PDA

View Full Version : How much different is the Thru-hike with a dog?

SOBO 2011
10-04-2009, 21:39
I am interested in knowing just what is expected when hiking with the dog... I know there are places that I can not bring him, but is it really "that" much harder to do a Thru-hike with a dog? Are there many areas on the trail where you will have to carry the dog or areas where he could not get by? I have a boxer/pitbull mix - both breeds are in the top 10 "best dogs for hiking"... so I am really not worried if he can make it due to ability but rather the trail. Thanks for the help!!! :-)

Jack Tarlin
10-04-2009, 21:45
This is a frequently discussed subject, here and elsewhere. And sometimes, it's a contentious one.

I suggest you use the Search engine here at Whiteblaze and do a search on "dogs" or hiking with dogs" and you'll find all sorts of information, in fact you'll find enough to keep you busy for hours.

Just bring a thick skin. :rolleyes:

BR360
10-04-2009, 22:00
The opinions on this subject are vast and intense, if not vitriolic.

Yet the ONLY people who could tell you how different it is one way or the other are those people who have done two Thru-hikes of the AT: one WITH a dog, and one WITHOUT a dog.

Not many of those around.

Jack Tarlin
10-04-2009, 22:08
As to how much more difficult it is to thru-hike with a dog, I can't really say as I've never done it.

But I know it can make for some problems.

For example there were some hikers here in Hanover the other day with a dog. They had no place to stay (and it was pouring out, too) because the only hotel that had rooms available doesn't take dogs; they also couldn't use the free local bus service either, which made it tougher to re-supply, get to the outfitter, etc.

They finally found a Dartmouth dorm that was willing to take them.....until the students found out there was a dog.

In short, yeah, sometimes hiking with a dog will make for problems, and anyone contemplating hiking with their pet better be ready for this.

Mags
10-04-2009, 22:12
The Appalachian Trails Conservancy has an excellent page for hiking with a dog:
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805495/k.9C34/Hiking_with_Dogs.htm

Good luck!

emerald
10-04-2009, 22:15
Mags was thinking what I was and posted sooner.

karoberts
10-04-2009, 22:27
I've only done 1000 miles, but I did it all with my dog. You can learn about my experience by watching my video, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEwI91x0Yks

Hiking with a dog is A LOT of extra work and has many added inconveniences. I think that a boxer/pitt would not do well because of pad problems. Hiking all day every day is not for every dog. I think working breeds do better on the trail. You may also want to think about the kinds of reactions others will have to your dog.

Grampie
10-05-2009, 10:28
The odds of starting a thru-hike and finishing is 5 to 1. 80% of those who start, don't finish. With a dog the odds change to probably 10 to 1. What I'm saying is that for every 10 folks who attempt a thru-hike with a dog, only 1 will susceed.
If you are serious about doing a thru-hike and finishing, reconsider taking a dog.:-?

ShelterLeopard
10-05-2009, 11:01
I am interested in knowing just what is expected when hiking with the dog... I know there are places that I can not bring him, but is it really "that" much harder to do a Thru-hike with a dog? Are there many areas on the trail where you will have to carry the dog or areas where he could not get by? I have a boxer/pitbull mix - both breeds are in the top 10 "best dogs for hiking"... so I am really not worried if he can make it due to ability but rather the trail. Thanks for the help!!! :-)

Basically, a hike with a dog restricts you the most when you're in town. You can't stay in most hostels or bring your dog into buildings, if you aren't bothered by that, then it should be okay.

The main thing, in my opinion is that you really need to be aware of your dog, especially around shelters. Your dog can NOT sleep in shelters with other hikers. Allergies, wet dog, annoying dog, invasion of personal space and fear of dogs all make taking your dog in a shelter impossible. Don't do it- ever. Even in a downpour. I'm sure you know this already, but many hikers don't.
Another thing, if you chose to eat at a shelter, make sure your dog doesn't beg (a lot of people can't stand begging dogs) or invade people's personal space. To bring a dog near other hikers, he really needs to be well trained.
Apart from considerations of other people, I think dogs really like hiking. Some people maintain that dogs shouldn't carry a pack, but I think it makes them feel useful (just carrying their own stuff, of course- not much). They take to constant walking very well. There are a couple places that are difficult for even the sturdiest dogs. I know several dogs that have been injured around the Chairback Gap in the Hundred Mile Wilderness. And don't foget, they don't even allow dogs in Baxter State Park, so you'll have to kennel him. If you look in the Appalachian Pages 2009, there's a woman who'll pick up, kennel and drop off your dog at Abol Bridge (for a price, of course). Good luck, and sorry to run on so much!

