PDA

View Full Version : PACKA- Truly waterproof, or not?

ShelterLeopard
10-07-2009, 11:19
So I (like many around this time of year) am upgrading/replacing gear for my upcoming thru.

Subject: Raingear.

So, I currently have an Outdoor Research pack cover that I am quite happy with, but recently learned of the packa, the pack cover/ rain poncho/jacket that covers your ENTIRE pack and most of you as well. My question is, is the packa truly water proof? How is it? It's kind of nice that it has the ventilation holes too. Would you recommend I get one?

Right now I have rain coat and pants- the rain pants are VERY waterproof, but also are not breathable at all, like wearing rubber. The rain jacket is a little lighter and more breathable, but gets me a bit wetter. ??? So, to packa? Or not to packa?

ShelterLeopard
10-07-2009, 11:20
PS- I don't mean "how is it waterproof", I just mean "how is it", as in "do you like it?"

Yukon
10-07-2009, 11:23
I've been interested in the Packa as well so I'd also like to hear testimony from people that have it...

juma
10-07-2009, 12:22
I like it when the weather is cool, below say 65* or so, I don't zip the front - I just clip it together in one or two places and get plenty of air. leave pit vents open too except maybe in a strong cold wind. In weather warmer than 30* I like to wear my unbrella hat too - that combo keeps me totally vented and unsweaty.

juma

ShelterLeopard
10-07-2009, 12:33
Hmmmm... I think the packa may have just worked its way onto my Christmas list.

Two Tents
10-07-2009, 12:52
I just got a Packa. I really like it. Ceadertree(the owner) said if it didn't fit my pack or I didn't like it for whatever I could send it back. That ain't gonna happen! I took a day hike in the rain and it exceeded my expectations. I also had my Equinox silnylon chaps on and I was dry,dry,dry! Happy,Happy, Joy,Joy!

lustreking
10-07-2009, 13:06
How well does it work when you get into camp and you're not wearing your pack? I don't think I've seen any pictures without a pack.

ShelterLeopard
10-07-2009, 13:10
Good point. Could you just bunch up the pack part? Or does it end up feeling kind of weird?

Two Tents
10-07-2009, 13:11
Well it ain't for the fashion show types. I mean there is a big empty silnylon sack hanging off your back. But who cares it still keeps you dry.

kayak karl
10-07-2009, 13:51
PS- I don't mean "how is it waterproof", I just mean "how is it", as in "do you like it?"
4 of use hike in rain on sugarloaf and i stayed the dryest. i love the fact you can just slip your arms out and let it hang as a pack cover.
as a wind breaker it handled 50 mph wind at 30 degrees (0 wind chill) Mt. Moosulacke
http://inlinethumb28.webshots.com/44443/2684092140104593866S500x500Q85.jpg (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2684092140104593866XvfiGI)

Kerosene
10-07-2009, 14:31
Most Packas are made of silicone-impregnated nylon (silnyl), which is deemed waterproof but not breathable. By 'deemed', I understand that it is apparently possible for a fine mist to weep through the fabric if it put under sufficient pressure (e.g., lying in a puddle all night, or a very hard downpour onto the fabric). However, these are unusual events at best and most people get by just fine with a well-ventilated silnyl tent.

The Packa shines in that it provides several ventilation options and keeps the water off your back as well as pack. I got the last e-Vent model that Cedartree made, which adds breathability at a slight weight penalty.

I can think of a number of options for your legs:
Don't cover them at all, which will probably prove cooler than the other alternatives but you'll also have rainwater wick down your socks into your boots.
Inexpensive waterproof rain pants (e.g., Frogg Toggs, DriDucks, Precip).
Very lightweight rain chaps (e.g., Mountail Laurel Design).
DWR-treated wind pants, which have a much better chance of working as your knees are underneath the hang of the Packa for the most part. Mine are a touch long (or are my legs a touch short?) and I drape the excess length over my gaiters, which dramatically minimizes wicking.
High-end waterproof/breathable options such as GoreTex and e-Vent. I'm a big proponent of e-Vent, which I've experienced as much more breathable across a wider range of humidity and temperature than GoreTex.

Pickleodeon
10-07-2009, 17:19
I have a packa. And I used it this year in all the rain.

At first it was good, once I realized that it needed to be seam sealed. Ooops.

