PDA

View Full Version : Osprey ATMOS

lazy river road
10-02-2009, 07:19
So I tried the ATmos 50 and 65 on yesterday...i found that the shoulder straps were very close in squeezing my shoulders uncomfortably toogether...seemed like a very narrrow back....I am a very broad guy...did any one else find this to be a problem....does any one have a suggestion on a broad back pack...once I get all my gear toogether im hoping my pack weight will be light enough for a catalyst or circut

tuswm
10-02-2009, 08:57
I have not tried the new model yet.. I like the old model but I know they are very different. I know that Hudson trail had lots of the old model on Clarence last time I was down there. The HTO outlet is in Gaithersburg right off 270. But when I was in REI in Baltimore I tried the Osprey Exos 58 with 30 ls of sand and walked around for an hour. It felt great at 30 lbs. I am also in the market for a new pack. I use mine everyday for hiking or for working beach patrol. the sun sand and salt is hard on packs down here.

<<< Competitive swimmer (big shoulders)

gold bond
10-02-2009, 09:58
I just bought the Atmos 50.....I like it!!! Carried real well and I had no problem with the shoulder straps but I could see were if you had real broad shoulders it might be "confining" on you.

Doooglas
10-07-2009, 06:25
Try on a Gregory Z55. My partner in guiding crime has one and it's comfortable on me.
I'm pretty wide too. 6.2. 210 or so.

lazy river road
10-07-2009, 07:36
I tried on the Gregory Baltoro 70, fit very nice....I like how wide the back was and dident pinch or rub against the outside of my neck...I havent tried on the z55 yet..ill have to stop by REI and try it out...

skinewmexico
10-07-2009, 10:44
...once I get all my gear toogether im hoping my pack weight will be light enough for a catalyst or circut

Shouldn't be too hard, a Catalyst will hold a buttload of gear. I'm not entirely sure I'll ever go on a trip long enough to need mine.

I bought an Exos 46 and 58 (long story), and they didn't work for me with 22#. Wings on the hip belt just aren't long enough, and the trampoline back would twist and put everything on my shoulders. A real shame they didn't make those packs with swapable belts (like ULA). My skinny friends like them though.

srestrepo
10-07-2009, 10:48
i've got the older model atmos 50 the one that only came in red. i know its a fixed harness but being 5'11 290 pounds it fits my shoulders right... the hip belt is comfortable too...

lazy river road
10-07-2009, 11:02
I was looking at the gregory Z series and liked the looks of those....Im not so concerned about about the Pack fitting all of my gear as being concerned with the pack being to heavy for the gear I have and am using....I am placing my order for my WBBB on oct 17 for my b day along with the super fly and yeti...I have a wisper light international as a stove...no cook set yet...but have some ideas about what I want (and suggestions are always welcomed) and clothing taboot...I could talk about what pack I want for ever but as said before i need to collect all my gear before pack is bought...friday im buying my katadyn water filter pump...

skinewmexico
10-07-2009, 11:13
Replace your Whisperlite with a Snowpeak Gigapower, or alcohol stove, and you'll save a ton. Then freezer bag it, so you don't need a cookset. And your Katadyn with Aqua Mira.

Spokes
10-07-2009, 11:41
I carried the Atmos 65 this year and like Gold Bond didn't have one bit of trouble with the shoulder straps. Now the mesh hip belt pockets were another story.... they're notorious for wearing out way too fast and a constant source of consternation by other Atmos owners.

Good luck in your search.

Yukon
10-07-2009, 12:12
I tried on the Gregory Baltoro 70, fit very nice....I like how wide the back was and dident pinch or rub against the outside of my neck...I havent tried on the z55 yet..ill have to stop by REI and try it out...

Purchase the Baltoro my friend, you won't be dissapinted. I tried on the Atmos 65 as well and had the same feeling that you had. I absolutely love my Baltoro, and I'm 6'-5" tall, 220 with pretty broad shoulders...

TroutEhCuss
11-01-2009, 02:39
I bought a gregory z55 , but thought it was uncomfortable with weight over 32#. I traded the gregory in for a atmos 50 '08 model. The atmos 50 was hard to fit my stuff in because of the weird main compartment. I'm taking mine back due to that and hydration bag gets squeezed too much due to the main compartment. Those that use the atmos, usually go with the atmos 65 (that I've hiked with).

Big Dawg
11-01-2009, 08:23
I bought a gregory z55 , but thought it was uncomfortable with weight over 32#. I traded the gregory in for a atmos 50 '08 model. The atmos 50 was hard to fit my stuff in because of the weird main compartment. I'm taking mine back due to that and hydration bag gets squeezed too much due to the main compartment. Those that use the atmos, usually go with the atmos 65 (that I've hiked with).

Yea, I originally had the 50 & switched to the 65 when it came out. I LOVE the atmos 65. It fits me great! The odd shape of the interior is no biggie to me, partly b/c I don't use the interior hydration bag sleeve.

MintakaCat
11-01-2009, 09:56
Purchase the Baltoro my friend, you won't be dissapinted. I tried on the Atmos 65 as well and had the same feeling that you had. I absolutely love my Baltoro, and I'm 6'-5" tall, 220 with pretty broad shoulders...

I liked the Baltoro also, but I ended up with the Atmos 65 because the Baltoro weighs close to 6 lbs. Still, I wonder if I should have gotten the Baltoro? Don't know.

If the pack doesn't feel right, then you need to find one that does, even if it weighs more.

For me the Atmos 65 feels fine, no problems. But we all know people come in different shapes and sizes, and no pack will fit well with everyone.

Passion Hiker 73
11-01-2009, 10:19
I recently purchased a Atmos 65 and I really like it.

TroutEhCuss
11-02-2009, 19:06
Big Dawg - how do carry watter? It's my biggest concern with the 65 (I still plan on trading to the 65).

Biggest advantage of the 65 over the 50 is that you can go farther in between towns. Avoiding expensive towns is important if you want to keep cost down. ***note: I have no experience with that personally, since I haven't done a thru hike yet.

Big Dawg
11-02-2009, 21:35
Big Dawg - how do carry watter? It's my biggest concern with the 65 (I still plan on trading to the 65).

I carry two 1L gatorade bottles, one in each side pocket. I also have a 3L platy that I use for camp, but can deploy it if need be for long waterless stretches, stowing it in either the outside front stretch pocket or right underneath the top lid. Never had to do this before, but know I can if need be. I previously used a 50oz platy w/ hose so I could sip while hiking. I stowed it in one of the side pockets & ran the hose up the side of the pack under the compression strap, then over & down the should strap. I also had a 1L bottle in the other pocket. I eventually realized the platy w/ hose wasn't necessary... for me. I don't mind stopping from time to time, take off the pack, stretch a bit, and suck down some water from my bottles. Works for me.