PDA

View Full Version : Walking With Freedom DVD

Lion King
08-08-2004, 14:39
Hello all, as those who hiked last year know, I and a couple of others out there were doing films, and or documentaries.

I am in the final editing stages at present on my project. I am happy at the response I have gotten from the hikers who have passed by this year who have watched some of it.

I will not only have the DVD but a seperate CD with the soundtrack in the same packaging, and after costs are met, a portion of profits will be going to the ATC to help out in some small way.

I appreciate the words of inspiration, and all the people who were into being a part of it during the haul last year.

Check out the website if you so choose, and a word about the videos on the website...although they are 'previews' for a lack of a better word, know that what I have now is better edited, and full of awesome music.

Peace
Lion King

or drop me an email

[email protected]

Walkingwithfreedom.com

Kerosene
08-08-2004, 20:54
Here's a direct link to the website for those of you who have trouble typing ;): http://www.walkingwithfreedom.com (http://www.walkingwithfreedom.com/)

SavageLlama
08-10-2004, 20:47
Great clips on your site. Can't wait for the dvd.. when and where can we get it?

JimSproul
08-10-2004, 21:42
I enjoyed the clips. They are well worth the download time.

LionKing
08-19-2004, 13:08
I am going through another edit right now, but it should be 'done' within a month. I am taking addresses and sending out postcards and what have you to those interested when it is ready.

I appreciate the interest.

For some reason the email I listed here isnt working, I will try to come up with another or you can leave a note on my message board at Walkingwithfreedom.com with your email, and I can contact you that way.

Lk:bse

LionKing
08-23-2004, 12:43
My media guy lives in Dallas.
Cool.
Thanks for the interest:jump

I enjoyed the clips. They are well worth the download time.

Lion King
09-10-2004, 12:03
Hopefully, one fo the versions of the DVD will be at The Whitebalze get together....sending ATTroll one out today.

LK

walkingwithfreedom.com

attroll
09-10-2004, 12:18
Hopefully, one fo the versions of the DVD will be at The Whitebalze get together....sending ATTroll one out today.

LK

walkingwithfreedom.com
Hope to see you there as well to show it.

Lion King
09-11-2004, 14:53
Yeah, me too...just depends on 'Tricks'...if he makes it through here, then I will be there. If not, make sure to mention that 'No Purist were injured in the making of this documentary" ;)

LK

LionKing
09-21-2004, 08:59
Well dang...not a way to get it there, but at least the couple of screenings here have gone fantastic, getting great reviews and words from hikers and nonhikers...my favorite thing is hearing, "It makes me wanna go hike", or "Finally, something I can show my family so they will know what this FEELS like."

Got about 67 orders for it and it aint even ready yet...although it is Really really close.

Maybe next WBG.

LK

Lone Wolf
12-16-2004, 14:53
Just finished watching "Walking With Freedom". It's a damn good flick! I'm an old veteran with thousands of miles on the AT but it makes me want to get out and hike again NOW! Great job Lion King. Great music too. Gotta love the blue-blaze T-shirt he wears in the flick. I wonder where he got it?

wacocelt
12-16-2004, 15:59
I can't DL anything on this computer, but will check out your material as soon as possible. Were you at Ms. Janets in 03' when Radar was showing his trail movie? I remember that Tripp and I met you there that year, but not if we watched the movie together.

I'm looking forward to seeing/buying a copy!

Edit:: Assuming ofcourse that you're THE Lion King that my wife and i met that year. Bleh, assumptions...

Lone Wolf
12-16-2004, 16:00
You and Tripp are in the DVD.

wacocelt
12-16-2004, 16:02
Wow, thanks LW. I'll be buying copies for all the friends and family as well then!

Lion King
12-16-2004, 21:37
Thanks Wolf, I am glad you enjoyed it.

Im still getting the kinks out of my DVD burner, and hope to have it packaged and what have you soon.

