PDA

View Full Version : Standing Indian Loop

MadHiker56
10-07-2009, 17:00
How many miles is the Standing Indian Loop trail? To get back to the Standing Indian campground do you keep heading north on the AT past Big Spring Shelter to a horse trail that heads east? Got this info from the sherpa guides website.

JTCruiser
10-07-2009, 17:26
How many miles is the Standing Indian Loop trail? To get back to the Standing Indian campground do you keep heading north on the AT past Big Spring Shelter to a horse trail that heads east? Got this info from the sherpa guides website.

You can do it different ways depending on how much time/distance you want. When I did it this spring, I got there late in the afternoon and parked in the Standing Indian Backcountry lot (good place to leave a car), hiked through the campground and up Kimsey Creek Trail to Deep Gap, about 3 miles. Stealth camped that night near Deep Gap. Next day, hiked to Carter Gap Shelter and camped there, about 8.5 miles. Third day, hiked ~11 miles from Carter Gap to a hilltop view campsite (highly recommended) about 1.2 miles short of Rock Gap. Next morning, hiked to Rock Gap and then about 2 more miles on road back to the Backcountry Lot. Makes a nice loop when done this way, and a lot of it on the AT. Of course, you could easily cut a day out of this schedule--I wasn't in a rush.

BTW, if you take the shortcut through the campground to get to Kimsey Creek Trail, you will save some distance but probably will have to wade a couple creeks--otherwise, you can follow the signs for Kimsey Creek Trail from the parking lot and keep feet dry.

JTCruiser
10-07-2009, 17:31
Also, this is a great hike in a beautiful area--highly recommend it. One of the best sections I have seen.

Summit
10-07-2009, 18:26
Search "Standing Indian" and you'll get a lot of details that I and others have posted. It's a 24-mile loop going up the Kimsey Creek Trail to Deep Gap, N. on AT to Glassmine Gap (3 mi past Big Spring shelter), left (WEST) blue blaze trail in Glassmine Gap is the Long Branch Trail back down to the Backcountry Parking lot just outside Standing Indian Campground.

In one of those other thread that your search will dig up, Ron Haven has provided a hand-drawn map that may be helpful. You can bypass some senseless detour around the campground by going up thru the campground past the amphitheater and the group camping area to hit the Kimsey Creek Trail.

max patch
10-07-2009, 19:07
You can bypass some senseless detour around the campground by going up thru the campground past the amphitheater and the group camping area to hit the Kimsey Creek Trail.

Standing Indian Campground is closed until next May for construction. So depending on what they are doing - I don't have a clue - you might have to take that pesky detour after all.

Summit
10-07-2009, 19:33
Standing Indian Campground is closed until next May for construction. So depending on what they are doing - I don't have a clue - you might have to take that pesky detour after all.I doubt it's closed to just walking thru it. More likely just closed to vehicles (gate closed) and camping. All the more need for Ron's map because you can't stop and ask campers how to get to the closer trailhead.

bigmac_in
10-07-2009, 21:15
Standing Indian Campground is closed until next May for construction. So depending on what they are doing - I don't have a clue - you might have to take that pesky detour after all.

The nice lady at the camp store told me a few weeks ago when I was there that they are closing the campground to put in new bathrooms and showers.

Summit
10-07-2009, 21:29
The nice lady at the camp store told me a few weeks ago when I was there that they are closing the campground to put in new bathrooms and showers.Awesome! May have to take the family there next year for a few days. Although the kids are all grown and all but one will be married by then . . . may have to bribe them into it! :eek:

MadHiker56
10-07-2009, 23:33
Thanks for the help guys