PDA

View Full Version : Amee Farm Hostel in Vermont

Jeff
10-02-2009, 11:26
I visited the Amee Farm Hostel about 6 miles north of Gifford Woods State Park off VT 100.

It is a brand new barnlike structure, quite impressive. Room for at least 18-20 hikers maybe more. Also caters to LD bikers and skiers (only a few miles from Killington). Work for stay. Farming and greenhouse on premises. Country store nearby.

Kind of close to the Inn at the Long Trail but less expensive if you are on a budget.

ShelterLeopard
10-02-2009, 11:48
That's cool- how far off the trail is it?

ShelterLeopard
10-02-2009, 11:50
I mean, I see it's 6 miles from the state park, but I'm not very familiar with the trail in VT. (I'm familiar with VT towns though)

Red Hat
10-02-2009, 11:55
What is the charge? Or is it only work for stay?

Jeff
10-02-2009, 13:06
The hostel is 6 miles from the AT although the 2009 Companion says 0.6 miles. The folks there say it's an easy hitch.

Prices: Work for stay or $20/pp or $10/pp to tent.

PO nearby.

ShelterLeopard
10-02-2009, 13:10
Good to know, thanks. By the way, where is your hostel in Manchester? Is it difficult to get there from the trail?

Jeff
10-02-2009, 14:02
Check out the 2010 guidebooks. We pick you up in town, take you to the hostel and get hikers back to the trailhead in the AM.

We are open July 4th thru Labor Day.....after that I am out hiking!!!!

Jeff
10-02-2009, 14:03
Good to know, thanks. By the way, where is your hostel in Manchester? Is it difficult to get there from the trail?

Check out the 2010 guidebooks. We pick you up in town, take you to the hostel and get hikers back to the trailhead in the AM.

We are open July 4th thru Labor Day.....after that I am out hiking!!!!

ShelterLeopard
10-02-2009, 18:15
Thanks- my 2009 edition has slightly different dates.

Sly
10-11-2010, 21:45
It's come to my attention the Amee farm hostel has closed.

flyingturtle
07-22-2011, 11:08
It's come to my attention the Amee farm hostel has closed.

Is this still the case? I just purchased a 2011 Thru-Hikers' Companion and it is still listed in there.

Sly
07-22-2011, 11:16
Is this still the case? I just purchased a 2011 Thru-Hikers' Companion and it is still listed in there.

On again, off again. Last year it was a state permit issue that I thought was rectified, so I took a chance and put them in the 2011 guide. You can try calling but from what I understand, they're closed to hikers again this year.

flyingturtle
07-22-2011, 12:47
On again, off again. Last year it was a state permit issue that I thought was rectified, so I took a chance and put them in the 2011 guide. You can try calling but from what I understand, they're closed to hikers again this year.

Thank you! Didn't realize you are the editor. (I understand where the name "Sly" comes from now :D) I have used the Thru-hiker's Handbook in the past, but decided to try the Companion this time. Although I haven't "field-tested" it yet, I have found it very informative in the planning process!

Sly
07-22-2011, 14:56
Thank you! Didn't realize you are the editor. (I understand where the name "Sly" comes from now :D) I have used the Thru-hiker's Handbook in the past, but decided to try the Companion this time. Although I haven't "field-tested" it yet, I have found it very informative in the planning process!

Thanks. When I took over I was tempted to trim it down, but decided many volunteer hours were spent getting it where it is and that much of the info, some consider superfluous, is historically interesting. While it has more pages and somewhat heavier than other guides, it's easy enough to cut it up and only carry the pages you need.