PDA

View Full Version : please critique my packing list

jbrecon2
10-03-2009, 01:05
Here is a tenative list of some things i was thinking of packing for a NOBO thru starting in mid march. Please feel free to critique!!! having been in the Army for 12 years and section hiked 300 miles in Virginia I know the importance of good gear, however i havent spent a night in the wilderness since 2005!! i'm trying to go as light as possible..... 20 pounds base???

*** = items i already own

Reebok Nylon running shorts***
Capilene 2 long bottoms***
Capilene 2 zip top***
Ice Breaker tech tee***
Mountain hardwear compression jacket
Marmot Precip Rain jacket***
Three pairs wool socks.....Bridgedale Trekkers
Some type of Insulating Cap Cap....input please
Mountain Hardwear stretch Gloves
Keen Voyagers Mid***

-Items i'm not sure about.

micro fleece top and bottoms in addition to Capilene for sleeping....over kill????
marmot driclime (already own) in place of compressor jacket???
Convertible hiking pants in addition to shorts and Capilene 2???
Bacalava?
patagonia baggies***

-Stove
jet boil

-Pack
Ula catalyst

-poles
NO IDEA!!!

-headlamp
princeton tech***

-tent
ll bean microlight 2*** -also considering msr hubba, tarptent rainbow

-sleeping bag
montbell ss#2 -also considering jacksrbetter quilt

-pad
thermarest prolite or Z pad

Snowleopard
10-03-2009, 10:08
Stove -- since you don't already own it, the jetboil is a good stove but heavy. A Snowpeak canister stove http://www.rei.com/product/643058 is lighter and works well. Read up on homemade alcohol stoves; they're lighter if you like them. You'll need a pot and spoon.
Tent -- your LL Bean tent is a bit heavy; advantage probably good in bug season. Try out a tarp-- try an 8'x10' painter's plastic drop cloth (almost free) and if you like it get a silnylon tarp.
Sleeping bag -- the Montbell looks good but is expensive; this Campmor down 20 degree bag is popular and is a bargain http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40065
Clothes -- no idea, I'm not familiar with the clothes you mention. You can carry a bit extra in the beginning and up north and mail the extras home when it warms up.

Have fun!

Ladytrekker
10-03-2009, 10:12
I have to agree on the stove, while camping my friend had a jetboil and I had a msr pocket rocket and mine worked so much better for some reason the jetboil is really affected by surrounding air we were only able to get it to boil after we made a makeshift windscreen to surround it, however I did not need it for my msr. I have now gone to a alcohol beer can/catfood can stove.

Wags
10-03-2009, 10:20
i'd hesitate replacing the compressor jacket w/ a driclime. in my quiver the driclime replaced my fleece, but i still carry an insulated jacket (similar to your MH compressor)

Spokes
10-03-2009, 10:42
Yes, consider an alcohol stove! You'll always find fuel. You may look at the Etowah stove instead of making your own. They're good performers.

A Montbell down jacket weighs 6 oz and you'll see plenty of other thru's wearing them. I carry 2 weights of cap's (mid and lite).

You can get buy with a 20 degree bag for winter but you'll want to swap out to a 40 degree summer bag when the weather changes.

The Hubba HP 1 person tent is bombproof.

Didn't see water filtration/treatment system in your post and may have overlooked it. My vote is for Aqua Mira.

Sounds like you're into your planning stages. Doing an online journal? Take a look at www.trailphone.net as a way to post audio updates. It's free. I used it this year and got a ton of compliments.

Good luck with the rest of your planning!

-Spokes

dla
10-03-2009, 16:09
Total crap.You'll die at the trailhead when you exit the vehicle. Make sure you fill out an organ donor card.