I will get you a 'pure' HA! copy in the fine print package, but for now, enjoy the rough edged Blue Version ;)

LK

Yeah That was me, front porch, got you and her, Noamd and JoJo, Doc and Llama as well...good stuff...

Lion King
12-21-2004, 20:19
Did your DVD arrive yet???

And Fub, PM me if you want a copy

Lion King
12-29-2004, 16:05
Your DVDs should arrive in a day or two...mailed them off yesterday morning.

wacocelt
12-29-2004, 16:10
I'm going to have to watch it later, much later, as I leave tomorrow for Springer. I'm sure my better half and my wonderful mother in law will enjoy watching it though, thanks again. Be well, hope to see you out there somewhere this year!

Christopher

TankHiker
12-29-2004, 16:28
Thanks, LK! Not many people are lucky enough to have the day they summited Katahdin on film. Willow and I are looking forward to watching it! :D

-TANK

Lion King
12-29-2004, 20:45
I'm going to have to watch it later, much later, as I leave tomorrow for Springer. I'm sure my better half and my wonderful mother in law will enjoy watching it though, thanks again. Be well, hope to see you out there somewhere this year!

Christopher
Springer? I thought you said...

well, its on the way...

wacocelt
12-30-2004, 12:57
Springer? I thought you said...

Hehe, I don't recall what I said, but you'll be getting the money whether I'm hiking or not brother man, no worries! You're too big of a fella to be rippin' off! :D

Lion King
12-30-2004, 15:19
Hehe, I don't recall what I said, but you'll be getting the money whether I'm hiking or not brother man, no worries! You're too big of a fella to be rippin' off! :D

Not worried about the money, was hoping to hear your opinion...and your happyness of your 'star' moment.

dharmabum86
12-30-2004, 15:38
1. Did you ever post an email where I can buy the DVD or is it on the website and I missed it?
2. WHITEBLAZE get together???? What is this...I'm a newbie:sun
Brandi

Lion King
12-31-2004, 17:44
1. Did you ever post an email where I can buy the DVD or is it on the website and I missed it?
2. WHITEBLAZE get together???? What is this...I'm a newbie:sun
Brandi
PM me here if you are interested.

I am waiting to hear the opinions of those three right now...hoping everyone is pelased with what they see...making tiny tweaks here and there....but it is done....I am the kind of person who see's little things that need a fix, so I fix them...Miss Janet got hers, so thats cool....Hope she liked it.

djessop
01-01-2005, 19:39
Hey, great clips! Made me more excited for my trip. Also, you have a fast server which makes it even better, no download time.

Just 8 days to go!@

David
http://www.trailjournals.com/djessop

Lion King
01-05-2005, 13:27
Hey, great clips! Made me more excited for my trip. Also, you have a fast server which makes it even better, no download time.

Just 8 days to go!@

David
http://www.trailjournals.com/djessop
Cool and good luck...Did Miss Janet and Tank DVD arrive saefly and play correctly?

Always a concern at this stage, I am pretty sur I have all the DVDs playing and formatted correctly...dont wanna leave anyone hanging.

Mountain Dew
01-08-2005, 02:27
Lion King...I look forward to someday buying your video as i am busy editing my own AT video from 2003. I have over 13 hours to edit down including my Mt. K day which includes the biggest summit day ever..."possibly"... 47+ "thru-hikers".

TankHiker
01-09-2005, 00:05
I just finished watching Walking with Freedom. Wow, I enjoyed it. It gave me goosebumps!

Of the 4 AT docs I have seen, this one best represents a thru-hike. It shows a lot of the fun and trail magic that hikers find along the way. But I really liked all the footage of wildlife and stunning scenery. That is, after all, what we spend most of our time seeing on the trail. And it is backed with an impressive soundtrack.

For those who bought Appalachian Impressions, I think this doc complements it very well (and vice versa). While that one was more informative, Walking with Freedom is more into life on the trail.

I highly recommend this doc to everyone. It's my favorite AT doc that I have seen thus far. Well done, Lion King.

