PDA

View Full Version : Gear List - Please Comment

L-dawg
10-06-2009, 08:28
:DAfter a previous post that I made - General Preparation for the AT (Main Query: Maps) - I cooked up a first draft gear list of all MAJOR items, and I would really appreciate some advise and constructive criticism.

Just to set the scene: I am northbounding with my girlfriend, starting in Springer in late february... so obviously maximising preformance in cold conditions and minimising weight are very much the issue. However, my girlfriend and I are graduates, so aren't really swimming in money like Scrooge McDuck...

Right, so, here is the list. If the item is "Not decided", then please give you opinion as to what you would suggest... taking into account our financial situation... AND whether this is or isn't necessary/alternatives etc. My own thoughts on "Not decided" items are in red next to them. Thank you so much!

Tent: Tarptent (Henry Shires) Scarp 2 (4 Season Rating)
http://www.tarptent.com/scarp2.html
$325, 54oz
Sleeping Bag: Northface Blue Kazoo (Temp Rating 15F/-10C - 600 Down Fill)
http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=10544&storeId=207&catalogId=10201&langId=-1&from=subCat&parent_category_rn=11749&variationId=198
$249, 2 lbs 12 oz (Regular Length)
Sleeping Matt: Not decided.
Sleeping Liner: Not decided. Needed for down sleeping bag for extra warmth and to ensure the bag doesn't get dirty (nightmare to clean!)
Back pack (for her): Mens GoLite Pinnacle
http://www.golite.com/Product/ProdDetail.aspx?p=PA5263
$150, 2 lbs 0 oz
Back pack (for me): GoLite Quest
http://www.golite.com/Product/ProdDetail.aspx?p=PA5261
$175, 3 lbs 3 oz
Rucksack Rain Cover: Not decided. Something light and cheap!
I kind of ran out of time to finish this properly :D... Any advise on winter weather clothing?

Thanks a lot!

L-dawg

Blissful
10-06-2009, 10:23
Well I'd definitely get the silk liner for her. I've heard mixed reviews on the accuracy of temp rating of NF bags.
You guys are young - probably just z rests or the like for pads will work for you.

Some say just go with a liner in your pack and no pack cover. But I always take a pack cover.

She will need a down jacket for sure. Merino wool items work well, and also to hike in.

Lyle
10-06-2009, 11:29
:DAfter a previous post that I made - General Preparation for the AT (Main Query: Maps) - I cooked up a first draft gear list of all MAJOR items, and I would really appreciate some advise and constructive criticism.

Just to set the scene: I am northbounding with my girlfriend, starting in Springer in late february... so obviously maximising preformance in cold conditions and minimising weight are very much the issue. However, my girlfriend and I are graduates, so aren't really swimming in money like Scrooge McDuck...

Right, so, here is the list. If the item is "Not decided", then please give you opinion as to what you would suggest... taking into account our financial situation... AND whether this is or isn't necessary/alternatives etc. My own thoughts on "Not decided" items are in red next to them. Thank you so much!

http://www.tarptent.com/scarp2.html
$325, 54oz
http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=10544&storeId=207&catalogId=10201&langId=-1&from=subCat&parent_category_rn=11749&variationId=198
$249, 2 lbs 12 oz (Regular Length)
Sleeping Liner: Not decided. Needed for down sleeping bag for extra warmth and to ensure the bag doesn't get dirty (nightmare to clean!)
$150, 2 lbs 0 oz
$175, 3 lbs 3 oz

I kind of ran out of time to finish this properly :D... Any advise on winter weather clothing?

Thanks a lot!

L-dawg

No current information of the Blue Kazoo bags. They have been around for a long time, and used to have a good reputation.

Let us know how the Scarp works out. I've been considering one of these myself.

For winter clothing. I like Moreno wool longjohns for hiking in when it gets real cold, and for around camp. For sleeping, I prefer silk - VERY light and it feels good to put on clean, dry base layer for bed. Several layers of wicking shirts, wind layer and rain gear usually suffices for hiking. I like to have a synthetic insulating layer that can be used while hiking on an extremely cold day, but would normally be used at night in camp. A vest usually suffices for this. Check out PrimaLoft - best synthetic out there for my money.