:D

Tinker
10-03-2009, 17:02
Get some zip off pants and leave the shorts at home. You'll need some wind protection on your legs from time to time. There have been temps close to zero in the higher mountains in NC even in April. Likely - not really, possible - definitely. Think about getting some vapor barrier socks for snowy days when your shoes are soaked. They make wet insulation work better.
For a hat get a wool or synthetic watch cap (skull cap) and make sure you have something for the wind, too. I use a Marmot windshirt over fleece a lot and it has a hood to cover my head with or without a cap - it's a 3 oz. lifesaver (the Precip will make you sweat like a pig unless it's REALLY cold out - then you'll just get tons of condensation inside).
Think underwear, insulation, wind wear, and rain wear. A lot of people get by without the wind wear but it makes your insulation layer pick up a lot of perspiration moisture.
Don't forget the cap with visor or brim for sunny days, and the sunscreen.

drastic_quench
10-03-2009, 17:51
Total crap.You'll die at the trailhead when you exit the vehicle. Make sure you fill out an organ donor card.

Ha ha ha.

-------------------

skinewmexico
10-03-2009, 18:23
I'd look at the Tarptent Moment instead of the Rainbow.......

jbrecon2
10-04-2009, 12:41
Hey thanks everyone for you input, it is so helpful. Tinker I'm definately going to take a serious look at that marmot windshirt, I had never heard of it.

nox
10-04-2009, 12:43
check your local TJ maxx for the driclime shirts, the one near me had about 20 the other day, all small and xl's though so i didn't get one unfortunately

Blissful
10-04-2009, 20:01
Go with convertible pants, leave shorts at home or at least unitl summer.

Balaclava is helpful, it can get pretty windy.

Also, be sure you post your other gear items if you want lose weight - its usually found in ounces, like your first aid kit, etc.

Poles are optional - if you were in your 20s, I'd say skip it, but you might look into them for knees, etc. Leki is standard

I dont know - I'd go with the hubba tentwise, but that's me. I mean the tarp tent is fine down south (I used my Squall until NY), but in New England with bad mosquitos, tent pads and wind and weather in the NH mtns, etc I was VERY glad for our hubba hubba.

Lone Wolf
10-04-2009, 20:12
Here is a tenative list of some things i was thinking of packing for a NOBO thru starting in mid march. Please feel free to critique!!! having been in the Army for 12 years and section hiked 300 miles in Virginia I know the importance of good gear, however i havent spent a night in the wilderness since 2005!! i'm trying to go as light as possible..... 20 pounds base???

Reebok Nylon running shorts***
Capilene 2 long bottoms***
Capilene 2 zip top***
Ice Breaker tech tee***
Mountain hardwear compression jacket
Marmot Precip Rain jacket***
Three pairs wool socks.....Bridgedale Trekkers
Some type of Insulating Cap Cap....input please
Mountain Hardwear stretch Gloves
Keen Voyagers Mid***

micro fleece top and bottoms in addition to Capilene for sleeping....over kill????
marmot driclime (already own) in place of compressor jacket???
Convertible hiking pants in addition to shorts and Capilene 2???
Bacalava?
patagonia baggies***

-Stove
jet boil

-Pack
Ula catalyst

-poles
NO IDEA!!!

-headlamp
princeton tech***

-tent

-sleeping bag
montbell ss#2 -also considering jacksrbetter quilt

-pad
thermarest prolite or Z pad

it's all good. take it. add or subtract items as you go. nobody on here can advise you. there are no experts. you'll learn

Del Q
10-04-2009, 20:18
Thermarest Neo Air pad is great. Just came back from Vermont, great nights sleep, warm, light. Expensive but good gear.
Balaclava - light, warm, good to sleep in, does not fall off like hats can
Love my Mont Bell bag

jbrecon2
10-04-2009, 21:50
Go with convertible pants, leave shorts at home or at least unitl summer.

Balaclava is helpful, it can get pretty windy.

Also, be sure you post your other gear items if you want lose weight - its usually found in ounces, like your first aid kit, etc.

Poles are optional - if you were in your 20s, I'd say skip it, but you might look into them for knees, etc. Leki is standard

I dont know - I'd go with the hubba tentwise, but that's me. I mean the tarp tent is fine down south (I used my Squall until NY), but in New England with bad mosquitos, tent pads and wind and weather in the NH mtns, etc I was VERY glad for our hubba hubba.

Thanks Blissful and everyone else.

I'll probally be taking the katahdin and aqua mira. My brother and I each carrying one. I was thinking the Jetboil because of the conveniece of the companion cup with my brother. But still considering MSR pocket rocket. I dont really like all the pieces of an alcohol stove. For first aid probally duck tape and motrin, perhaps a little mole foam. Im an ICU nurse, if it isnt going to kill me I can get through it.

