :banana

schraderdc
02-01-2010, 22:22
Best of luck February hikers....looks like I picked a good day to start

http://www.dryday.com/30-day-forecast.aspx?s=%2f30+day+weather%2fUnited+States% 2fGeorgia%2fDahlonega%2f

For you March hikers, wave as you pass me, I will be the short fat bald man who looks confused

AggieAl
02-01-2010, 23:37
I had a slight change of plans and will now be at the Hiker Hostel on February 20th and starting north on the 21st. Good luck to everyone and I look forward to meeting many of you on the trail.

The advice on White Blaze has been very helpful.

Thanks to all and pray for good weather.

Al

SurferNerd
02-02-2010, 15:11
I'm leaving NoBo on Feb 28th. Kinda not really a Feb leave, but its still technically February..

ShelterLeopard
02-02-2010, 19:59
Close enough! :)

sasquatch2014
02-02-2010, 20:44
Shlep and digger keep me posted as to how you are doing I may be able to run away from home for a bit in march and might try and get down to where you are. who knows If I piss off my wife enough she may kick my ass to the trail by then. :D We missed you Shelp at the Pa Ruck was a good time and a great hike down.

EDexter
02-02-2010, 21:26
Should be on the trail February 22nd.

ShelterLeopard
02-02-2010, 22:45
Shlep and digger keep me posted as to how you are doing I may be able to run away from home for a bit in march and might try and get down to where you are. who knows If I piss off my wife enough she may kick my ass to the trail by then. :D We missed you Shelp at the Pa Ruck was a good time and a great hike down.

Thanks Sasquatch- will definitely let you know how I'm doing. (And I wish I could've gone to the Ruck- I was reading the thread, and was definitely jealous!) And I'm planning to give you a call when I'm in NY area!

sasquatch2014
02-02-2010, 22:51
Thanks Sasquatch- will definitely let you know how I'm doing. (And I wish I could've gone to the Ruck- I was reading the thread, and was definitely jealous!) And I'm planning to give you a call when I'm in NY area!

You missed Digger making breakfast in bed for 5 down at the Campiste. He came over and shook my hammock and said "You will want to wake up for this" nvere mind that it was only 8:30 am and I had not gone to bed until 4:00am. when a hand comes into my hammock with a Hot Bacon Egg and Cheese sandwich on a toasted hard roll I am up!:banana

You were missed.

Shovelhead
02-02-2010, 22:54
I'm not able to leave till 4/1, But have a great trip you'll be way to far ahead to catch up to.

pjbarr
02-03-2010, 01:18
i've moved my departure back from feb. to march 8th or 9th.

ShelterLeopard
02-03-2010, 11:17
You missed Digger making breakfast in bed for 5 down at the Campiste. He came over and shook my hammock and said "You will want to wake up for this" nvere mind that it was only 8:30 am and I had not gone to bed until 4:00am. when a hand comes into my hammock with a Hot Bacon Egg and Cheese sandwich on a toasted hard roll I am up!:banana

You were missed.

Thanks Sasquatch! (If only I'd known about the breakfast sandwiches... :D )

takethisbread
02-07-2010, 12:13
I don't know how many of you are following the hikers out there but it isn't pretty.
People dropping out, weather has bothered most, injuries. Ect

The journals reflect some tough starts. I think the key is don't start in feb unless
You can handle the cold and the solitude.

It's been sobering for sure.

Digger

Turtle Feet
02-07-2010, 12:58
I don't know how many of you are following the hikers out there but it isn't pretty.

The journals reflect some tough starts. I think the key is don't start in feb unless

Digger

Digger - where do you find the journals? I'd love to read some.

BTW, good luck with your ankle!

Grinder
02-07-2010, 12:58
shlep

I was just at Trail Journals and couldn't find yours. I looked for "shlep" and "shelter leopard" and found nothing

What's up with that? You're not planning on keeping an on line journal??

takethisbread
02-07-2010, 13:11
Digger - where do you find the journals? I'd love to read some.

BTW, good luck with your ankle!

Trailjournals.com you can follow people there.

I will not start posting till Feb 13/14

BrianLe
02-07-2010, 14:45
I've found thus far the best "journal" has been the audio ones left by Chef Rich at Trailphone.net (http://trailphone.net/) He's in Franklin now (about NOBO mile 104), hanging around there to watch the superbowl.

What I'd be particularly interested in is any reliable first hand reports by folks making it through the Smokies.

Tinker
02-07-2010, 14:57
i've moved my departure back from feb. to march 8th or 9th.
Smart.
VERY smart! :)

Praha4
02-07-2010, 15:51
where are the online journals of current thru hikers who have already started?

