PDA

View Full Version : i miss hiking :(

double j
10-05-2009, 21:00
Well i was laid off and i did tons of back packing including the smokys. but now i started this job . and they have the most screwed up scheldule i have ever seen . this is what it looks like.
mon-off
tues-work
wed-work
thurs-off
fri-work
sat-off
sun-work

Im so sad that i have no time to hike.What ever god has planned for me i sure hope he gets on the ball .I miss being in the woods with my crew (cabin fever) but oh well least i have a job i guess.

Cabin Fever
10-05-2009, 21:09
What are the chances I am the first to respond? I hate that your schedule is like that. I miss hiking too. Been super busy with life stuff - work, house projects, weddings, etc.

Hang in there.

skinewmexico
10-05-2009, 21:11
Weird schedule. What are they trying to do, make sure you don't get OT?

Jonnycat
10-06-2009, 00:12
Try not to get "the flu" once a month on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. ;)

Tipi Walter
10-06-2009, 00:15
Do you have a backyard? If so, set up a tent and maybe you can still get your bag nights.

nitewalker
10-06-2009, 07:40
now that is for sure a horrible schedule! i guess if you take the occasional sunday off there mite be time for a fairly decent jaunt thru the mountains or whereever you may choose......good luck with that schedule...

p.s. my work schedule ends in 3 weeks then i have nov thru march off to play..self employment allows me the luxury to do it this way..:D:D

bigcranky
10-06-2009, 08:01
Yeah, it might come down to the need to chuck a sickie on a Friday, as our Aussie friends say. That'll get you a three-day, anyway.

WalkingStick75
10-06-2009, 08:11
I have worked some weird schedules but they always had at least two day off that were next to each other. The worst one I ever had was:

3 days on, 2 off day shift
3 days on, 2 off, afternoons
3 days on, 2 off, mids
repeat

Worked this for over a year.... ouch!

Deadeye
10-06-2009, 08:49
suck it up and day hike until you can change the schedule.

Tipi Walter
10-06-2009, 09:21
suck it up and day hike until you can change the schedule.

Or find a part time job or one-day-a-week job as a church janitor and set up a Wall tent or yurt and dumpster dive and get food stamps, anything to be outdoors.

Tilly
10-06-2009, 09:41
Well, it does look like you won't get much time for backpacking. Are you close to trails? How about dayhiking? Much nicer to be out during the week when trails are less crowded. How about biking? Going on a picnic? Canoing on a lake? I'm just trying to look on the bright side.

The Snowman
10-06-2009, 12:10
you got 3 days a week to go hiking most people only get two count your blessing's, but yeah not haveing back to back days is rough.

Red Hat
10-06-2009, 13:45
How about no days to go hiking? I'm nursing a sick husband until he gets better.

ShelterLeopard
10-06-2009, 13:49
Well, you could manipulate the swine flu hysteria. Okay, here's the plan- once in a while, come to work on Tuesday coughing, with one of those blue face masks, then on Friday and Sunday call in sick!

Well, maybe you shouldn't do that... What do you do? Can you get other people to trade shifts with you occasionally?

Gray Blazer
10-06-2009, 14:05
Wah! Wah! Wah! Call the Wahambulance! Seeing as how you live in Gate City in the heart of mountain hiking land, I have no pity. You are off three days a week. If it were me, I'd have everything packed so when I got off work before a day off, I could head to, say....Hughes Gap, or Beauty Spot or Carver's Gap or.....get the picture? Backpack till dark, set up your tent and you got the whole next day to hike.

Gaiter
10-06-2009, 16:27
the only thing consistent about my schedule is that it is inconsistent (and i've had 9 days off since late june), so look at the bright side, you have three days a week where you can dayhike....

Tipi Walter
10-06-2009, 16:30
You're young, you've got your health, what do you need a job for?

Gaiter
10-06-2009, 16:34
You're young, you've got your health, what do you need a job for?

hiking, rent, bills :D:D:D

David@whiteblaze
10-06-2009, 17:11
its spelled the wahmbulance. being in school is so hard:only sun and sat off with the stray mon or fri off and only 2 weeks for christmas and spring breaks? and summer vacations... dont even get me started... :smile

double j
10-06-2009, 17:54
well i have done alot of day hiking , now its coming to where i have to drive an hr or 2 to pick up where i left off. but tired or not im going hiking tomorrow after work cause im off thurs.
Im gonna start at va. 603, fox creek and hike to marion its around 23 miles not a bad get away.May stay at hurricane mt shelter or might even get in some night hiking. Since all the crazy hunters wont be out ha ha

Hooch
10-06-2009, 18:17
Now that the nice, crisp, cool weather of the fall hiking season is upon us, I'm rather enjoying my work schedule. I work as a nurse 3 days a week, 12 hour shifts with 4 days off. Been hiking the past 2 weekends and going again this weekend, probably. :D

Blissful
10-06-2009, 19:28
Well i was laid off and i did tons of back packing including the smokys. but now i started this job . and they have the most screwed up scheldule i have ever seen . this is what it looks like.
mon-off
tues-work
wed-work
thurs-off
fri-work
sat-off
sun-work

Im so sad that i have no time to hike.What ever god has planned for me i sure hope he gets on the ball .I miss being in the woods with my crew (cabin fever) but oh well least i have a job i guess.

Shoot, you're still young. I used to have a schedule like that. You make the best of it. Travel to your destination after work, camp in the woods, hike around and drive bacK. At least you're in VA which has tons of trails, not just the AT. But don't grumble and blame God for it. Work with it. I didn't do any long distance hiking until I was 44 . Save up vacation and sick time and hike longer then.

sbhikes
10-06-2009, 23:08
Your schedule won't last forever. Can you have your pack in your car on Friday and leave from work directly to the trailhead, then return late Saturday?

double j
10-08-2009, 21:11
well just got back from a small section va.603 to marion great hike gotta say tho im beat . let straight after work headed to 603 to park . changed clothes and away i went. Seen a ton of southbounders. I did a little night hiking to reach hurricane mt campground where i settled down for night beside a creek, woke up at 830 later than i wanted to. Finished a nice hike at the mount rogers headqaurters.Where my love picked me up

Doctari
10-15-2009, 20:31
Hello my name is Doctari,
(All: Hi Doctari)
I've gone 2 months without hiking.
(All: AWWWW!)
AND, a few minutes ago I stupidly looked at nearly all of the pictures of my previous hikes.
(All: Sounds of astonishment & "that was stupid")
Well,, it was a gift from my youngest son, he did a montage to music (The Muppets :p ) on a CD for me. But I went & watched it twice.
OMG! I AM SO TRAILSICK I'M ABOUT TO THROW UP!!! :eek: No exaggeration, I am nauseous. :(

SIGH!