Additional items not included in first list.
Swiss army knife
I phone
Bic lighter
A couple gatorade Bottles and probally a platypus bladder
Outdoor research food bag and assorted other stuff sacks.
20 feet 550 cord
Crocs or flip flops
Digital Camera
Journal
Capilene 1 and 2 base layers? top and bottom? Input Please????
Now considering marmot Ion windshirt instead of Marmot Precip.....input??
Small Bag for trash
Dr Bonners soap
2 bandanas
baseball hat
Debating between Z pad or prolite. I like the convenience of the prolite fitting in my bag.
MSR Hubba, is a two man worth the weight, or will I be ok with the one man? I'm 5'8 220lbs, pretty well built.
pipe and tobacco.....no i'm not cutting this!!!

cwayman1
10-05-2009, 12:07
Now considering marmot Ion windshirt instead of Marmot Precip.....input??
If you replace your rain jacket with a wind shirt, what are you planning on using for rainwear? And for the precip jacket, my girlfriend used hers about everyday for two weeks straight in New Mexico this summer in complete downpours doing field research. She complained about her tent having loads of condensation, but never her jacket.

pipe and tobacco.....no i'm not cutting this!!!

... nice :D

BobTheBuilder
10-05-2009, 12:21

I'm browsing WB while on a boring conferece call at work and I busted out in inappropriate laughter as soon as I read this. Glad I wasn't sipping my coffee or it could have been a spit take instead of laughter. Best hiking advice I ever read.

skinewmexico
10-05-2009, 15:51
I'll still take a Tarptent over a Hubba Hubba any day. Shoot, I'd take an REI Quarterdome T3 over a Hubba Hubba. Heresy on Whiteblaze though; it's like badmouthing a Thermarest product, or a Jetboil.

Dogwood
10-05-2009, 17:04
You posted this list the other day. Didn't you? I read the thread then and thought Lyle had a lot of great input.

I usually carry all my own gear, but now I see you are hiking with someone else. I'll give you my blah, blah, blah about what I'd do carrying my own gear, and absolutely understand, this is what I'd do, it may not exactly be what's right for you. I'll also assume that you don't have unlimited funds so I'll base what I'm advising to work with what you already own and giving suggestions on what to buy to work with what you already have and that can be incorporated into a light wt. kit in the future. Mostly everyone wants a lite wt. gear kit. Though, some do argue for their heavy kits. You can purchase other gear in the future to lower wt. as you better understand gear and what's best FOR YOU. Just as Lyle stated the other day gear is only a small part of the equation that gets you to the finish line. I've witnessed many successful thru-hikers who didn't have the litest, latest, or most sophisticated gear. It's the intangibles that really determine if you finish. So don't get dismayed if you don't have or don't buy pieces of gear that I or someone else suggests. BTW, these are only suggestions. Nothing that you have in your list is wrong or not doable. I and others are just providing choices.

Most of your debate seems to revolve around clothing. Since you'll be hiking most of the time I'll ask, "what do you want to wear while hiking?" Clothing is also going to play a role when hiking conditions change(wind, heat, rain, etc.). If you go with the MontBell #2 25*sleeping bag for your start in mid March clothing is also going to play a necessary part in extending the temp range of your sleep system.

Also, never underestimate the power of the US postal system. You can mail gear home if you find you don't need it or don't want to carry it or mail gear ahead to yourself while on the trail as you think you will need it. I can't tell you the number of times that I've gone without the wt. and bulk of a piece of gear because I mailed it ahead as hiking conditions dictated.

