PDA

View Full Version : Hello There From A New Guy

sasha
10-04-2009, 01:43
I been reading the posts on here for a while. If you guys and gals dont mind helping me out. Im sure you heard that before. I want to lose some weight. So here is my story. Right now i use a kelty west coast pack. I carry most of the time about 45lb+ with everything. I dont go backpacking as much as i wish with work and life. When i do go i like to do 3-7 days. A couple of months ago i went with a group on an over night and one guy had about 16lb including everything. While hiking up a steep trail open to the sun i were sweating and had to stop often and him just walking and having fun. So here is my thing i would love to lose atlist 15lb, more if i can. Im a cold sleeper so i got a 15deg bag(3lb.7oz) which was too hot on a last hike. I use a Svea123 stove and might still be using in on longer hikes but for shorter hikes im planning on soda can stove. Im the kind of a guy that just have to carry a paperback book to read or im in a survival mode, Which means a headlamp and extra battries. I been looking at many bags and i cant make my mind. I like the Golite pinnacle at 2lb and the Quest at 3.3lb. It seems the Quest has better support and more comfortable to carry the weight. Is it worth that extra 1.3lb??? My plan is to go down to 20lb or less for one or two nights. but i would still like to use it for longer hikes as well. For warmer weather im looking for a light weight sleeping bag under 1.5lb. I hope i didnt go on too long. I understand that having 2-3 packs might solve everything but i got to spend my money wisely so one pack to do everything.

Sasha

jesse
10-04-2009, 02:03
sasha, welcome to whiteblaze.

You have come to the right place. You will get lots of ideas, just find the ones that work for you. I started backpacking about 5 years ago. Was at 40+lbs and miserable.
What worked for me both financial and weight wise was making my own gear. I discovered Ray Jardine's website, and made bags, tarps, and quilts for me and my son. The longest hike I have done so far was 50 miles, carrying 16lbs.
My advice; focus on the big 4, and then look to cut out stuff you don't need.

Wise Old Owl
10-04-2009, 02:23
Well you could review an old thread "whats in your big four" Swev stoves are dead weight today (great 20 years ago) and bags are down to one pound.... There is just too much to discuss in one thread. And we are just getting warmed up. Tarps shelters lightweight tents.... Its all here.

sasha
10-04-2009, 02:37
Im thinking of making my own quilt for warmer weather and i were playing around with some stuff and i think that for warm weather i can get it down to around 20lb. Mind you there are some things i wont leave behind lol like books camera and tripod.
Im just not sure if the quest support is much better for the extra weight.
How would you compare the quest to the pinnacle??? I read so much about the ULA and and starlight... Just like everyone else who is new to this im at a lose on what to get lol... Hope you all can bear with me.. I do tend to ask alot of Qs.

Sasha

Lyle
10-04-2009, 03:14
WELCOME!!!!!

I agree, start with the big four. I would recommend ULA packs, probably either the Catalyst or Circuit. These are great packs, fairly light weight, and very durable. Everyone who owns one seems to love them. The company is closed right now until Dec. 1st - don't worry about that, it's normal. Just keep in mind, the bigger pack you have, the easier it is to carry the kitchen sink - not a good thing.

Sleeping bag, if budget requires, many folks are very happy with the Campmore 20* down bag. Not the lightest, but much better than your current 3# 7 oz. If you can afford it, get a top of the line right off the bat. It will serve you very well for years to come. Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends are excellent bags, Montbelle and Marmot also offer great bags for the most part. You should be able to get substantially below 2 lbs for summer bags and right around 2 lbs for three season if you spend the money.

Shelter, learning to use a tarp will be your lightest option. If you can't convince yourself that you will like it, then one of the many good single wall tents from TarpTent, Six Moon Design, Gossamer Gear, or others would work well. By trying a tarp first, you will learn some great principles that will serve you well with any shelter you later decide on. Give yourself some time to learn to use a tarp efficiently, it does take some research, practice and trial and error.

Stove, while I love my Svea used it exclusively for almost 30 years, and still use it for winter hikes, I have to strongly agree that there are lighter options today. Namely a pepsi can alcohol stove. Cheap too, and great for a solo hiker.

Boots: NO - Trail Runners: YES! Especially once you get your pack weight down into the 20-30# range.

