PDA

View Full Version : VCT- my first extended hike

Gramps
10-06-2009, 22:42
If the good Lord is willing and the creek don't rise, I will do a hike end-to-end on the VA Creeper Trail Sun, Mon, and Tues. I know this may not seem like much for those who section or thru-hike the AT, but for me it is a significant first step to becoming a true backpacker. I've never attempted this distance in this timeframe, although I have hiked it's entire 34+ miles over a period of a few years. But hopefully come Tuesday afternoon, I will be able to look back with a sense of pride and accomplishment. That should give me the boost I need to undertake bigger and better things, hopefully trying an overnight in the next 12-18 months. So wish me luck.

Tagless
10-07-2009, 07:51
Excellent plan Gramps! Congratulations for getting out there. Ten to twelve miles a day is comfortably doable on this trail.

This should be a very beautiful hike. My wife and I made note of places we wanted to return to during our AT hike and this was definitely one of them.

Let us know how everything goes.

Mother Nature
10-07-2009, 09:03
Good luck and keep us posted on how things worked out for you.

JJJ
10-07-2009, 09:54
Have a good hike Gramps.
I live about half mile off the trail near the Holston confluence.
I'm out there a lot running -our paths may cross.
Don't forget to stop at Fattie's for a snack at mile 16.2 in Damascus.
Are you camping along the way?

Good Luck
JJJ

Gramps
10-07-2009, 23:01
Have a good hike Gramps.
I live about half mile off the trail near the Holston confluence.
I'm out there a lot running -our paths may cross.
Don't forget to stop at Fattie's for a snack at mile 16.2 in Damascus.
Are you camping along the way?

Good Luck
JJJ

No, thanks to our good friend Lone_Wolf, he is providing me with shuttle service. I'm not quite ready to carry a full pack. I'll be doing start to Straight Branch day 1 (about 14 miles), SB to Alvarado day 2 (12 miles), and Alva to Abingdon day 3 (8 miles). Wanted to make the first day the longest while I still have fresh legs. And I need a short day the last day as I have to be back at work Wed. and have a 3 hour drive home Tuesday afternoon. But I'll definitely post my results next week.

Jester2000
10-08-2009, 13:34
Awesome! Best of luck! Remember to keep hydrated, even if it's not hot out!

Mags
10-08-2009, 13:54
Have a great time! :sun

Gramps
10-08-2009, 22:15
I appreciate all the kudos and tips. I definitely will keep hydrated. Most of my pack weight (such as it is) is H20. and I will carry my water filter and fill up when I get down. I'm not adverse to even knocking on someone's door and asking to use their spigot if necessary. I've found most everyone along the VCT to be very nice and cordial. Weather looks to be ideal (maybe a little rain on Monday, but hey...) and the temps nice also.