-TANK :clap :clap :clap

Tha Wookie
01-09-2005, 01:09
Good review above!

I look forward to seeing it.

I know what kind of person and creative spirit Lion King is, so I expect to hear many more good reviews, and hope to be making some of my own soon.

:D

LionKing
01-12-2005, 19:16
I just finished watching Walking with Freedom. Wow, I enjoyed it. It gave me goosebumps!

Of the 4 AT docs I have seen, this one best represents a thru-hike. It shows a lot of the fun and trail magic that hikers find along the way. But I really liked all the footage of wildlife and stunning scenery. That is, after all, what we spend most of our time seeing on the trail. And it is backed with an impressive soundtrack.

For those who bought Appalachian Impressions, I think this doc complements it very well (and vice versa). While that one was more informative, Walking with Freedom is more into life on the trail.

I highly recommend this doc to everyone. It's my favorite AT doc that I have seen thus far. Well done, Lion King.

-TANK :clap :clap :clap
thanks, and I am glad you guys enjoyed it, and as far as your scenes, you are a man of few words and Willow is a women of even fewer. :)

The Big K sign with you guys and LM with the Blue Sky behind you I really liked a lot.

wacocelt
01-12-2005, 20:25
And I'm not offering you a snack bar! Your DVD hit the nail on the head LK, truly amazing. Your wildlife shots are absolutely incredible, I can understand why people would think them staged, LOL. I really enjoyed the transition you did between the caged bears and the 'free range' ones.
Above all what I admire about your presentation is that you don't candy coat the trail, you voice your discomfort as well as your wonder and awe. Great job!

Christopher 'Alpha'

LionKing
01-12-2005, 21:58
Good review above!

I look forward to seeing it.

I know what kind of person and creative spirit Lion King is, so I expect to hear many more good reviews, and hope to be making some of my own soon.

:D
In the mail this morning...SHould get it by Monday...maybe even Saturday..who knows with the USPS.

Love to you guys, hope to see you sometime out there somewhere.

LionKing
01-12-2005, 22:04
And I'm not offering you a snack bar! Your DVD hit the nail on the head LK, truly amazing. Your wildlife shots are absolutely incredible, I can understand why people would think them staged, LOL. I really enjoyed the transition you did between the caged bears and the 'free range' ones.
Above all what I admire about your presentation is that you don't candy coat the trail, you voice your discomfort as well as your wonder and awe. Great job!

Christopher 'Alpha'
Thank you so much. It is important to me that people I know who hike a lot feel that way, and for those who want to know what it 'feels' like...this might give them a feeling, minus the actual pain. :D
But then again, if they want to , they can hit themselves in the ankles with a hammer while sitting in a room filled with all kinds of biting bugs with the tempertaure in the house set to about 102, and a sprinkler running while they watch...that might do it.

Cheers
LK

Tha Wookie
01-13-2005, 00:07
In the mail this morning...SHould get it by Monday...maybe even Saturday..who knows with the USPS.

Love to you guys, hope to see you sometime out there somewhere.
LK-

Just so you know, everything that comes down here seems to take a long freaking time. But as soon as we get it we are firing up the... uh... surround sound!

We are both so eagerly waiting for your production...

Wook and Island Mama

ToeJam
01-14-2005, 17:08
Wow! :) I watched stuff form the site last night and we LOVED it! We were laughing our hedas off at the part where you say "every step I take is excruciating"< and how the Dr said to take quite awhile off your feet etc, and then two seconds later, "well yeah it hurts a LITTLE but that's not gonna stop me" and WHAM there you are "Well, I took one day off, and I'm back on the trail" lol! Its all so relative!

I have to say I love your style! I am going to PM you to see about getting a copy when they are available - kudos to the great job you have done from what I have seen, and best of luck on selling it (and our special secret world) to everyone else! I can't wait to show my family either!

