PDA

View Full Version : How do you carry your water?

texascampgal
10-07-2009, 10:47
I have an off-brand 2L camelback that I love to fill with ice and water for my short overnight/2-day trips. That way, I have ice-cold water for most of my trip. It also has a few small pockets/compartments so that I can use it as a daypack once I get camp set up.

I usually just hang the shoulder straps over the top of my backpack when hiking in/out. See here -http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=209327&l=09d78adad0&id=1325224055

I don't like this setup, but don't really want to give up my cool water or my day pack.

A backpack with a hydration chamber would help with the carrying issue, but won't help as far as a day pack goes.

Is it plausible to carry the water in the backpack hydration chamber AND have a separate day pack with a hydration chamber rolled up in the backpack for use once camp is set up?

Curious?!

texascampgal
10-07-2009, 10:48
I also carry nalgenes full of water.

Lone Wolf
10-07-2009, 10:49
1 nalgene and 1 soda bottle

texascampgal
10-07-2009, 10:55
1 nalgene and 1 soda bottle

Once you get to you destination, do you do any side trips? If so, how do you carry the 10 essentials then?

Mocs123
10-07-2009, 11:02
2- 32oz Gatoraide/Poweraide bottles.

skinewmexico
10-07-2009, 11:17
It's possible, if you like carrying a ton of weight. If I'm day hiking from a base camp, I just empty my gear, and compress my pack to use as a day pack. And carry Gatorade bottles.

That's a lot of water to carry.

Tipi Walter
10-07-2009, 11:22
I used to carry the Nalgene lexan liters but found out they leach BPA so I ditched the two I carried and went with two Siggs, liters. Come to find out these also contain BPA or at least the ones I got last year do and yet no mention was on their website when I bought them.:mad: Now I get on their site and find out they will give me new one's with "eco-friendly" linings if I send in my others before October 31. They should track down every online order in the last 5 years and send a refund to each buyer. Yeah, right.

Well, I found some suitable quart containers for my next trip until I get this whole thing cleared up. I know Nalgene makes BPA free liters, too.

Spokes
10-07-2009, 11:36
I carry a 2 liter Platypus bladder and a liter Gatorade bottle.

texascampgal
10-07-2009, 11:39
It would be cool if someone would design a backpack that you could detatch a small carrying compartment and the hydration chamber/bladder to carry as a separate small, daypack - complete with should/sternum straps.

Lone Wolf
10-07-2009, 11:43
Once you get to you destination, do you do any side trips? If so, how do you carry the 10 essentials then?

i have a water bag for camp. what's 10 essentials?

Gray Blazer
10-07-2009, 11:51
i have a water bag for camp. what's 10 essentials?
Ipod
GPS
Cell Phone
AT Maps to locate shelters
Dog
6 rolls of TP

There's 6. I couldn't think of more off the top of my head.

Gray Blazer
10-07-2009, 11:53
BTW, I use 16 oz water bottles. They kinda fill in the empty spaces.

Manwich
10-07-2009, 11:57
3-Liter Platypus, Camelback Insulated Hose (for Winter.)

If I'm using AquaMira, I'll bring a 32oz Sigg Bottle. Otherwise, Katadyn Hiker Pro filter.

It would be cool if someone would design a backpack that you could detatch a small carrying compartment and the hydration chamber/bladder to carry as a separate small, daypack - complete with should/sternum straps.

I had a military MOLLE and ALICE Pack that that had could do that. Too heavy for Backpacking, though.

garlic08
10-07-2009, 11:59
I carry a 2 liter Platypus bladder and a liter Gatorade bottle.

Ditto this. If I need to go more than 20 miles between water sources, I'll carry another 2-liter Platy.

Hikes in Rain
10-07-2009, 12:13
Ipod
GPS
Cell Phone
AT Maps to locate shelters
Dog
6 rolls of TP

There's 6. I couldn't think of more off the top of my head.

Boubon
Lekis
iPod with external speakers

Still missing one.....

Manwich
10-07-2009, 12:18
Gaiters, of course

Hooch
10-07-2009, 12:22
Gaiters, of course

:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana

dreamsoftrails
10-07-2009, 12:59
one liter dasani bottles

Summit
10-07-2009, 13:20
I carry at most 1 liter of water in a Nalgene bottle . . . less if I know the water sources and they are not super far. I usually ask hikers I meet coming from the direction I'm going about water availability for the next 5-10 miles and adjust my water carry accordingly.

