PDA

View Full Version : Ngc Alone In The Wild Tonigt

Wise Old Owl
09-30-2009, 14:12
National Geographic 9pm Eastern

Unknown person videotapes his own starvation for 50 days in the wilderness.

Just a heads up = I have no idea if its good.

Father Dragon
09-30-2009, 16:32
come on at 5 here in VA
thanks for the heads up!

Pedaling Fool
09-30-2009, 17:23
come on at 5 here in VA
thanks for the heads up!
Same here in Jax , Fl

Pedaling Fool
09-30-2009, 17:24
Same here in Jax , Fl
But it is back on at 9pm

Big Dawg
09-30-2009, 18:38
National Geographic 9pm Eastern

Unknown person videotapes his own starvation for 50 days in the wilderness.

Just a heads up = I have no idea if its good.

Watched the first show the other day... first 10 days or so of his adventure. Seems kinda like a Survivorman show, but for several months.

Father Dragon
09-30-2009, 19:23
I don't know if it is for teh drama, but the guy is kind of skittish isn't he?

Skidsteer
09-30-2009, 19:30
I don't know if it is for teh drama, but the guy is kind of skittish isn't he?

Skittish?

Is he wearing an ankle length kilt or something?

Phreak
09-30-2009, 19:34
Skittish?

Is he wearing an ankle length kilt or something?
Is this the same show where the guy has a battery-operated electric fence wires running around the perimeter of his hammock?

Father Dragon
09-30-2009, 19:40
Is this the same show where the guy has a battery-operated electric fence wires running around the perimeter of his hammock?

yes, skittish :-? very skittish

Wise Old Owl
09-30-2009, 20:20
wow a few "survivor" enthusisast...

Suddenly I feel among Friends!

Manwich
09-30-2009, 21:14
I'm watching it as we speak.

I Love going "Oh Look at that he's doing it all wrong" and my wife going "yeah, you keep telling me x y z all the time"

His pack must weigh 50 lbs. He's got a cast iron pot, 2 guns, gps, Fishing Equipment (with tackle box), Camera Tripod,

Wise Old Owl
09-30-2009, 21:14
What 2 guns? 80 lbs pack - 15 pounds of rice /potato? and bush wackin no less...with combat boots.

Whats wrong with this video?

3/4 axe- 3lbs!

oh crap an electric bear fence.......how much does that weigh? 2.5 lbs.....

I got it - He forgot the burro!

Manwich
09-30-2009, 21:15
"If its a grizzly bear, i just gotta cover up my neck and play dead. But if it's a black bear, im gonna have to fight for my life."

Manwich
09-30-2009, 21:21
Candypants: "Why don't you have an electrified bear fence?"
Me: "I'm not a scottish nancypants"

Manwich
09-30-2009, 21:25
Okay I know I'm posting a ton in one thread and talking to myself but this is fun.

He's hanging out around Dogpack Lake in Yukon. (61.6951,-139.2040)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=61.695176704,+-139.204034414&sll=61.774422,-139.21463&sspn=0.292918,1.18927&ie=UTF8&ll=61.700047,-139.196777&spn=0.036703,0.148659&t=p&z=13

This is on National Geographic right now fellas. Join in, it's fun to point.

Father Dragon
09-30-2009, 21:35
Man he's really freaking, I thought the first rule of survival was keeping your head? How did this guy climb Everest?

Father Dragon
09-30-2009, 21:38
How bout that bear hang!

Slimer
09-30-2009, 21:40
Could it be Tipi Walter?

Manwich
09-30-2009, 21:41
Bear hang? I thought he was making a deadfall with his 15lbs of grains as bait.

"Oh crap, was that a bear?" ::be absolutely quiet:: "HELLO?"

Wise Old Owl
09-30-2009, 21:42
No Tipi Walter would have this Londoner guy for lunch!

Manwich
09-30-2009, 21:44
http://mainehuntingtoday.com/bbb/2009/08/26/ed-wardle-abandons-wilderness-adventure/

Apparently, due to concerns over his health, he quit early.

Wise Old Owl
09-30-2009, 21:48
HH without seam seal hahaha. its 6x?

Manwich
09-30-2009, 21:50
apparently his heart rate became 30bpm...

Lance Armstrong would be jealous.