LionKing
01-16-2005, 18:01
Wow! :) I watched stuff form the site last night and we LOVED it! We were laughing our hedas off at the part where you say "every step I take is excruciating"< and how the Dr said to take quite awhile off your feet etc, and then two seconds later, "well yeah it hurts a LITTLE but that's not gonna stop me" and WHAM there you are "Well, I took one day off, and I'm back on the trail" lol! Its all so relative!

I have to say I love your style! I am going to PM you to see about getting a copy when they are available - kudos to the great job you have done from what I have seen, and best of luck on selling it (and our special secret world) to everyone else! I can't wait to show my family either!
They for sure will be available and packaged by Trail Days. Some are ready now, you have mail.

Thank you for the kind words.

LK

foggy-bottom
01-16-2005, 21:31
Hey lk how do we get a copie? Do we place an order and where?
THanks man
Foggy-Bottom

LionKing
01-31-2005, 18:27
Foggy your should be there by now, and I wonder if Wookie gots his?

Just to let you guys know the sundance thing went well. The city shut down my climbing wall, bastids, but the place I did the screening filled up. Great response from the nonhiking community and POV and Discovery requested a copy to look over.

Backpacker and Leki are doing a screeening at Trail Days on Friday Night, so I guess those who still want a copy will be able to buy one there, in pretty packaging and all.

C yas
LK

foggy-bottom
02-10-2005, 00:13
What an absoultly fantastic video by Lion King A must for all to see. :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Foggy

Mountain Dew
02-13-2005, 03:59
As a fellow hiker who is working on his own A.T. video I'm curious to know what the laws about filming in state/national parks are. I've heard from Carolina Cruiser that you have to pay $150 for every day you filmed in a national/state park. (assuming you used that footage in a film...for profit). Lynn Wheldon probably knows this answer, but he isn't on whiteblaze. I am assuming almost nobody pays the fees and just gets away with it because the park service is under manned. :-?

Mausalot
02-13-2005, 15:40
You are supposed to get permission if you are shooting a 'professional' video. However, if you don't throw down a tripod or whip out a lot of lighting gear, I think you'll be okay.

Cameraman:dance

2000 Miles to Maine: Adventures on the Appalachian Trail (http://www.trailmovie.com)

LionKing
02-13-2005, 16:01
You are supposed to get permission if you are shooting a 'professional' video. However, if you don't throw down a tripod or whip out a lot of lighting gear, I think you'll be okay.

Cameraman:dance

2000 Miles to Maine: Adventures on the Appalachian Trail (http://www.trailmovie.com/)
Thats what I did.

I did it alone, carried a camera, filmed where I felt I should, and edited it.
I didnt have a grant to cover such costs, I barely had enough to even make it, I only want to show how much I care about the trail, and outdoors in general.
Never used lighting, other then natural, never used a tripod, and had no crew, just carried that heavy ass camera for too many miles.

Mountain Dew
02-14-2005, 03:36
So are there any laws requiring a person to pay a few to use the film they took in state and national parks ? :-?

Mountain Dew
02-15-2005, 03:12

Rain Man
02-15-2005, 12:40
As a fellow hiker who is working on his own A.T. video I'm curious to know what the laws about filming in state/national parks are.

Then contact the National Park Service and ask them, why don't you?

Why all the jibber-jabber and guessing and hypothesizing? Just get the real, truthful, complete, and honorable answer.

Then come back and let us know.
:sun
Rain Man

Mountain Dew
02-15-2005, 14:50
I think I just might do that. Most likely I'll get passed around via phone with nobody knowing the real answer, but we shall see. I figured I ask on WB because people that have done exactly what I am doing frequent the threads. :o Seems like nobody here has looked into it at all.

The Old Fhart
02-15-2005, 15:46
I had posted this on geocaching.com about a similar question. While it isn't an exact answer, you might find it interesting. I'll see if can find a better reference when I have more time
+++++++++++++++++++
Yup, taking photographs can be "illegal" but a lot of people do it because they don't know the complexities of the law. Click here (http://naturephotographer.net/newbigimage.php?ID=768&ImageCategory=california_coast) to see the Lone Cypress Tree at the Pebble Beach Golf Club that is copyrighted. If you click, go to this site, and read the caption under the picture it state that ALL photos taken of this tree by anyone are the property of the golf club. Apparently a lot of National Parks are forcing anyone who looks like a professional photographer to pay for a permit as well. National security issues (real or imagined) prohibit photos in many areas. Museums prohibit photos for both intelectial property reasons and light from flashes affecting paintings, etc..

