PDA

View Full Version : Where is southbound location of AT in Daleville, VA area?

Stagger Lee
08-05-2004, 12:32
I am section hiking and was driving on I-81 and decided to locate the southbound access to the trail. I found the northbound access on US 220 North, but didn't have time to locate the southbound access. I could not find any white blazes heading south where the trail comes in from the north. I guess the area I was in is called the "U.S 220/I-81 Interchange Area at Troutville," a very busy and congested area with lots of businesses, so I figure the trail probably follows a southbound road for awhile. If anyone has been through that area recently, I'd appreciate some insight. Thanks, Stagger Lee

Lone Wolf
08-05-2004, 12:39
Across the street from Pizza Hut.

Kerosene
08-05-2004, 20:07
Pretty much right across US-220 from the NOBO access you found (which is next to Pizza Hut), just "west" of the BP gas station. The Trail does not follow the road.

Be careful crossing US-220. The eastbound traffic comes up over a hill pretty fast at times.

FYI, there are two motels at this road crossing, an Econo-Lodge and what used to be a Best Western but I heard that it changed ownership. There are several other hotels on the other side of I-81, perhaps half a mile eastbound on US-220, plus numerous restaurants.

Stagger Lee
08-06-2004, 06:37
Thanks for the info Kerosene -- really appreciate it.

Uncle Wayne
08-06-2004, 08:27
http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/411/size/big/password/0/sort/1/cat/500

I was standing on the entrance, if you will, to the southbound AT looking north when I took this photo. The Best Western (or it was in 2001) and the BP Station (Amoco in 2001) are to my right in this photo.

Hikerhead
08-06-2004, 20:27
There's no parking directly where the trail crosses 220. In Uncle Wayne's picture it appears to be a 2 lane rd but it's actually a very very busy 4 lane highway. There is a park and ride just up the road towards the interstate that you can access the trail from. I was there a few weeks ago and this access trail, it's not marked, was almost impassable from weed growth and from a tree that had fallen across it. It's not maintained for some reason.

Stagger Lee
08-08-2004, 22:38
Thanks to all who replied to my question. I found the southbound trail today thanks to your help. None of the merchants within 50 yds of the trail knew where it was.