PDA

View Full Version : pleaswe critique my packing list

jbrecon2
10-03-2009, 01:06
Here is a tenative list of some things i was thinking of packing for a NOBO thru starting in mid march. Please feel free to critique!!! having been in the Army for 12 years and section hiked 300 miles in Virginia I know the importance of good gear, however i havent spent a night in the wilderness since 2005!! i'm trying to go as light as possible..... 20 pounds base???

*** = items i already own

Reebok Nylon running shorts***
Capilene 2 long bottoms***
Capilene 2 zip top***
Ice Breaker tech tee***
Mountain hardwear compression jacket
Marmot Precip Rain jacket***
Three pairs wool socks.....Bridgedale Trekkers
Some type of Insulating Cap Cap....input please
Mountain Hardwear stretch Gloves
Keen Voyagers Mid***

-Items i'm not sure about.

micro fleece top and bottoms in addition to Capilene for sleeping....over kill????
marmot driclime (already own) in place of compressor jacket???
Convertible hiking pants in addition to shorts and Capilene 2???
Bacalava?
patagonia baggies***

-Stove
jet boil

-Pack
Ula catalyst

-poles
NO IDEA!!!

-headlamp
princeton tech***

-tent
ll bean microlight 2*** -also considering msr hubba, tarptent rainbow

-sleeping bag
montbell ss#2 -also considering jacksrbetter quilt

-pad
thermarest prolite or Z pad

tammons
10-03-2009, 10:18
You can easily hit a 15# base or less.

Just off the top I would say..

You need an extra pair of johns to start out with. One to wear, one for sleeping.

Driclime alone wont be enough. You need an insulating layer. Might as well get one with a hood, like a montbell thermawrap. I am carrying a SUL vest too at about 5oz.

How about rain pants or at least driduck bottoms. - 4oz
Its going to be cold in march. You could send them back or toss them.

Fleece is too heavy for the warmth provided IMO unless you just like it
Get another pair of johns.
Fleece will be too heavy in summer.

If you are going to try to extend your MB #2 down to 0DF you will probably need to wear an insulated bottom. Send it back as soon as it warms up. I found some insul ski pants at the salvation army the other day. They are really too small for me. Large - 14 oz. Send me $5 plus shipping and you can have them. PM me if interested. More importantly you will need more pad early on. I am carrying a blue pad and a neoair.

Convertible hiking pants, yes, but maybe skip the shorts.
One pair of convertable pants and a shirt for hiking.
One set of clean dry clothes for camp.

Bacalava if you ditch the beanie

You can do a complete alcohol bag cook set for about 4 oz

GG Adjustable carbon fiber hiking poles - 4 oz ea.

The bean microlight looks like a decent tent with a little vestibule.
I would want a side entry with a tent that small. Probably will get the interior wet when entering unless you take a small tarp. Tarptent is probably better. If you want SUL you could get the one at 1#4oz since you will have hiking poles to support it.

Montbell ss#2 is a good bag. I upgraded my #2 to a #1 and less insul clothes. I believe there are quite a few people using this bag. Its a good one.

Besides that you will probably want a
Ground cloth or a footprint
Pack cover
Pack liner bag
Maybe a bug net
Go back through your clothing list
Make sure your gloves are good enough for a march start.
You might want waterproof mitt shells to keep you hands dry if you intend to hik in the rain. Made from a tyvek envelop would work.
Rain Hat or some sort of rain/sun hat.

I did not see anything for a cook kit. I am using this one. I actually have 3 different setups.
A 1 cup, 2 cup or 3 cup all about the same.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=24102

Did not see a food bag for hanging food. Dont want a bear in your tent.

Catagories that are missing. Some people dont carry to much of this stuff but its worth giving some thought to...

Hydration is missing
Hygene is missing
Every day stuff is missing
Navagation is missing
Medical is missing
Emergency/survival pack is missing

If you want to go through my list. Might give you some ideas. Some things have changed since...

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ArT1lVGeXD9EdGJLenZGZlZqZkR5WEliU2dhZk1wM lE&hl=en

Lyle
10-03-2009, 10:49
Let me start by saying that nothing in your post has struck me as outlandishly inappropriate. That is the danger of these gear critiques. It implies that gear is the most important issue when planning a long hike. While you need adequate gear, there are as many options and opinions on what this is to actually make a simple process difficult.

Much more important is motivation, attitude, and flexibility.

That said, here are my comments. None are meant to imply that what you have chosen wouldn't work, but just to offer my opinion on what I have found to work well for me.

Here is a tenative list of some things i was thinking of packing for a NOBO thru starting in mid march. Please feel free to critique!!! having been in the Army for 12 years and section hiked 300 miles in Virginia I know the importance of good gear, however i havent spent a night in the wilderness since 2005!! i'm trying to go as light as possible..... 20 pounds base???

*** = items i already own

Reebok Nylon running shorts*** I like zip-off pants now. More options, but I wore running shorts for many years - they are light, but you need to also carry some type of long pants, so the weight advantage is somewhat neutralized.
Capilene 2 long bottoms***
Capilene 2 zip top***
Ice Breaker tech tee***
Mountain hardwear compression jacket Not familiar with this, assume it's an insulating layer.
Marmot Precip Rain jacket*** I like Frogg Toggs, and more recently have gone back to a non-breathable rain jacket [Syl-nylon Brawny Gear Pull-over (4 0z) with a ULA Rain Wrap (~3 0z)]
Three pairs wool socks.....Bridgedale Trekkers
Some type of Insulating Cap Cap....input please For most all three-season I go with a very light but medium thick acrylic knit cap. I find it very comfortable to sleep in, and it continues to work when damp, dries quickly. For winter, I usually bring a wool knit balaclava in addition. I've tried fleece hats and balaclavas, but they tend to cause chapping when worn long-term while damp. In really cold weather, you will almost never take your hat off, so this is a real issue.
Mountain Hardwear stretch Gloves Not familiar with these. I like a pair of liner gloves (currently silk) and a light-weight pair of wool or acrylic gloves for moderate cold (teens). For real cold (single digit and below) I prefer medium weight wool gloves with nylon overmitts. These combinations give me great flexibility and allow removing the outer glove to do delicate camp chores, while still offering some short-term protection.
Keen Voyagers Mid*** Not familiar.

-Items i'm not sure about.

micro fleece top and bottoms in addition to Capilene for sleeping....over kill???? Depends entirely on you and your bag. I have a decent bag, so I'm comfortable sleeping in silk long johns - mostly to keep the bag cleaner. I would suggest not sleeping in the same base layer that you hike in. It will help to keep you bag cleaner and drier, besides, it's just nice to get into relatively clean and totally dry clothes for sleep. For added warmth while sleeping, consider down booties - GREAT when really cold, and extra insulating pad before adding a bunch of extra layers. Again this will depend on what bag you are using.
marmot driclime (already own) in place of compressor jacket??? I've heard mixed reviews of these, no personal experience.
Convertible hiking pants in addition to shorts and Capilene 2??? My opinion: they will replace the shorts, not the Capilene.
Bacalava? Real nice when it's real cold or for sleeping. I would get a lighter weight one if it's mostly for sleeping. Also note the comments about the fleece above. Your experience may be different.
patagonia baggies*** Not familiar.
-Stove
jet boil Too heavy and bulky for my money. In real cold, white gas is best, other times, alcohol is great for a solo hiker. Of course, it all depends on what you consider cooking.

-Pack
Ula catalyst Primo choice!!! I use a P2 and couldn't be happier.

-poles
NO IDEA!!! STRONGLY RECOMMEND Pacer Poles!!! Unique and very effective design. More comfortable than traditional poles.

http://www.pacerpole.co.uk/

-headlamp
princeton tech*** I've had great results with a Petzl e-Lite. Been using it for about 4 years, just changed my batteries for the first time. Wouldn't recommend if you plan a lot of night hiking, but is sufficient for reading, camp chores, hanging your food, and occasional night hiking.

http://www.botachtactical.com/peehe.html

-tent
ll bean microlight 2*** -also considering msr hubba, tarptent rainbow My choice was the Gossamer Gear "The One" - happy with it. Also use the Six Moon "Wild Oasis" sometimes.

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/The_One.html?id=t7Q4XrdF:76.226.108.76

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=48

-sleeping bag
montbell ss#2 -also considering jacksrbetter quilt Might be a bit cold some nights early on, but these are great products. Test them out ahead of time if possible. You want to be able to get a good night's sleep most nights - very important. Plus, your sleeping bag is your final refuge in an emergency.

-pad
thermarest prolite or Z pad I use a Prolite now, more comfortable than the cheap closed cell pads - tough getting old! Considering the NeoAire. Have talked to several folks who really like em.

Good Luck and HAVE FUN!!!!

Tipi Walter
10-03-2009, 11:09
I notice you are from New Jersey and I'd recommend you take your kit outside around the house/apartment and start sleeping in the yard as the temps get colder, especially in December and January.

Mid-March in the southern appalachians can be as cold as a toad's bunghole and you'll see snow and some teens and single digits and some cold windstorms. For this reason I'd take a zero down bag or subzero, and a beefier sleeping pad. Keep the Prolite and the Montbell for late spring and summer.

Hiking clothing is not as critical as in-camp clothing, and for this I'd recommend either a heavier fleece jacket or a down vest or down jacket. Or just stay in your tent on the pad and covered by the bag. I was on a trip 2 years ago at around 5,000 feet and saw snow on April 30th.

DaveJohns
10-03-2009, 13:44
/me takes notes.