PDA

View Full Version : When to Thru-hike

YoungMoose
10-07-2009, 16:12
Hi. i am planning on doing a thru as soon as i get out of high school. my mom wantsme to go to college before i thru-hike. She is saying no but my dad is saying he wouldnt mind. But no my mom offered to pay for my whole thru-hike if i wait to get out of college. What would you do

Lone Wolf
10-07-2009, 16:15
go before college. you may not want to go to college if you complete a thru-hike. when you become 18 you can do what you want

Spokes
10-07-2009, 16:19
Hmmm, sounds like you're in a classic philosophical dilemma........

Only you can decide which path to take......

Follow your heart grasshopper...........

Chaco Taco
10-07-2009, 16:21
I think you will have a better chance at doing it before college. You may finish college and not want to do it anymore. Not time like the present

max patch
10-07-2009, 16:22
College followed by a great graduation present.

YoungMoose
10-07-2009, 16:23
College followed by a great graduation present.
thats what my mom is saying it would be A Graduation present

max patch
10-07-2009, 16:25
thats what my mom is saying it would be A Graduation present

You have a smart mom.

The Weasel
10-07-2009, 16:44
Go now. Finish the whole damn thing. Put THAT on your college applications and you'll get some real attention from even better schools. Including more financial aid.

As for your Mom, tell her that her heart is in the right place, but you can't be bought, even by Mom.

But realize that she's being a Mom by being hesitant about something she may think has more risks than it does. Would she read 'A Walk in the Woods' which, while not a perfect description of the AT, gives a lot of the 'feel' for it? Or find other ways to teach her that it's not remote, not unduly risky (probably less so than crossing college streets) and will make you even more mature than you are now.

TW

ChinMusic
10-07-2009, 17:16
go before college. you may not want to go to college if you complete a thru-hike.
Case for the opposite I would say.

WalkingStick75
10-07-2009, 17:47
Hike after HS, I think it might even help you in college. Good learning expierencce.

puddingboy
10-07-2009, 18:03
ya im facing the same dilemma but im still not 100% sure if i want to hike the AT or some other trail

bigcranky
10-07-2009, 18:22
Taking a year off before college would have made a HUGE difference in my life. Instead, I ended up taking several years off during college, and it was the school's idea, not mine. (Something about my grades....) Working a menial job for a couple of years put the whole college thing in perspective, and finally I went back and graduated. But I wouldn't recommend that path.

Instead, look at this as a "gap year." A successful thru-hike will give you a big chunk of time to think about what you want to do with your life. Planning, preparing, and executing a thru-hike will teach you how to set goals, how to organize to meet those goals, and how to manage the daily grind when those goals seem out of reach. Being able to walk through the rain, sleet, snow (and dark of night), the heat of mid summer, the bugs, bears, and days with a bad attitude will reveal your fortitude. You will have the opportunity learn much about yourself.

Or, you can just party your way up the trail, and learn nothing. It's up to you. You might find this helpful:

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/THP%20top.html

ChinMusic
10-07-2009, 18:24
One must decide avocation vs vocation on their own.

Bearpaw
10-07-2009, 18:41
I'd offer a compromise. See if you can get her to pay for 8-10 week section hikes during summer vacations from college. Get the best of both worlds.

Jim Adams
10-08-2009, 17:49
go after H.S.
When you graduate college you will have more chance of being offered good employment in your field and then won't have time hike until you're retired.
GO NOW!!!!!!!!

geek

max patch
10-08-2009, 18:28
If you go after HS you can always join the McDonalds Management Training Program when you finish.

emerald
10-08-2009, 18:49
I'd advise waiting, but either way it could be a distraction. Your first priority should be on your studies.

A through hike isn't the big deal many make it out to be. Even if you accept the perfect job right out of college, section hiking isn't a bad way to spend vacations and you will be able to enjoy many things through hikers never see or experience.

Gratification deferment can be a good thing. Many people today fail to see its benefits.

Mags
10-08-2009, 19:00
Someone mentioned a "gap" year. Very popular in other places.. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gap_year)but not here.

It works well in the UK, Australia and other places....and I think there are a few "professionals" in those places. :)

Very few people out of high school are honestly ready for college. I know I wasn't in some ways.

A thru-hike can be a wonderful way to examine what you want to do and even perhaps be more experienced in some ways. Perhaps 5-6 mos of living away from home BEFORE college will let you get that "need to party" bug out of you that many college freshmen get.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a gap year...IF you use it wisely.
(Hell..my brother did 3 "gap years" courtesy of the US Air Force. But, that's a little different I imagine? :) He's now in the air guard..and also rec'd a paid vacation to Baghdad..but that's another story, too. ;) )

But, that's just me. Only you know if you have the discipline to go to college (or another vocational path) after a thru-hike

Good luck!

