PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to Experience the Whole Trail

RedRunnerJumper
10-05-2009, 12:08
I am a 20 year old who's a Junior in college and always been wanting to do a thru-hike of the AT. I am an Eagle Scout (2006) but during my years as a Boy Scout I have done TONS of camping in all weather conditions and actually hiked parts of the AT in different states. I really want to complete the whole AT but upon my graduation of college. I am going to do the readings of forums, and try to ask past hikers about their experiences. Any one feel me on what I wanna do? or Support me?

ShelterLeopard
10-05-2009, 12:11
Wait, I don't really get what it is you want to do. Do you want to thrh hike, or section hike? You didn't quite make yourself clear....

RedRunnerJumper
10-05-2009, 12:14
I want to thru-hike. I have done section hiking but I want to complete the whole thing. My bad for not making it clear.

ShelterLeopard
10-05-2009, 12:32
Well you should definitely go for it! I'm kind of doing the opposite (taking time off from college, hiking the whole trail, then going to school after, I'm 19, and this will be my second year off. I'm hitting the trail in 4 months, 20 days). When are you going to do it? Definitely try to do it right after you graduate, because if you wait, you'll end up getting entrenched in a job and being unable to leave. (Unless you get a job you don't intend to keep, just to make money for your hike)

It's good that you already have hiking experience- wayyyyy too many people just wake up and say to themselves "I think I'll go hike the AT, that'll solve everything". For some of those people, it works out really well. But for the majority, they spend thousands on gear and transportation, time and energy planning, then they get to the trail and realize that there are rocks, bugs, rain and you actually have to HIKE, and they give up. But you should be okay. Good luck.

RedRunnerJumper
10-05-2009, 12:39
Thanks man, im still lookin at information and determining the essentials and everything. I mean I got most everything; frame pack, boots, warm clothes and such. I got along way to go for planning, I know that! But its a start! Not sure when I will be starting. When and where are you starting? Just wondering.

ShelterLeopard
10-05-2009, 12:52
I'm starting at Springer Mountain (the approach trail, actually) on February 23, (in a couple months!), possibly February 18, but we'll see. I can't wait!

As for planning, I only planned a schedule because it makes me more excited. I can pretty much guarantee that you will not stick to your "schedule". For one, you don't know how fast or far you'll hike each day, not only because you don't know your physical strength and will during hiking, but during a snow storm or on a sprained ankle, you'll hike a lot more slowly, and those are things you just can't predict.

The only thing you really have to plan is mail drops, if you're doing them. And it's easier just to have someone at home mailing things to you, and you just call up and say "I'll be in Damascus in two weeks, mail box #11", or whatever.

(I have a print out schedule day by day to leave at home, to put my parents' minds at ease, but my only plan is "Start at Springer. Hike North."

Captn
10-05-2009, 13:58
ShelterLeopard ....

You Know Downhill????

She's in my hiking club here in Texas. I'm the guy who made the tarp for her.

d.o.c
10-05-2009, 14:44
im 19 and i thru hiked this year and theres not much to it. just get some money and do it. it will all come naturaly as you hike.

RedRunnerJumper
10-05-2009, 14:53
Ya, im slowly making a schedule, my biggest problem is planning the drop boxes, I gotta find what what towns are near the trail and such to tell family for mailings. How did you find what towns are near and such?

Blissful
10-05-2009, 15:14
Hey, just go for it!

Plenty of advice on here, but get your gear (advice on that too here), your time and money lined up and go.

Blissful
10-05-2009, 15:16
Ya, im slowly making a schedule, my biggest problem is planning the drop boxes, I gotta find what what towns are near the trail and such to tell family for mailings. How did you find what towns are near and such?

Do a search on this topic here on WB- plenty of pros and cons on the subject and suggestions where you perhaps might need a drop and where you won't. And read Jack's resupply article. Also, check out the ALDHA web site and download (http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm) the companion to familiarize yourself with the trail.

Reid
10-05-2009, 15:19
Just save a whole bunch of money and get some time free'd up. Money can solve most the problems on A.T.

Blissful
10-05-2009, 15:21
Just save a whole bunch of money and get some time free'd up. Money can solve most the problems on A.T.

Money can't buy the mental aspect of it all though...

Pacific Tortuga
10-05-2009, 15:27
Finish school, most things will change a few times in your life.

Great goal, just open an account for the trip, say 10 bucks a month and you'll be well on your way. Any plan will work, gear will change but your dream will always be there, just do it.

