PDA

View Full Version : Tent Camping - Gatlinburg (campground/day hike suggestions)

Foxtrot
10-06-2009, 23:25
The last week of this month I am going camping with a few old high school buddies in the Gatlinburg area. This is tent camping, but not primative. Anyways, I'm looking for some recommendations for campgrounds close to Gatlinburg.

Just need a spot to put a tent, with water and power and build a fire. If anyone has a suggestion, please shout it out. All the ones I've found are RV oriented. I wouldn't mind staying inside the Park, but 2 of the guys are comfort oriented, so they want to be as near to Gatlinburg as possible and have electricity. If there are some cheap cabins that sleep 4 guys, then we might consider them as well. All the cabins I've seen are over 100+ a night, so that's out of our price range.

On one of the days that we are there, I plan on doing a day hike on the AT from Newfound Gap to Charlie's Bunion and back. I've done that once before and thoroughly enjoyed it. However, it anyone has any other day hike suggestions, I'm all ears. Either a loop, or one way, as I can get someone to pick me up. I will be doing it by myself and would like to be on the AT, but it's not a requirement. 10 miles is probably the limit I would want to do.

daltrey
10-10-2009, 23:22
You could stay at Elkmont. It's probably 5 miles from gatlinburg. There is also a ranger station there with maps and information about the dayhikes leading out of the campsite.

Gray Blazer
10-10-2009, 23:36
Cosby is another choice. Walk up to Cammerer tower.

brotheral
10-11-2009, 07:42
I camp at Elkmont several times every year. Alot of good sites on the river :sun, but none with electricity. I "don't think" any of the NPS campgrounds / campsites in The Smokies have electricity or showers. As far as cabins or rooms go you may be looking at a very expensive time of year as leaves are peaking soon.
Newfound Gap to Charlies Bunion is one of my favorite hikes :welcome

sliderule
10-13-2009, 19:41
I "don't think" any of the NPS campgrounds / campsites in The Smokies have electricity or showers.

Deep Creek CG comes close to having showers. It's right on the park boundary; all you have to do is step across the boundary and walk can right into a shower.

Foxtrot
10-26-2009, 18:17
Thanks to all who responded. Due to the comfort requirements of 2 guys in our party, we decided to go with a cabin in Pigeon Forge.

I will most likely do the Newfound Gap to Charlie's Bunion and back trek. Also, I may do a second 8-10 mile dayhike, but I'm still contemplating that one.

birdog
10-26-2009, 18:39
No electricity is provided in the park. No showers either. Bathrooms with COLD water if you want to take a sponge bath or heat some water on a stove a do it fireside. Pigeon Forge will be crowded with tourists and "leaf peepers" so get ready for the traffic jam of a lifetime. Sometimes it takes 4 hours to get from the edge of Gatlinburg to Newfound Gap parking area due to "bear jams" and just general conjestion. Just got back from there and the traffic on 441 was the worst I've ever seen. Once we got to the trailhead we lost ourselves away from the crowds and were much happier. Although I complain about the crowds, The Smoky Mountain Knife Works(in Pigeon Forge) made up for it with some HUGE savings on 2 new Swiss Army Knives. Good Luck

Doctari
10-27-2009, 07:25
Not exactly "Close" to G-Burg, but check out Townsend Tn (The town just outside the park near Cade's Cove) http://www.smokymountains.org/ I haven't camped there, but if memory serves, there is a campground just outside of the park that looks nice as I drive by.
Townsend is a lesser known area, so may have more vacancies. I can get to Pigeon forge in about 30 minutes, Gatlinburg in 45. Both times during Non Tourist times of the year.