Tinker
02-07-2010, 16:02
Here it is:
http://www.trailjournals.com/journals_type.cfm?status=3

4shot
02-07-2010, 18:20

Digger

have the chance to rest/rehab and make another NOBO attempt this year (depending of course on the nature of the injury). I don't mind admitting that being out there now with this kind of relentless cold/snow would be extremely difficult for me and I have the utmost respect for those who are out there and pushing on.

ShelterLeopard
02-07-2010, 23:18
shlep

I was just at Trail Journals and couldn't find yours. I looked for "shlep" and "shelter leopard" and found nothing

What's up with that? You're not planning on keeping an on line journal??

Nope, I'm not. Sorry, but I don't want to have the hastle. I have a facebook page, and everytime I call home, my mother'll post the town I've just passed, but not much else. Considered a journal, but I don't think I'll do it. Shlep

sasquatch2014
02-08-2010, 08:22
Nope, I'm not. Sorry, but I don't want to have the hastle. I have a facebook page, and everytime I call home, my mother'll post the town I've just passed, but not much else. Considered a journal, but I don't think I'll do it. Shlep

I know that there maybe a few of us that will be willing to do an "unofficial" journal. That is all I have to say about that...

Your starting shortly before the Billville right? I see the potential for a great group project in the works.

Lillianp
02-08-2010, 10:47
Shlep-you speak my mind. I have a trail journal, but I'm fairly positive I'll be one of those who updates sporadically in random trail towns along the way and won't bother to chronicle every day.

ShelterLeopard
02-08-2010, 10:56
I know that there maybe a few of us that will be willing to do an "unofficial" journal. That is all I have to say about that...

Your starting shortly before the Billville right? I see the potential for a great group project in the works.

One week before the warmer, yep! :)

11 DAYS LEFT!!!!!!!!!!! That sound was my head hitting the corner of my desk, as I fainted... (Very excited)

Wow. Car is repaired, oil changed, new glasses have been acquired, food drops for the first month are ready to go, all gear is waiting to be packed (yet again- I was unpacking and repacking a lot for a while there...), all is to wash my car, wash my floor, and a loaf of bread and some cheese for the train, and I am SET!

You 'bout you lillian- in shock???

white_russian
02-08-2010, 11:03
Have you considered twitter? It is pretty hassle free to send a text message.

takethisbread
02-08-2010, 11:33
Have you considered twitter? It is pretty hassle free to send a text message.

I use twitter as well. Real easy on my phone application. My handle is "takethisbread"

4 days to go!

ShelterLeopard
02-08-2010, 11:39
Nah, I've already gotten the facebook page up and running, and I have no idea how to use twitter (and I don't want to learn, either). But maybe I'll do something on here, update my "location" every time I reach a town and actually get to a computer there...

ShelterLeopard
02-08-2010, 11:49
You know, maybe I will make a trailjournal account. But don't be surprised if it doesn't get updated often. (I may have someone from home update it when I call)

takethisbread
02-08-2010, 11:49
Nah, I've already gotten the facebook page up and running, and I have no idea how to use twitter (and I don't want to learn, either). But maybe I'll do something on here, update my "location" every time I reach a town and actually get to a computer there...

Twitter is just texting.

You click on the twitter icon.
It opens.
You text.

That's it and the whole world sees it.

I do it while going up a mountain.

See ya shlep! Good luck, and I will look you up, when I finish, I am going to do my truck thing at trail heads, a little magic in the night as the Boss might say, and I will see where you are.

4 days all you cats, my ankle feels like shoot but we will get there

Lillianp
02-08-2010, 12:00
One week before the warmer, yep! :)

11 DAYS LEFT!!!!!!!!!!! That sound was my head hitting the corner of my desk, as I fainted... (Very excited)

Wow. Car is repaired, oil changed, new glasses have been acquired, food drops for the first month are ready to go, all gear is waiting to be packed (yet again- I was unpacking and repacking a lot for a while there...), all is to wash my car, wash my floor, and a loaf of bread and some cheese for the train, and I am SET!

You 'bout you lillian- in shock???

Not shock-but I was awake for an hour longer than I wanted to be last night, worrying. I'll be in shock on the train and the first day or two of the trail! Car has been repaired for 10 bucks (Real repair is 700 blegh), Have to organize 2 maildrops-will do them when I don't have to work for a week, gear is strewn all over the back room, waiting to be packed, washed my car but may wash it again, oil change, food for train and first 3-4 days. Taxes. (I should do that today)
As for twitter-I DO use it, but as I won't have my phone on while hiking and will only turn it on to call home every several days or perhaps call for a shuttle, I'll only twitter here and there... And won't be able to see responses. :-\

ShelterLeopard
02-08-2010, 12:22
Arp- caved and got a TJ, under ShelterLeopard (no space betweek the two words), I doubt I'll update it often...

ShelterLeopard
02-08-2010, 12:22
Seeya digger, good luck!

SurferNerd
02-08-2010, 18:24
Seeya digger, good luck!

