PDA

View Full Version : Trimming weight for a GSMNP thru hike

Trek5000
10-07-2009, 21:57
I am planning a last week in October GSMNP thru hike starting at Fontana Dam. I am working on trimming my overall pack weight as much as possible. My tent weighs about 5 1/2 pounds and I would LOVE to eliminate that weight from my pack since I have all my shelter reservations in place. I know that is a risk since any of the shelters could be full when I get there, even if I have a permit. Based on this time of year, can anyone tell me what kind of chance that all of the shelters would be full up? Shelters will be Mollies Ridge, Derrick Knob, Double Springs Gap, Icewater Spring, Pecks Corner, Cosby Knob, and Davenport Gap. Thanks!

Blissful
10-07-2009, 22:31
If you have a shelter reservation for each of the shelters - which you are required to have for shelters in the Smokies as a section hiker (ridge runners do patrol) you will have a space so a tent is not usually needed. I'm not talking about the permit. You need reservations based on what you plan to hike. See their web site for details.

Though I would bring a tent anyway for emergency.

DaveJohns
10-08-2009, 01:12
Pack a silnylon tarp as a backup?

keerthi
10-09-2009, 06:49
click here to know more (http://www.google.com)

Marta
10-09-2009, 06:55
When I did the Smokies as a section, and had reservations in each shelter, I carried a mylar body bag as an emergency shelter, and left the tent at home. Much lighter, and chances are you won't need it anyway, but if you do, you're covered.

Doctari
10-09-2009, 12:06
I would carry a light weight tarp & ground cover AT THE LEAST! Just in case.
A good reason can be found here: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19269

I know you aren't staying at all these, but food for thought:
The double spring shelter is only 2 miles from a parking lot.
Mt Collins Shelter is a bit over 1/2 mile from a road.
Icewater shelter 3 miles from Newfound gap.
Davenport gap shelter is about 1 mile from a parking lot.
SO, easy access by tourists and vandals.

The tarp will also do double duty for a nice place to take a mid day nap or have lunch.

Have a good hike, that is a nice section. I seem to remember the north end as having the best views. Be sure to take a side trip to: Mt Cammerer fire tower & Charlies Bunion. Personally I would push on the 2 miles to Standing Bear Hostel instead of staying at Davenport gap. But that's just me.

gregdog
10-09-2009, 13:34
agree with comments above, always have shelter. I've been in the park and late hikers with a reservation showed up, and the shelter had a group of 4-5 guys with no reservation who would not leave when they asked them to. the hikers with the reservation had to put up a tent next to the shelter. this was at spence field. I've read here over the past few years how tough the rangers are on the regulations in GSMNP, and maybe it was just a fluke when we went through it in 2006, but there was no regulation of the shelters then. I guess if they're low on staff they can't be on the trail to enforce the rules.

great hike though.

TwoForty
10-09-2009, 23:57
You can ditch the tent. I always did when hiking exclusively on the main ridge. For a factor of safety, try getting a small 6x8 tarp from the hardware store or an army surplus store. Add 6 stakes and 30 ft of paracord and you will probably be at 2 lbs at so. You'll probably never use it.

Hillsinger
10-10-2009, 00:36
Be sure to check the GSMNP web site for updates on shelter and trail closings. I checked last week and two shelters were closed. Also, they have been having serious bear problems this year that resulted in several backcountry sites being closed.

88BlueGT
10-15-2009, 01:34
I don't think I would carry a tarp that large, its just definitely does not seem worth it to me. I would MUCH rather not carry the 2lbs and just get a nylon tarp from equinox or something.... you can get a 6x8 UL tarp for $60 bucks thats only 9oz. Especially if its just for emergency I think a tarp like that would be fine.