Reebok Nylon running shorts*** very comfortable, I would save for later as the temps warm though, start out with convertible pants(greater flexibility for the greatly variable weather conditions you'll encounter in mid March and April)

Capilene 2 long bottoms*** can be worn under rainpants or convertible pants for really cold wet days, can also be worn to sleep to keep your bag clean and extend the comfortable sleeping range temp. of your sleep system

Capilene 2 zip top*** I would wear this over my IB tee as my primary hiking clothing during the day, wear with a wool beanie, gloves, and convertibles, add an insulating layer or Marmot PreCip for added warmth or dress down from there as conditions warrant

Ice Breaker tech tee*** Smartwool and IB merino wool tees in various wts. are my go-to hiking shirts that provide the greatest comfort in the widest range of hiking conditions, IMO can be expensive but ultimately versatile, good choice

Mountain Hardwear compression jacket I think you mean MH Compressor jacket, good option as a synthetic(Primaloft) insulating layer, well made, you need a good insulating layer to work with the other gear you have in mind and your start date, you could realistically experience temps in the teens, could be worn to sleep for added warmth, around camp, when you stop hiking, or for those really cold morns for brief periods until you warm up. But since you have not purchased it yet consider a MontBell Thermawrap or MB down jacket. The MB Thermawrap is a synthetic in the same price range as the MH Compressor, provides comparable warmth, has less bulk, and will weigh a few ozs lghter. IMO, the Thermwrap is the better choice.

Marmot Precip Rain jacket*** relatively durable and reliable rain jacket for the AT, you got it go with it, there are lighter wt. more breathable rain jackets on the market, but that's for thought down the road, I would not also carry a wind jacket at the same time as I when I was carrying a heavier(it's not really heavy though, I'm just an ULer) rain jacket like the PreCip, my 7 oz Marmot Mica rain jacket typically is also my wind jacket. If I knew rain was highly unlikely, which is not the case on the AT, I would carry just my Marmot Ion windshirt, I think some get caught up in the rain jacket label and think this piece of gear should only be brought out when it's raining, not so, wear it in the morning when temps are cold/cool or when it's windy, remove once you warm up while hiking, a Marmot Ion isn't WP, it isn't a rain jacket, it's not going to keep you dry, think about that when it's cold, wet, and windy in March and April, carry a WP rain jacket, also consider rainpants at least at the start of your trek when it will be colder, ditch the rainpants later on in the hike when it's warmer and if you don't mind hiking with a wet lower half

Three pairs wool socks.....Bridgedale Trekkers good socks, heavy duty, I never carry more than two pairs of socks

Some type of Insulating Cap Cap....input please Turtle Fur Alpaca Beanie, Smartwool or Possum merino Wool. I feel that if I can keep the extremities warm(hands, feet, head) through accessories I have greater flexibility and variety in managing my core temp. Can also be worn to sleep for that added warmth. I regularly hike in a merino wool tee and shorts when it's 45* or less because I keep my extremities warm by utilizing these accessories. Dress up dress down for comfort and versatility. If you are serious about getting down to that 20 lb base you have to start thinking about eliminating redundant gear and using gear for more than one thing whenever possible

Mountain Hardwear stretch Gloves fine gloves for the AT, wear them first on a cold shakedown hike to see if they are adequate enough for you, you could also get WP mitten shells and/or neoprene gloves(Serius, NPR, etc) which will also insulate when wet or dry or a combination of UL gloves - one that insulates, one that's WP, there are also WP gloves that insulate well, remember if you go with the PreCip it has exterior pockets that you can use for added warmth on cold hiking days, find the system that works best for you

Keen Voyagers Mid*** good comfortable(at least for my feet) supportive protective non-WP mid hiker, I just wore them on a thru-hike of the Sierra High Route. They worked well on all the XC talus and steep passes. However, that was in the Sierras going XC. Unless you have some specific medical reason or you are hauling more than 40 lbs you definitely could go with lighter wt. trail hikers or trail runners. I'm also thinking about you getting cold wet feet in March while wearing shoes that aren't going to dry quickly under AT hiking weather during that time

micro fleece top and bottoms in addition to Capilene for sleeping....over kill???? seems fleece top and/or bottom is overkill just for sleeping, wear the Compressor or Thermawrap to sleep for warmth, wear the PreCip, wool beanie, gloves, double wool socks, convertibles, rainpants, etc. over the Capilene 2 for additional warmth while sleeping, the only need I see for a fleece top is if you like to hike in it on cold days

marmot driclime (already own) in place of compressor jacket??? The driclime(I'm assuming you mean jacket, there are also shirts with the driclime label) is not going to provide the necessary insulation/warmth you are going to need for a mid March start date as a Compressor or Thermawrap