Got me 20 days left to go. I got my blog updated and public today.
http://athiker2010.blogspot.com

Look forward to reading about ya in the Shelter Logs. Don't forget a pencil

ShelterLeopard
02-08-2010, 21:01
I'll leave messages for those behind me!

sasquatch2014
02-08-2010, 21:53
I will be disappointed if Digger does not leave obnoxious messages for you as he should be ahead of you. Hell for that matter I'll leave messages for you in the PA shelter logs on my way to the warmer. Depending on how much of my stove fuel I have drunk they may not be PG in nature. You can yell at me about it when you get to NY.

ShelterLeopard
02-09-2010, 11:48
Look forward to it, and will do, Sasquatch! :D

And I'll be disappointed if Digger doesn't leave me obnoxious messages too! (Digger, you have to leave crazy stuff! Non obnoxious messages are good too. :p )

Thrasher
02-09-2010, 18:30
Well, I'm leaving in 4 days. Only have 2 days of work left and 1 day to scramble around, clean the house, and get ready to leave. Fixed my car again for $13. Still have to figure out where to send a few mail drops for maps. The weather forecast isn't looking too bad either. My wife was even given a money tree at work yesterday, but I don't think it will grow back after we pick it.

Cedar Tree
02-10-2010, 11:26
I've been following the weather closely in GA and it looks like a nice little break starting tomorrow. I am planning to be at Springer around 11:00 am Sat. morning the 13th. That will be exactly 10 years from the starting date of my first hike.
Cedar Tree

Symbol
02-10-2010, 12:05
I'll leave messages for those behind me!

We will be looking for them too!

ShLep, good luck to you. I know you must be getting very excited. Glad to see you caved on the trail journal. I am sure lots of us will want to read of your trip there.

Lillianp
02-11-2010, 11:42
I may be pushing my hike back to Feb 27th or so. I have to call amtrak and ask. I'm hoping the 5 days helps the weather! Or maybe, I'm just a weenie. I still haven't made the decision.

Cakon
02-11-2010, 11:57
I may be pushing my hike back to Feb 27th or so. I have to call amtrak and ask. I'm hoping the 5 days helps the weather! Or maybe, I'm just a weenie. I still haven't made the decision.

I am planning on a 23rd start. I am concerned about the weather but it is not going to stop me. I have my snow gear sitting in a box at home if I need it-Gaiters, yak trax, snow shoes, free standing tent, extra sleeping pad. I don't care about milage, I need to hike it is the only cure for my case of trail fever.

12 days till Springer!!!

Turtle Feet
02-11-2010, 12:09
Trailphone.net is a way to keep a journal if you're bringing a phone. 877# and as long as you get a signal, you just call in your 'journal post'.

I'm listening to "Chef Rick" now, he's north of Franklin - running into alot of snow.

Sorry it's been such a sucky Feb. for you guys. I'll be sending warm weather wishes for all of you!

Lillianp
02-11-2010, 12:22
I am planning on a 23rd start. I am concerned about the weather but it is not going to stop me. I have my snow gear sitting in a box at home if I need it-Gaiters, yak trax, snow shoes, free standing tent, extra sleeping pad. I don't care about milage, I need to hike it is the only cure for my case of trail fever.

12 days till Springer!!!
I might cave and get yaktrax, but I don't do snowshoes. (I own a pair, but they slip off every 100 feet or so...so useless for me.)

Chaco Taco
02-11-2010, 12:43
Good Luck all. The weather is looking good once you get past Monday. 50's up here and some sun. Yes I said SUN!!!! Anyway, we will see many of you in a few weeks "somewhere" along the trail;)

Good luck everyone! Have fun!

sasquatch2014
02-11-2010, 13:18
I might cave and get yaktrax, but I don't do snowshoes. (I own a pair, but they slip off every 100 feet or so...so useless for me.)

Don't waste the money if you are going for grip get the Micro Spikes much better.

Cakon
02-11-2010, 13:48
I had Micro Spikes first and kept loosing the spikes. Has anyone else had this problem? The Yak Trax do slip off from time to time but on the ice Vibram soles are like skates. I only wear them if it is really icy because they can by annoying. The Micro Spikes do fit better and when the spikes aren't falling off perform better than the Yak's but the Yak's don't break so I wear the Yak's.

BrianLe
02-11-2010, 14:10
My pair of YakTrax pro weigh 5.2 oz (I'm not sure which size I have, I might be stretching a pair of mediums to barely fit ...), whereas for my size 11 - 11.5 shoes Kahtoola Microspikes need a size large, listed at 14.7 oz.

I'm only concerned here about ice, not snow, and Yaktrax advertize that their approach "places hundreds of biting edges in direct contact with the ice beneath your feet".