Blissful
10-07-2009, 14:03
I don't worry about having iced cold water on a hike. I wait until town to get a cold drink. But water out of a stream can be refreshing too.

As far a day pack, many packs covert to either a daypack size with tightening some straps (mine does) or have a fanny pack converted from the top lid (like Osprey). Might look into another pack.

Hikes in Rain
10-07-2009, 14:29
Used to use a liter Nalgene, but I've switched to a same-sized bladder for hiking. For camp, I still use a 1.5 - 2 (not sure) gallon waterbag from Campmor. The type with the nylon cloth cover and press-to-gush valve. Don't think it's even made anymore.

texascampgal
10-07-2009, 14:58
Thanks Blissful! I also received another endorsement for Osprey in a private message. My pack is probably way overweight anyhow...

gollwoods
10-07-2009, 17:54
Hot weather hiking is better when you can drink cold water. says Mr obvious,
I usually use the internal hydration pocket with my pack and it does a good job of staying cool. with ice it would be great.

Summit
10-07-2009, 18:33
I find the temperature of the water out of the streams plenty cold enough, even in hot weather. But then, I use a Steripen so I'm drinking my water 90 seconds after I obtain it! :) I carry less, drink more often, 90 seconds out of the source, so no need to fuss with bladders and ice. But if it works for you, enjoy it! :)

valleyfire
10-07-2009, 18:52
damn i wish there was ice available on top of the mountain sometimes!!

Gray Blazer
10-07-2009, 19:09
damn i wish there was ice available on top of the mountain sometimes!!
Yeah, here in FL we're screwed unless it's Mt Dora.

Nicksaari
10-07-2009, 22:28
i carry two old water bottles, i.e. Gatorade, and latch an empty 1 gallon jug to the Osprey for when i get into camp. i feel that it makes ppl apprehensive that i would carry in something audacious like that. and that makes me happy. maybe a trail name will become of it...

Dr O
10-07-2009, 22:47
> How do you carry your water?

I'm waiting for an UL Stillsuit.

The spice must flow!

Tinker
10-07-2009, 23:56
I carry a 40 oz. Kleen canteen (also can be used for heating/boiling water, it's stainless steel) and a quart Gatorade bottle. I've had problems with hydration bladders leaking from the bag, the hose, and the mouthpiece (Platypus and MSR).
Oh, and Nalgene Cantene.

ChinMusic
10-08-2009, 00:42
Either 2 32-oz Gatorade bottle or one 32-oz Gatorade bottle and a Platy Water Tank (4L).

Jonnycat
10-08-2009, 09:38
I use platys; I carry a one, a two, and a three liter. If there is frequent water, and/or it is cool, I only fill the one liter. If water is infrequent, or it is hot, I'll use a couple liters or more.

This also gives me the option of dry camping, in which case I might need four liters (hike to camp, camp, and part of the next day).

Tipi Walter
10-08-2009, 11:14
> How do you carry your water?

I'm waiting for an UL Stillsuit.

The spice must flow!

All water-haulers should worship Muad'Dib!

88BlueGT
10-15-2009, 01:47
It varies depending on the hike but if I don't think theres going to be many water sources I'll usually carry 2- 1L Gatorade bottles and a 2L Evernew bag (w a screw top). The ever clear will carry almost 3L though if u need it to, ill typically carry 4L max. Thats one of the best ways to carry water IMO. I just don't like Camelbaks n such because they can leak, freeze, etc. and you can't judge how much water your drinking without pulling it out of your bag and checking it and its a pain in the ass. And I don't use nalgene bottles anymore just because of the weight, even though they are EXTREMELY durable.

scooterdogma
10-15-2009, 07:01
Mountain Hardware makes a 65 liter women's pack w/detachable backpack with mesh shoulder and webbing waistbelt. Check out "Intention 65" , it's a nice pack.

Berserker
10-15-2009, 13:20
One 1 liter platy hoser that goes in a side pocket of the pack where I run the drinking tube up through the compression straps to where it clips on to a shoulder strap, another 1 liter platy with a cap in case I need to carry extra water, and a 4 liter platy tank for camp.

