PDA

View Full Version : Can I fly with Esbit Tabs?

campbell
10-04-2009, 18:19
I am leaving for Baxter State Park in Maine on the 10th to climb the Owl. I am going from Chicago to Boston and was wondering if it is legal for me to take my Esbit Stove and some Esbit tabs in my stored luggage? Any information of suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

warraghiyagey
10-04-2009, 18:23
I can't imagine why esbit tabs or stove would be a problem on a plane. . . . lighters are allowed and we've actually had folks fly in to Boston with fuel cannisters (which seems like a worse idea) with no problem. . . best advice is to call the airline and ask first. . . . Otherwise you can pick up tabs at any outfitter beetween boston and Millinocket. . . . If you need any logistical help in the mean time PM me. . . Vonfrick and I liv ust north of Boston and will be headed up to Monson this weekend. . . :sun:sun:sun

bigcranky
10-04-2009, 18:28
No fuel. Esbit tabs are fuel. Putting them in your checked luggage puts you at risk of a very large fine and possible jail time. No fuel.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

bigcranky
10-04-2009, 18:29
Fuel canisters are banned, too, warraghiyagey. Anybody putting them on a plane is taking a serious risk.

warraghiyagey
10-04-2009, 18:31
Fuel canisters are banned, too, warraghiyagey. Anybody putting them on a plane is taking a serious risk.
That's what we thought when more than one hiker mentioned they had paxked them in their stowaway luggage. . . . but like I said, quite a few folk packed them for their flight and didn't have a problem, kinda makes ya wonder. . . .:-?

warraghiyagey
10-04-2009, 18:34
No fuel. Esbit tabs are fuel. Putting them in your checked luggage puts you at risk of a very large fine and possible jail time. No fuel.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm
I notice that lighters are included on that list yet they haven't been taking away lighters the last few times I flew. . . we always offered them up and they said the lighters were OK and let us go on with them. . .

Bearpaw
10-04-2009, 18:37
I notice that lighters are included on that list yet they haven't been taking away lighters the last few times I flew. . . we always offered them up and they said the lighters were OK and let us go on with them. . .

That's because they figure you couldn't pack any C-4 or fuses into those hippy sandals Warghy. ;)

Profiling...:rolleyes:

warraghiyagey
10-04-2009, 18:45
That's because they figure you couldn't pack any C-4 or fuses into those hippy sandals Warghy. ;)

Profiling...:rolleyes:
Hippies are cool. . . :p . . . and funny for those of you who don't get it. . . :sun

Toolshed
10-04-2009, 20:27
Don't make a big deal about it and you'll be fine. It's the brainiacs that ask, "Can I fly with my stove fuel?" then when told no, try to make a point it's not liquid. Same f***ing idiot brainiacs who used to come in the store and ask you a question about an item with the only intent being so that when you responded in some fashion they could offer a rebuttal to show you they knew much more about the piece of gear.
...So if you are that kinda of idiot, then, I take back what I said - you should go in and ask if those flammable Esbit fuel tablets are OK in your checked bag.

P.S. and if you are not an idiot, that's totally cool too....:D

bigcranky
10-04-2009, 20:36
It doesn't matter if it's liquid, gas, solid, whatever -- fuel is not allowed on an airplane in checked or carryon baggage.

warraghiyagey -- read the list, lighters are specifically allowed in carryon, but specifically excluded from checked bags.

And seriously, folks, there is a reason why they don't let you pack FLAMMABLE STUFF in your luggage. Sure, if you don't say anything, maybe they won't find it in your bag. Oooh, good idea <sarcasm>.

Father Dragon
10-04-2009, 20:59
Maybe, but if you get to close to the sun they will melt and down you'll go.

George
10-04-2009, 21:11
if you can carry a candle on a plane, you can carry esbit, like the other posters say keep your mouth shut

modiyooch
10-04-2009, 21:20
Manchester NH would not let me check my stove 2 years ago.

MintakaCat
10-04-2009, 21:48
I knew a guy some years ago who was a mechanic for Delta here in Atlanta. He told me some of the details of the ValuJet Flight 592 crash that he heard about and it's impact on the ValuJet employees.

After hearing some of those details I never seemed to object to those TSA rules.

Mags
10-04-2009, 22:06
Esbit can be mailed.

Are you staying in a hotel before driving up to Maine (or even in Millinocket)? Call and ask if you send a package to yourself at the motel/hotel address.

If you are going to Millinocket on a weekday, perhaps send it to the post office in care of General Delivery.

I think it is going to be far easier to mail your esbit than taking a chance on a TSA agent confiscating your fuel. I'm not a lawyer and won't spend endless pages debating if Esbit falls under this umbrella or not. I'll just give you the info to make life easier. ;)

From http://www.gottawalk.com/shipping_fuel.htm

US Postal Service regulations regarding shipping Esbit tablets:
(Snipped legalese from USPS)

What this means to us:

Esbit tablets fall under the Flammable Solids Class.

We can ship less than 1 pound of Esbit tablets via ground mail (domestic mail only). The tablets must be contained in a secure primary receptacle which must be packed in a larger package for protection. The overall package must weigh 25 pounds or less. The package must have the following label on attached on the address side of the package:

Surface Mail Only
Consumer Commodity ORM-D

Note that esbit must be sent surface mail only. I'd send the esbit at least a week before you arrive in Maine just to be on the safe side.

Good luck..and happy trails!

EDIT: I just noticed the date. You are in the Boston area..it just may be easier to buy Esbit at a local outdoor store. :)

take-a-knee
10-05-2009, 07:21
I knew a guy some years ago who was a mechanic for Delta here in Atlanta. He told me some of the details of the ValuJet Flight 592 crash that he heard about and it's impact on the ValuJet employees.

After hearing some of those details I never seemed to object to those TSA rules.

Excellent post. That post had quite an "impact" on the folks who had to fish body parts out of the muck for several days.

bigcranky
10-05-2009, 07:22
Not to mention the folks whose body parts were being fished out.

Jeff
10-05-2009, 07:44
Check with Ole Man at Appalachian Trail Lodge in Millinocket. I imagine he knows where you can resupply various stove fuel (including ESBIT) in town.

Let us know what he says. Here is his website for contact info:

http://www.appalachiantraillodge.com/

take-a-knee
10-05-2009, 08:55
Not to mention the folks whose body parts were being fished out.

Yes, and their families.

yaduck9
10-05-2009, 09:01

I don't know but I would guess that the tobacco lobby impressed the need on our Congress to allow lighters on planes so that those who indulge can lite up as soon as they land; don't want anyone to kick the habit.

So, i would contact your local esbit lobbyist to impress on congress for your need to carry flammable items onto a loaded plane.:D

Gray Blazer
10-05-2009, 10:31
I think you can fly better with some purple haze (and you won't even need a plane)!:D