PDA

View Full Version : Mount Garfield this weekend

hikergirl1120
10-07-2009, 09:03
Good morning all!!

Let me start by saying I am truly a summer hiker and I think that makes me a wimp LOL

I wanted to get a few more trips in uo north before there was snow. I headed up to Mount Lafayette, from the bottom I saw what looked like lots of ice. Unfortunately I was not able to make the climb the next day (I had my mom with me and she is VERY anti-rain anything....hmmm I wonder where I get my warm weather preference from lol)

I talked to someone in the parking lot and they said the trail was clear.

I had planned on heading up Garfield this weekend...staying at 13 Falls and hiking up Saturday. I don't have any expereince with the ice thing so I was wondering if anyone had been up there recently and could tell me how the conditions are.

I dont want to go into that kind of stuff for the first time by myself. If the trail is clear I am totally game.

Anyways thanks again!!

mudhead
10-07-2009, 10:22
http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/summit_forecast.php

More info on this site, but this has a good overview.

Slo-go'en
10-07-2009, 10:45
Don't think there will be any problem. The snow/ice we got last week is all gone due to warmer temps and lots of rain this week. No doubt it will be a bit soggy on the trail. Check the forcast, I think this every-other-day rain thing sticks with us through the weekend. (raining out pretty good right now, classic raw New England fall weather)

celt
10-07-2009, 11:02
There have been a few days this fall in the Whites when rime ice has accumulated on the peaks and flurries have drifted through the air but all of this occurred above 3000'. Because temperatures vary widely this time of year the light accumulations of ice and snow usually don't last. Its most important to know the weather conditions of the days leading into your trip and the short term forecast.

Definitely use the Mt Washington Observatory site Mudhead referenced. Their auto road vertical temperature profile is an excellent way to see the varied mountain temps.

This week has been mostly cloudy with showers with any freezing events limited to the Presidential Range. Today its raining but tomorrow is supposed to be nice.

hikergirl1120
10-07-2009, 11:33
Ok thank you so much!!!

Blissful
10-07-2009, 14:05
Always be ready for anything and everything in the WHites...