PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Backpacking Tip

Kerosene
08-07-2004, 11:35
What's your favorite tip that you've picked up with regard to backpacking? (You can note more than one if you want).

One of mine is to carry a water sack with a spigot (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=13506&memberId=12500226) (4 oz) for camp when water sources are far off the trail or widely spaced. At night, you can partially inflate the empty water sack by blowing air in through the spigot and then wrap the sack in your fleece jacket to create a very comfy pillow.

eyahiker
08-07-2004, 14:19
Take one luxury item.

attroll
08-07-2004, 14:26
Hike your own hike.

smokymtnsteve
08-07-2004, 14:29
Register on WHITEBLAZE.NET :banana

best tip anyone can give you :D

Big Guy
08-07-2004, 14:41
Enjoy the journey. Take time to smell the roses. :clap

Go to Whiteblaze.net :banana

SGT Rock
08-07-2004, 19:48
Find a way to enjoy everything about the hike.

Chip
08-07-2004, 20:23
The next time your on the trail, stop ! don't move ! close your eyes and just
listen! ;)

Flash Hand
08-08-2004, 09:01
Hike your own hike.

Same here! :clap

Flash Hand :jump

sgtjinx
08-08-2004, 09:22
Just be happy your alive!:sun

Youngblood
08-08-2004, 09:26
Take the path that takes you where you want to go and enjoy the experience for what it is.

Youngblood

MDSHiker
08-08-2004, 09:28
Yeah, all of the above are good tips! I guess there are a thousand things to type here, but one of mine...take along a lightweight piece of string or rope to hang your clothes, tarp, sleeping bag, or whatever at camp. You never know when things will be getting wet !

The water bag/bladder is an awesome idea. I carry a 3-liter bag for use in camp and everyone is usually jealous.

FatMan
08-08-2004, 10:11
Don't overplan your hike. Just let it happen. Let nature determine your path and your body determine your pace and distance.

Get up early and beat everyone to the trail. Wildlife is abundant on the trail at 6:00am. After 9:00 all you will see are snakes and squirrels. Oh, but if you are first out be sure to have a stick to bring down all the webs spun accross the trail.

SGT Rock
08-08-2004, 10:13
My most favorite backpacking tip: NO SNIVELING!

smokymtnsteve
08-08-2004, 10:18
Main Entry: 1sniv·el
Pronunciation: 'sni-v&l
Function: intransitive verb
Inflected Form(s): -eled or -elled; -el·ing or sniv·el·ling /'sni-v&-li[ng], 'sniv-li[ng]/
Etymology: Middle English, from (assumed) Old English snyflan; akin to Dutch snuffelen to snuffle, snuffen to sniff
1 : to run at the nose
2 : to snuff mucus up the nose audibly : SNUFFLE
3 : to cry or whine with snuffling
4 : to speak or act in a whining, sniffling, tearful, or weakly emotional manner
- sniv·el·er /'sni-v&-l&r, 'sniv-l&r/ noun

SGT Rock
08-08-2004, 10:22
I reffer to meanings 3 & 4.

eyahiker
08-08-2004, 10:33
Are backpacking tips and philosphical backpacking 'thoughts' different?

SGT Rock
08-08-2004, 10:45
I don't know. Seems someone has a tag line in their signature about the more you carry in your head, the less you carry on your back. And as LWolf has said: "It ain't your equipment that gets you to Katahdin". You could have all the tricks and tips in the world and it won't make your hike fun.

Anyway, I have a bunch of little tricks, but I won't tell you which website I post them on ;)

eyahiker
08-08-2004, 10:46
I always check them out.......they've directly influenced several of my purchases.:)

WalkinHome
08-08-2004, 18:01
Take too many pictures of people and then take some more. Be Safe

rumbler
08-08-2004, 18:06
Take as much time as you can, be it a thru-hike or a weekend outing. You never need to hurry as much as your mind would have you believe.

Jersey Bob
08-09-2004, 08:31
at least 10 characters

Alligator
08-09-2004, 09:38
First, I'll be practical. Make a trip list. Mine has two sections: an equipment list and a menu. I have a master list of all potential backpacking items on a spreadsheet, with two boxes next to each item, need and have. Every piece of equipment gets checked off when it is in my pack. If it is not a pack item, such as boots or poles, the item gets checked off when it makes it into the car. The menu section has all my meals and snacks listed, even condiments. These get checked off as they make my food bag. And once the items are on a spreadsheet, you can weigh them and add that information too.

&

Hike in all seasons and learn to accept what nature delivers to you.

eyahiker
08-09-2004, 10:39
Now there's a few backpacking tips.

Jack Tarlin
08-09-2004, 12:00
Instead of spending all sorts of time and energy figuring how you can go faster and further each day, I'd pack some extra supplies, study your maps and guidebooks so you know what's ahead of you, and then I'd figure out how one cound go slower, do fewer miles, takes horter days in order to enjoy what you've seen and where you're camping, etc. Whatever time frame you have planned for your hike, I'd make sure to re-arrange things so you had extra time to play with so at NO point in your trip were you making miles because you HAD to....you should go for big days when you WANT to, you should start your days late and finish early whenver you want, you should never feel guilty or pressured if you take extra breaks or take some unplanned days off, either in town, or better yet, in the middle of town.

To sum this up, advice-wise: Years after your trip, I bet there are very few people who say "I wish I'd gone faster and done more miles each day." But I bet there are a lot who wish the opposite was true.

SavageLlama
08-11-2004, 13:36
Ditch the heavy boots for light trail sneakers. And wear ankle gaiters to keep the scree out of 'em.

The Scribe
08-11-2004, 18:55
The next time your on the trail, stop ! don't move ! close your eyes and just
listen! ;)
HOW TRUE

I climbed Wahington last Saturday on the Jewell/Gulfside Trails. Between the people, the Cog, and the auto road, there was never a dull moment.

But on the way down, a magical thing happened. The fog closed in, giving me just enough visibility to see the next cairn, there was a lull in the train action, and there was noone within ear shot. There was also no wind.

I stopped, realized how PERFECTLY silent it was, started to take another step, then made myself stop again and listen to absolutely nothing. It only lasted for a minute, but there was NOTHING more beautiful.

pcm

Phoenix7
08-12-2004, 00:38
Best to keep drinking to a minimum on the trail. Lots of hiking will make you get drunk easily on less alchohol. Also alchohol saps your' strength not only the next day but for a few days after some drinking.

Phoenix

Pencil Pusher
08-12-2004, 01:17
Bring the one you love to share the experience with.

Tha Wookie
08-12-2004, 02:58
wipe the snot out your beard before you go into town

squirrel bait
08-12-2004, 07:47
Carry enough water(or plan carefully) to be able to stop where ya want. Ya will always be finding places ya want to camp/hang out and ya may not have enough water to do so. Drink all ya can in the morning or at any water site and try to save your water. I know I would have liked to camped on top of Dragons Tooth but didn't have enough water.