PDA

View Full Version : Eureka Spitfire UL

LimpsAlong
09-30-2009, 19:01
I spent Monday night at Woody Gap in my Spitfire UL tent. If you remember the rainstorm they called the "deadly deluge" that killed about 9 folks in Georgia, well, thats the night!
First some background. I wanted a lighter tent that I could possibly tear up and not feel too bad about it, I'm rough on equipment. I settled on the Eureka Spitfire UL ( Ultra light, approx 3.5 lbs for everything) After I got it THEN I read where some folks had problems with the foot poles tearing thru the fly in high winds. I wrote Eureka , Johnson Outdoors actually, I think, and they told me to send the fly in and they would fix the problem by reinforcing the fly. I did and they did. There were several thicknesses of fly material sewn where the tent foot poles contact the fly. It looked good and added about 2 oz to the weight of the fly.
Anyway back to the storm. I went through high winds, heavy,heavy and I mean heavy rain throughout the night. In the morning there was about 2 thimbles full of water in the foot of the tent. Plenty of condensation on the inside of the fly but that is not where the rain got into the tent. The wind blew the rain in under the bottom lip of the fly. I woke up during the night , got my flashlight and saw the fine mist coming in throught the screen.
There was no damage to the fly and no excessive flapping of the fly during the storm.
It's a great tent for the money and it has now proven itself to me.

DaveJohns
09-30-2009, 20:30
nice write-up! I have looked at those, but just havent decided if I like em or not. I am currently using a USGI bivy bag and tarp setup, but have never gotten used to being out in the open like that. I had thought of the Solitaire, but figured it would just be a very yellow version of what I have now. A full size tent is a waste of weight, though, so the Spitfire seems to fit in nicely with what i want to do. Was there sufficient room for pack, shoes, etc in the vestibule, and how well did that gear weather the storm?

Thanks again for the info.

Dave

FritztheCat
09-30-2009, 21:01
Thanks for posting this! I have the same tent and went through a pretty good rain last year. Came out nice and dry. I was still a bit concerned because the rain was straight down and steady. There was no wind whipping around so while I was pleased with how it held up, I still didn't feel it had been properly tested. I am much relieved to read your post.

LimpsAlong
09-30-2009, 22:18
Sorry, no room for a pack unless it's empty and you can set it on it's side. Then theres no room for anything else. I just put the pack cover on it and hung it from a tree. I was able to keep my boots in the vestibule and they stayed nice and dry. I also used my pocket rocket to make coffee the next morning in the vestibule with plenty of room to not burn the fly or myself. You also have room to sit up in the tent. Because the tent comes to a point in the front (head) there is room there also for flashlights, clothes, pistol or whatever.
Once again I hated hiking the first day in the rain but am glad I got to test the Spitfire out the first time I used it.

daddytwosticks
10-01-2009, 07:43
I have the original Spitfire Solo (non-UL), the one with the two hoops. Nice shelter. If you ditch the heavy steel stakes and excesive stuff sacks, you can get the weight down to 3 pounds on the nose with a very light plastic footprint. :)

tammons
10-01-2009, 09:01
(3.5 lbs for everything)

You sure your tent weighs 3.5# ?? I have a normal spitfire replaced the steel stakes with titanium stakes, bagged it in a Cuben bag and it weighs about 2#14oz.

grayfox
10-01-2009, 16:49
Thanks for the gear testing review LimpsAlong. I try to pack for the worst conditions I'm likely to encounter but hardly ever get to test in such extreme conditions.

I have two Spitfires. I liked the regular nylon one so much that when they started making the sil version I bought that too thinking that it would be lighter. I exchanged the stakes for ti and added a light plastic footprint to each. Oddly, they both weigh 2lbs. 13oz in dry packed weight. When wet though, I think that the sil version is lighter. I carry the poles separatly either outside or in depending on which pack I am carrying. The clean dry tent body goes inside the top cover and the wet fly goes in a net bag or pocket on the outside of my pack.

The newest version does not seem to have the vestibule area which protects my pack and muddy boots and keeps rain from falling directly into the tent when I go in and out.

My favorite design feature is the small zipper that allows access to prop the vent open. I just leave it open so the bugs can leave. Even mosquitoes will fly out and not find their way back in.

When I think I need a tent instead of my tarp, the Spitfire is the one I use. I can sit up and have lots of space. My small candle lantern, which I use in the vestibule to warm water in my ti cup, helps to dry condensation. I think the tent would work well for anyone who is not very tall.

DaveJohns
10-01-2009, 19:27
I think the tent would work well for anyone who is not very tall.

Thats where I am getting worried about it. I am 6'2", most of the time I wind up sleeping with my arms over my head, even in really cold weather. So I am at the cross-purposes of getting something big enough, AND lightweight.

Hmmph.

FritztheCat
10-01-2009, 19:37
Dave, I'm 6'0 and have plenty of room. I'm a stomach sleeper and like to have my arms (at least one) extended. There's no room for the pack though. :(

DaveJohns
10-01-2009, 19:41
Dave, I'm 6'0 and have plenty of room. I'm a stomach sleeper and like to have my arms (at least one) extended. There's no room for the pack though. :(

Awesome, thanks for that. As for the pack, it isnt that big of an issue. Thats what the garbage sacks are for. :)

tammons
10-01-2009, 20:25
I am 6-3 and I fit, barely.
I can sit up fine.
Its a good solid tent. Cant beat the price.
It does need a tiny vestibule on the zip side though.
Just 12"-18" would do.

Chaco Taco
10-01-2009, 21:39
I started with this tent last year and it is the most worthless piece of junk. First night, snow, foot of my bag was soaked. Second night rain, soaked. Condensation. I know I set it up right. The rainfly doesnt come all the way down and wind blows water right up. I threw mine in the trash at Fontana!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::m ad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::m ad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

DaveJohns
10-01-2009, 23:01
I threw mine in the trash at Fontana!:mad:

bummer. I woulda give ya $40 for it right now. :D

daddytwosticks
10-02-2009, 07:34
To each, his/her own. The regular Spitfire solo works well for me at 6 foot with a 6' 6" long sleeping bag. Dry and snug. I will admit to NOT going through a howler of a storm yet...:)

copperjohn
02-15-2010, 22:01
Has anyone had any experience with the Backcountry 1 made by Eureka? I'm not too concerned with the fact it doesn't have a vestibule because there is plenty of length to store your pack inside, and if it's raining I can go without cooking.

I'm more concerned with the durability, waterproofness, condensation, etc.

K2
02-15-2010, 23:40
Thanks, I just purchased a Spitfire1. Thank you for the heads up regarding the fly. ~K2~