PDA

View Full Version : Water supply Harpers Ferry down to Georgia...INFO needed!!!!

phoebersl
10-02-2009, 14:06
How's the water supply Harpers Ferry Down to Georgia this time of year? Could I get by without a water filter and just use drops? Or do I need one to suck up what little water there is? Should I bring a 2.5L water bladder and a 1L water bottle or can I get by with just 2 water bottles? Any info would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

dreamsoftrails
10-02-2009, 18:42
that is too long of an area for anyone to give you one single answer.

there has been enough rain in GA/NC to keep the springs wet.

Blissful
10-02-2009, 19:25
Sure you can use Aqua Mira. I'd bring a cup for dipping, just in case. I use a 3 liter platy and a soda bottle.

Kerosene
10-03-2009, 10:48
I think that you're really asking about how to handle water for Fall hiking down south. I've been doing Fall section hikes for awhile now, many of them south of Harpers Ferry. Most years, I've gotten by with carrying up to 80 ounces of water at a time, but in drought areas I've supplemented with a 20-ounce plastic soda bottle I would pick up along the way. I've also carried a 4-liter water bag during dry years, especially for areas where springs are a long way from where I'm camping. I've been using Aqua Mira for 5-6 years now, and there have only been a few times that I wish I had a pump. I carry a bandana and single-cup coffee filters if I need to pre-filter. A dipping cup is a good idea, especially if it has a flexible rim that you can press against a dripping rock.