Think of this issue like reading a library book. You can read it as many times as you like but if you decide you want to copy the book so you'll have your own copy, you've broken the law. If you want a legal copy of the book you have to buy one. The price of the book can be considered to include a license for you to own the book.

soccrosse
02-20-2005, 00:28
Lion King - I got my copy in the mail this afternoon and quickly started my first viewing. You did a great job of capturing the essence of the trail! Thanks for all the hard work. I really thought the background music you chose for the film was outstanding and did a great job of complimenting your work. Again thanks!!

Soccrosse

The Hog
02-20-2005, 07:25
I used to work at the Nat. Park Service Audiovisual Center in Harpers Ferry - that's the first I've heard of such a regulation. If it's true, it's unenforceable and illogical. National Park property is our property as U.S. citizens. I don't know about you, but I will pointedly ignore such a regulation, if it indeed exists.

The Old Fhart
02-20-2005, 10:03
Although the following information was from this site, (http://www.nps.gov/dena/home/visitorinfo/programs/propho/cfguidelines.html) which is about Denali, it is representative of all NPS locations.

Commercial Filming program: Guidelines

The policy of National Park Service (NPS) is to allow commercial filming and photography when it is consistent with the protection and public enjoyment of park resources. NPS policy requires that primary consideration be given to safety, potential resource damage and anticipated disruption of normal visitor use.

To assure protection of the parks’ cultural, historic and natural resources, all commercial photography requests involving the use of NPS lands must be approved through a permitting process initiated through the Park Superintendent or his/her representative.

Tools for management and enforcement of the permitting system can be found in Director’s Order #53, RM-53 Special Park Uses, National Park Service Management Policies and Title 36, Part 5.5 and Title 43, Part 5 of the Code of Federal Regulations.

The Superintendent or his/her designated representative has the authority to determine when a permit for filming will be issued and has the discretionary right to waive any requirement involved in the permitting process.

STILL PHOTOGRAPHY

The NPS does not require a permit for still photographers, commercial or non-commercial, when going or doing anything that members of the visiting public are generally allowed to go or do without a permit. This is true whether or not the photographer uses tripods, strobe lights, or interchangeable lenses. Coverage of breaking news never requires a permit, but is subject to restrictions and conditions necessary to protect park resources, public health and safety and to prevent impairment or derogation of park resources, values or purposes.

A permit is required if the Superintendent determines there is a potential of a photography project's harming or having an impact on the park's natural, cultural or recreational resources, or creating unacceptable health or safety risks, or disrupting visitor use and enjoyment. A permit is also required pursuant to 36 CFR 5.5(b) for persons taking photographs of vehicles, other articles of commerce or involves the use of a model, set or prop for the purpose of commercial advertising.

If a photography permit is required, the NPS will impose conditions necessary to accomplish the needed resource protection or visitor enjoyment objectives. Liability insurance requirements and other stipulations will commensurate with the scope of the project. For advertising photography, it is appropriate to impose a permit condition that prohibits implied or stated Service endorsement of the advertised product or service.In other places I have seen them define "commercial filming and photography" as shot by a person who makes a certain specified percentage of their income by photography. This is fairly complicated but basically the rules state that as long as you are not doing anything that a visitor without a video camera is doing, you are o.k.. What some concerned NPS employees are doing is just telling some visitors who may look like professionals there is no filming period, which isn't true.

Slaughter
02-20-2005, 14:45
LK -

We got our copy and loved it. Very nice job. I'll second the comment on the music choices too, I might have to go find some of those CD's. One question though - for the first 10-15 min. on our DVD all the transitions freeze up; after the first section there aren't any problems, but those first couple minutes haven't been functional despite our efforts to clean the disk etc. Had any other problems with that?