A light down jacket, possibly with a hood would be very welcome in camp - not good for hiking. This combination will be more compressible and lighter than trying to carry fleece. These base layers, down jacket, vest and a wind layer will keep you toasty at some pretty cold temps. Lower body insulation is also optional, I just count on my two base layers with wind/rain gear over top. Any time that is insufficient, I will put my legs into my bag while cooking, reading, eating.

For gloves, I like a liner of silk, with a medium weight wool or acrylic insulating glove. This allows you to remove the heavier glove, but still have some protection when dexterity is needed. In real cold (single digit and below) I like a medium weight wool glove, with nylon shell overmitts. This combo is amazingly versatile and warm. Mittens, either alone or in combo with gloves, are MUCH warmer in real cold than gloves alone.

For hats I prefer wool or acrylic knit hats and balaclavas. My experience with fleece hats is that they cause chapping of the forehead or face when worn long-term while damp. In cold weather you will seldom remove your hat, so this becomes an issue.

Sleeping mat: consider two layers for the beginning of your trip, then send one home when the nights warm up. DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE IMPORTANCE OF GROUND INSULATION. Lack of adequate bottom insulation will mean you will be cold no matter how good your bag, or how much clothing you wear while sleeping. Down booties are very much worth their weight both around camp and while sleeping. Add a GREAT deal of comfort.

Hope this gives you some things to think about.

Good Luck and HAVE FUN!!!!

DaveJohns
10-06-2009, 14:06
Hey, good to see someone else braving the trail early in the year! I will be heading north on /around the 15th, so maybe I'll see you on the trail.

Looks like you have a great selection of gear, I am saving up for a tarptent myself.

Sleeping pad: I have been on a quest for a lightweight and effective pad for a while. I was using self-inflating pads, thinking I needed to save space. Not worth the effort. So far for me, the best pad I have found is the Thermarest Z-lite. 14oz for the full size pad, sure it is kinda big, but I just strap it to the outside of my pack and go. On short-duration (like a weekender) trips, I will add my shortlenght Thermarest NeoAir (9oz) and sleep like a king! To be honest, I will probably start my hike with both - it is only a half pound, and that extra insulation will come in handy. If you decide on just ONE pad, make sure it is closed cell foam, OR be sure to bring lots of repair patches for your inflatable!

Rain cover. How about a good poncho? I use one, and it covers both me and my pack. It weighs less than a rain jacket and pack cover, and you dont have the issue of the pack straps (and the back) getting soaked. I currently use a plain old military surplus poncho, but a GoLite or other silnylon is on the shopping list.

Best of luck, and see you on the trail!

skinewmexico
10-06-2009, 14:15
Tent - I love Tarptents, but you may want to swap it out once it warms up just to have less weight. Or at least get the screen inner. Or is that weight with the screen inner?

Sleeping bags - I'm just not a big North Face fan anymore; maybe 10-15 years ago. I think I'd buy one of the Luxurylite closeouts (factory overfilled by mistake) for $99. Or one of the WM Caribou bags you see on EBay for $179. You can always add clothes and a UL bivy to make them warmer. Oh wait, if you've already bought them.....nevermind....

Golite Pinnacle - I have one, and they are very prone to collapse when overloaded, and all the weight goes on your shoulders. Great for bulky, but UL loads. I use my ULA a lot more now.

Rain cover - use a trash bag for a liner.