Marta
10-08-2009, 19:13
The more mature you are when you get to college, the more likely you are to use that opportunity wisely. A gap year is a good time to do some maturing--spend the first half of it working to make the money for your hike; the second half hiking.

Many college freshmen are in no way ready to take care of themselves. Six months spent hiking will give you a crash course in taking care of yourself.

Many college students (freshmen especially) are very stupid about keeping their eyes on long-term priorities over short-term temptations. If you can summon the will to finish a long hike, you'll teach yourself something about sticking to a task to the end.

Last but definitely not least, do not put off important things. You never know what the future will bring. Four and a half years from now you may have college debts pressing on you that will prevent you from hiking, you may have a significant other in your life that will keep you from wanting to hike, and so on. If something is important to you, do it now.

puddingboy
10-08-2009, 19:50
I'd offer a compromise. See if you can get her to pay for 8-10 week section hikes during summer vacations from college. Get the best of both worlds.

So far this is my plan for college, except im not quite sure if i can get my mom to pay for it.

Many Walks
10-08-2009, 19:56
Go in the direction that is pulling the hardest, but you have interest in the outdoors and a desire to hike the AT. A distance hike can be an education in itself if you pay attention to your environment and yourself. You'll most likely mature and be able to take care of yourself because of the hike and you just may seed an interest in some outdoor related activity you can pursue in college that you wouldn't have thought of otherwise. Lot's of people head off the the military right after HS. The choice between the AT and college is pretty mild. Wish you the best in your decision!

CowHead
10-08-2009, 20:01
hey what about retirement as a option

Wrangler88
10-08-2009, 20:19
I'd say apply to a school. Get accepted.

Go hike.

If you figure out it isn't for you after a couple of weeks,

Then go to school and no harm done either way.

If it is for you,

Then take the semester off and finish the trail.

Then you're right back at school come winter/spring.

mudhead
10-09-2009, 05:55
I'd say apply to a school. Get accepted.

Go hike.

If you figure out it isn't for you after a couple of weeks,

Then go to school and no harm done either way.

If it is for you,

Then take the semester off and finish the trail.

Then you're right back at school come winter/spring.

I disagree with the "no harm done" part.

I went on the Bigcranky plan, Marta's post should be reread.
School will have groups that camp and hike. Ponytails, too.

scooterdogma
10-09-2009, 07:40
I second Marta & Mags post, I couldn't have said it better myself. Let your Mom read these posts and Trailjournals.com. Educate her to the beauty and the hardship of the trail. Both build character. I took a "gap year" out of HS and it was the best thing for me. I matured, had a better idea of where my talents would take me, and didn't waste my hard earned money on a year in college where I had no idea of what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. Go with your gut and embrace your choice.

Yukon
10-09-2009, 07:55
I say do it after high school, it will give you time to think about your mahor and what you want to do with your life...

double d
10-09-2009, 08:51
As mentioned by others in responds to your posts, a lot of hiking is self reliance, therefore, maybe you should pay for your thru hike with a summer job and not have your mother pay for it, as I'm sure she has already spent a lot of money on you at your age (15). I think a gap year is a wonderful thing, I'm thinking of one myself, so at 15, you have learned one important thing, seize the day.

PeterPan85
10-09-2009, 10:45
Go to college first; if you do not want to go to college after your thru-hike, it will not matter. You will already have a degree to use in the far future, should you choose.

ShelterLeopard
10-09-2009, 11:20
Do it NOW. Or right after high school. You know what I mean. All sorts of things will get in the way after college. Job offers, internship opportunities, etc... And the thing is, if you turn those offers down when you get them, it might be much harder to get those offers again. The best thing is to apply to college, then defer for a year (or two) so you'll be in and won't have to worry about applying and getting in and all that jazz. Definitely do if between high school and college. Also, you'll probably appreciate college much more after having some breathing time.

Besides, I think you handle college better when you're older, and you've had time to turn things over in your head, and all.

Wrangler88
10-09-2009, 19:05
Do it NOW. Or right after high school. You know what I mean. All sorts of things will get in the way after college. Job offers, internship opportunities, etc... And the thing is, if you turn those offers down when you get them, it might be much harder to get those offers again. The best thing is to apply to college, then defer for a year (or two) so you'll be in and won't have to worry about applying and getting in and all that jazz. Definitely do if between high school and college. Also, you'll probably appreciate college much more after having some breathing time.