Thanks again!

LionKing
02-23-2005, 15:48
LK -

We got our copy and loved it. Very nice job. I'll second the comment on the music choices too, I might have to go find some of those CD's. One question though - for the first 10-15 min. on our DVD all the transitions freeze up; after the first section there aren't any problems, but those first couple minutes haven't been functional despite our efforts to clean the disk etc. Had any other problems with that?

Thanks again!
Dont sweat it sister.
Ill get you guys another copy out tomorrow!

LK

Lion King
03-07-2005, 15:47
oKELY DOKELY...

Wookie, your new one should be there, and I will have only 4
more of these to sale till Traildays, where I will have the packaged copies, which I will get out to the other people who have a copy of this one...word.

Friday May 13th...6-8 Rock School, free popcorn, free soda, come one come all!
Backpacker Screening

Bjorkin
03-07-2005, 17:31
Ling King,

I should have posted sooner but I received my copy of Walking with Freedom and it is fantastic! I think this is the perfect DVD for the hiker who knows all the details about the AT but now wants to know what the vibe is like. Great, great music as well. Music is a component missing from the other DVDs I've seen and that is a shame because your film shows how well it can be used. Any details on a soundtrack? I've never heard of most of those singers though I feel like I should.

It's easy to watch again and again because of it's flow, great music, and beautiful scenery shots. It's really the best trail DVD I've seen. I also enjoyed your on-camera editorials. It helps to be able to laugh at yourself and your sense of humor shined through. There's another AT DVD that is too "set-up" in it's editorial/descriptive shots but your style is much better as it feels much more natural not contrived at all.

I see you mentioned shipping out the packaged DVDs to the older owners. I hope I'm on that list because the only problem was my DVD had skip problems the first 3-4 minutes. I scanned past it and all was fine for the rest of the DVD. No biggie, but it would be nice to get a fixed copy when I watch with friends/family. I wasn't going to mention it until I saw your post on it.

Anyway, great job and thanks for hauling that camera to Katahdin!

Chris

Slaughter
03-07-2005, 17:40
Oooh yes, LK, would you post a list of artists and titles that you used on the soundtrack for the DVD? I know I know, it's listed at the end of the film. But it would be really nice to have it all written down for me, because I am lazy. :sun

Lion King
03-07-2005, 18:40
Well, I can tell you the opening and closing song is Packrat(Of 'Hikers Welcome' Glencliff NH fame) playing guitar, and Me singin, and the song DRAGONFLY that starts in Hanover is a freind of mine from Dallas, Matt Powell.

Other then that, I will have to watch the end and copy them...

Molly Bancroft is one,

Ironweed Bluegrass Band

Zoe Speaks

John Smith (Really)

Black Bottum Biscuts

sorry, the mind is slipping...

RockyTrail
03-21-2005, 11:52
Lion King:

I received the DVD this past weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it.
The scenery and flow is fantastic! You did a supurb job. I love the beginning section when you start out in Georgia with the bluegrass music backup (but then I'm a Georgia banjo picker so I'm partial to that!) but it's ALL great. That song sung later in the DVD about the Appalachian childhood memories is a pretty song too. I've not been to the northern AT (yet) but with the amazing scenery shots you have certainly whetted my appetite.

But I have to say the best part of the film is your directness and honesty about yourself. Some people would try to cover up the hardships, but the way you did it it's almost like the audience is riding along on your shoulder all the way to the Big K. Great job, I hope you do well with it. :sun :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Best Regards,
Rocky Trail

Hyway
03-21-2005, 12:06
If you have ever seen a real film crew in action you will understand the NPS's concern that they get a permit first. I live in Wilmington, NC - Hollywood East. A lot of filming takes place here and whether its a full length motion picture, a commercial or even a music video, these guys use a lot of equipment, people and vehicles. Plus they have the right, within the boundaries of their permit, to block your access and enjoyment of the particular area in which they are shooting.

