PDA

View Full Version : tarp tent q's

cwayman1
10-02-2009, 00:31
Ok,

So I know that with most single-walled tents (sil tents) condensation can... and has... been a BIG problem. With the ventilation all around the sides of it, does the TarpTent run into similar problems? I know everyone sleeps differently, but what seems to be the general consensus?

thanks!

FamilyGuy
10-02-2009, 01:14
The additional ventilation built into a Tarptent aids tremendously in effectively managing condensation. However, in the right conditions, condensation will exist in a Tarptent.

bigcranky
10-02-2009, 07:47
Not sure I'd classify it as a "BIG" problem. Tarptents do get condensation under the right conditions. We carry a small pack towel and dry it off in the morning.

One nice feature of silnylon over urethane coated nylon is that the sil doesn't soak up water. Shake it and all the water just rolls off. A quick wipe with a pack towel, or ten minutes in the sun, and it's totally dry. I've had urethane coated tents that weighed an extra five pounds after it rained overnight. Nothing to do but carry it.

John B
10-02-2009, 08:04
I have both the Rainbow and the original Squall. When it was very cold, the Rainbow had quite a bit of condensation; however, I don't believe that it was to the extent that I would label it a problem.

kanga
10-02-2009, 08:08
second big cranky's pack towel, but i also use a nalgene bottle stuffed under the edge in the back and leave the bottom of the vestibule/front open a hair. it gives me enough airflow to check most of the condensation problem.

winger
10-02-2009, 08:22
I have the Contrail and the Scarp 1. Very little condensation noted and none that actually got any of my gear wet.

warraghiyagey
10-02-2009, 08:24
second big cranky's pack towel, but i also use a nalgene bottle stuffed under the edge in the back and leave the bottom of the vestibule/front open a hair. it gives me enough airflow to check most of the condensation problem.

As I recall at Abol you had pretty good water flow around that thing too. ..:D:D:D

Deadeye
10-02-2009, 08:25
Orignal Squall owner - condensation was totally manageable, just use a bandanna or pack towel. Really not much more condensation than some double-wall tents I've used.

kanga
10-02-2009, 08:35
As I recall at Abol you had pretty good water flow around that thing too. ..:D:D:D

haha! you are very funny! next time i'll be lazy like you and wait until dark to set up!:D

and i think i just had a tarp and bugnet then. i WISH i'd brought the tarptent. i will never leave home without it again...

Tagless
10-02-2009, 09:31
My wife and I used our Rainshadow 2 throughout our 2009 thru hike, sleeping in it well over 140 nights. We were amazed how LITTLE condensation was a problem. Perhaps this is partly due to the spaciousness (in turn great ventilation) of the Rainshadow.

One the rare mornings when we picked up some moisture (inside or outside) we quickly wiped it off using my absorbent camp towel. This reduced carrying weight and ensured that it dried off quicker when set up later.

garlic08
10-02-2009, 09:47
I spent over 100 nights in my TT Contrail and learned to manage condensation. Then I spent one night car camping with my wife's two-wall tent and had the worst condensation problems I'd had in a while because it didn't ventilate as well as the Contrail, and because I couldn't pick a really good site (had to camp near a creek).

So from my point of view, the new TTs ventilate very well and condensation is not enough of an issue to worry about with proper site selection and techniques. And I second the above statements about how easy it is to dry off the TT with few minutes of wind and/or sun or a bandanna.

cwayman1
10-02-2009, 10:15
Thanks for all of the feedback. The reason I ask is that this summer my girlfriend had a dendro research trip to New Mexico, so I got a single-walled NorthFace tent (Dyad 22) for her to use from a friend. She told me that about two nights into it she had to switch out tents for a doube-walled one because so much water (condensation) was dripping on all of her gear.

Does anyone have good experience DIY-ing one of these? Hints, tips, advice? I'm thinking about making something similar to a Rainshadow 2. Thanks

garlic08
10-02-2009, 10:30
If she spent a lot of time in the tent during a research trip, it may not have been the right choice for her. Especially that tent with three pole pieces and weighing over three pounds--none of the advantages of a single wall tent and all the disadvantages. The light single wall tents are best for a thru hike where the hiker moves all day and uses the tent only for sleeping. I would not want to sit out an all-day rain in one while trying to work on journals and notes and such.

The few DIYer's I've met have enjoyed their projects, but are usually jealous of my $200 Contrail.

brooklynkayak
10-02-2009, 10:40
Thanks for all of the feedback. The reason I ask is that this summer my girlfriend had a dendro research trip to New Mexico, so I got a single-walled NorthFace tent (Dyad 22) for her to use from a friend. She told me that about two nights into it she had to switch out tents for a doube-walled one because so much water (condensation) was dripping on all of her gear.

Ventilationis the key.
She did something wrong, either she blocked the vents or didn't pitch it correctly. I've never used that tent, but know people who have, in very the wet Appalachian trail areas and Atlantic coast, without much problem. I can't imagine it being a problem in the relatively dry New Mexico?

I have only owned one double wall shelter in my life. I have slept in many single walled shelters and have never had the so called condensation PROBLEM that others refer to. I do get condensation, but it has never been a problem for me.

I loaned one of my single wall tents to a couple who had only used double wall tents prior to then.
They complained that they had water running down the walls in the morning. I went to look and found that they had blocked all the vents with packs and gear and closed the top vent as they felt it would help keep the rain out:-( Rain doesn't come in that tent.

I guess double wall tents are made for people like that:-)

Like Tagless and Tagalong, I have camped many wet nights in a Rainshadow without enough condensation to be an issue. Henry Shire's tents are very well ventilated.

BrianLe
10-02-2009, 11:48
DIY: both tarptent.com and sixmoondesigns.com give away designs for single wall shelters on their sites, look around. You might also search sites like backpackinglight.com and in addition to (perhaps just instead of) "DIY", look for the term "MYOG" (make your own gear). There's a forum thread there on MYOG stuff that's pretty active.

Condensation: I've used a TT Contrail quite a bit and in general echo comments by others. It can vary a lot, however, based on where specifically you pitch, the particular weather that day, and the general climate you're in, etc. I've had condensation inside my Contrail freeze to leave a sort of thin ice sheet inside. The quick drying towel is a must-carry for me, unless I'm in a place like --- did you mention New Mexico in your example?! Seems like an odd place to have major condensation problems, but my experience in that sort of climate is pretty limited.

Jayboflavin04
10-02-2009, 12:39
This was my biggest concern when I bought mine. I got to sleep through a good 3-4 hour down poor. Yes there was condensation/misting. But I was amazed....nice and dry. I feel really secure now, no matter what the weather is like (3 season). Dont worry bout it. And as Garlic said stay away from lakes and streams when pitching.