SOBO 2011
10-05-2009, 12:59
Thank You all .. The information was great! I am still unsure is I will bring him or not :-/ At first taking him with me was the only option, now after reading several books by people who have done a thru-hike, as well as talking with people on here, I am really not sure. I was hoping to get in touch with someone who has completed the thru-hike with a dog and really see if they would have changed anyhting..... if there is anyone out there please drop me a line. Again thank you to all and I will continue to check back if there is anyone else out there with some info. :-)

RiverWarriorPJ
10-05-2009, 13:39
....take him.....just stay away from hostels/shelters..........
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/1/1/1/7/ZSleep.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=18180&original=1&c=member&imageuser=11117)

emerald
10-05-2009, 14:01
I have a boxer/pitbull mix - both breeds are in the top 10 "best dogs for hiking," so I am really not worried if he can make it due to ability but rather the trail.

If you are serious about such a list, I would like to see it. Can you post it or provide a link?

emerald
10-05-2009, 14:13
The odds of starting a thru-hike and finishing is 5 to 1. 80% of those who start, don't finish. With a dog the odds change to probably 10 to 1. What I'm saying is that for every 10 folks who attempt a thru-hike with a dog, only 1 will succeed.
If you are serious about doing a thru-hike and finishing, reconsider taking a dog.:-?

I'm not buying and I don't even care for dogs on the AT. ATC's numbers such as they are don't support it and a dog can be sent home if plans are made for that possibility in advance. There's a certain amount of luck involved with completing a through hike, but luck favors those with experience who are prepared and motivated to succeed.

Reid
10-05-2009, 15:25
I've only done 1000 miles, but I did it all with my dog. You can learn about my experience by watching my video, here:

Hiking with a dog is A LOT of extra work and has many added inconveniences. I think that a boxer/pitt would not do well because of pad problems. Hiking all day every day is not for every dog. I think working breeds do better on the trail. You may also want to think about the kinds of reactions others will have to your dog.

Why not a Boxer? I've got a Boxer that I was going to take out this weekend to see how he does on a short twenty something miler. I think he'll be fine. What's a pad problem too? Are you talking about sleeping? Nice video and by the way..........its called appa - latch - in trail. I'm kiddin.

sheepdog
10-05-2009, 16:54
Dogs are a lot tougher than most people think. You have to get them in shape on the trail just like you do.
They should be very well trained and non agressive to other dogs and people.
It will be more work for you, but you must decide if it's worth it.
Talk to superman.

Jack Tarlin
10-05-2009, 19:29
I know of at least one person who has hiked extensively on the A.T. with a pit bull, and I'm convinced that this is a maligned breed of dog, meaning are there are a lot of real idiots who own and keep pit bulls for wrong reasons? Absolutely. But a well cared-for, well-behaved, well-trained pit bull can do just fine on the the Trail. I've seen it.

karoberts
10-05-2009, 19:36
Why not a Boxer? I've got a Boxer that I was going to take out this weekend to see how he does on a short twenty something miler. I think he'll be fine. What's a pad problem too? Are you talking about sleeping? Nice video and by the way..........its called appa - latch - in trail. I'm kiddin.

By pads I mean the bottom on their feet. The reason I think a boxer or a pitt might not do well is because their pads might not hold up. Last summer, I ran into three AT hiker dogs with pad problems: a lab, a weimaraner, and a pitt mix. They all had the same sort of problem which was pads falling off or sloughing off after hiking a rocky section. This is a very painful problem. Poor dogs. Such a thing has never happened to my dog Henry.

sheepdog
10-05-2009, 19:40
two of those are sporting dog breeds. Pads on all dogs can be toughened up over time. That's the thing about hiking with a dog, you not only have to check on how you're feeling but you have to be on top of how your dog's feeling. Then match a pace and rest accordingly

Wise Old Owl
10-05-2009, 20:07

I personally enjoyed you very professional video, you put a frequent smile on my face, and I love the ending... Great Hike!