Besides, I think you handle college better when you're older, and you've had time to turn things over in your head, and all.

Yep. I agree.

blake
11-10-2009, 23:28
Go as soon as possible. Make someday into today (or as soon as possible). If you have a goal that you really want to do, why wouldn't you do everything in your power to attain said goal as soon as possible?

Jack Tarlin
11-10-2009, 23:39
Here's a thought.....

Forget about the A.T. altogether for a moment.

The key question is this: Are you ready to go to college, and do you REALLY want to go right now?

If yes, then that's probably what you should do.

But if not, then it's perfectly OK to consider some alternatives, among them work, travel, or a combination of the two. But if you don't 100% want to be in college right now, then in all truth, you may well be wasting time and money if you go anyway.

School isn't going anywhere. And a lot of folks do better if they start college
when they're a bit older. (But on the other hand, I know of folks who think they'd have gotten more out of their hikes at 22 than they did at 18 so this works both ways).

But really, don't make your decision based on pleasing your folks. They'll be happy and proud of you if you do well in school. They'll feel the same if you manage to complete a thru-hike, too.

You win, whatever you decide.

earlyriser26
11-11-2009, 06:37
Most people have 3 choices, before college, right after college, or at retirement. That is if you want to attempt a thru. Thing come at you fast in life, so the earlier the better. I was too practical to do take the first 2 options. Maybe you should ask yourself this, does it have to be a thru hike or can I do it over 2 or 3 summers during college. You could even register for college and start a summer long section hike and leave your options open to just keep going. good luck.

garlic08
11-11-2009, 11:16
As mentioned by others in responds to your posts, a lot of hiking is self reliance, therefore, maybe you should pay for your thru hike with a summer job and not have your mother pay for it, as I'm sure she has already spent a lot of money on you at your age (15). I think a gap year is a wonderful thing, I'm thinking of one myself, so at 15, you have learned one important thing, seize the day.

Ditto this. Pay for everything yourself after HS graduation. It took me seven years to get through college working as much as I could, another year to pay off student loans. That taught me more about self-reliance, self-respect and self-worth than a walk in the woods, especially one paid for by Mom, ever could. A few years later I'd worked enough to afford the walking time, too.

white_russian
11-11-2009, 11:42
So what happens when you graduate and mom decides that she doesn't want to pay for the hike anymore?

My mother made all kind of promises about money for college and actually came through about 1/3 of the time.

ShelterLeopard
11-11-2009, 11:47
Sounds familiar! I just decided I'm paying my own way, all the way. My father volunteered to "chip in" a thousand if I finished a college course while I took time off... seems to have mysteriously forgotten about it. But this is my hike, and I feel like I need to pay for it all myself. (Well, I had no qualms about asking for a few essential gear items for christmas... but that's different).

I think this is your journey of independence- and if your mother finances your whole way, you aren't really independent, are you?

Jeff
11-11-2009, 12:46
I think this is your journey of independence- and if your mother finances your whole way, you aren't really independent, are you?

There is alot of truth to this quote !!!!!!

didymus128
11-11-2009, 14:33
i'm going to say mom is right on this one. I am doing a thru in 2011, after finishing school the december before. A thru hike will make a fantastic transitional time after college. No better place to put real life on hold and loiter than the trail!

ARambler
11-11-2009, 14:50
SL this is a good way of putting it. I felt a little stoggy saying I don't like the idea of postponing college so you will be better prepared for it. The average student has a 3/4 chance of successfully completing college, while the average thru hiker has a 3/4 chance of not finishing the trail. The maturity, endurance, and finances for someone in your position will be much greater after college. Also, after college, you should be doing the Continental Divide Trail. I don't see why you will not have completed the AT in the summers of 2011 and 2012, and the Pacific Crest Trail while in college.

btw: What was your plan? Wait until the March after graduation to start? Start nobo in June? sobo from June to November and wait until September to start college? Get High School credit for hiking (and perhaps writing about it) finishing in late August, and going to college on time? something else?
Rambler

James Fetter
11-11-2009, 16:06
This is the best response I have seen here. Get accepted to your college of choice and apply for entrance in the Spring Semester vs. the Fall Semester. You can get it all that way.

Ramble~On
11-12-2009, 15:19
I'd hike prior to college. The experience of the trail will stick with you the rest of your life and it might even steer you in a direction that you haven't considered. :-? When you finish college....hike it again!

Hiking the entire trail isn't a sure thing and if you didn't finish after high school...it would be there during breaks and upon graduation from college.