Dogwood
10-06-2009, 16:43

http://www.tarptent.com/scarp2.html (http://www.tarptent.com/scarp2.html)
$325, 54oz good choice in case you get some light snow early on in the hike, could get a smaller tent so you snuggle more often

$249, 2 lbs 12 oz (Regular Length) if you got your heart set on this sleeping bag no need to spend $249 on a reg, Campmoor has them on sale for $189.98, that's a very good price for this bag, there are other sleeping bags available with an accurate 15 * temp. rating that do weigh less, but virtually all of them are going to cost more

Sleeping Matt: Not decided. for a Feb start consider extra insulation from the ground in the form of those cheapy blue/gray somewhat bulky closed cell foam pads or a Thinlight insulating closed cell foam sold by Gossamer Gear, add one of these insulating pads to your reg sleep pad/inflatable mattress, send the extra insulation home when temps warm

A Cocoon silk sleeping bag liner is about $40, the cotton version about $20, they will certainly help keep your sleeping bag cleaner but only give a practical 4-8 * boost to the temp rating of your sleeping bag

$150, 2 lbs 0 oz fine hauler for the Misses, Is this the appropiate sized volume(4400 cubic ins.") for her gear?

$175, 3 lbs 3 oz fine, Does this pack have the features and volume you desire or need? Have both, you and your girlfriend tried these packs on in the outfitters with all your gear in them or the anticipated wt. of your gear in them? If it doesn't feel right at the outfitter that feeling will probably be multiplied on the trail. Make sure you get fitted for a pack from an outfitter that knows what they are doing. Have your torso lengths measured by a reputable backpack sales rep.

Rucksack Rain Cover: Not decided. Something light and cheap! lightest cheapest is a plastic garbage bag, line the inside of your pack with one and get another for the outside, expect to replace these often, which can be a bit of a hassle, as they rip/puncture easily and may not fit on the outside of your pack fully, since you are starting at a time when you could definitely encounter snow and you'll encounter rain, probably heavy at times on the AT, you could just purchase a Sea to Summit UL SilNylon pack cover weighing about 2 ozs for about $20, another way to go is to place the pack cover over your pack and line the inside of your pack with a garbage bag when extended rain is in the forecast

Thanks a lot!

L-dawg

...maximizing performance in cold conditions and minimizing weight are very much the issue...I like that L-dawg. Seems like you are on the right track knowing that, but also realize maximizing performance in cold conditions isn't just about choosing gear it's largely about how you react and what you bring to the table. Your gear doesn't do everything on its own. Minimizing weight is a noble goal, but that can sometimes take some money that you may not presently have so you have to prioritize and find some balance in what you buy.

Dogwood
10-06-2009, 17:06

http://www.tarptent.com/scarp2.html (http://www.tarptent.com/scarp2.html)
$325, 54oz good choice in case you get some light snow early on in the hike, could get a smaller tent so you snuggle more often

$249, 2 lbs 12 oz (Regular Length) if you got your heart set on this sleeping bag no need to spend $249 on a reg, Campmoor has them on sale for $189.98, that's a very good price for this bag, there are other sleeping bags available with an accurate 15 * temp. rating that do weigh less, but virtually all of them are going to cost more

Sleeping Matt: Not decided. for a Feb start consider extra insulation from the ground in the form of those cheapy blue/gray somewhat bulky closed cell foam pads or a Thinlight insulating closed cell foam sold by Gossamer Gear, add one of these insulating pads to your reg sleep pad/inflatable mattress, send the extra insulation home when temps warm

A Cocoon silk sleeping bag liner is about $40, the cotton version about $20, they will certainly help keep your sleeping bag cleaner but only give a practical 4-8 * boost to the temp rating of your sleeping bag

$150, 2 lbs 0 oz fine hauler for the Misses, Is this the appropiate sized volume(4400 cubic ins.") for her gear?

$175, 3 lbs 3 oz fine, Does this pack have the features and volume you desire or need? Have both, you and your girlfriend tried these packs on in the outfitters with all your gear in them or the anticipated wt. of your gear in them? If it doesn't feel right at the outfitter that feeling will probably be multiplied on the trail. Make sure you get fitted for a pack from an outfitter that knows what they are doing. Have your torso lengths measured by a reputable backpack sales rep.

