PDA

View Full Version : Good Campsite between Neels Gap and Hogpen Gap?

Ridgeline
10-02-2009, 13:29
I'm trying to get back into doing some overnighters and I am thinking of hiking this short 6.4 mile section of the trail(I'm out of hiking shape) and tenting...anyone know a good place to camp along this section...the closer to Hogpen the better, but I'm open to anywhere on this section.

bigmac_in
10-02-2009, 13:51
Your best bet might be Cowrock Mtn. Nice view from there, and all downhill from there to Tesnatee Gap, where you DO NOT want to camp, and mostly uphill from Tenatee up Wildcat Mtn, and short distance to Hogpen.

That's an EASY day hike (Neel to Hogpen).

Ridgeline
10-02-2009, 14:20
Your best bet might be Cowrock Mtn. Nice view from there, and all downhill from there to Tesnatee Gap, where you DO NOT want to camp, and mostly uphill from Tenatee up Wildcat Mtn, and short distance to Hogpen.

That's an EASY day hike (Neel to Hogpen).

Thanks...Cowrock Mtn sounds like what I'm looking for......I know Neels to Hogpen would be considered day hike distance for most(myself included)...That's the exact reason I chose this section...I'm just trying to get used to carrying the pack weight again and not looking to overdo it...Just want a relatively easy and short hike in so that I'll have plenty of time to set up camp and "smell the roses":)

Dances with Mice
10-02-2009, 14:53
But if you make better time than you thought and get to Cowrock early, go on down to Tesnatee, grunt back up to the ridge then go check out Whitley Gap.

It's kind of a bonus-point shelter.

bigcranky
10-02-2009, 16:27
Cowrock Mtn has some nice campsites, and great views from the nearby rocks. Last spring it was a gathering place for coyotes every night, where they would hang out and howl. We didn't get to stay there, though I would have enjoyed that.

bigcranky
10-02-2009, 16:27
Oh, you should probably bring water.

Bulldawg
10-02-2009, 16:30
But if you make better time than you thought and get to Cowrock early, go on down to Tesnatee, grunt back up to the ridge then go check out Whitley Gap.

Ditto on that. Great little used shelter with the best water source I've ever seen at an AT shelter. The view on out the blue blaze going towards the shelter is great as well.

Egads
10-02-2009, 17:29

Said ridge (Wildcat Mountain) after the climb out of Tesnatee is a good place to watch a sunset and the swallows fly by so close you hear the wind in their wings.

dreamsoftrails
10-02-2009, 18:41
I'm trying to get back into doing some overnighters and I am thinking of hiking this short 6.4 mile section of the trail(I'm out of hiking shape) and tenting...anyone know a good place to camp along this section...the closer to Hogpen the better, but I'm open to anywhere on this section.

wolf laurel top is the premier camp site in that area. however, there are many to choose from between WLT and Cowrock mountain, i reccomend just winging it and stopping at the first campsite that won't let you leave.

MintakaCat
10-02-2009, 20:13

I got to admit that section has been calling me for sometime now. I've often had the idea for a quick hike this fall in that section. I like the feedback I'm reading here too, good stuff.

scope
10-02-2009, 20:32
Thanks...Cowrock Mtn sounds like what I'm looking for......I know Neels to Hogpen would be considered day hike distance for most(myself included)...That's the exact reason I chose this section...I'm just trying to get used to carrying the pack weight again and not looking to overdo it...Just want a relatively easy and short hike in so that I'll have plenty of time to set up camp and "smell the roses":)

Ha! I was thinking the same thing a few years back, decided I would start out with a short section... like Tesnatee to Hogpen. Kicked my ax! :eek:

Seriously, if you don't see a site you like, walk another 1/4 mile. Real popular section. One October I went for a late dayhike from Neels out to Cowrock and back, lots of empty campsites along the way to Cowrock, and not one was available on the way back. Personally, I've always wanted to camp along the trail to Whitley Gap shelter, haven't done that yet.

If you stay at Cowrock, you might want to read the thread on the coyotes...

Bulldawg
10-02-2009, 21:53
Personally, I've always wanted to camp along the trail to Whitley Gap shelter, haven't done that yet.

Some nice places up there just out of the wind too. I think I might catch a fall sunset up there myself real soon. One caveat is the water up there, unless someone tells me I don't have to go down that darn hill to Whitley Gap.

jesse
10-02-2009, 23:25
whitley gap because of the water. Long climb out in the morning, but isn't that what its all about.

energy_turtle
10-03-2009, 13:00
In that section, I suppose I'd recommend Cowrock Mtn as well. During my weeklong hike last week I covered that section pretty quickly (camped ~1m north of Hogpen Gap and made it to Neel Gap around 2:30pm) I didn't care for any of the area between the summits of Cowrock and Levelland Mtn...it's very overgrown right now and poorly blazed. The view at Cowrock can't be beat though. Here's my favorite self portrait from the whole week:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_GlbWVa4cVxI/SsZAhX9cI3I/AAAAAAAABUc/wfhs4UN1gCw/s800/IMG_3203.JPG

MintakaCat
10-03-2009, 21:02
Said ridge (Wildcat Mountain) after the climb out of Tesnatee is a good place to watch a sunset and the swallows fly by so close you hear the wind in their wings.

Egads, your description sounded so good that I went up there today and got this photo:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/9/3/7/7/wildcat_mnt.jpg

Bulldawg
10-03-2009, 21:52
Egads, your description sounded so good that I went up there today and got this photo:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/9/3/7/7/wildcat_mnt.jpg

Sweet, I was at the Gap most of the evening. Nice views today. Virtually clear skies!!

MintakaCat
10-04-2009, 06:13
What is the overnight parking like at Hogpen Gap? Being right on the highway concerns me.

cavediver256
10-04-2009, 10:17
I hiked from Neel Gap to Tesnatee and back yesterday (10/3). Started about 10:30am and saw hardly no one on the trail heading out to Tesnatee, however one the way back from Tesnatee to Neel Gap, the traffic had picked up considerably and the campsites were starting to fill up If you were planning on camping that section, might want to get there a little early.

energy_turtle
10-04-2009, 22:12
What is the overnight parking like at Hogpen Gap? Being right on the highway concerns me.

I parked at Hogpen for a weekend back in April. No problems then other than overcrowding...we didn't arrive until nearly 10pm on a Friday night and there were a lot of cars already there.

shoe
10-04-2009, 22:38
I have parked at Hogpen several times with no problems

Ridgeline
10-06-2009, 13:08
thanks for all the great feedback....very useful

Graywolf
10-07-2009, 00:25
You guys are really tempting me!!!!! Errrrrrrrrrr....I gotta get out of here!!!!