Now I know why I like this guy. If he can make it, so can I.

Wise Old Owl
09-30-2009, 22:09
I really wonder about his fishing skills? 5 snares and no bait? I really wonder.....

What the hell was he thinking and why didn't he have it more together... Five miles in 1 & 1/2 days?

Wise Old Owl
10-01-2009, 21:44
Dumb show.... No beginning... heavy on the edit.... No End . No problem.....

Wise Old Owl
10-03-2009, 23:50
I really wonder about his fishing skills? 5 snares and no bait? I really wonder.....

What the hell was he thinking and why didn't he have it more together... Five miles in 1 & 1/2 days?

Ok I went back after the show and burned it to DVD and I am stumped, he set 20 snares without baiting, I checked it on the snare website and he should have posted some peanut butter in front of the snares.

2nd - what was with all those heavy pots? Axe, 1 rifle, 1 shotgun. 2-3 1lbs cameras.

Skills - each move he made a huge leantoo while he had a tarp, waisting valuble energy and calories when he should have been fishing, hunting 2 guns and he shoots & misses a squirrel (no wonder we won the revolution)

Does anyone know if there are sequels to this?

Captn
10-04-2009, 09:15
I guess they rescued him near starvation.

Survivor man carries a 65 lb pack with just his camera gear.

Let's review his gear choices:

Cast Iron Dutch Oven
Stainless Steel Water Kettle?
Shotgun
Shotgun shells
Rifle with scope
Rifle shells
Hammock (This one is actually almost smart if you ask me)
Tarp
Sleeping bag
3/4 axe
Camera Gear
Extra batteries
Fishing outfit
tackle box
combat boots
rope
bear bagging equipment
emergency locator beacon
radio or sat phone? ( he had a twitter feed)
extra batteries for phone
Electric bear fence
Extra batteries for fence
Snares
Rice and Oatmeal for food
Alpine lowe pack?
Map
compass or GPS?

What am I missing?

I'm guessing that this was well OVER 80 lbs.

Halfway through the first show he's wishing he would fall down and break an ankle so he can call it quits.

Wise Old Owl
10-04-2009, 10:28
And the bag of rice & potato was over 9lbs, might have been 15

Good list Capt! HE blew it-I am still looking for a good explaination, or website that he might make some notes in... love to PM him.

Father Dragon
10-04-2009, 19:54
Yeah I agree that building that lean to when he had a hammock set up was sort of a ridiculous waste of energy. Using an ax to cut down trees takes up a lot of calories.

Reid
10-04-2009, 19:58
He wasn't long distance hiking though he was trying to survive in Alaska for 3 months. I'd have a huge pack and all the amenities I could bring too.

Captn
10-04-2009, 20:09
Yeah I agree that building that lean to when he had a hammock set up was sort of a ridiculous waste of energy. Using an ax to cut down trees takes up a lot of calories.

Hauling around a bunch of iron in your massive pack kinda takes up a lot of energy too.

He's an "accomplished outdoorsman"?

No bait on his snares.

Hunting consisted of hanging out in camp and waiting for an animal to blunder through. Dude ... animals don't like the smell of smoke. Keep some of your clothes out of the smoke and find yourself a good tree stand area to hunt from instead of blundering about in the thick underbrush.

Perhaps he should have stuck that electric fence in the water and telegraphed him a few trout, huh? Because he sucks as a fisherman. Fish bite on their schedule, not yours. Figure out the schedule and you have dinner. Fishing in running water with a spinning outfit is a lot more productive than in a crystal clear lake standing on the bank. Duh.

Instead he hikes in the stream and fishes in the lake .... wouldn't have killed him to bring a small gil net being as it's a survival show and all.

Didn't anyone check his references? Oh ... he's got all that experience surviving in the outback of England.

I'm amazed he didn't get himself killed.

Big Dawg
10-04-2009, 21:28
Perhaps he should have stuck that electric fence in the water and telegraphed him a few trout, huh? Because he sucks as a fisherman. Fish bite on their schedule, not yours. Figure out the schedule and you have dinner. Fishing in running water with a spinning outfit is a lot more productive than in a crystal clear lake standing on the bank. Duh.

what happened to his canoe?

Captn
10-04-2009, 23:07
what happened to his canoe?

I didn't see him in a canoe .....

