PDA

View Full Version : Roan Mountain Info

Muskrat0907
10-04-2009, 22:06
Looking to do a weekend trip in the Roan Mountain area and I am curious to know of a good 15 - 20 mile section to do that has safe parking or suggestions for parking and shuttles.

Thanks for any help.

Grits
10-04-2009, 22:36
You can check with Mtn harbour in Roan Mtn 423-772-9494 park there and shuttle over to Carvers Gap and hke 13 miles NOBO back to 19E. Terry and Mary are great.

Jack Tarlin
10-04-2009, 23:27
This is exactly the section that I would do.

And I'd make sure and overnight at Overmountain Shelter, too.

Tennessee Viking
10-04-2009, 23:29
Looking to do a weekend trip in the Roan Mountain area and I am curious to know of a good 15 - 20 mile section to do that has safe parking or suggestions for parking and shuttles.

Thanks for any help.
If you want to take some more miles on. You can shuttle over to Iron Mountain Gap, just around 8 miles to Hughes, then 2.4 to the top of Roan, then another 2.4 to Carvers.

Or you can continue past 19E. And see the 100 ft Jones Falls, Elk River, and Mountainer Falls Shelter, then out at Walnut Mtn Road.

bigcranky
10-05-2009, 07:02
Plan to park at Mountain Harbour B&B and get a shuttle. It's only 1/4 mile from the trail where it crosses 19-E.

For a 13 mile, moderately strenuous hike, have them drive you to Carver's Gap and walk northbound back to 19-E. For a slightly longer, much more strenuous hike, start at Hughes Gap, or for a longer hike, start at Iron Mountain Gap.

Hikes with a stick
10-05-2009, 07:18
I did the Hughes gap to 19E about 2 years ago... Stayed at Mountain Harbor B7B the night before, then had them shuttle me to Hughes gap the next day. It is a tough start, you gain 2000 feet in the first 2 miles. Over the whole hike you gain about 5200 feet I think. If you want the views without the workout, start at Carver's gap.

Muskrat0907
10-05-2009, 09:55
Great suggestions ! Thanks !

cravenberg
10-12-2009, 16:37
I just finished a 4 day trip from Iron Mtn Gap to Hampton, TN on Saturday. I highly recommend the Roan Highlands section. If you are short on time, start at Carvers Gap and head north. If you have more time, start at Hughes Gap and spend sometime atop Roan Mtn on the Cloudlands side trail to the Roan bluff overlook. You'll get a great view of Unaka Mtn. Also, Hump Mountain is the most unique hike I've had on the AT. Did it early Friday morning with a 35 mph steady wind!!

tndrfoot
10-12-2009, 23:03
going to roan high knob thursday night meeting a friend that is going ga>harpers ferry and going to 19E or buck mtn road. But the weather is saying 31F and like 40% chance of snow fri to sat night bring it on cant wait. dont forget about the WIND:D Will be at overmountain shelter fri come on down.

Tennessee Viking
10-12-2009, 23:13
going to roan high knob thursday night meeting a friend that is going ga>harpers ferry and going to 19E or buck mtn road. But the weather is saying 31F and like 40% chance of snow fri to sat night bring it on cant wait. dont forget about the WIND:D Will be at overmountain shelter fri come on down.Be careful around buck mtn road, not a good idea for parking. not much in parking except a church. Would not plan to park around there since there is high vandalism rate in that area.

Grits
10-13-2009, 07:33
Yep Viking it is going to be chilly on the mtn this weekend high winds and temps down into the high 20s and chance of snow has been upgraded to 100% flurries. The wind will be the big bite. http://averyweather.com/Forecast/Beech+Mountain

Gray Blazer
10-13-2009, 07:55
accept a church, which also has a high vandalism rate.
It is hard to accept a church with a high vandalism rate, but, if you can do it so can I.

Have fun hiking in the mountains this weekend. We're going to the beach in bradenton.

Chaco Taco
10-13-2009, 18:30
Go up to Grassy Ridge too

left turn
11-01-2009, 01:09
Be careful around buck mtn road, not a good idea for parking. not much in parking except a church. Would not plan to park around there since there is high vandalism rate in that area.

hello, i'm new here

so is parking at the carvers gap parking lot a bad idea? i have also heard the are has a high vandalism rate. i've done this section and it is beautiful but we were dropped off and pickup. but i am planning a trip this spring summer or maybe this fall before winter sets in up there and will need somewhere to park my car

where is this B&B with the shuttles you guys are talking about.

Marta
11-01-2009, 08:46
hello, i'm new here

so is parking at the carvers gap parking lot a bad idea? i have also heard the are has a high vandalism rate. i've done this section and it is beautiful but we were dropped off and pickup. but i am planning a trip this spring summer or maybe this fall before winter sets in up there and will need somewhere to park my car

where is this B&B with the shuttles you guys are talking about.

I have parked at Carvers Gap several times without incident. But I've heard that some people have had problems.

Mountain Harbour B&B is on 19 E not far from where the AT crosses it. (On the TN side of the line.) They have a parking corral, and do shuttling. It's a very nice place, and the people are good to deal with. 866-772-9494. www.mountainharbour.net (http://www.mountainharbour.net)

PS--Welcome to Whiteblaze!

left turn
11-01-2009, 10:46
I have parked at Carvers Gap several times without incident. But I've heard that some people have had problems.

Mountain Harbour B&B is on 19 E not far from where the AT crosses it. (On the TN side of the line.) They have a parking corral, and do shuttling. It's a very nice place, and the people are good to deal with. 866-772-9494. www.mountainharbour.net (http://www.mountainharbour.net)

PS--Welcome to Whiteblaze!

hey thanks for the info and the warm welcome

rpenczek
12-02-2009, 11:21
Welcome Left Turn. A little further trail north is the Kincora Hiking Hostel, Bob Peoples is the owner. Bob also does shuttles. Bob shuttled me, two other audlt leaders and eight Boy Scouts this past August up to Cloudland and we hiked back to his hostel on Dennis Cove Road.

We also stoped one night at the already mentioned Mountain Harbor B&B, this was a really nice place where you can stay in their B&B, in the Hostel or camp in the corral (grass).

Both hostels have good parking.

Rain Man
12-02-2009, 13:03
You can check with Mtn harbour in Roan Mtn 423-772-9494 park there and shuttle over to Carvers Gap and hke 13 miles NOBO back to 19E. Terry and Mary are great.

I agree with Grits and Jack. This is exactly the hike my wife and I did year before last. Overmountain Shelter is iconic. Hump Mountain is ... wonderfully massive. And Mountain Harbour is a great B&B/Hostel (your choice of which services you choose). I also agree... add the side trip up Grassy Ridge. We didn't and wish we had.

You could be shuttled to the top of Roan, to add it and a few short miles downhill to your hike. You could see Roan High Knob Shelter, the highest on the whole AT.

Rain:sunMan