Convertible hiking pants in addition to shorts and Capilene 2??? already mentioned, start with convertibles which will provide the warmth and versatility early on in your hike, wear over Cap 2 bottoms for added warmth, alternatively if you didn't want to tote convertible pants and the weather looks like it is going to get wet then go with the Reebok or Patagonia baggie shorts, Cap 2 bottoms and light wt. breathable rain pants, either way definitely carefully consider carrying rainpants especially early on in your hike when you don't want to be cold and wet

Bacalava? I like the compressible warm versatile wool or Alpaca beanies already mentioned, remember that PreCip also has a hood to keep you warm, one bandana is all you need(you can also wrap the bandana over a wool beanie for a bit added warmth, no ball cap also, not necessary, too many hats, pick hat(s) that do double and triple duty, if you really like bacalavas you should also feel comfortable sleeping and hiking in them, wool bacalavas do provide exceptional warmth

patagonia baggies*** I'm not familar with these shorts, but choose to wear two shorts and maybe rainpants in summer, hauling two pair shorts early on in your hike is overkill

-Stove
jet boil has received much press for it's convenience and design;they deserve much of it, but I think they are too heavy and bulky, however it may work for you since you can share gear with who your hiking partner, if you and your hiking partner are each carrying a stove and since you have not purchased this yet consider an alchy(really very few parts, cheap, compact, easy to find fuel, however you have to experiment with how much fuel you use to haul just the right amt.), MSR Pocket Rocket, or Snow Peak Giga or similar type UL isobutane stove, this would also work and in the future if you should decide to solo hike as you are not carrying the heavier Jet Boil, you could also share one lighter wt. stove and have separate Ti pots or use one slightly larger Ti cooking pot and carry an expandable UL eating dish, IMO, DON'T spend the extra money for the fragile piezo lighter options on some stoves that brek so readily

-Pack
Ula catalyst great light wt. choice

-poles
NO IDEA!!! Rarely use trekking poles and when I do I doubt you would want to spend the kind of money that I do on the lightest UL poles

-headlamp
princeton tech*** got it use it, good to go

-tent
got it use it, good to go, in the future look for a lighter wt. 3 season solo or 2 man shelter

-sleeping bag
montbell ss#2 -also considering jacksrbetter quilt Montbell, as well as Western Mountaineering, Marmot, and Feathered Friends make some of the lightest highest quality accurately temp. rated sleeping bags I've used. Some great quilt makers like JRB and Nunatak also available. I don't normally use quilts in colder weather because I don't think they suit my tossing and turning side sleeping and bivy hiking style. If you go with the MB #2 25* sleeping bag and you are a cold sleeper be prepared, even if sleeping in a tent with someone else, to wear extra sleeping layers for your mid March start date. You may also feel a bit warm in July, Aug, and early Sept with a 25 *bag. In summer unzip or drape the bag over you or spend more doremi for a summer bag. MB SS bags are great light wt. bags for those who toss and turn or want extra wiggle room while sleeping. They also compress quite small.

-pad
thermarest prolite or Z pad fine, but for the most comfortable insulated compact lightest wt. sleep pad/mattress in one package the Neo Air gets my vote, however, the NeoAir is not cheap and it needs some TLC as it's an UL piece of gear, I've found that the Z pads flatten out with time so they don't provide the sleeping comfort or insulating properties as when new

Up to you but I wouldn't haul the bulky Katahdin and Aqua Mira. I've gotten along just fine with Aqua Mira 2 part liquid or tablets for purifying water for over 14 K trail miles throughout the U.S.

One water bottle(about 1 L) while hiking and one 2.4 L Platy for camp or between long water sources should be all the water capacity you will ever need on the AT. The AT has somewhat reg. well documented reliable water sources. No need to carry to much water. especially early in the season.