ShelterLeopard
10-05-2009, 23:04
Sheepdog, good point. I totally forgot to mention that you need to train your dog for the trail just as you would yourself. (But if you're depending on getting in shape on trail, you can't make that choice for your dog- he needs to be in pretty good shape when you start)

Marta
10-06-2009, 07:12
I hestitate to make such a mundane suggestion but...why don't you try doing some longer hikes with your dog? One of at least two weeks should let you know whether you enjoy the burden of hiking with your particular dog. Your info says you plan to attempt a thru in 2011, so you've got plenty of time to try it out.

People to talk to about the dogs and hiking include Leigh and Josh of the Hiker Hostel, in Dahlonega, GA. They love dogs and started their AT thru-hike with two of them. To make a long story short, though, when they go on long hikes now, the dog stays home.

superman
10-06-2009, 07:39
If you hike the AT with a dog you have to let go of the idea of keeping up with friends or being done by a special date. My mind set was that I was just going for a long walk with my best friend. If you aren't tuned in to your dog you'll probably go home early. When your dog is about 6 months old you want to socialize your dog to all kinds of people and all kinds of animals. Your dog should be indifferent to people and other animals. On a recent hike I passed two dogs separately who had their hiking hat on. They barely acknowledged my presents as they went by. Another mind set is that you don't have your dog on the AT to interfere other peoples hike. With that comes staying out of shelters and using your tent.
Winter was never a burden to hike with. We didn't burn up the trail and Winter enjoyed watching Animal Planet as she lay in the motel AC. Her favorite food on town stops was the pre-cooked cheap charlie chickens. Winter traveled all over this country and was comfortable in the woods or in cities. She kept me warm when it was cold and made every hike better than it would have been with out her. I've had many dogs over the years...but there was only one Winter.

Tipi Walter
10-06-2009, 09:12
Backpacking with a dog is both good and not so good. There's always the tendency for a dog to bark and run towards anyone approaching camp, hence the need for a leash when camping close to the trail. And with the current crazy regulations in the Smokies and other Parks against dogs, I don't even bother entering them and find other places to go.

A dogpack is required unless you feel like carrying all their food yourself, which on a 10-15 trip will break your back in addition to all your other gear. And I believe a dog and his scent helps to keep raccoons and bears out of camp and away from the hung food bags.

On the AT I never stay in the shelters and instead set up camp wherever I feel like it and my campsites are not dependent on the spacing of shelters every 8 to 10 miles. And I keep my dog leashed at all times when in camp, but not so when I'm moving.

The one big advantage to a dog is that he or she is a reliable and loyal companion for the backpacker, and in this day and age of fickle outdoor human companions, a dog doesn't need to be convinced of the importance of nature or the importance of sleeping out every night. They're born for it, something you can't say for humans.

Reid
10-06-2009, 14:16
I know of at least one person who has hiked extensively on the A.T. with a pit bull, and I'm convinced that this is a maligned breed of dog, meaning are there are a lot of real idiots who own and keep pit bulls for wrong reasons? Absolutely. But a well cared-for, well-behaved, well-trained pit bull can do just fine on the the Trail. I've seen it.

Oh yea. They outlawed the breeding of them in California recently I believe. Goes to show that there are not only alot of idiots out there who are bad owner/breeders but also alot of misinformed people too.

Mags
10-06-2009, 14:26
Oh yea. They outlawed the breeding of them in California recently I believe. Goes to show that there are not only alot of idiots out there who are bad owner/breeders but also alot of misinformed people too.

I've told this story before...but hey, I like it.

My girlfriend at the time had a cute and lovable mainly pitbull mix. Everytime he'd see my truck pull up, he'd become very happy because he knew a hike was going to happen.

The pooch was had the typical pitbull build: Short, stocky and muscular. A "keg on legs".

Someone said to my girlfriend "Your dog is supposed to look like you...not the guy you are dating". :o

Dogwood
10-06-2009, 14:58
Read and reread some of the posts on this thread and Jack Tarlin's well written recent article, that I think went into the WB archives, about hiking with a dog. I don't think most hikers who are contemplating hiking with a dog are FULLY aware of how it will affect their hike, the demands it places on the dog, and how it impacts others.

I love dogs, but not every dog and not every dog owner should be hiking together.