Also, it was really hot, even with the pit vents open. So at the start, in GA, I was soaked anyway because the seams weren't sealed and I was sweating like crazy.

Then I sealed it, and I was still hot. Plus my pack was really full with lots of food so I had trouble getting the packa on and off of my pack quickly. It was a really tight squeeze getting the pack cover part on and off, especially difficult when it starts pouring and I was in a hurry to get it on. I had to take off the pack, get out the packa, put on the pack cover, put on the pack, and then put my arms through the sleeves of the packa.

Also, when I got to camp, there was the decision of whether to keep me or my pack dry. And, if you realize you need something in your pack, you either have to take off the pack and the Packa, which leads to getting wet, or, you can slip out one sleeve and have a hiking companion bravely dig around in your pack, under the packa for what you need, but man, it is stinky in there!

Eventually, I just mailed it home and went with a pack cover and rain jacket. I think it would've been better with my smaller pack, and I'll probably continue to use it, but with so much rain this year, I just gave up on it. Also, make sure you use the right seam sealer. the non-water based kind.

Cedar Tree
10-08-2009, 16:49
The newest version of the Packa, manufactured with the help of Big Agnes, is very waterproof. It is not made with silnylon anymore. It is now made of 30 denier ripstop nylon with a silicone/polyureathane coating. It is the same fabric BA makes their UL tents from. They are now fully seam taped, so seam sealing is no longer needed. They weigh slightly less than 13oz.

To Pickleodeon: I'm sorry yours didn't work for you, but I believe you understand why. If your backpack is too big for the packcover, it causes all sorts of problems for the proper functioning of the Packa.

To Kerosene: I think the days of silnylon packas are over. Yours is a custom I made myself. I did recently receive the first eVent prototype from my manufacturer. It is very nice, but it weighs 17.1 oz. I a hoping I will be able to get some eVent packas, but it is not looking very promising at this point.

To Lustreking: On this page there is a picture of a guy wearing the packa without a backpack. However, he stuffed his quilt under the packa so it is not a picture like I think you wanted.
http://www.thepacka.com/index_files/Pictures.html

Thanks KK and TT for chiming in. I love the picture KK.

CT

ShelterLeopard
10-08-2009, 23:18
Alright, you pretty much sold me on the packa! The question now is, do I put it on the Christmas list, or get it right away?

Seriously- is there are reason I should get it right now? Is there any chance they could somehow run out?

And CedarTree- how big a pack will it really cover? I have a Jansport Klamath 72 (which I'll be swapping for an Osprey Exos 46 in Harpers Ferry, but will still have for the first half). Which can be a pretty big pack. Will it fit?

ShelterLeopard
10-08-2009, 23:24
I know the packa covers about 4000 cu, and the Jansport 72 is about 4400-unextended is bigger by a bit, and mine is never extended- usually it's compressed to be a fair amount smaller than the normal size... Do you think it'd fit?

Cedar Tree
10-09-2009, 08:13
The only way to know for sure is to try it out. If your pack is too big, you will run into the same problems as Pickleodeon. I do offer refunds if you don't like it or it doesn't fit. As for running out, probably not before Christmas. I have about 35 left out of the order of 100 I received April 3rd. I am in the process of making a new order. Thanks for starting this tread.
CT

ShelterLeopard
10-09-2009, 10:51
I think I'll just order one. Should I contact you by e-mail, or phone? And can I send a personal check?

Cedar Tree
10-09-2009, 11:31
email, phone and personal check all fine. I should be available after 3:30 (eastern) today if you want to talk. Thanks SL,
CT

88BlueGT
10-12-2009, 17:00
I have a packa and have never had a problem with it AT ALL. It ventilates perfectly for me (and I sweat pretty hard), the pit zips are GREAT, and pack cover fits around my Jansport big bear perfectly, it also doubles as a great pillow. One of the best parts about the packa I believe is how well it works when your NOT using it as a rain jacket and just using it as a pack cover, it stays tight and snug and covers your pack completely.

I recently swapped packs for a ULA Circuit though, which is significantly smaller than my jansport big bear 5000, haven't tried it w my ULA pack yet.

The packa also stores very nicely also. In my Jansport I put it right on top of the hood and in my ULA pack it goes right in the front behind the elastic straps.