ShoelessWanderer
10-15-2009, 16:48

I have a drybag (I pack all my stuff in drybags) That's I've converted, with straps, to a day pack. I use it to pack all my clothes in, and then when I hit camp, dump out the clothes and in goes the slack-packing stuff...including my nalgene bottle with water.

ShoelessWanderer
10-15-2009, 16:50
i carry two old water bottles, i.e. Gatorade, and latch an empty 1 gallon jug to the Osprey for when i get into camp. i feel that it makes ppl apprehensive that i would carry in something audacious like that. and that makes me happy. maybe a trail name will become of it...

audacious? I think it's a great idea! Definatly a trail name could happen because of that though...we'll have to start thinking up ideas...

sheepdog
10-15-2009, 18:46
One of the best ways to carry water is to camel up every chance you get. Any place there is good water I drink my fill.

wrongway_08
10-15-2009, 18:50
1 main bladder (3L - no I dont carry that much, nice to shower with sometimes)
1 spare bladder (2L)
1 bottle on the belt

Doctari
10-15-2009, 20:39
Daily: a 2L Platypus with hydration tube & a small (20 Oz?) Gatorade bottle. To carry extra for a dry camp, a Platypus 2L canteen.
I rarely go on "Pack free" side trips, but for in town I have a net bag to carry groceries. It will hold A LOT of stuff, I can nearly fit my OHM pack inside it. The net bag also does double duty when I need to go a ways to fetch water. Weight of the bag, 0.75 Oz, cost $1.00.

Jack Tarlin
10-15-2009, 20:53
I have a 4-liter waterbag (an MSR Domedary that's more than twelve years old!) as well as
a 32-oz Gatorade bottle that fits in a holster on the belt of my pack.

Having the extra storage space comes in really handy on the nights when I want to dry camp (i.e. make an effort to stay at a place where water HAS to be carried in) such as on top of a mountain in order to see a sunset, etc.

And having the extra water-carrying ability if I want to haul it can come in really handy.

It means I can have a good long drink (Gatorade or Kool-Aid or whatever) at day's end, with plenty left to drink during or after dinner. I'll have plenty of water for cooking and clean-up, and most important, I'll have enough to be able to drink during the night, as well as having enough left over to start the next day's hike with, even if there's no water coming up for awhile.

I see plenty of people whose water carrying capability is limited to two quart bottles or a small platypus, and while this may work fine for some folks, for me, it'd leave me short, especially on those days when I find myself camping (or wanting to camp) at a dry spot.

Slack-jawed Trog
10-15-2009, 21:13
I use a 2-liter Camelback bladder in the pack's hydration sleeve.
And carry two 32 oz. Gatorade bottles in the pack's mesh side pockets, which may not be filled until pitching camp. When water sources are questionable, few and far between or camp is dry, it's just nice to have the extra storage capacity.
Besides, it's easier to throw a line for a bear bag with a Gatorade bottle than a makeshift monkey's fist when suitable rocks aren't to be found. :( YMMV

El Toro '94
10-16-2009, 01:21
For drinking while hiking, a couple of the widemouth 1L soda bottles, for camp, a rinsed out gallon milk/orange drink jug. Lite wt. when empty, and it just clips on to the myriad loops on my pack with a carabiner. Clean it out once/week or so. If it gets too nasty, throw it away and buy a gallon of drinking water when in town. Got a nice handle to pour with too.

danahy
01-18-2010, 15:06
I'm embarking on about a week hike this summer, i plan to do a thru or continue hiking sections of AT at a time, but I just wanted to confirm that there are plenty of water sources along the hike. I'm going wth my mother and my aunt and they have a ton of questions! I have...will be getting platypus waterbottles and I'm getting the impression that having two solid water sources in pack at all times is enough. I understand water is heavy! Must be dilgent about packing!

JAK
01-18-2010, 15:20
I'm going UL this year.
A couple of wineskins made from shelter mice.

Blissful
01-18-2010, 19:49
I'm embarking on about a week hike this summer, i plan to do a thru or continue hiking sections of AT at a time, but I just wanted to confirm that there are plenty of water sources along the hike. I'm going wth my mother and my aunt and they have a ton of questions! I have...will be getting platypus waterbottles and I'm getting the impression that having two solid water sources in pack at all times is enough. I understand water is heavy! Must be dilgent about packing!