After that, tackle your clothing. Wool and fleece are heavy and bulky compared to down or primaloft garments. PolyPro base layers are available at K-Mart or Walmart for low prices. Silk base layers, though more expensive, are VERY light. Frogg Toggs or DriDucks are relatively inexpensive, light, and work well. Most folks can leave the bottoms home during the summer. I've recently gone back to non-breathing raingear, since none of the breathable stuff really prevents moisture from sweating anyway. My current silnylon rain jacket weighs 4 oz and my RainWrap from ULA is under 4 oz.

Petzl e-Lite works great for me and is VERY light weight. Plenty of light for reading and camp chores, adequate for an occasional night hike. If you plan a lot of night hiking, there are better, heavier options. Battery life is great, and extra batteries are light and relatively easy to get if you plan ahead a bit. I've used mine for about four years now, and have just replaced the batteries for the first time.

Ongoing during your quest to lighten your pack, judiciously evaluate each item you put into your pack. How many of them have never been used? How many serve duplicate functions? How many could be improvised if they were actually needed? How many have lighter alternatives? Most of us never get done with this process.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!

Spokes
10-04-2009, 10:42
Good to meet you Sasha!

Keep it simple and think "systems". Here's a great article to get you started:

http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659

Be sure to read the breakdown on page 4.

Good luck,

-Spokes

Wise Old Owl
10-04-2009, 11:00
Im thinking of making my own quilt for warmer weather and i were playing around with some stuff and i think that for warm weather i can get it down to around 20lb. Mind you there are some things i wont leave behind lol like books camera and tripod.
Im just not sure if the quest support is much better for the extra weight.
How would you compare the quest to the pinnacle??? I read so much about the ULA and and starlight... Just like everyone else who is new to this im at a lose on what to get lol... Hope you all can bear with me.. I do tend to ask alot of Qs.

Sasha

They are very close to how they are made, I prefer the flip top of the quest to keep weather out and essentials from floating deep in the pack, Stuff that requires to be grabbed quick are in the lid pocket. The Pinnicle does not have the top pocket. Consider your size, amount of gear in Cubic space, Go to a store that stocks it and try it on for comfort. Ask questions. I also like the hip belt pockets that are sewn in. Very handy, I would still take a small digital camera.

nox
10-04-2009, 12:26
i made the mistake of buying a pack first then replacing my equipment, only to find that i needed a different pack to fit my gear, you might want to swap out your bag, pad, and tent first so you don't end up buying a second pack. or you can force yourself to buy smaller, lighter by getting the pack first.. just a thought

sasha
10-04-2009, 13:31
Thank you guys for the help. Im going to read the article next...Start on my Soda stove next week. That alone should save me about 2lb. Thanks again.

Sasha

Feral Bill
10-04-2009, 14:35
I have to disagree on the SVEA issue. The stove is a bit over a pound, but allows you to cook real food of all sorts and have plenty of hot water for personal sanitation. Long term, it is very cheap to run, figuring its initial cost is spread over several decades. It is also extremely reliable.

On a recent trip I used the SVEA and other light but far from ultralight gear and only carried 35 pounds including seven days food and fuel plus a liter of water. Probably less than 20 pounds base. If I went as light as possible, I could have saved a few pounds by going cookless, tarping, using a lighter sleeping bag and treating water chemically, but I would have been eaten by bugs, less well fed and had to wait for my water to disinfect in blazing hot weather.

So, don't reject the SVEA if it suits you. It's weight is not that bad, especially compared to other white gas stoves.

Light is good, but is not everything.

Summit
10-04-2009, 17:26
If I went as light as possible, I could have saved a few pounds by going cookless, tarping, using a lighter sleeping bag and treating water chemically, but I would have been eaten by bugs, less well fed and had to wait for my water to disinfect in blazing hot weather.Summit likes this! :) To me, hiking has always been about enjoying one's self, not self-denial to see how lite one can travel. That's why I choose middle ground between shouldering a lazy boy recliner and a 15 lb pack. YMMV, HYOH, etc. :-?

sasha
10-04-2009, 19:11
Hi Feral Bill, Im not going to get rid of the Svea it has never failed me before. Many years ago backpacking in the high sierra above 11,000ft. One evening i had two guys walk over asking if they can boil some water with my stove. What ever stove they had wouldnt work at the elevation and the temp of the evening. That time i used an old Russian copy of the hunter R8. But for an over night I were thinking of using a Soda can stove.
Summit i agree with you 100%. I dont want to go so light weight were i dont enjoy the evening camp. I think if i can get it down to 20-25lb pack including everything i should be o.k on all sides. Wish there was a way to handle the packs cloths and everything else before you buy it... Im reading as much as i can and this site has lots of info.. Me likey.