Graywolf
10-04-2009, 23:46
Ahhh Man, I missed another survival show. Dang!!!!!!!

But sounds like I didn't miss much.

Manwich
10-04-2009, 23:52
Hauling around a bunch of iron in your massive pack kinda takes up a lot of energy too.

He's an "accomplished outdoorsman"?

No bait on his snares.

Hunting consisted of hanging out in camp and waiting for an animal to blunder through. Dude ... animals don't like the smell of smoke. Keep some of your clothes out of the smoke and find yourself a good tree stand area to hunt from instead of blundering about in the thick underbrush.

Instead he hikes in the stream and fishes in the lake .... wouldn't have killed him to bring a small gil net being as it's a survival show and all.

Didn't anyone check his references? Oh ... he's got all that experience surviving in the outback of England.

I'm amazed he didn't get himself killed.

agree agree agree agree agree agree agree agree and agree.

I'm amazed NatGeo ignored the whole impact of isolating an individual from all social situations for 3-months. He cracked in 50 days from loneliness, not survival problems (yet.)

I'd imagine after 45 days without people, I'd start welcoming bears. "Hey! Want some woodsmans tea?"

Big Dawg
10-05-2009, 10:08
I didn't see him in a canoe .....

Seems like on the first show I remember him rowing ashore in a canoe. I may be wrong.

Wise Old Owl
10-05-2009, 15:40
The canoe was in the background in one shot, I wondered about that too.

Manwich
10-05-2009, 16:16
The first episode he had a canoe. He was fishing out of it in still water. Had some camera equipment in it. I'll ask him later what happened to the canoe. (I've added him on facebook and have asked him some things, lol)

Spokes
10-05-2009, 16:44
I suspect we'll see 2010 AT Thru Hikers carrying boom cam's on their packs next year?

Captn
10-05-2009, 17:19
I suspect we'll see 2010 AT Thru Hikers carrying boom cam's on their packs next year?

BPL started reviewing helmet cams for filming hiking ...

I mean ... Come on.

Wise Old Owl
10-07-2009, 20:42
Here we go again Nat Geo Code Red - 14 minutes !

The Sequel... to stupid.

~Ronin~
10-08-2009, 10:02
I watched bits and pieces of the "Code red" episode last night. I like the way he carried two guns with him, yet he was still saying "I can't legally shoot those ducks, or that moose. I could survive out here if I could eat those animals, but its not legal season yet." So if you were going to observe hunting laws, what was the point of carrying two guns? If all it takes to get on TV anymore is this guys attempt at "surviving", then I might as well give it a shot too. Don't get me wrong, I'd probably lose it after 50 days too, but I gotta be able to make it that far. Plus, I'm a better fisherman:D.

dmax
10-08-2009, 10:21
I had to stop watching...Too many tears being dropped on this show. It almost made my wife start to cry...:D

Hikerhead
10-08-2009, 12:12
Cried in the woods, cried when he got to a hotel, every time I switched over he was crying. Was there any time that he wasn't crying. He was not the right person to be doing this.

Reid
10-08-2009, 12:40
I had to stop watching...Too many tears being dropped on this show. It almost made my wife start to cry...:D

He was crying the whole show. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt though. I really don't see why he wasn't shooting squirells. There had to be plenty around and they are not bad meat. Taste better than bear or the porcupines he was shooting.

Captn
10-08-2009, 19:26
He was crying the whole show. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt though. I really don't see why he wasn't shooting squirells. There had to be plenty around and they are not bad meat. Taste better than bear or the porcupines he was shooting.

He tried to shoot several with the shotgun and MISSED!

puddingboy
10-08-2009, 19:46
Give this guy a break after 50 days im sure many of you would have called it quits too. But it really shows that survival is all about your mentality.

Ridgeline
10-11-2009, 15:13
The first episode he had a canoe. He was fishing out of it in still water. Had some camera equipment in it. I'll ask him later what happened to the canoe. (I've added him on facebook and have asked him some things, lol)

He had the canoe at the beginning when he was at the small lake...I think it was in the second episode that he left that small lake for the bigger one that was miles away so he could try to catch salmon in the river that empties out of that lake...he had to leave the canoe behind

winger
10-11-2009, 16:28
Psychologically unbalanced, from the beginning...