Water availability really depends a a number of factors but we never had a problem with water and we went in a dry year in '07. Make sure to have maps also and guidebook on the sections you plan to hike which gives good info on sources

Mud__Bone
01-18-2010, 22:33
good info here, thanks all :)

danahy
01-18-2010, 23:22
Oh yes, I plan to have guidebooks and detailed map of AT. I'm reading "A Walk in the Woods" and I don't a map that only confuses the hell out of me. And thank you for insight about water! Do you know how much weight would suitable for a week's hike? I'm not entirely sure what would be ideal considering it is a week hike and I won't need as many supplies as a thru-hike would demand! I cannot wait!

prain4u
01-19-2010, 03:06
I have been carrying two (1 quart) Gatorade bottles. I carry one in each of the outside mesh pockets located on either side of my pack. Gatorade bottles are inexpensive (and come already filled with a "free" beverage). They are very easy to find in most stores and easy to periodically replace (for sanitation reasons). The fairly wide mouth of Gatorade bottles makes them easier fill and easier to use if adding a beverage mix.

I also have a 4 liter MSR Dromedary Bag that I often use while in camp. I will sometimes hike with some water in the Dromedary Bag--if I feel that I will have a need for more water than just the 2 Gatorade bottles. Water weighs almost 2.25 lbs. per liter. So, I try to not carry TOO much extra water. (That full Dromedary Bag would add an extra 9 lbs to my pack!). It is MUCH better to carry less water while hiking and refill your containers frequently during the day (if at all possible).

I am thinking of trading one of my Gatorade bottles for a 1 liter Nalgene bottle (especially in cold weather)--because a Nalgene will hold up better with hot liquids. A Gatorade bottle would simply "melt" if I filled it with a hot liquid.

daddytwosticks
01-19-2010, 08:31
Depending on time of year and water conditions, combination of 1 L Aquafina bottles, 20 oz Gatorade bottles, and 1 and 2 Liter Platys. :)

Old Hiker
01-19-2010, 12:52
I'm going UL this year.
A couple of wineskins made from shelter mice.

Make sure you eat ALL the carcasses to LNT ethical standards.

thelowend
01-23-2010, 18:04
2 nalgenes when i have my dog with me because this will double or more the amount of water consumed. by myself i can get away with the liter that a nalgene offers.

JustaTouron
01-23-2010, 18:33
It varies from trip to trip. Most times either a diet coke bottle or a diet pepsi bottle which ever brand of soda was on sale last week so we now have empties siting in the recycling bin in the garage. But one trip I had rootbeer bottle and another a diet mountain dew bottle.

Extensive testing has not yeilded any significant difference in performance between a diet coke or the diet pepsi bottle. Nor for that matter between any of my soda bottles and the various bottles one of my friends spends up to $50 on.

Although I recommend avoiding the diet moutain dew bottle I didn't sleep well the week leading up to the trip that year.

1azarus
01-23-2010, 18:41
2 3/4 liter gatorade bottles -- <<see my photo (yes, that is actually me, not a hiking god model!) if really dry i'll bring a 1 liter platypus (usually empty) in my pack.

climber2377
01-23-2010, 18:52
i have 2 nalgene

climber2377
01-23-2010, 18:54
oops. hit the wrong button... i have 2 nalgene, one is regular and fits my water filter pump very well, the other has a smaller mouth. and i have a camel back bladder that i put in the top pocket of my gregory forester pack. it works out well... i hate the idea of not having water especially in the summer. i dont mind packing it and carrying it. it can get heavy, but i also make sure to cut weight in other places.

JustaTouron
01-23-2010, 19:13
Two general thoughts to keep in mind.

1. Empty water bottles way almost nothing, they are only heavy when full. If you know that you are in area where you will be passing a water source every 2 miles there is no reason to fill your 3.5 liter bottle all the way up. I have a friend who ultramarathons. She had gotten rid of her 3 liter camel pak and replaced with a 1.5 liter camel pak, she was telling me how glad she was she made the switch although she needs to stop twice as often having a pack that weights half as much is better. I said, "you didn't need to buy a new water bottle you could have just filled the other one halfway." She just gave me this blank stare like I was totally crazy for like 45 seconds and said "i guess."

2. OTOH if you need more water capacity, extra water bottles are avialble at even the smallest of resupply points typically for about the price of a bottle of soda.