Sasha

shelterbuilder
10-04-2009, 21:35
:welcome, sasha.

I agree with Summit - getting out is supposed to be about enjoying yourself, NOT depriving yourself. But concentrate on getting your Big Four down as light as you're comfortable with, and make everything else do as many things as possible. (BTW, there's nothing wrong with carrying a paperback book - you can always use the pages that you've read as firestarting material!:rolleyes:)

Thirty-five years ago (when I started backpacking), I carried - I'm ashamed to admit it - well over 60 pounds for a 2 week trip...and was half-dead at the end of every day. Now, if I carry 35 pounds on a summer trip, it feels really heavy (and that's not because I'm getting older;)). My equipment works FOR ME in the places where I hike. I'm always trying new things, and if I find something that I think will work better and be lighter, I add it and remove something else.

Buy your pack last, and buy one that JUST fits all of the equipment that you'll need for the roughest conditions that you'll encounter. That way, you won't be tempted to carry a lot of extra stuff that you don't need. And I agree with Lyle - Campmor has some very serviceable equipment, fast shipping, and reasonable prices - and their "hot deals" can save you even more money. (No, I don't work for Campmor.)

sasha
10-06-2009, 00:28
O.k guys if you dont mind me asking what are the main four ??? i heard of the main three, Pack, Sleeping bag, tent. so what is the fourth one??? What do you consider a good weight for the sleeping bag at around 30deg for summer time.??? Im going to put off the pack for now. As the advice givin and work on the sleeping bag and a home made stove. Right now im working more for summer time set up. But been looking at the golite quest. Six moons starlight, Ula Catalyst.

Sasha

warraghiyagey
10-06-2009, 00:31
sleeping pad

skinewmexico
10-06-2009, 00:45
You might consider purchasing the "Lighten Up" DVD from Gossamer Gear, it's kind of hard core, but it sure gets you thinking about systems, and multiple use gear. I have a Golite Pinnacle, and it's huge, and easy to overload. Get too much weight, and you'll feel it start to buckle in the middle, and the weight go to your shoulders. Good pack, but better if you're really light, and carrying light, but bulky gear. I really like my ULA Catalyst, but it's too big for weekend trips. My ULA Circuit is perfect for weekends, and 4-5 day trips. Maybe even longer, never tried that though.

Trooper
10-12-2009, 16:06
Make a priority list, get weights of those items, and then try to find ways to cut weight by eliminating unnecessary items or finding lighter alternatives. I realized I used to carry more clothes, water, food, etc... than what I really needed. Here are things I've been doing.....

I am replacing my 4lb synthetic sleeping bag with a much lighter <2lb down bag. I am replacing my 4lb 2-man tent with a 1-man Tarptent Moment that weights <2lbs. I am replacing my 5.75lb external frame backpack with a ULA Circuit that weighs just over 2lbs. Just by replacing my main gear alone I am dropping about 8lbs. I have already done other stuff like minimizing my cooking gear by just using the cook pot from my mess kit, using a long plastic spoon instead of packing metal utensil set, using an aluminum alcohol stove, and only bringing gear i know i'll need and use during my trips.