Rucksack Rain Cover: Not decided. Something light and cheap! lightest cheapest is a plastic garbage bag, line the inside of your pack with one and get another for the outside, expect to replace these often, which can be a bit of a hassle, as they rip/puncture easily and may not fit on the outside of your pack fully, since you are starting at a time when you could definitely encounter snow and you'll encounter rain, probably heavy at times on the AT, you could just purchase a Sea to Summit UL SilNylon pack cover weighing about 2 ozs for about $20, another way to go is to place the pack cover over your pack and line the inside of your pack with a garbage bag when extended rain is in the forecast

Thanks a lot!

L-dawg

...maximizing performance in cold conditions and minimizing weight are very much the issue...I like that L-dawg. Seems like you are on the right track knowing that, but also realize maximizing performance in cold conditions isn't just about choosing gear it's largely about how you react and what you bring to the table. Your gear doesn't do everything on its own. Minimizing weight is a noble goal, but that can sometimes take some money that you may not presently have so you have to prioritize and find some balance in what you buy.

RedRunnerJumper
10-07-2009, 01:02
I honestly dont know much about the gear listed but I am using ur ideas and gear on your list for mental notes for when I start to make my gear list.

L-dawg
10-07-2009, 05:15
Thank you all for your advise... keep it coming.

Dogwood: Yes I think the optimisation problem I suggested may be considered "NP Hard"... hahaha! I like the fact that you picked up on that, and I completely agree with your advise. I think money does take priority over weight, and performance sits somewhere in the middle.. we are young after all! And like so many people say (but in my own words), its the brain not the gear that gets you to Maine. .
I think the GoLite Pinnacle is a good choice for my gal, your probing the right area about the capacity though! But I think 72litres will suffices... ahem. I am going to try the Quest on before I buy it, and hopefully after your advise ask them to stuff it with gear so I can adjust it and see what it feels like! Thank you very much dogwood, more comments much appreciated!
skinewmexico: Yes, the tarptents are amazing, and Henry Shires is a legend. I have emailed him a few times with questions and he replies honestly very quickly, can send you extra photos of the tents and give you bags of extra information. I highly recommend considering these tents to anyone reading this. The Scarp 2 does come with both fly standing and inside-net self standing options, so since it is a 4 season tent with 2 doors, im almost adamant that it covers all the possible weather conditions we will experience on the trail.
Many say its a tent that performs averagely in all weather conditions... perfect for a thru-hike!! For those wanting something a sturdy 2-man tent at a cheaper price... look at the "Double Rainbow". I haven't already bought them, so I will check out the sleeping bags you suggested! Whats a ULA backpack? Thanks!
DaveJohns: Excellent point with the rucksack and raincovers. When walking in the rain, there is nothing more horrendous than the backpad of your rucksack getting drenched, and then you have to put it on when the weather dies down... it always leads to your t-shirt slowly riding up, gradually displaying your torso. Not appropriate with the number of boyscouts around I think! As for the sleeping pad, I have been told by many that the most effective pad is actually a roll up foam matt. Why? They are by far the cheapest and they trap air and so are better at insulating. The downside is that they are the least comfortable! Hopefully I will see you on the trail!
Blissful: silk for the lady, what a gentleman. I will have a look at those down jackets, thanks!
RedRunnerJumper: gear is a pain in the behind, but remember, the best advise is to spend a weekend or two away, if its raining through yourself outside for the weekend walking. You'll come back and know what you need! If you've already done this, then i guess its just about deciding which item to get, and you'll get it soon.
Thanks again to all, and sorry if i missed you out!

L-dawg
10-07-2009, 05:16
redrunner: *throw, not through... to early in england at the moment!

DTG
10-07-2009, 05:28
for what its worth im not convinced on the golite pinnacle - for a thru 72 litres seems too much. My pinnacle had broken down by damascus. i swapped it for a ULA pack (i think about 60litres) and it worked so much better but youd struggle to get one in the UK
http://www.ula-equipment.com/packoverview.asp

on the sleeping bag i dont really know that much about it but a 15 rating means that you will definitely need to swap it out when the weather improves - i think a 20 rating should see you ok through the cold and you could probably get away with using it the whole way (posting a bag back to uk would cost about $60. i used this bag the whole way.
http://www.hike-lite.co.uk/Other/Sleeping+Bags/Adrenaline+20.html?gclid=CKu4xbrPqp0CFZ1h4wodZ159k Q

good luck!

