PDA

View Full Version : Section hike in SE

grrickar
08-05-2004, 22:37
Looking to section hike in October for about 10-14 days, putting about 10 miles a day behind me. This will be my first AT hike. What would you guys recommend?

bobgessner57
08-05-2004, 23:31
Hot Springs to Fontana or Nantahala River depending on time. Great scenery, Smokies should not be so crowded as in spring and summer and temps should be cool to chilly at the higher elevations. H.S to Fontana about 107 miles, another 30 to Wesser.

Erwin to Damascus or on up to Grayson Highlands (Mt. Rogers). Takes in the Roan high country and a lot of other great scenery. Erwin to Damascus, approximately 115 miles, another 35 to Grayson Highlands.

Groucho
08-05-2004, 23:33
Looking to section hike in October for about 10-14 days, putting about 10 miles a day behind me. This will be my first AT hike. What would you guys recommend?

Middle of Oct. Carvers Gap to VA 603. in Mt. Rogers NRA ~122 mi.

Any 100+ mile trip would be good.

smokymtnsteve
08-05-2004, 23:40
good recommendation!!

with two good "get of the trail points"

plus walking southbound into fontana in the late fall is something most thru-hikers never see. dropping off the top of clingmans where it will be winter (be prepared for snow) into Fontana Basin where there will still be some color. the fontana resort will still give you hiker rate and they have a sauna and there ain't nothing like coming off the top of ole smokie in cool weather and hitting fontana...i love it. (weekends in the smokies could be crowded and remember to get your smokies permit in Hot Springs)

if you still got time and can get away from fontana..it's about 3 more days south to nantahala..Rivers Edge restaurant should be open.

Kerosene
08-06-2004, 08:47
I did the Buena Vista to Catawba section (118 miles) around Roanoke starting last October 18 and hit some great color. The views made this one of my all-time favorite sections (but I have yet to do Fontana north to Catawba). Here is a link (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2957) to my trip report with embedded links to photos if you're interested.

grrickar
08-07-2004, 16:30
Thanks for the recommendations guys! I kayak the Nantahala whenever I find the time so I know that area somewhat, and I have no doubt it will be great scenery in the fall. As far as GSMNP, do they allow tent camping or do you have to stay in shelters?

TakeABreak
08-16-2004, 19:07
As for a 100 miles any section would be a good choice.

As for tent camping, you must tent in designated area's. at shelters or tent sites. try their website or the companion guide for specific rules.

Deerleg
08-16-2004, 20:11
My 1st real At experince was from just North of Burks Garden to Damascus, about 100 miles gose over Mt Rogers very beautiful. It made an impression. I have not stoped sense.
Have fun were ever you go! :)