Lion King
03-21-2005, 16:23
Lion King:

I received the DVD this past weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it.
The scenery and flow is fantastic! You did a supurb job. I love the beginning section when you start out in Georgia with the bluegrass music backup (but then I'm a Georgia banjo picker so I'm partial to that!) but it's ALL great. That song sung later in the DVD about the Appalachian childhood memories is a pretty song too. I've not been to the northern AT (yet) but with the amazing scenery shots you have certainly whetted my appetite.

But I have to say the best part of the film is your directness and honesty about yourself. Some people would try to cover up the hardships, but the way you did it it's almost like the audience is riding along on your shoulder all the way to the Big K. Great job, I hope you do well with it. :sun :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Best Regards,
Rocky Trail
thanks, Im in Transylvannia NC right now at "Seamsters" 2004 taking a day off. I appreciate the kind words hope to see ya at Trail Days.
LK out

Lion King
03-21-2005, 16:25
If you have ever seen a real film crew in action you will understand the NPS's concern that they get a permit first. I live in Wilmington, NC - Hollywood East. A lot of filming takes place here and whether its a full length motion picture, a commercial or even a music video, these guys use a lot of equipment, people and vehicles. Plus they have the right, within the boundaries of their permit, to block your access and enjoyment of the particular area in which they are shooting.

Whats a crew?

Hyway
03-21-2005, 16:48
Whats a crew?
:-? That could be why you didn't need a permit ...

Lion King
03-21-2005, 16:54
:-? That could be why you didn't need a permit ...:welcome

I do work on films, and when they are bigger with crews you do have to have permits, or at least permission. In cities, and shops, or stores, or on major roads that have to be closed down, or where noise reduction has to be planned in advance, or where you have to be sure the public will not walk into a shot etc...yuppers, I know.

I really hadnt heard anything about needing permits, so I didnt bother, plus I interviewed one of the Runners in the Smokys at the entrance, he not only gave a cool talk, but didnt mention a thing about needing a permit, so I plead ignorance, and it is blissful.:D

Hyway
03-21-2005, 17:13
I plan on picking up your DVD after the viewing at Traildays. Can't wait to see it or for traildays to get here again.

In wilmington its not hard to spot a shoot. There are usually a couple of tractor trailers, a few panel trucks, a catering truck, a couple RVs and miles of black cable lying averywhere.

mumblez
03-31-2005, 10:02
Hey Lion King did you get my PM? I'm interested in getting a copy of your film.

Jaybird
04-07-2005, 07:14
YO LION KING:

Got your "Walking with Freedom" DVD in the mail & immediatley watched it...

man, what an awesome movie & great editing.

UnBelievable Soundtrack...i'm ordering one!

Thanks for ALL your hard work on this project & thank you for sharing your hike with us. :D

see u out there: Apr 28-May 5(w/"the MOdel T crew")Hot Springs-Erwin
May 6 & 7 Carvers Gap - Erwin
May 8-20 Damascus-Pearisburg

ivanputski
04-13-2005, 11:27
How do I order one of the dvd's? I could not find any ordering info on the web site.:-?

Lion King
04-16-2005, 18:32
How do I order one of the dvd's? I could not find any ordering info on the web site.:-?
Sorry man, Trail Days will be when they will be available. Hope to see you there, Backpacker Mag will be doing my screening at The Rock School on Friday May 13th from 6-8, free drinks popcorn and some other stuff or so they tell me.
I will also have a booth set up out in the general boothy areas...so hope to wsee you and others there.

At Miss Janets in Erwin right now...taking a zero to allow the ankle swelling to subside, figure since I havent had a zero since Gatlinburg I was due.
Looks like my pad'na's in hiking are jumping to Damascus, Packrat, Shirt, Fat Chap...I'll catch up, hike, blue blaze, hitch, whateva...as I am all about hiking my own hike. :)

and again I would like to say thanks for all the positive feedback I have recieved thus far from everyone who has seen this film. You guys rock.