DaveJohns
10-07-2009, 06:52
Hi again L-Dawg. Just had a thought occur to me. A lot of people talk about posting gear back and forth, but it could get a little expensive tossing stuff across the Atlantic all the time. Perhaps you could find an Outfitter somewhere up north, and ship to them? Then when you finish the hike, just drop by that shoppe (or hotel or whatever) and pick your gear up for the flight home. May save a few dollars at least.

L-dawg
10-07-2009, 11:54
DaveJohn: excellent idea! I'll look into it.

Thanks for the ULA link and bag advise DTG :) I look into them. Do you think that a -7C/20F sleeping bag is good for the appalachians in the late february, throughout march? Anyone? I'd like to air on the side of caution, and don't mind sleeping with my legs out of a 10F/15F bag if its warm, or just using the cotton liner!

Comments on my clothing list are most welcome:

For cold weather walking:
600 down jacket (waterproof), microfleece (with 1 spare), t-shirt, gloves and balaclava.
For wet weather walking (cold):
Northface Downpour Jacket, Microfleece, t-shirt, (and of course waterproof trousers)
For wet weather walking (not cold)
Northface Downpour Jacket, T-shirt(s)

we are trying to cheat and not have to change gear too much.. but I know this will happen. So i propose we take (each):
2/3 shirts
2 microfleeces
NF Downpour Jacket
Down Jacket
Gloves
Hat

Anything else?
What about insulated trousers?

Thanks guys!

dreamsoftrails
10-07-2009, 13:04
Do you think that a -7C/20F sleeping bag is good for the appalachians in the late february, throughout march? Anyone? I'd like to air on the side of caution...
erring on the side of caution, i would seek a little more. you can surely 'get by' with a 20 degree bag, but there may be some regretful nights.

DTG
10-07-2009, 15:17
a 20 degree bag with liner and assuming you have thermal base layers if things get too much and you should be fine. i was in the smokies mid march and there were some cold nights but i was thinking more about you shipping things back and forwards to the uk. I was pretty much stuck with everything i started with until the end.
as far as the pack goes you wont be able to try out a ula since they dont sell them in the uk so id maybe reccomend looking at an osprey pack; ive never had one but theyre very popular on the AT and ive not heard a bad word against them

futureatwalker
10-07-2009, 16:17
:DSleeping Bag: Northface Blue Kazoo (Temp Rating 15F/-10C - 600 Down Fill)

I've got one and love it. Not the lightest thing ever, but warm and reliable. I'm quite comfortable to below freezing in it. Last November I stayed in a shelter outside of Harper's Ferry W.V. (during, admittedly, quite a cold snap) and did get a little chilled at night. I put that down to temperature - it must have been low 20's (-7 or so C) or colder - sleeping in a shelter, and sleeping on a cheap foam mat (£4 ($6) from Tesco; hey, it only weighed 4 oz.). Lessons learned: use a therma-rest (I've found the inflatable to be warmer than their foam pad), and consider sleeping in your tent instead of a shelter when it's cold. Also, if it's really cold and you have enough fuel, boil a bottle of water and put it in the foot of your sleeping bag before you turn in.

As above. Therma-rest or something - for the insulation value.

Can't speak to the backpack too much. I've got a ULA catalyst (I think) and it is nice and light. Had a friend bring it over from the states.

Bought one from Campmor, a US mail order place for camping gear. Maybe $9 or so - light and cheap - I think it's called a universal pack cover.

The other thing you might think about is an umbrella. I used mine many days when I section-hiked Georgia. I have this go-lite umbrella that was £9 ($12) from some on-line place in the UK. You could even use this in the Lake District after your AT trip.

DaveJohns
10-07-2009, 16:39
A -7C bag, plus your fleece, plus the liner, plus a warm bottle at your feet, plus one of these (http://www.redflarekits.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rfes&Product_Code=1037&Category_Code=), and you should be fine!

...at least I hope so. Thats what I am carrying!