PDA

View Full Version : Tarp Tents

weasel and bunny
10-02-2009, 22:06
Class of, oh 2020.
Ok So the my wife and I, class of 2009, postponed untill 2020 due to pregnancy. Our goal now is to become from section hike 2009 to thru hike begining 10 years after the birth of our child.
I am looking for a tarp tent for 2 adults and a 10 year old.
Please assist.

ed bell
10-02-2009, 22:22
Let me make sure I'm reading your post correctly. You are looking for a tarp tent that you will be using 10 1/2 years from now? :confused: Wait?

MikenSalem
10-02-2009, 22:32
Classic case of "I quit hiking" remorse. Subject has desperate thoughts of future hikes and stockpiles gear to self medicate.

weasel and bunny
10-02-2009, 22:34
Yes
Looking for IDEAS!!!
Technology is not going to change that much that equipment is going to drop 2.6 pounds, the current weight of the Rain Shadow 2 which sleeps three.
As I said. I am seeking a tarp tent for 2 adults an a child.

weasel and bunny
10-02-2009, 22:45
Classic case of "I quit hiking" remorse. Subject has desperate thoughts of future hikes and stockpiles gear to self medicate.
Classic case of what???
Classic case of we found out we were going to have a child before we were supposed to leave? Classic case of we did 37 miles in 4 days last week? Classic case of another 78 three weks ago?
Classic case of forgoing a large sectikon hike while learning to bring another hiker into this world.
Read this. We will hike the AT. We are looking for suggestions. This is not remorse and stockpiling gear. We are actively hiking, so why the negativity???

ed bell
10-02-2009, 23:02
Ok, all I did was ask for a clarification. Let me make a suggestion, the lighter you go, the more likely that you will lose durability if you use the gear on a regular basis. Don't buy something now for a thru-hike in ten years. Moved to "General Gear Talk".

The Weasel
10-02-2009, 23:05
The Weasel is not the weasel with bunny.

TW

jesse
10-02-2009, 23:19
... so why the negativity???

welcome to whiteblaze

Maddog
10-03-2009, 00:02
wow! this place is awesome! i wish i would have kept "lurking" and just reading the articles! im leaving whiteblaze! lol!

MikenSalem
10-03-2009, 00:24
Classic case of what???
Classic case of we found out we were going to have a child before we were supposed to leave? Classic case of we did 37 miles in 4 days last week? Classic case of another 78 three weks ago?
Classic case of forgoing a large sectikon hike while learning to bring another hiker into this world.
Read this. We will hike the AT. We are looking for suggestions. This is not remorse and stockpiling gear. We are actively hiking, so why the negativity???

Don't know why you're so negative, could be your complete lack of humor.

Franco
10-03-2009, 05:43
One thing is for sure (trust me...) very few shelters that are out now will be "cutting edge" in 2020...
However, right now the Rainshadow would be my choice , or the Hogback if the child proves to be a bit active...
Franco

Tinker
10-03-2009, 09:42
One thing is for sure (trust me...) very few shelters that are out now will be "cutting edge" in 2020...
However, right now the Rainshadow would be my choice , or the Hogback if the child proves to be a bit active...
Franco

Would be my suggestion based upon what I see on the internet. There aren't too many true tarptents (single wall) for more than two people currently. I believe the Hogback is a double wall, but still very light for the amount of tent you get. The design is like an oversized Hilleberg Akto, which I own. The broad "roof" of both tents lends itself to heavy snow loading which isn't a problem as long as you're around to knock it off from time to time (most likely if you're thruhiking with it).

Snowleopard
10-03-2009, 10:12
weasel and bunny, Congratulations on the baby! In 10.5 years, my guess is that the tents will be similar to what's available now but lighter fabric may be available then.

Ladytrekker
10-03-2009, 10:21
Do you ever really settle of one tent, I just bought my 4th one and I am not sure it will be my last.

Reid
10-03-2009, 11:43
Whats with the attitudes? You'll probaby switch tents a few times IMO.

scope
10-03-2009, 12:14
yeah, but I do think its a little crazy to buy a tent for specs that apply ten years out... I think that's the attitude you're getting here, and frankly, I think that attitude is reasonable.

for all you know, you'll be hammocking by then!! :)

Feral Bill
10-03-2009, 12:36
Lot's of tent designs don't change all that much. The Sierra Designs Flashlight basic design is at least 25 years old, and very similar to the old Gerry two person from the late 50s or early sixties. Both about the same weight.

So get a lightweight tent. Get a kid pack for toting junior when the babys old enough to safely ride. Use lightweight gear so that one adult can carry it all while the other carries the kid, and have fun.

If you wear out the tent from lots of use that's hardly a bad thing, is it? Get a new one when you need it.

LimpsAlong
10-03-2009, 14:46
Negativity? You want negativity?
In 2020 you tent should include the following:

1. 3 foot of earth all around or lead sheathing
2. A quality water and air filtration system
3. Food for 16-24 months
4. Gold. The only thing besides food and ammo that will have value
5. Chemical toilet with LARGE containment system
6. Weapons and ammunition

Pack weight, 2326 lbs (approx)

superman
10-03-2009, 15:35
Negativity? You want negativity?
In 2020 you tent should include the following:

1. 3 foot of earth all around or lead sheathing
2. A quality water and air filtration system
3. Food for 16-24 months
4. Gold. The only thing besides food and ammo that will have value
5. Chemical toilet with LARGE containment system
6. Weapons and ammunition

Pack weight, 2326 lbs (approx)

LMAO, we've got a recruit for the "optimist club.":)

skinewmexico
10-03-2009, 16:16
Geez, life doesn't stop because you have a child.

Rocket Jones
10-03-2009, 16:43
No it doesn't, but it takes a helluva detour for a while.

superman
10-03-2009, 16:51

I was going to hike the AT in 1968 but life happened and I didn't get to do it until 2000. Detour...I guess.:)