Lion King
04-16-2005, 18:34
YO LION KING:

Got your "Walking with Freedom" DVD in the mail & immediatley watched it...

man, what an awesome movie & great editing.

UnBelievable Soundtrack...i'm ordering one!

Thanks for ALL your hard work on this project & thank you for sharing your hike with us. :D

see u out there: Apr 28-May 5(w/"the MOdel T crew")Hot Springs-Erwin
May 6 & 7 Carvers Gap - Erwin
May 8-20 Damascus-Pearisburg
Glad you liked it! Thanks! See out there somewhere.

RockyTrail
04-16-2005, 20:33
...and again I would like to say thanks for all the positive feedback I have recieved thus far from everyone who has seen this film. You guys rock.LK:
Speaking of rocks...
How did you get the little kids to say " Hikers Rock! "?
That was hilarious, I was ROFL, did you give them a snickers bar to say that?:D
Great film, I've watched it several times now, take care of that ankle.

ROCKy Trail

petmac
04-21-2005, 13:35
how do i get a copy of walking with freedom LION KING? i would like to watch it before i hit the trail.

let me know

[email protected]
or PM

peace, love, and Johnny Cash

RockyTrail
04-21-2005, 17:09
how do i get a copy of walking with freedom LION KING? i would like to watch it before i hit the trail.

let me know

[email protected]
or PM

peace, love, and Johnny CashAccording to LK (see msg #67 above) he won't have any available until Trail Days in Damascus. I guess you could yellow blaze to there if you can't make it by then...

Mountain Dew
04-25-2005, 13:45
What's the general premise of the movie ? Does it simply show what long distance hikers go through or what ? Curious minds wanna know...

RockyTrail
04-25-2005, 15:15
The movie documents LionKing's GA-ME thru-hike in 2003. He carried a camcorder along and recorded it himself, a one-man operation. In the movie he meets various folks along the trail and works his way up to Katahdin. Lots of interviews and scenery accompanied by an interesting soundtrack, it's like you're riding along on his shoulder all the way to Maine including the injuries, trials, tribulations, and the joys of a long-distance hike. Wildlife shots and local color add a lot to this movie, also fantastic scenery, especially the northeastern AT.

He did a great job, I really liked it!:sun

Tha Wookie
04-25-2005, 15:33
Island Mama, Basil, and I really like it also. The soundtrack really does warrant it's own release. Great stuff!

Lion King
04-27-2005, 11:43
Island Mama, Basil, and I really like it also. The soundtrack really does warrant it's own release. Great stuff!
We are working on that right now. We had planned on including a music CD with the DVD, but couldnt get those rights for a few songs in time, so hopefully we will be able to release it alone or with the next printing.
Thanks again.

Lion King
05-11-2005, 11:31
Got a whole bunch of DVDs coming to Damascus today.
Come out ya'll

Screening Friday May 13th from 6-8.
Rock School

Hope to see you all at Trail Days...Im here till then now.

attroll
05-11-2005, 12:20
Got a whole bunch of DVDs coming to Damascus today.
Come out ya'll

Screening Friday May 13th from 6-8.
Rock School

Hope to see you all at Trail Days...Im here till then now.

You better save one for me. I will see you there.

Lion King
05-11-2005, 13:56
You better save one for me. I will see you there.
I got about 700 of them, so I dont think it will be a problem!

I think I probally have quite a few more then I need, but who knows? Maybe there will be a mad run on them...then I could go and hike the PCT this year right after Trail Days...that would ROCK!

Its hot, waiting for Happy Hour at @ Mill.

.91 Drafts ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Lion King
06-17-2005, 18:08
For those who have been PMing me:

You can send $25 to
Michael Daniel
17541 GA HWY 33
Pavo GA 31778

or to
David Burrows
3823 Holland Ave
Dallas TX. 75219

Plus, I am hoping to have a screening at The Gathering this October. Hope all is well, and sorry to not get this up before now.