Shutterbug
10-13-2009, 00:32
I been reading the posts on here for a while. If you guys and gals dont mind helping me out. Im sure you heard that before. I want to lose some weight. So here is my story. Right now i use a kelty west coast pack. I carry most of the time about 45lb+ with everything. I dont go backpacking as much as i wish with work and life. When i do go i like to do 3-7 days. A couple of months ago i went with a group on an over night and one guy had about 16lb including everything. While hiking up a steep trail open to the sun i were sweating and had to stop often and him just walking and having fun. So here is my thing i would love to lose atlist 15lb, more if i can. Im a cold sleeper so i got a 15deg bag(3lb.7oz) which was too hot on a last hike. I use a Svea123 stove and might still be using in on longer hikes but for shorter hikes im planning on soda can stove. Im the kind of a guy that just have to carry a paperback book to read or im in a survival mode, Which means a headlamp and extra battries. I been looking at many bags and i cant make my mind. I like the Golite pinnacle at 2lb and the Quest at 3.3lb. It seems the Quest has better support and more comfortable to carry the weight. Is it worth that extra 1.3lb??? My plan is to go down to 20lb or less for one or two nights. but i would still like to use it for longer hikes as well. For warmer weather im looking for a light weight sleeping bag under 1.5lb. I hope i didnt go on too long. I understand that having 2-3 packs might solve everything but i got to spend my money wisely so one pack to do everything.

Sasha

Over the past several years I have reduced my pack weight by about 15 lbs. by gradually replacing my gear with lighter gear. I have learned that it costs about $100 per lb. I gained 1 1/2 lb with a down sleeping bag -- 2 lbs with a lighter tent -- 1 lb with cook wear, etc.

Doctari
10-13-2009, 18:11
How started to loose pack weight:

I bought a scale that weighs to the 1/16 of an OZ, weighed EVERYTHING and kept a log. It's amazing how fast 16 Oz adds up to a pound.

I also kept a log of what I did not use on my trips, if it didn't get used, it got tossed when I got home. And, I still do that. Don't fall into the trap of "Well, I'm carrying it, may as well use it" as my friend did to justify carrying a full sized axe.

Some weight losses do cost a lot. But I lost 7 Oz by switching from a Nalgene to a used Gatorade bottle. Then dropped another 1 Oz by going to a smaller Gatorade bottle. :D

Try to have all of your gear INSIDE your pack. I do try, not always successful, but what I hang outside is for convenience*, not because there isn't anymore room in my pack.

A smaller pack (within limits) will "force" you to cut gear.

Save space for an extra day's food, ie: you plan on a max of 4 days between supply, but suddenly discover that you miscalculated & it's an extra day to your next supply (Injury, Illness, Great views, Cool hiking group / partner, etc), this may cause you to cut additional weight / bulk.

I weighed my tee shirts: by changing from one to another, I saved a full Ounce.

tammons
10-13-2009, 18:34
The simplest way IMO to start going UL is to target your big 4 weight at 6#.

2# sleeping bag
1.5# tent or tarp and bivy, tarptent contrail or moment, the one, gatewood cape and bug tent etc etc.
1# or less sleeping pad
1.5# pack

That will immediately cut out a lot of the equipment you should not be looking at.

6# big 4 leaves you with 6# for everything else and you end up with a 12# base weight. Add 2# for winter.

12# base plus 13# for food and 2 qts of h20 for 5 days and you are at 25#.

Buy a good scale and weigh everything.

I would start out with a lighter sleeping bag and pad first, followed by a tent like a GG "the one", gatewood cape, tarptent or a tarp and bivy.

Bag soda can cookset asap. You can do this for under 4oz total and its almost free.

Clothing next. This can get expensive depending, but I have found some decent stuff at the salvation army. Not really in the UL class though.

Buy a pack last when you know how much volume you need.

tammons
10-13-2009, 19:15
If you want a light and easy to make cook kit click the link below.
I have been working on these for a while.

I prefer the 2 cupper, but if you dont want to screw around
with cutting a couple of cans the 1 cup or 3 cup uses a full
can for a pot.

The one cupper is perfect for overnight or a day pack and is tiny.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=906674#post906674

sheepdog
10-13-2009, 19:35
I make a list of everything I take with me. If I don't use the stuff after a couple trips, it goes off the list. Work on your gear a little at a time. One thing you can't buy is fitness. No matter how much you're carrying if you are fit, it is easier to do.

sasha
10-14-2009, 01:02
Thank you guys for all the info. So i put the pack for last. Hunting for a light bag and light weight cloths. Repacked my pack and found that most of the room is taken by cloths. I tend to get cold when i sleep or if i sit for a long time. So im looking at light weight cloths that would keep me warm. Going to check REI this week as they got a 20%sale.