The AT is generally a forested trail. It's not always a very sunny trail. I would leave the visored hat and sunscreen at home unless you have a medical reason like an allergy to the sun.

jbrecon2
10-05-2009, 21:46
thank you so much for all your valued input dogwood and others. i realize you are all offering your opinions, and luckily that is all im asking for. there is alot of gear out there that i have read about but never used. its great to be able to hear opinions of people who have used it, and who have used it in the places where i will be needing it. i feel the sense of community already, and i gather that is what was intended for this site.

a few more questions......
-suggestions for an efficient easy to use alcohol stove
-aqua mira drops....there were times when i hiked in virginia that it seemed it would be difficult to fill a bottle or bladder without a filter. i.e. shallow water source.
-has anyone used protein supplements? i read an article on here by a thru hiker that wished he had in retrospect.
-i've heard alot of hiker suggest mid height hiking shoes as opposed to trail runners because of lack of support especially at the end of the day when you are prone to twisting an ankle because of fatigue?

Tinker
10-05-2009, 21:53
Hey thanks everyone for you input, it is so helpful. Tinker I'm definately going to take a serious look at that marmot windshirt, I had never heard of it.

I want to make it clear that this isn't a rain barrier. Take this in addition to the Precip.
http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/appareldetail.cfm/MA4198

Spokes
10-05-2009, 23:21
a few more questions......
-suggestions for an efficient easy to use alcohol stove
-aqua mira drops....there were times when i hiked in virginia that it seemed it would be difficult to fill a bottle or bladder without a filter. i.e. shallow water source.
-has anyone used protein supplements? i read an article on here by a thru hiker that wished he had in retrospect.
-i've heard alot of hiker suggest mid height hiking shoes as opposed to trail runners because of lack of support especially at the end of the day when you are prone to twisting an ankle because of fatigue?

Here's some alcohol stove links for you to check out. Zen stoves is a wonderful resource for the do-it-yourself hiker. For the store bought type consider an Etowah (preferred) or the venerable Trangia stove (a little heavier).

http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm

http://www.etowahoutfittersultralightbackpackinggear.com/Alcoholstoves.html

http://www.greatoutdoorsdepot.com/trangia-stoves.html

I was a former filter guy and decided to use Aqua Mira on this years thru hike. It was the best decision I made and had absolutely no problems getting water from shallow sources. I carried a Gatorade bottle.

Can't help you with the protein supplement question but I did take a daily multi-vitamin and believed it helped offset the poor hiker diet.

Shoes are all preference. I tried trail runners (Vasgue Velocitys'- YUK!!) but switched back the Keen Targhee II mid hiking boot with blue Superfeet inserts. Never got one blister!

All the Best,

Spokes

Doooglas
10-07-2009, 06:09
Go over here and get a blue torch kit
http://ultralightdesigns.com/products/cooking/alcohol_stoves.html
Trail " shoes" ???
Get yourself a pair of Haix P6 and be done with it.You may want an insulated boot towards the north.I haven't lived or packed in a seriously cold climate in 30 years so read lots of reviews.The boots I would recommend haven't been made since 1978.Backpack gear test dot org is a pretty good site.Unlike the crap lies in magazines, they tell it like it is. Trailspace is pretty good too.
I've seen so many injuries of the ankles it's mind boggling.Shoes are for tennis players and office boys.

Consider a Hammock for the AT.Think about it. Wander into the woods and see where you can pitch a tent that is comfortable ? Yeah. There are spots along the AT if you want to camp with others.You know.
" Oh dude , my rolling papers got wet".at 11PM:rolleyes:
With a hammock you can head 50 yards into the woods and be alone....and invisible.

Skip the protein supplements.That's another scam. Been there. Done that.:mad:

Do 200 full squats once per week with very little weight. Either a bare bar or a couple of 5 lb dumbbells over your head to keep your back straight.Do them. It takes 2 minutes to do 50.Thats right. Only once a week.

Do shrugs.As many as you can with about 30 to 50 lbs in each hand.Buckets full of water do fine.
3 sets in a row, to failure,twice per week .Every 4 or 5 days. Forget the punishment the brainwashed blunders gave you in boot camp. Been there, done that too.
If your traps are right you can shift your pack load more to the shoulders on long steep climbs.
Here is how that is done.
staging.kelty.com/kelty/pdf/Packs/ACF650.pdf

Pura Vida !
4 AM. Gotta get my gear to take a group to Rio Celeste this morning.:cool: