PDA

View Full Version : When is it okay to Section Hike the Whites?

Manwich
10-02-2009, 10:47
When would it be earliest considered safe and enjoyable for persons with only +20/+30 degree bags, No Crampons or Snowshoes to section hike the entire (95ish mi?) AT sections through the white mountains?

Might be a group of 6 people. Recommend reserving Huts / Cabins / Shelters? Recommend spots to sleep? Food stores to replenish?

Manwich
10-02-2009, 10:53
I am aware that Vermonts Mud Season ends Memorial Day, does this also apply to NH? (I know its a courtesy thing)

Old Hillwalker
10-02-2009, 11:23
We definitely have a mud season, but no trail closures. Not here in the land of "Live free or Die".

Because of the Black Fly population I would put the ideal time for sectioning from mid June to October 1st. The Presidential Range sections above tree line are a special case as you can find winter conditions up there at times even in high summer. Later than October 1st is possible, but can have nights and days below freezing with snow and ice.

Slo-go'en
10-02-2009, 12:01
It really depends on the kind of winter/spring we have and that changes year to year. Mid May is probably the earliest one could count on having the trails clear of ice and snow, but there could still be patches here and there if there was a lot of snow over the winter.

If you have the money to burn, going hut to hut is a good option, as then it turns into more of a series of day hikes than a real backpacking trip. But you'd have to make your reserations early (like now, or as soon as they start accepting them) to make sure there is room for a group of 6 in all the huts. And it going to cost you close to 5 grand for a group of 6 to do all the huts.

The few shetlers and designated tenting areas in the Whites are first come/first served and can fill up quickly during peak hiking season in the summer, especially on weekends. A group of 6 showing up late in the day could be a problem finding space available.

The Snowman
10-02-2009, 12:12
If you go the hut route make sure you understand the booking and priceing policey. there are diccounts for multy night trips, mid week trips etc. and the AMC is not that good at keeping tract of these deals fo you.

peakbagger
10-02-2009, 13:15
The best time to section the whites is mid September. Generally the week after whatever week labor day falls on. The woods mostly empty out except for weekends and college groups. Generally the last week of September into the first week of October is pushing it as there is usually a change in the weather pattern and a chance of snow on the summits (there is snow down to about 4000 feet today on Adams). The weather can get nice in October but its hard to plan and the nights can be cold. .

If you have the bucks and want to do it the low hassle way, its hard to beat the AMC huts as long as you are aware that they stuff a lot of folks into each hut, so privacy for your group while at the huts is not likely. If you can book during the week they are a bit less busy (but not much).

Black Flies pretty much own the woods until early June.

Manwich
10-02-2009, 13:31
Well, I'd prefer to thru-it but one of my buddies can't get off work during the week so I may be splitting it up into 5 weekend section hikes. (I know trip #1 isn't quite in the whites)

Please PLEASE poke holes in this.

Trip 1:
Friday Night: Meet at 25C, Tent Site Near Parking at Goose Pond Road
Sat Morning: Parking at Goose Pond Road
Sat Night: Hexacuba Shelter (13mi)
Finish At: NH Route 25C – Parking under Powerlines (9mi)
Notes: Most of the trip isn’t Whites, only the last 3mi or so. Water 1mi before shelter at South Jacobs Brook, 2 tent sites.

Trip 2:
Friday Night: Lafayette Campground
Sat Morning: NH Route 25C – Parking under Powerlines
Sat Night: Beaver Brook Shelter (11.4mi)
Finish At: I-93 (9mi)
Notes: 2 big tent pads on site. Good Water Source remarked. Plenty of parking at 93.

Trip 3:
Friday Night: Lafayette Campground or Dry River Campground
Sat Morning: I-93
Sat Night: Galehead Hut (11mi)
Finish At: 302, Crawford Notch (13mi)
Notes:

Trip 4:
Friday Night: Dry River Campground or Dolly Copp Campground
Sat Morning: Crawford Notch
Sat Night: Lakes of the Clouds Hut (10mi)
Finish At: Pinkham Notch, Camp out at Dolly Copp (13mi)
Notes: $105 for AMC members for Lakes of the Clouds Hut. Might make this hike begin Friday so Sat night can be spent at Campground.

Trip 5:
Friday Night: Dolly Copp Campground
Sat Morning: Pinkham Notch
Sat Night: Imp Shelter (11mi)
Finish At: US 2 (7mi)
Notes: $8 per person at Imp Campsite. 5 Platforms.

Blissful
10-02-2009, 13:36
Well you can get snow, sleet etc any time of year. But I have been there early July and August, no probems except for bad wind and sleet and t-storms.

Most thru hikers do work-for-stay at the huts. That season though it will be at a premium in July and August as both NOBO and SOBO hikers go through then. But if you plan to stay and pay at the huts, you won't need much food at all. But its pricey. You might also check out the RMC facilities too in the Presidential section - they are less costly.

The Old Fhart
10-02-2009, 15:56
Keep in mind that if you're recommending using the AMC high huts (Madison, Lakes), their open season is about June 6th to September 12th-15th.

Slo-go'en
10-03-2009, 15:08
[quote=Totem;901718]Well, I'd prefer to thru-it but one of my buddies can't get off work during the week so I may be splitting it up into 5 weekend section hikes. (I know trip #1 isn't quite in the whites)

Please PLEASE poke holes in this.

Keep in mind you looking at a 6-7 hour drive north on Friday night, then the same back home after a couple of days of hard hiking on Sunday. Plus your going to waste some time Sat morning moving cars around (you'll want 2 cars and put one where you get off the trail, or getting back to the starting point could be some trouble) and you'll likely want to stop someplace for breakfist.

Not bad to do once, okay to do twice, but will get exhausting if you try to do it 5 weekends in a row. Every other weekend would be better, but that will take 10 weeks - over 2 months.

The most logical time to do this is in mid summer when you have the longest days. And the biggest crowds on weekends. Be sure to get reservations at the campgrounds for Friday night, or you will likely be turned away.

Personally, I'd tell the guy who can't take a week off work "Sorry, wish you could come, but..."

mudhead
10-03-2009, 15:33
AMC also runs shuttle vans that might help in spots. Not sure when they go to 7 days a week, but FWIW.

Tin Man
10-03-2009, 17:05
Totem, those are some serious daily miles in the whites. Are you sure you entire group is strong enough and in excellent condition to pull it off?

Scaper
10-03-2009, 21:09
Be aware if you hike the whites in early September you will run into college and high school groups at almost every tent site.

Tin Man
10-03-2009, 23:13
Be aware if you hike the whites in early September you will run into college and high school groups at almost every tent site.

last week of august too

wystiria
10-08-2009, 08:55
Well, I'd prefer to thru-it but one of my buddies can't get off work during the week so I may be splitting it up into 5 weekend section hikes. (I know trip #1 isn't quite in the whites)

Trip 5:
Friday Night: Dolly Copp Campground
Sat Morning: Pinkham Notch
Sat Night: Imp Shelter (11mi)
Finish At: US 2 (7mi)
Notes: $8 per person at Imp Campsite. 5 Platforms.

Having just done a north bound ascent of the wildcats - I would be warry about those 11 miles, after a long drive and probably not a good nights sleep. granted on a nice day the ascent up from pinkham is breathtaking - but the puds along the trail from there to carter are not awe inspiring lol.

it is do-able, just try and sleep well the night before :) Me I would think about staying at carter hut, and with 6 people you could probably get your own room.

wystiria
10-08-2009, 08:58
Oh and we went out laborday weekend through the following week we did a full hut traverse via the AT...ok with a touch of peak bagging as we went lol. and the weather was spectacular for us!!!!!! we were soooo lucky. BUT it was COLD at night and in the am up over 4000'

I will say - we have NO ONE in the huts the week after labor day, 12 of us at Mitzpah, 8 at zealand, 8 at Galehead, 5 at Greenleaf, and 4 at Lonesome lake.....that was AWESOME :) heh we had our own room (there were 3 of us) at all of the above huts lol. pretty cool.