I accept that microspikes are better in many conditions, and I have personally seen Yaktrax left behind in snow as they presumeably fell off of someones feet. But for use in ice ONLY, I'm thinking I might bring along the Yaktrax, mail them home at some point, but wear them if there's actual ice to deal with.

For snow I doubt I'll have a ton of problems; slushy snow going steep up or down hill could of course suck, but I'm not sure how much more good microspikes would do over the deep lugs in my trail runners anyway. Bottom line is that this would be 5.2 oz of insurance in case of extensive stretches of actual ice (which the deep lugs on those same trail runners do pretty poorly on).

Hobbot
02-11-2010, 14:14

Amtrak is usually pretty good about switching tickets if that is the way you want to go.

sasquatch2014
02-11-2010, 15:01
My pair of YakTrax pro weigh 5.2 oz (I'm not sure which size I have, I might be stretching a pair of mediums to barely fit ...), whereas for my size 11 - 11.5 shoes Kahtoola Microspikes need a size large, listed at 14.7 oz.

I'm only concerned here about ice, not snow, and Yaktrax advertize that their approach "places hundreds of biting edges in direct contact with the ice beneath your feet".

I accept that microspikes are better in many conditions, and I have personally seen Yaktrax left behind in snow as they presumeably fell off of someones feet. But for use in ice ONLY, I'm thinking I might bring along the Yaktrax, mail them home at some point, but wear them if there's actual ice to deal with.

For snow I doubt I'll have a ton of problems; slushy snow going steep up or down hill could of course suck, but I'm not sure how much more good microspikes would do over the deep lugs in my trail runners anyway. Bottom line is that this would be 5.2 oz of insurance in case of extensive stretches of actual ice (which the deep lugs on those same trail runners do pretty poorly on).

The yaks work well in snow but didn't do squat for me in real ice. It's really about the bite and the few points of the spikes with your weight get more bit than the larger footprint of the yaks. I went out last Jan in Harriman SP from the Thruway over to Palisades and was having to walk in the brush all the time just to get some purchase with the yaks. That trip is what made me change. In other trips where there was snow even packed snow the yaks worked fine but if we are talking seeps that have frozen solid and you have to cross I'd carry the extra weight.

Thrasher
02-11-2010, 18:25
I've been following the weather closely in GA and it looks like a nice little break starting tomorrow. I am planning to be at Springer around 11:00 am Sat. morning the 13th. That will be exactly 10 years from the starting date of my first hike.
Cedar Tree

Hey Cedar Tree, I'm sure I'll meet you sometime soon. I'm planning on being on Springer Saturday morning as well. The weather is looking good after this possible snow here tomorrow.
Only 2 days left to go.

sasquatch2014
02-11-2010, 20:31
Just spoke to Takethisbreak aka digger and he was in transit. He had left the island and was in Boston getting ready for his flight.

Cedar Tree
02-11-2010, 21:25
Hey Thrasher, no doubt we'll meet somewhere. I'm leaving tomorrow from VA and staying tomorrow night with my son-in-law in Flowery Branch. Weather looks good for Sat. I look forward to meeting you.
Cedar Tree
AT2K10

Hey Cedar Tree, I'm sure I'll meet you sometime soon. I'm planning on being on Springer Saturday morning as well. The weather is looking good after this possible snow here tomorrow.
Only 2 days left to go.

Thrasher
02-14-2010, 00:27
Well I didn't start today because I was up all night thursday throwing up and recovering friday and today. Sooo I am planning on leaving tomorrow. Thanks whiteblaze, hopefully I'll make it to Maine.

whistle dixie
02-14-2010, 04:20
7 more days for me cant wait.

__________________________________________________ ________________________

hell i aignt got nothin better to do

Symbol
02-14-2010, 09:14
Hey Thrasher, no doubt we'll meet somewhere. I'm leaving tomorrow from VA and staying tomorrow night with my son-in-law in Flowery Branch. Weather looks good for Sat. I look forward to meeting you.
Cedar Tree
AT2K10

Well I didn't start today because I was up all night thursday throwing up and recovering friday and today. Sooo I am planning on leaving tomorrow. Thanks whiteblaze, hopefully I'll make it to Maine.

7 more days for me cant wait.

__________________________________________________ ________________________

hell i aignt got nothin better to do

Best of luck to you.

Lemni Skate
02-14-2010, 09:37
Lot's of snow on the trail. Take your snowshoes.

ShelterLeopard
02-16-2010, 11:16
THREE DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How the HECK did THAT HAPPEN???????

Side note: is anyone bringing snowshoes? I may bring children's snowshoes. They're lighter, smaller, get the job done, and my own snowshoes are wooden and two feet long...

Lillianp
02-16-2010, 11:20
Shlep-I'm not, as mine fall off my feet every 20 feet or so. Seriously. I know I'm doing something wrong...but I don't know what!