PDA

View Full Version : Section hiking the AT

horicon
10-06-2009, 16:16
What time of the year is it best to start section hiking the AT???? I live in New York.

ShoelessWanderer
10-06-2009, 16:19
Section hiking or thru hiking? If you are section hiking it depends on which section you are planning on hiking. I normally figure out when I can hike and then find a good location based on the season.

toegem
10-06-2009, 16:20
Any time is good as long as you are properly equiped, with the right equipment for the conditions and the knowledge.

Blissful
10-06-2009, 19:24
I like the fall and early spring myself. Up there though it could get chilly.

Ol Mole
10-06-2009, 19:31
I'm in Virginia and like to hike here and in NC in the fall and winter. No bugs, less busy on the trail and with the leaves off the trees, a better view. If you have the right equipment, any time is good. During a snowfall is a magic time for me as the woods get real still and quiet as the snow falls.

Good luck.

Tin Man
10-06-2009, 22:02
I have been section hiking the AT from New York north for a few years. Fall in New England is my favorite time to hike. Bugs and crowds are down. Comfortable temps for hiking and sleeping between mid-Sept and mid-October up to the Whites. Might want to hike the Whites before October.

Doctari
10-06-2009, 22:08
One of the nice things about sectioning is you can pick & choose. For example: the Smokies in fall for the changing of the leaves. Anywhere in spring to watch the rebirth. Avoid Black Fly season. Miss the hike up "Dante's inferno" in summer. Summit 'Big K" without worrying (too much) about really bad weather. Pick an area with several swimming areas & go in summer. Or, for smaller crowds, or no people at all, go in winter. An added bonus to winter hiking; many views blocked by trees & stuff in the other three seasons are unobstructed.
If sectioning & you have bad weather, so what, you are only out there for a few weeks, have fun with it.

A aggravation about section hiking: just as you are starting to get your "Trail legs" it's time to go home.

Hikes in Rain
10-07-2009, 06:14
Another aggravations: it's now over nine hours travel time to get back to the spot I left the Trail!

Isn't it time to retire yet??

Doctari
10-07-2009, 07:34
Another aggravations: it's now over nine hours travel time to get back to the spot I left the Trail!

Isn't it time to retire yet??

I so understand. For me, the trail is getting closer, it's down to about 6 hrs now, but when I get to about New York its a 13 hr drive. But I suppose for you its nothing but longer & longer drives. Sorry.

Yep, time to retire.

UM, when/where do you hike again?

Hikes in Rain
10-07-2009, 07:40
Started at Springer long ago and started ambling north. Every once in a while, I get a chance to pick it up again. So far, I just completed the Smokies last May, and haven't had the opportunity to go since. Planned a longish hike last May, but my wife's father passed away a couple of weeks before I would have left, and......

The worst part is, I can't even acuse him of doing it on purpose, 'cause he's not here to argue with me! (Or, knowing him, more likely just grin and refuse to answer) He'd have loved that.

Retire or relocate. Hmm...I do have a Georgia engineering license that's not doing anything now......

modiyooch
10-07-2009, 07:40
If I had to do it over, I would schedule hikes at both ends and work toward the middle. Reason being, I can be be on the trail by April in the South, and the NE in Aug. I only have the state of VT left, and it kills me to wait until July/Aug to schedule my trip.
I also depends on what season you like to hike. I don't like the winter due to the cold and the extra gear. I can handle the heat of the summer.

modiyooch
10-07-2009, 07:44
A aggravation about section hiking: just as you are starting to get your "Trail legs" it's time to go home. Pysically it is tougher; mentally it is easier.

ShoelessWanderer
10-07-2009, 10:50
I'm in Virginia and like to hike here and in NC in the fall and winter. No bugs, less busy on the trail and with the leaves off the trees, a better view. If you have the right equipment, any time is good. During a snowfall is a magic time for me as the woods get real still and quiet as the snow falls.

Good luck.

Absolutly! So happy that fall is here! It's the best time to go hiking. Give it another month or so and NO one will be on the trail. It's a great time to hike, and you're right, the views are so much better!

P.S. Yay for Roanoke people!

XCskiNYC
10-07-2009, 22:00
This month is a good time. You can join me NOBO'ing CT. Wear a blaze orange hat.