PDA

View Full Version : Imp Campsite

Panchito
10-05-2009, 17:37
Does anyone have info on the Imp campsite? I am basically just wondering how the water source is, if they have a bear box and whether or not we could have a small fire there (being as cold as it is). I know that at most of the campsites you can"t but have seen a few that you can.

warraghiyagey
10-05-2009, 18:21
Imp has one of the coolest water sources in the northeast AT. They also have a bear box, and a sweet lookout towarx the sunset. . . . fires are not permitted there though. . .

Panchito
10-05-2009, 18:29
Thanks a lot, now I just hope the weather works out so we can see that sunset

cheers

warraghiyagey
10-05-2009, 18:30
Enjoy your hike. . . :sun:sun

kayak karl
10-05-2009, 19:00
was there 3 weeks ago. nice place. price is $8. watter great as said. i hung my hammock in the over flow right next to the lookout point. we all had a great time.

Sleepy the Arab
10-05-2009, 19:04
We may be outside the fee charging season at this point.

Panchito
10-05-2009, 19:45
Cool...there aren't any stealth sites along the way to the carters is there?

warraghiyagey
10-05-2009, 20:18
Cool...there aren't any stealth sites along the way to the carters is there?
Which direction are you going?

Panchito
10-05-2009, 20:39
toward the Carters

Panchito
10-05-2009, 20:40
from Imp that is...

Tinker
10-05-2009, 22:03
I was there Tuesday of last week. Hadn't been there since the 1980s. The vegetation has grown quite a bit in front of the shelter. Can't see the lights of Gorham from the shelter any more. There was a bench built some time ago in front of the shelter (since fallen or falling apart) for viewing the town below, but even that doesn't have an unobstructed view. The ledges just south of the shelter should have better views, but I had just climbed Mt. Washington the previous day and was too tired to go up after dark. The shelter has a raised platform and room beneath it. Should sleep 12 or so. Small porch in front makes good kitchen area when standing on ground. Yes, I did sleep in the shelter, but there were only 4 others. The snoring was quite interesting. I took a brief dip in the pool below the water source - quite cold but refreshing. I'm betting that cooties can't swim upstream :D.

Oh -
There is no bear box.
There are no fires allowed.

mudhead
10-06-2009, 05:33
Can you hear the train from here?

warraghiyagey
10-06-2009, 07:40
I can hear it from Wilson Valley Lean-to. . .

sixhusbands
10-06-2009, 08:20
there is a place in Zeta Pass to stealth camp. But the water source is unreliable so carry water from Imp or hike down either side for a few miles to get water. Or you can make it down to Carter Notch and camp at the base of the Wildcats.

Rambler
10-06-2009, 10:25
Six Husbands comments seem to be directed at a south to north hike, Carters to Imp. Imp to N. Carter has a very steep section. However, just before the steep section and soon after the Imp Campsite there is an area you might be able to find a place to camp. Check the contour lines. Another flat area is north of Mt. Moriah just south of the junction with the Shelburne Moriah Trail. Lug water up from Rattle river.
NB. It is well worth your while to go over Mt. Hight. That is were the view is 360.

celt
10-07-2009, 08:25
There is no fee for Imp this time of year. The caretaker is usually gone by the last week in September as are the rest of the AMC campsite caretakers in the Whites.

Fyi... Garfield, Guyot, Liberty and sometimes Nauman have weekend caretakers (and fees) weekends through Columbus Day.

celt
10-07-2009, 08:26
Also... with the caretaker gone the bear box will not be available.

Panchito
10-07-2009, 16:01
Thanks for the heads up. I was looking at the elevation of Imp my be out of the bears reach, we'll still hang food to be safe