PDA

View Full Version : Katadyn Hiker vs Katadyn Hiker Pro

lazy river road
10-08-2009, 14:17
Im gonna purchase one of these two fliters but cant tell the difference between the two from the web site. They both weigh the same and pump the same amount of water...what is the difference between the two....any personel testimonials.....:D

tenbeer
10-08-2009, 14:30
I did some trail magic back in 08 for two thru hikers in Daleville Va. They both had the same filter and were broken in the same place. I believe it was the hiker, and they were broken where the outlet tube connected on to the pump. They both liked the filter and the outfitter repaired both for free. I don't know if they corrected this for 09 or not. I use the msr miniworks and love it. You might want to consider this filter also. I have seen only positive reviews on this filter. You have to clean the filter cartridge quite often, but it is a quick easy procedure. When clean it pumps fast and with considerable ease.

Jester2000
10-08-2009, 14:31
Im gonna purchase one of these two fliters but cant tell the difference between the two from the web site. They both weigh the same and pump the same amount of water...what is the difference between the two....any personel testimonials.....:D

I think the main difference is the quick connectors with the Hiker Pro, which you may not need. Replacement cartridge for both is the same.

wrongway_08
10-08-2009, 20:28
Have the hiker pro. Need to be careful to keep filter clean, otherwise pressure build up can cause the handle to break.

Also had mine split at the seam where the pump handle slides up and down. They fixed for free but this time I reinforced the seam with epoxy and thin plastic - just to make sure it doesnt happen again.
You can still use the filter with the split but youll need to cover it with your palm while pumping.

Still i like the pump and will keep using it.

On the filter, I toss the plastic cover and stupid plastic stretch fit thing. When it starts to clog I just place in the stream and run my fingers back and forth over the filter material untill it clears. Usually get a few months of constant use before the filter paper wears a hole in itself.