Now go bug L. Wolf for some Leki's. :)

Reid
10-05-2009, 15:35
Money can't buy the mental aspect of it all though...

That's probably the single biggest determinate of a successful thru hike. I'm heading sobo so I will feel like I'm getting closer to home instead of farther away everyday, 2011.

ShelterLeopard
10-05-2009, 22:59
ShelterLeopard ....

You Know Downhill????

She's in my hiking club here in Texas. I'm the guy who made the tarp for her.

Awesome!!! (Texas+ cool tarp= same Downhill) Yeah, I spent the night in Leroy Smith shelter with her (and James), she's really cool. If you ever see her, tell her that Shelter Leopard formerly known as Traceless says hello. (She knows me as Traceless) I heard that she summitted really early August/ really late July. I love hearing about people I know!

Captn
10-06-2009, 13:46
Awesome!!! (Texas+ cool tarp= same Downhill) Yeah, I spent the night in Leroy Smith shelter with her (and James), she's really cool. If you ever see her, tell her that Shelter Leopard formerly known as Traceless says hello. (She knows me as Traceless) I heard that she summitted really early August/ really late July. I love hearing about people I know!

Yeah ... she summitted pretty early.

When she was planning I know she was all worried about making it, so she was going to leave in Feb.

Bless her little heart.

I'll pass along the info ....

ShelterLeopard
10-07-2009, 13:29
Thanks- and I think she ended up leaving March 1st, but said she would've left a week later now (looking back). She was very chill by PA- ahead of the crowd and going at her own pace (which wasn't exactly slow, either!).

Pickleodeon
10-07-2009, 17:02
I did the trail the year after I graduated from college. I finished last May, got a job to save money for the trail, and left in March. I recommend not telling employers that you plan on leaving in Spring to hike. Save as much as you can before you start.

Also, look into gear options, a lot. No offense, but a lot of the boy scout groups I see out there don't know about the huge variety of gear options. The often use external frame packs and carry so much stuff!!!! That's the way their boy scout leaders taught them, so they just keep passing it down. Hey, if external frame works for you, great, but really check out your options. The majority of hikers carry internal frames. Also, boy scouts always carry saws and hatchets and like 10 knives, and CANS of food! it doesn't have to be that way.

The Weasel
10-07-2009, 17:44
Interesting. I posted a supportive post (go for it!) with some ways for you to have Mom understand better, and it's gone. Can't figure out why, but I still think you should go for it.

TW

pjbarr
10-09-2009, 18:41
hey shelterleopard, i'm due to leave within a few days of you from springer. date isn't firm but will be within few days of what you listed, give or take a few.

ShelterLeopard
10-12-2009, 12:43
I did the trail the year after I graduated from college. I finished last May, got a job to save money for the trail, and left in March. I recommend not telling employers that you plan on leaving in Spring to hike. Save as much as you can before you start.

Also, look into gear options, a lot. No offense, but a lot of the boy scout groups I see out there don't know about the huge variety of gear options. The often use external frame packs and carry so much stuff!!!! That's the way their boy scout leaders taught them, so they just keep passing it down. Hey, if external frame works for you, great, but really check out your options. The majority of hikers carry internal frames. Also, boy scouts always carry saws and hatchets and like 10 knives, and CANS of food! it doesn't have to be that way.

I've noticed that- I'll see boyscouts dragging their feet on the trail and complaining about how heavy their packs are, then I once picked up one of the packs- very heavy. And you're right. Hatchets, canned potatoes (I mean, if you're only out for a day or two you can carry pretty fresh uncanned stuff...).

ShelterLeopard
10-12-2009, 12:44
hey shelterleopard, i'm due to leave within a few days of you from springer. date isn't firm but will be within few days of what you listed, give or take a few.

Cool- see you on the trail! :dance

88BlueGT
10-13-2009, 01:15
Thats extremely true in the boy scouts. I'm really not sure what you are using for your gear but I highly recommend that you post up a gear list and have some veterans critique it (thats what I plan on doing atleast lol). It can NEVER hurt to get experienced long distance hikers opinions you know.

ShelterLeopard
10-15-2009, 13:37
I've already had a couple "vets" poking around my gear. I actually have a pretty good handle on it- been on a couple "long" distance hikes (three weeks isn't really long, but there ya go).

Cookerhiker
10-15-2009, 14:45
Red River Jumper, re. gear I suggest you make a list of what you need and then take a trip to Campmoor. Since you live in CT, it's not a real long drive (just check conditions on the Tappan Zee Bridge) and it's well worth it - the best outfitter in the world.