Gaiter
10-06-2009, 16:49
from hiking a month with a dog, I can say its alot more work, assuming you are a responsible owner, you have many more things to be concerned about, carrying enough water for the two of you, food, their feet, other hikers (had to stop many from feeding my dog), other dogs, going into town, rain soaking them and their gear, ticks (assuming your dog has a tick treatment, you will be the one checking your own self more often for ticks.... i also gave my dog massages at night, after i decided her hike was done and sent her home, i realized how much extra work it is, but her companionship was also very rewarding and was difficult for several days to go with out....

and don't assume just becasue your dog is in the 'top hiking breeds' (whatever that is) that your dog will automatically make it, i've got a good trail dog, she isn't thru hiking material though (neither am i), it is really hard on dogs and ultimately comes down to the individual dog and its owner....

bigcranky
10-06-2009, 17:08
I've hiked with a dog, and I've hiked with my kid, and there's a certain similarity to hiking with a dog and with a 5-year old. Not that it's bad -- but it is very different.

superman
10-06-2009, 18:44
I've hiked with a dog, and I've hiked with my kid, and there's a certain similarity to hiking with a dog and with a 5-year old. Not that it's bad -- but it is very different.
'
LOL, I have two grown sons. My experience was that it was easier to train my dog than my sons. Winter would learn and do anything I said for a piece of bacon...my sons...not so much.:)

Harley&Me
10-07-2009, 16:17
I thruhiked this year and my dog was with me for ~1500 miles (Hot Springs NC to Hanover NH). Feel free to contact me with any questions (you can also check out my blog at harveyat.blogspot.com (http://harveyat.blogspot.com)
Here is my 2 cents: I absolutely loved having my dog with me and it absolutely made my AT experience. That being said, it was A LOT of extra responsibility (especially in towns). You really have to have a good "trail dog." The best way to find out if your dog is ready to tackle this journey with you is to take him/her with you on your practice hikes.

ShoelessWanderer
10-07-2009, 16:46
'
LOL, I have two grown sons. My experience was that it was easier to train my dog than my sons. Winter would learn and do anything I said for a piece of bacon...my sons...not so much.:)

I thought with bacon you could make a guy do anything? :-?

Doooglas
10-07-2009, 18:50
Basically, a hike with a dog restricts you the most when you're in town. You can't stay in most hostels or bring your dog into buildings, if you aren't bothered by that, then it should be okay.

The main thing, in my opinion is that you really need to be aware of your dog, especially around shelters. Your dog can NOT sleep in shelters with other hikers. Allergies, wet dog, annoying dog, invasion of personal space and fear of dogs all make taking your dog in a shelter impossible. Don't do it- ever. Even in a downpour. I'm sure you know this already, but many hikers don't.
Another thing, if you chose to eat at a shelter, make sure your dog doesn't beg (a lot of people can't stand begging dogs) or invade people's personal space. To bring a dog near other hikers, he really needs to be well trained.
Apart from considerations of other people, I think dogs really like hiking. Some people maintain that dogs shouldn't carry a pack, but I think it makes them feel useful (just carrying their own stuff, of course- not much). They take to constant walking very well. There are a couple places that are difficult for even the sturdiest dogs. I know several dogs that have been injured around the Chairback Gap in the Hundred Mile Wilderness. And don't foget, they don't even allow dogs in Baxter State Park, so you'll have to kennel him. If you look in the Appalachian Pages 2009, there's a woman who'll pick up, kennel and drop off your dog at Abol Bridge (for a price, of course). Good luck, and sorry to run on so much!

Back when I did it there were no ' towns". I had a Samoyed with me. He walked 10 times farther than I did.I even had a gun strapped to my pack :eek::rolleyes:.Most of what he ate I killed, and mixed with grits, if their wasn't enough meat.
From what I read now you can have Pizza Rut deliver in certain spots. What a shame.

Mags
10-07-2009, 18:59
Back when I did it there were no ' towns". I had a Samoyed with me. He walked 10 times farther than I did.I even had a gun strapped to my pack :eek::rolleyes:.Most of what he ate I killed, and mixed with grits, if their wasn't enough meat.
From what I read now you can have Pizza Rut deliver in certain spots. What a shame.

http://content2.myyearbook.com/zenhex/images/quiz45/220440/220440_res2_lumberjack.jpg

Damn..and I thought I had hair on my chest...after the post above I don't feel like such a man. Killing food AND mixing with grits. Daaaaamnn...

:sun