PDA

View Full Version : Tent spec question (just humor me)

Ladytrekker
09-30-2009, 18:02
In the process of checking out new tents and keep seeing packaged weight etc. then below it there is a fly and footprint weight. My question is the fly and footprint in addition too the packaged weight or included in the packaged weight I cannot seem to get this answered thought I would ask the pros.

I am actually seriously looking at the tarptent rainbow and the msr hubba. I am not a hammock person want a tent.

thanks for any all help.

Manwich
09-30-2009, 18:24
Depends on the site. I think packaged weight is the shipping weight, so "Worst Case Scenario." Packed Weight is the weight combo in your pack.

Just check alternate sites. Specs should all be the same.

toegem
09-30-2009, 18:25
In the process of checking out new tents and keep seeing packaged weight etc. then below it there is a fly and footprint weight. My question is the fly and footprint in addition too the packaged weight or included in the packaged weight I cannot seem to get this answered thought I would ask the pros.

I am actually seriously looking at the tarptent rainbow and the msr hubba. I am not a hammock person want a tent.

thanks for any all help.
I'm not a pro but I'm under the impression that, they are include in the package weight.

There should be three weights
Minimun weight = componets to pitch the tent.
Fast pack weight = fly, footprint and poles
package weight = all tent componets lines, stakes, body, fly and footprint if included in package plus the instructions.

Jester2000
09-30-2009, 18:32
I think what you may be seeing is a weight listed for tents that have a fast fly option, meaning that you can use the fly, poles, and footprint to make a shelter without using the body of the tent. Essentially what they've done is give you the option to use what they've sold you as a tarp as well.

The other specs on weight will include the fly but NOT the footprint.

Individual manufacturers have different definitions of packed weight and what they'll call "minimum weight" or "trail weight," and they should define them on their sites. I've found that minimum or trail weight will include the tent body, fly, and poles, but not the stakes, directions, stuff sack, or the pole repair sleeve that's often included. But check the individual sites to make sure.

The two choices you've listed are both good ones.

Pedaling Fool
09-30-2009, 18:37
Yeah there's really no standard, it's all a play on numbers to make it look as light as possible. http://www.backpacker.com/gear/ask_kristin/181

Note: The fastpack weight cannot be utilized (at least for my tent) unless I buy a footprint -- most if not all footprints are sold separately.

FWIW, I think footprints are useless and a waste of money, unless you do want to set up a tarp on some trips. As for protecting the floor of the tent it's a marketing ploy, IMHO.

Ladytrekker
09-30-2009, 19:18
Yeah there's really no standard, it's all a play on numbers to make it look as light as possible. http://www.backpacker.com/gear/ask_kristin/181

Note: The fastpack weight cannot be utilized (at least for my tent) unless I buy a footprint -- most if not all footprints are sold separately.

FWIW, I think footprints are useless and a waste of money, unless you do want to set up a tarp on some trips. As for protecting the floor of the tent it's a marketing ploy, IMHO.

I think you all nailed it, makes sense now that I read it from ya'll. In this instance I believe the fly does act as a separate shelter so that makes even more sense. I do not use a footprint either and do not plan on carrying one. Hey, I am in Atlantic Beach too.

MintakaCat
09-30-2009, 20:18

Footprints are handy when setting up un a heavy rain. The footprints hold the poles in place while you setup the tarp. Once that's done, you can then setup the tent under the tarp, without the inside of the tent getting wet.

That's how my Hubba Hubba HP works.

apsterbobed
09-30-2009, 21:00
i got a two person rainbow this spring and love the tent, after i set it up a few times and messed around with different methods, it goes up quick and easy. I also glued the seams and it doesn't leak at all, we have been out in a few good lighting and poring rain nights and have stayed nice and dry (as long as you zip the door shut before you fall asleep while watching lighting in the distance).

Franco
09-30-2009, 21:27
Most manufacturers do itemise what is included in each listed weight, however often those weights do not correspond with the one you will get...
Best if you search users reviews and accept a 5% or so discrepancy .
The listed weight for the Rainbow (34 oz) is what you take with you . Add 1 oz or so of silicone (after seam sealing) and possibly 1/2oz for the stuff sack (can't remember if that is included...) .
Franco

Wise Old Owl
09-30-2009, 23:18
that about covers it then you toss the packed cheap aluminum pegs for the titanium, add a few hogs add trip tease to the front enterence.....

Then weigh again.....

tuswm
10-01-2009, 20:43
http://www.o2gearshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?language=en&currency=USD&products_id=4522&CAWELAID=343964242 (http://www.o2gearshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?language=en&currency=USD&products_id=4522&CAWELAID=343964242)
hubba = $179

I just got the double rainbow. Its ALOT bigger then my REI two person tent. Its a big two person tent, you could squeeze 3 in for sure. I didn't think the website was clear about what the 40 oz included. It included tent, stuff sack, long pole, short top pull, steaks n bag. I then seam sealed it and got the tyvak ground cloth. I also got a second stuff sack to split the tent up. carrying everything the carry weight is still less then 3 pounds, not including the trekking pols needed to make it a free standing tent. SO the normal rainbow should be easily under 2.5 with everything.