PDA

View Full Version : Bears and varmints in North GA

homer_at
10-04-2009, 07:17
I will be hiking from Neals Gap to Springer this month( Oct) . I have read and heard that the bears and perhaps squirrels are sometimes pretty crafty about getting into your hung food bags and even the bags hung from the bear cables at shelters in GA. This spring the section north of Neals Gap was closed to camping for while due to frequent encounters. But I also recall that maybe this thievery is less in the fall. I purchased some of the odor-blocking zip lock bags.I plan to use the bear cables or suspend my bag at the junction of two ropes, between two trees, well off the ground. So I would be interested in hearing from others about shelters with known animal trouble and anti-squirrel techniques, etc.
Thanks
Homer_at

Egads
10-04-2009, 07:57
Leave all pack pockets open just in case some varmint wants in and it doesn't feel the need to chew it's way in.

FatMan
10-04-2009, 08:16
Bears in the Suches area have been very active. I've seen four bears in the 10 days, three in the area of the AT. The berry season for the bears around here has been bad, so the bears are all over looking for food. Saw two on the trail by Justice Mtn, (may have been the same), saw one walking up my neighbors driveway off Cooper Gap Road, and even saw a small one walking down the middle of US19 at Yahoola Rd on Friday afternoon. He was coming right towards us so I slowed down and the bear came to within 15-20 yards of my car before running off. All the bears I've ever seen have been moving away. This was really pretty cool to be able look right into the bears face.

Yesterday at the Woody Gap Indian Summer Festival I heard of many other recent bear sightings by residents in the area.

So yes, take good care of your food while out there. Don't sweat it though, enjoy the fact you have a good chance of seeing a bear. Fact is you most likely will only see their butts running from you.

Spokes
10-04-2009, 10:32
At leasts 3 NOBO's I know of had their "bear bagged" food stolen just north of Neels Gap this year. Keep your eyes peeled!

dreamsoftrails
10-04-2009, 10:59
At leasts 3 NOBO's I know of had their "bear bagged" food stolen just north of Neels Gap this year. Keep your eyes peeled!
well, how is one going to 'bear bag' his food and then complain when a bear bags it and runs??!!

Dogwood
10-04-2009, 13:46
Bears in the Suches area have been very active.

I also wonder if bears realize that humans have been very active in the area. Do bears have these same discussions about humans? Do they say to each other, "if it flies or walks on four legs good, if it walks on two legs bad." Do they say, "those varmints on two legs are destroying the forests, polluting the air and water, killing the creatures, not living in balance with all life, and disrespecting our home?" Do the bears say, "hum, what's that smell? Someone just entered my home with something that smells like I may be able to eat it so I can sustain my 300 lb body. We have a need to survive too."

To put it into perspective, I wonder what I would do if strangers entered my house and sat down in my living room with two fresh hot pizzas on a Sunday afternoon while I was watching the ballgame! Would it also be labeled as thievery if I snuck a slice or I was considered a problem if I was inquisitive about who these strangers were or where those delicious smells were emanating from? Would I also be a "varmint" if I snatched a slice(or two or three) if the strangers wouldn't give me any pizza? Would I then be labeled as a problem human or as an "opportunistic human that is causing a problem?" Would I then be seen as "a threat?" Would I then be exterminated or relocated? Should I just go about watching the ballgame while trying to ignore my hunger pains and those strangers in my home? Would the bears finally be content when no more humans existed to interfere with their natural instincts?

Use the double bear bagging method, bear hangers or wire cables provided in some areas, or carry a bear proof canister if the bears concern you. The odor proof Alosak bags will also help or eliminate problems. Don't cook where you sleep or have set up camp. Be aware any odors, not only from food, but also from insect repellent, personal hygiene products, sunscreen, lip balm, on cookware, etc. will attract bears with their keen sense of smell. Use mouse hangers in shelters to confound the smaller climbing rodents like mice, rats, and squirrels. A bear canister will work to keep all critters from getting at your food and also give you something to sit on.

Trailweaver
10-04-2009, 16:34
I used the bear cables at Blue Mt. shelter 4 weeks ago and hung all my food. Next morning, I discovered mice (?) had eaten all my gorp. . . chewed thru the plastic bag (thankfully not the backpack) they were in. I wouldn't have thought they could get to it, but they did somehow. How else might I have protected my food stash?

energy_turtle
10-04-2009, 16:57
I hiked from Dicks Creek Gap down to Amicalola Falls this week and had no food stolen. I did see two bears 1 mile north of Hogpen Gap (6.5 miles north of Neel Gap)

Dances with Mice
10-04-2009, 18:39
.... Next morning, I discovered mice (?) had eaten all my gorp. . . chewed thru the plastic bag (thankfully not the backpack) they were in. Not mice. Their cousins, the flying squirrels.

cowpoke
10-04-2009, 21:21
Hiked Woody Gap to Springer and Unicoi Gap to Dick's creed Gap this week.....encountered a bear at Hawk Mtn Shelter area and one near Indian Grave gap area.

Trailwind
10-04-2009, 23:46
Spring, fall, bears North of Neals Gap are definitely interested in packs and tents year round. Chased one away from the tent 3 times only to wake up with the bear a few inches away from my face sniffing and snorting around 4am.

Trailweaver
10-04-2009, 23:51
RE: "not mice". . . well, that was my thought too, but the scat was in the bag and left on an apple they'd chewed. It was too small to have been anything else, I thought. Yes, I know it seems impossible, but other campers had left notes about it in the shelter log too.

mister krabs
10-05-2009, 09:47
Spring, fall, bears North of Neals Gap are definitely interested in packs and tents year round. Chased one away from the tent 3 times only to wake up with the bear a few inches away from my face sniffing and snorting around 4am.

I think i would soil my jammies if that happened to me.

Rambler
10-08-2009, 14:42
I have used a homemade sling shot to help get my hanging lines higher up into the trees than I can throw. The "Latex tubing" can be found in the plumbing section at Home Depot, or you find tubing that is used in exercise pulls, called Thera-Band. Or, just get extra bands made for sling shots. Use tent stakes (like Easton 6") as the Y pieces.

Attach a small weight, fish line lead to small line, like fly reel backing, shoot it over a limb. Next attach your bear line to the small string and pull the bear line up in to the tree.

Rambler
10-08-2009, 14:43
I have used a homemade sling shot to help get my hanging lines higher up into the trees than I can throw. The "Latex tubing" can be found in the plumbing section at Home Depot, or you find tubing that is used in exercise pulls, called Thera-Band. Or, just get extra bands made for sling shots. Use tent stakes (like Easton 6") as the Y pieces.

Attach a small weight, fish line lead to small line, like fly reel backing, shoot it over a limb. Next attach your bear line to the small string and pull the bear line up in to the tree.

homer_at
10-09-2009, 21:35
I am the OP and thanks to all for the info and advice. I made the mistake of telling my wife the entry about being nose to nose with the bear.

thanks,
homer_at

LimpsAlong
10-10-2009, 08:26
[quote=Dogwood;902389]

To put it into perspective, I wonder what I would do if strangers entered my house and sat down in my living room with two fresh hot pizzas on a Sunday afternoon while I was watching the ballgame!

quote]
Just curious Grizzly Man, can we humans enter ANY part of nature and not be considered "strangers"? Do you poll the wildlife before entering "their home" for a hike and get a permission slip?
To quote you "To put it in perspective" I've just as much right to the forest as the bears, chipmonks, squirrels and other wildlife.
I suggest that while on your next hike if a bear wants a slice of your "pizza" and it happens to be your leg well, being the guest and all, you should give it to him.
Just sayin'