PDA

View Full Version : Ditigal card problem

wrongway_08
10-07-2009, 15:51
I have a 4 gig card that has almost the first half of my thru from '08 on it.

It has a crack in the plastic and I cant get it to download to the computer.

- tried plugging it directly into the computer.
- tried using a card reader pluged to the computer.
- wont read in the camera either.

any ideas of who or other tricks to try?

Doesnt look like the chip itself has any damage - just the plastic. When I plug it into the card reader, the computer comes back with a "no photos on card" --- but it has not been erased. The reader keeps try'n to read but cant retrieve anything.

I only have a few of the photos and nonoe of the vidoes off of it. Could have sworn I downloaded everything on to a computer when I got back but that person is say'n they are not on that computer.

Thanks for any help!
- Rick

Manwich
10-07-2009, 15:59
Does the computer recognize it as a Disk Drive, but reports no content? If that's the case, the integrity of the data might have been screwed. Fear not, solid state drives are near immune to this problem

I forget the name of the program, Either "GetData Recover My Files" or "RecoverIt" i've had great success with in the past.

The Weasel
10-07-2009, 16:01
Do NOT try to use it further. The data is (probably) still on the chip, but you may damage or destroy it if you keep trying. Look up "data recovery" either on the Net or in your own area, or go to a good facility that specializes in this. The cost to recover the data will probably be 50-100, possibly more if there is a huge amount of data.

TW

wrongway_08
10-07-2009, 16:02
It does reconize the disk drive (well the card reader drive) . just reports nothing on it.

wrongway_08
10-07-2009, 16:04
Will look around Weasel.

Guess if I cant get the info back I'll have to do a rehike..... :")

Spokes
10-07-2009, 16:08
Golly Wrongway 08 that's aweful! I sometimes had my memory card display an error message when in the camera but was always able to clear the error message by popping it out then back in again. I think it's more to do with the contacts getting messed up than the card itself. Have you tried cleaning the contacts?

You may also see if another computer will read the card. I once had an external HD that suddenly wouldn't run on my XP box but when I plugged it into my laptop running Vista it "self corrected" somehow. Very strange.

Good luck!

Slo-go'en
10-07-2009, 16:57
SD cards are pretty tough. If you put enough stress on the card to crack the case, then there is a good chance one or more of the connections to the chip broke. It would take only one broken connection to make it not work right. A microscopic stress fracture on the chip it's self would also render it useless. My guess is your out of luck. The down side to the digital age.

Tennessee Viking
10-07-2009, 22:57
If you are using an USB reader to access the card, sometimes they won't connect correctly. You usually have to go through your main USB ports. But it sounds like the flash chip was cracked as well. You might have to take it somewhere that deals with data recovery. That could be pricey.

Jan LiteShoe
10-07-2009, 23:06
Duct tape.
:)

(Sorry about your pics, Wrongway)

wrongway_08
10-08-2009, 20:33
Duct tape.
:)

(Sorry about your pics, Wrongway)

Didnt work and yea thanks, now I have tape stuck in my hard drive !!! :D

Wise Old Owl
10-08-2009, 20:41
life is not over - you need professional help... Who is the manufacture of the card?

PS weasel is very on top of his post stop trying.

MikenSalem
10-08-2009, 20:45
What Weasel said, and they are very good at what they do.

JaxHiker
10-08-2009, 21:11
I shoot (photos) professionally. If you'd like to send it to me I can run it through my recovery software. I had a fellow shooter accidentally erase one of my cards and I got it all back. I've also recovered images for other friends. PM me if you're interested.

Monkeyboy
10-09-2009, 13:26
Some cameras format the chips in a format that is unrecognizable by media readers.

Does the camera recognize the chip? If so, plug the camera in via a USB cable and read them from the camera.

I think Canon cameras are like that. Media readers say the chip is unformatted, but the camera reads it. When you hook up the camera with the chip in it, it reads it correctly through the camera.

Monkeyboy
10-09-2009, 13:27
Didnt work and yea thanks, now I have tape stuck in my hard drive !!! :D

No....it would be stuck in the media reader. It would really be a feat to get it stuck into your sealed hard drive.........:D

WalkingStick75
10-09-2009, 13:59
E-mail sent also but I have some recovery software if you would like to send me the SD card.

wrongway_08
10-09-2009, 20:15
Thanks guys! Will contact you and send the card out. Really want to get these photos and videos off the card.

sofaking
10-10-2009, 18:22
Will look around Weasel.

Guess if I cant get the info back I'll have to do a rehike..... :")
i vote for the hike...

Rambler
10-13-2009, 08:45
I recently discovered the newer cards do not work on older card readers. The newer cards have four initials SDHD,(I think) and are not compatible with all readers.

buz
10-13-2009, 09:27
Sorry to hear that, hope u get them back. I triple file my photos before they get off the card. Home computer, laptop, and external hard drive. Probably overkill, but digital memories are poof if you don't have back up. Never count on your card as a back up. At least two other places would be prudent.

JaxHiker
10-13-2009, 14:44
Not overkill. Just keep in mind you're banking on 3 forms of fairly volatile storage since hard drives can and do get corrupted. I prefer to archive to multiple DVDs.

Manwich
10-13-2009, 15:13
Jax, FYI, most commercial burn-at-home DVDs lose their ability to retain data after some number of years. The Dye on the DVD will eventually fail. Could be 5 years or 50.

http://adterrasperaspera.com/blog/2006/10/30/how-to-choose-cddvd-archival-media

You should plan on reburning them onto Archival DVDs,

Hot Shoe
10-13-2009, 15:22
Jax, FYI, most commercial burn-at-home DVDs lose their ability to retain data after some number of years. The Dye on the DVD will eventually fail. Could be 5 years or 50.

Good to know information. Thanks.

saimyoji
10-13-2009, 16:12
i vote for the hike...
you banned again yet? :sun

pjbarr
10-13-2009, 18:01
yeah i also have problems getting older card readers to read new SD cards. always asking me to format them when i insert them - i haven't, but if anyone else runs into this probem, click NO otherwise it's poof.

wrongway_08
10-13-2009, 18:33
This is the SD high speed card. My reader reads them fine - when they are not damaged :D.

Thanks for all the help you guys/gals! Pm's sent to those that pm'd!

JaxHiker
10-14-2009, 01:49

Ah, you assume I don't burn to archival media. :-?